PDA

View Full Version : Fable III: For the Chicken!

Callos_DeTerran
2010-10-28, 01:26 PM
I'm surprised I haven't seen a topic about this already to be honest. Fable III is out (in the states anyway) and I should be picking it up today. But what are people's impression of it so far? Play better? Mechanics differ in anyway?

........Can you find that bloody cook who shoots that brave brave chicken?

Comet
2010-10-28, 01:36 PM
I skipped Fable II, so I don't know how different this is to that. But from what I've heard and what I know of the series, this is pretty much the best Fable ever.
I haven't seen that much of the game, only up to the point where you get your Heroic Weapons or so. So far it's been greatness on a sandwich. Pretty scenery, lots of customization (and replay value!) and a story that seems to be pretty damn epic. And the battle animations are so very satisfying.

Also, the chicken lives, of this I am sure! There's no killing the spirit of rebellion and I think I saw a black-as-night chicken running around in the castle courtyard.

FoE
2010-10-28, 01:42 PM
I really want to get this and I'm going to get this, but I haven't had a chance to do so as I don't live near any decent stores. I'm just not sure when I'll get a chance to play it, as I need to finish DA: Awakening first.

The reviews are mostly good.

Deth Muncher
2010-10-28, 02:07 PM
I've run through the beginning of it and have my first Spell Gauntlet. It seems more like F2 and F1, which saddens me.

Ogremindes
2010-10-28, 05:01 PM
Y'know what? I'd bet money that you'll get imprisoned for an extended period as part of the story.

Domochevsky
2010-10-28, 05:22 PM
Y'know what? I'd bet money that you'll get imprisoned for an extended period as part of the story.

10 imagibucks say that it will happen in a completely avoidable fashion.

Avilan the Grey
2010-10-28, 05:44 PM
5 bucks says that Shamus will have just as much fun dismembering the idiot plot of this one too, like he did with Fable II (he is the reason I did not get neither games).

Domochevsky
2010-10-28, 05:51 PM
5 bucks says that Shamus will have just as much fun dismembering the idiot plot of this one too, like he did with Fable II (he is the reason I did not get neither games).

And as he did with Fable I. (Which i played... i was not amused by it. And after reading Shamus' rant on it i finally understood why.)

There's quite a pattern to Fable.

LordShotGun
2010-10-28, 05:55 PM
Well personally I enjoyied fable I (ahem, I "borrowed" it from a "friend" without "taking" it) and have not gotten fable II yet, and probably will not unless it shows up on steam since I just about ONLY buy my games on steam today.

Maxios
2010-10-28, 05:55 PM
100 imaginary bucks there's a monster named the Creeper that's behind Logan's actions in the game

Avilan the Grey
2010-10-28, 06:03 PM
And as he did with Fable I. (Which i played... i was not amused by it. And after reading Shamus' rant on it i finally understood why.)

There's quite a pattern to Fable.

Moulineaux is a very bad writer with a lot of pet issues. Reminds me of Joe Quesada actually...

Trazoi
2010-10-28, 06:21 PM
I enjoyed Fable 1 and 2 so I'll pick up 3 eventually - probably for Christmas or in the New Year. It's a love/hate sort of game - I find the settings wonderfully charming, the gameplay easy but still somewhat fun, but the stories themselves are so stupidly broken they're head-scratching. Fable 1 at least felt like an excuse plot, but Fable 2's story was just stupid. I'm hoping Fable 3 is better (the little I've read about the setting suggests promise) but I'd expect more of the same. Still going to get the game, even if it is only for combining magic and redcoats together.

Mewtarthio
2010-10-28, 06:41 PM
Do I get to kill Reaver? Slowly? Brutally? That is literally the one question that will determine whether or not I buy this game.
Kidding, of course. I expended all the benefit of the doubt on the last game, and will only consider buying this one if I hear reviews indicating that it is, indeed, a marked improvement.

Ranielle
2010-10-28, 06:42 PM
100 imaginary bucks there's a monster named the Creeper that's behind Logan's actions in the game

Then the said Creeper promptly explodes when Logan finds out it's behind him.

Hey that's what always happens to me.

BladeofOblivion
2010-10-29, 12:55 AM
My personal hope is that they make Skill an actually decent area to focus in.

In the first game, Melee was best, Spells were passable, and Bow use was likely to get you killed.

In the second, Spells became brokenly good due to the infinite Mana, Melee was as good as ever, and Skill actually got a little worse.

I played Fable II with a gunman anyway, as a self-imposed challenge. There are three things you can do to avoid a gory death: 1) Use headshots. 2) Use Nutshots to stun them. 3) Disarm them. It works OK.

Derthric
2010-10-29, 01:33 AM
I just beat Fable III and the story was better than 2 but honestly I liked the mechanics of Fable I the most. At the end of the main game before the lost chapters I felt powerful as a hero my spells rained death and destruction, and using multishot made ranged quite powerful. I haven't felt that way in 2 or 3, I dislike the spell charge ups, having to sit there charging and charging to get to the one that will actually stun the monsters heading towards me, just sucked the fun out of it, unlike chain lightning in the first. This time ranged and spells feel like their meant to be complimentary to melee and I never feel like the world changing, evil smashing hero I did in the first one.

On the plus side its Menu-lite style actually works really well for everything but shopping since it severely limits a stores selection. But the road to rule, sanctuary and only having one type of experience helps the flow of the game.

That said being king felt lacking, the way the time passed was more than flawed jumping by a few weeks then whole months. The decisions were alright but some of the either or choices were just inane. And I kept my promises and did the "right" thing every time except I went with the Brothel over the Orphanage. Which the game tells me let millions of my subjects die. What effect have I seen on the actual numbers of people in the game, none. Were all the main characters cheering me on at Sir Walter's Memorial, yep. The only point it was brought up was after that when the game told me I sucked for letting all those people die. I just thought being king would be more than a few fetch quests and poorly presented decisions

Ranielle
2010-10-29, 01:51 AM
Wonder why they delayed the PC version seeing it will inevitably end up being a mediocre port anyway.

Mystic Muse
2010-10-29, 02:04 AM
couple of spoilers so I'm putting it in a spoiler bar.
There are four options for weapons. Pistol, rifle, sword and hammer.

There is no health bar.

There are six spells. Sword, vortex, lightning, fireball, ice storm, force push, and blades.

Co-op doesn't suck although you have a few less things you can do if you're the second player (Mostly just being unable to interact with the plot) and the plot doesn't acknowledge the fact that you exist.

Reaver still sucks and doesn't die.

The plot isn't horrible like Fable 2's but still cliche.

There are a few posters on the loading screen that are disturbing.

If you play the main plot and are a girl, you still have to wear a beard as part of a disguise.

There are very few Homosexual or Bisexual NPCs.

Jobs are still highly abusable and so is buying and renting houses/businesses.

That's about all I can think of. I give it a 5/10 and only because the Co-op doesn't suck.

Nero24200
2010-10-29, 04:12 AM
Why are you not allowed to kill Reaver exactly? That always struck me as something really stupid.

You can make a hero dedicated to good and protecting innocents, but you're not allowed to stop one man from killing someone right in front of you after trying to sacrifice yourself? At least Fable 2's villan had some honest intentions - by the end of the game I wanted to kill Reaver more than the main villan.

Name_Here
2010-10-29, 08:54 AM
Why are you not allowed to kill Reaver exactly? That always struck me as something really stupid.

You can make a hero dedicated to good and protecting innocents, but you're not allowed to stop one man from killing someone right in front of you after trying to sacrifice yourself? At least Fable 2's villan had some honest intentions - by the end of the game I wanted to kill Reaver more than the main villan.

The first game I can see why they didn't let you kill him. He was a hero and blah blah blah.

This game though I thought that the first order of business in my new kingdom would be personally double tapping him and stripping all his possessions to pay for the war.

But nope apparently all is forgiven and dandy between us after his little "I'm going to try and kill you thing" forgetting all about his "Child Labor" thing and his "shooting people dead" thing.

To make it all the worse if you make all the good decisions as monarch you have to work through his company making him rich beyond measure.

Overall I liked the game. It brought the fun, had a reasonable storyline and let me feel like I was a true hero.

Driderman
2010-10-29, 10:50 AM
I've played for some hours now and so far the game feels exactly like Fable 2, only the stupidity of the series is really starting to loose its charm.

Seriously.

Firstly, either the controls are stupid or I am. You apparently have no say in which social interaction you do with people, unless you choose-unchoose the "interact" option until you get the interact option you want.
So far my princess' most used methods of communicating the rebellion to the people of Brightwall seems to be through playful hugs and dancing... Really.

Secondly, lack of anything resembling any sort of sensible xp or skill system really annoys me. Everything is apparently bought and/or rewarded with guild seals, which is arguably just an arbitrary system of reward/improvement as experience orbs.
At least the different xp forms made some sense. Apparently Industrial Albion is flooded with large metal objects relating to Heroes.

Lastly, the lack of menus really just means that everytime you need to change any little thing whatsoever, you have to return to the sanctuary. Want to switch weapons during a quest? Teleport back home, have a quick chat with John Cleese, spend time walking into another room, listen some more to John Cleese, approach the weapons storage area, click through weapon choices, choose weapons, listen even more to John Cleese, return to quest.
Want to change a clothing item? Do the same as above, except you have to go to another room.
Yeah, really nice we got rid of those annoying menus, indeed.

Oh yeah, and The Road To Rule? Its really just a menu, except your character has to walk around in it instead of just having a regular menu.

Despite this, I'm not really saying its a bad game.
Its just exactly what I expected it to be: Overhype Molyneux exaggerations that sounded a lot more interesting that what it really is, which is just another Fable game with some mildly interesting changes that aren't really that groundbreaking and also, dumbed down for the console gamer (okay a joke but seriously, no kind of stats whatsoever? Maybe we get coverbased shooting in the next Fable game too, for mucho originality?)

megabyter5
2010-10-29, 03:11 PM
Well, I haven't gotten too far in the game yet, but I think I've figured out why Theresa wanted the Spire. Before the end of II, she was just a blind seeress. Now she gets to introduce herself as Theresa, Seer of the Tattered Spire. So much more badass this way.

On a serious note, I love this game. The moral choices actually feel meaningful now. The evil choices really feel like a slippery slope from well-intentioned extremist to complete monster, and for once you actually need to work harder to do the right thing. Relationships are improved, and I was very happy to walk into town without being swarmed with marriage proposals. My only real complaint is that the lack of a health bar makes it difficult to judge when to use health potions.

Domochevsky
2010-10-29, 03:41 PM
Well, I haven't gotten too far in the game yet, but I think I've figured out why Theresa wanted the Spire. Before the end of II, she was just a blind seeress. Now she gets to introduce herself as Theresa, Seer of the Tattered Spire. So much more badass this way.

Well duh... she pretty much openly used you as a puppet in Fable 2 to get the Spire. >_>

What's that, Moral Choices? You build a brothel instead of an orphanage, so now millions of people died inexplicably? :smallbiggrin:

Androgeus
2010-10-29, 04:13 PM

well in II, you can't kill him otherwise Lucien would be able to complete the tower thingey and become supera duper powerful.
Reaver could break your idea of playing a principled character (ends don't justify the ends) but he is voiced by Stephen Fry so that makes it all better

Domochevsky
2010-10-29, 04:43 PM
well in II, you can't kill him otherwise Lucien would be able to complete the tower thingey and become supera duper powerful.

Was it ever explained how exactly he would do that? As far as i know he needed all 3 for the final ritual. Killing Reaver would actually prevent him from doing so.

Androgeus
2010-10-29, 04:56 PM
Was it ever explained how exactly he would do that? As far as i know he needed all 3 for the final ritual. Killing Reaver would actually prevent him from doing so.

Good point, I really can't remember the plot to II. I would have thought the tower atleast gave him a massive power boost which would require the Heroes to counteract.

One thing that does annoy me about the Fable series is people who don't like the games because of their hype. I mean sure, hate Lionhead and Molyneux, it's their own fault for raising your expectations above what they delivered, but not the actual game (judge the game on it's content, not promises).

megabyter5
2010-10-29, 06:40 PM
It's kind of interesting how good characters will end up needing millions of gold, and evil characters will have millions more than they could possibly need. In fact, after getting the key in the sanctuary, I bought every piece of property in Albion in a futile attempt to spend all my gold and get the chest. I would donate it to the treasury, but I'm evil!

My next thought was to give it away over Live. Unfortunately, when I made my XBLA account, years back, I set up parental controls using a dummy hotmail account, the password to which will only be sent to yet another dummy account, this one a yahoo. Without the password, I might as well start from scratch with a new account...

BladeofOblivion
2010-10-29, 07:21 PM

Not really. He was a deliberate Anticlimax boss even after he absorbed the power from the Spire and heroes. The only difference is that without Reaver, he might actually have finished his monologue... :smallamused:

Jane_Smith
2010-10-29, 07:32 PM
Anti-climatic would asume that their was a building of a climax to begin with, which fable 2 also failed to deliver.

Dhavaer
2010-10-29, 08:13 PM
The Princess just did a very strange looking finishing move when fighting bandits. I couldn't see exactly what it was due to poor lighting, but it looked as though she'd stepped up onto his shoulders and snapped his neck with her feet. Wacky.

BladeofOblivion
2010-10-29, 08:15 PM
Anti-climatic would asume that their was a building of a climax to begin with, which fable 2 also failed to deliver.

Very true. I'll change that to "would have been Anticlimactic if there was a climax at all."

Mystic Muse
2010-10-29, 08:17 PM
The Princess just did a very strange looking finishing move when fighting bandits. I couldn't see exactly what it was due to poor lighting, but it looked as though she'd stepped up onto his shoulders and snapped his neck with her feet. Wacky.

Yep. Love that one. Although I think it's her shins.

My cousin just got an awesome finisher. It looks like you crush the person's head but instead it flips them into the air and you hit them in midair.

I can't describe it very well but it was awesome.:smallbiggrin:

LordShotGun
2010-10-29, 08:29 PM

In the first game, Melee was best, Spells were passable, and Bow use was likely to get you killed.

WHAT!?!?! Bows were the BEST (not crossbows) aim for the head and usually its an instant kill. Get ghost arrows to multiply you damage by 2-3-4. Not only is this VERY powerful but it also allows you to get massive combat multipliers and level up quickly.

IMO spells were terrible except for the divine wrath and evil counterpart and melee was quite good as you said but its hard to get high combat multipliers.

Mystic Muse
2010-10-29, 08:50 PM
WHAT!?!?! Bows were the BEST (not crossbows) aim for the head and usually its an instant kill. Get ghost arrows to multiply you damage by 2-3-4. Not only is this VERY powerful but it also allows you to get massive combat multipliers and level up quickly.

IMO spells were terrible except for the divine wrath and evil counterpart and melee was quite good as you said but its hard to get high combat multipliers.

combat multipliers no longer exist.

BladeofOblivion
2010-10-29, 09:05 PM

Multishot is a good spell but spells are terrible? :smallconfused:

Enflame is actually an excellent spell, as is assassin rush if you know what you are doing. There are a few other gems, but what I was talking about was a pure skill build. Just dump that melee exp into health and toughness so you don't die as quickly, and use all the general exp towards skill. All of it. If you can beat 'Rescue the Archeologist' with this build, you are ReallyJoel's Dad. (Cookie for the reference!)

Also, find me one person who claims that they weren't annoyed at Maze spamming Enflame and pinning them in a corner of the lighthouse and I will show you a house of LIES.

Name_Here
2010-10-29, 09:29 PM
Good point, I really can't remember the plot to II. I would have thought the tower atleast gave him a massive power boost which would require the Heroes to counteract.

Don't worry it's never really explained why you need the 3 heroes to defeat Lucien Thresa just says you need to gather all 3 of the heroes and you never really get the option of refusing her "suggestions."

Of course once you get in there he freezes all the heroes and is only defeated because of the anchient music box that canceled out his power sucking powers. Possibly that was the only way for him to be defeated and killing Reaver would have ruined that chance.

One thing that does annoy me about the Fable series is people who don't like the games because of their hype. I mean sure, hate Lionhead and Molyneux, it's their own fault for raising your expectations above what they delivered, but not the actual game (judge the game on it's content, not promises).

Granted the game itself is still lacking in a couple ways but yeah people are a little too critical about the games. They are light fun games that never fail to deliver the fun.

Crow
2010-10-29, 09:37 PM

In the second, Spells became brokenly good due to the infinite Mana, Melee was as good as ever, and Skill actually got a little worse.

I played Fable II with a gunman anyway, as a self-imposed challenge. There are three things you can do to avoid a gory death: 1) Use headshots. 2) Use Nutshots to stun them. 3) Disarm them. It works OK.

Skill is actually quite powerful. Once you can make headshots, using a good rifle with the augment that lets you regain health on each strike makes you untouchable.

Oh, and killing Reaver would have prevented Lucien from getting the Spire operational, since all three were required to get it going. Teresa actually wanted all three of them there so she could have the spire after Lucien was out of the way.

Avilan the Grey
2010-10-30, 03:29 AM
Well duh... she pretty much openly used you as a puppet in Fable 2 to get the Spire. >_>

What's that, Moral Choices? You build a brothel instead of an orphanage, so now millions of people died inexplicably? :smallbiggrin:

So are we finally going to find out that Theresa was the Big Bad of Fable II, which is the only way that plot makes sene?

Mystic Muse
2010-10-30, 03:33 AM
So are we finally going to find out that Theresa was the Big Bad of Fable II, which is the only way that plot makes sene?

No. No you are not.

Dhavaer
2010-10-30, 03:35 AM
Anyone else find The Game quest hilarious? Especially with the Princess?

Mystic Muse
2010-10-30, 03:37 AM

Yes. Yes I did.

Mostly because of "So bad it's good." value

I wanted to keep the sword though.:smallfrown:

Sholos
2010-10-30, 08:57 AM
Slow Time plus Magic Shield in the first game made you invulnerable for as long as you could keep your magic up. Those were the only two spells I cared about. Haven't played Fable III yet; I'll probably do it over Christmas break.

megabyter5
2010-10-30, 02:51 PM

What kind of game lets you kill the bad guy in one hit?!

Funniest line in the game.

Deth Muncher
2010-10-30, 02:54 PM
So, I know that there are issues with the emulation of the game, but is downloading Fable 1 from the XBLA worth it? I just want to know if the glitches make it unbearable.

Derthric
2010-10-30, 07:28 PM
So, I know that there are issues with the emulation of the game, but is downloading Fable 1 from the XBLA worth it? I just want to know if the glitches make it unbearable.

I would like to know if it is TLC or just the main game. As of right now the first one was the most fun to me.

I wish someone else would get their hands on this game engine. Someone with some narrative capabilities could do wonders.

Dhavaer
2010-10-30, 08:50 PM
Just finished! I was getting really worried towards the end, being 1.5 million in debt and all, but it worked out in the end.

Elite
2010-10-30, 09:06 PM
Just finished! I was getting really worried towards the end, being 1.5 million in debt and all, but it worked out in the end.

Oh that's good, I pretty much cried when I found out that it was either break your promises, or everybody dies.

People shouldn't bash Mr. Molyneux, just for the assemblage of ultimate voice actors he created the game with, although am I the only one who found that melee combat frustratingly difficult, especially trying to block?

Dhavaer
2010-10-30, 10:21 PM
No, I definitely found it much more difficult than in 2. Trying to kill anything that couldn't be stunned was immensely frustrating, especially those grenade throwing mercenaries.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-10-30, 10:41 PM
So...here's a question. Does anyone know how to perform finishing moves or do they happen at random?

Dhavaer
2010-10-30, 10:52 PM
Random, I think.

VanBuren
2010-10-30, 11:21 PM
IGN AU (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1130705p1.html) essentially calls Fable III a failure because it's too easy to make money.

The set-up – as you no doubt know – is that by the time you've become king, you've made a number of promises to different people and factions. You want to honour those promises and be a noble leader, but what will you do if you can't keep them all? How will you choose?

Great idea, but here's where Fable III falls apart.

Why? Because the team has made the choices economic in nature. It's not "you can build an orphanage and a school for Bowerstone OR you can honour your promise to that far-flung nation who helped you out". Instead, it's "you can build an orphanage, which will cost you 300,000 gold, or you can turn it into a brothel, which will earn you 500,000 gold". This whole section of the game operates on the supposition that the player won't have enough money to do everything and will have to make hard choices in order to try and keep the coffers full. (I won't go into why the coffers need to be full, but let's just say that it's crucial that they are.)

The problem is that with some smart early investments, the player will have enough money to do everything. Like Fable II, you see, Fable III has a full economic system that allows the player to buy shops and houses. Prices at the former can be adjusted, while the latter can be rented out. Any investments like these that the player has brings in income every five minutes in the game.

Lord_Gareth
2010-10-31, 02:41 AM
I should note that the only reason Skill seems difficult is because ya'll are making the fatal error of aiming with a game pad. A mouse and keyboard (I KNOW the X-Box has one you can buy) will solve that problem for you. I played through the first Fable on PC and thought the entire time, "Wow, why would anyone bother with melee or magic when archery is so frickin' broken?"

Tome
2010-10-31, 03:36 AM
I've gotta admit I found Skill to be the most broken of the three in Fable II, even playing on the 360. Once you've got the hang of going straight for a headshot and a decent rifle there's not really much point in doing anything else. Mostly because whenever you do, you start thinking to yourself "Why am I wasting time charging my spells/flailing my sword around when I could just OHKO these guys with my rifle?". The fact that I found both magic and melee to do negligible damage on anything worth killing doesn't help.

BladeofOblivion
2010-10-31, 04:27 AM
I've gotta admit I found Skill to be the most broken of the three in Fable II, even playing on the 360. Once you've got the hang of going straight for a headshot and a decent rifle there's not really much point in doing anything else. Mostly because whenever you do, you start thinking to yourself "Why am I wasting time charging my spells/flailing my sword around when I could just OHKO these guys with my rifle?". The fact that I found both magic and melee to do negligible damage on anything worth killing doesn't help.

To be fair, that's not too far from how it works in real life. There is a reason armies don't use magic or swords. Other than magic not existing.

FoE
2010-10-31, 05:40 AM
here is a reason armies don't use magic or swords. Other than magic not existing.

It's weird how sometimes you can say something logical and nonsensical at the same time. :smalltongue:

Thanatos 51-50
2010-10-31, 10:32 AM
Also, find me one person who claims that they weren't annoyed at Maze spamming Enflame and pinning them in a corner of the lighthouse and I will show you a house of LIES.

Maze? I was just upset at the absurd amount of hit points he had. Otherwise it was Charge Bow/Fire/Dodge, repeat Ad infantatum.
Occasionally chug a healing potion because your timing was off and you didn't dodge right.

Driderman
2010-10-31, 08:19 PM
So, I have a question: In the very beginning of the game, you have a lover/fiancee/something, which may, depending on your choices, survive the games introduction.

She did in my game, but even though I am now king and owner of most of Albion, I have yet to see her again or even hear her mentioned...

Did we forget something, Lionhead? :smalltongue:

xp194
2010-10-31, 08:53 PM
So, I have a question: In the very beginning of the game, you have a lover/fiancee/something, which may, depending on your choices, survive the games introduction.

She did in my game, but even though I am now king and owner of most of Albion, I have yet to see her again or even hear her mentioned...

Did we forget something, Lionhead? :smalltongue:

Mmmnope.

Do sidequests.

To clarify, one of the sidequests features him/her quite prominently, if they've lived.

Eliirae
2010-11-01, 01:41 AM
IGN AU (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1130705p1.html) essentially calls Fable III a failure because it's too easy to make money.

The set-up – as you no doubt know – is that by the time you've become king, you've made a number of promises to different people and factions. You want to honour those promises and be a noble leader, but what will you do if you can't keep them all? How will you choose?

Great idea, but here's where Fable III falls apart.

Why? Because the team has made the choices economic in nature. It's not "you can build an orphanage and a school for Bowerstone OR you can honour your promise to that far-flung nation who helped you out". Instead, it's "you can build an orphanage, which will cost you 300,000 gold, or you can turn it into a brothel, which will earn you 500,000 gold". This whole section of the game operates on the supposition that the player won't have enough money to do everything and will have to make hard choices in order to try and keep the coffers full. (I won't go into why the coffers need to be full, but let's just say that it's crucial that they are.)

The problem is that with some smart early investments, the player will have enough money to do everything. Like Fable II, you see, Fable III has a full economic system that allows the player to buy shops and houses. Prices at the former can be adjusted, while the latter can be rented out. Any investments like these that the player has brings in income every five minutes in the game.

The problem with IGN's entire article is that the same thing can be said of fable II.

Only difference is Fable II doesn't require you to gather massive amounts of money. Oh, did I mention it is actually easier in F2 to get money? Change the date on your xbox a couple years in the future, and BAM, tons of money.

I wouldn't really listen to IGN's criticisms, TBH.

On another note: Love how Fable III makes a jab at Fable II's ending. That and Monty Python references.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-11-01, 02:08 AM
The problem with IGN's entire article is that the same thing can be said of fable II.

Only difference is Fable II doesn't require you to gather massive amounts of money. Oh, did I mention it is actually easier in F2 to get money? Change the date on your xbox a couple years in the future, and BAM, tons of money.

On another note: Love how Fable III makes a jab at Fable II's ending. That and Monty Python references.

Not to mention the IGN review gets one, rather important, bit wrong. To my knowledge, you CAN'T put your own gold into the treasury and you can only work with what's in there that you haven't taken back out. So it doesn't matter how much money you've personally made because it can't be used for this purpose. Unless I'm wrong?

Mystic Muse
2010-11-01, 02:16 AM
Not to mention the IGN review gets one, rather important, bit wrong. To my knowledge, you CAN'T put your own gold into the treasury and you can only work with what's in there that you haven't taken back out. So it doesn't matter how much money you've personally made because it can't be used for this purpose. Unless I'm wrong?

Yeah, you're wrong. You can indeed put money into the treasury.

Eliirae
2010-11-01, 02:32 AM

You can put your own money in the treasury. If you couldn't, it would be impossible to get all the money needed, even if you were going evil and squeezed every last ounce of money out of everybody.

Name_Here
2010-11-01, 07:22 AM

The problem also is that before taking on the monarchy you are not going to have the kind of money that you need to do everything.

I think I'm a pretty average player in the investment vrs advancement thing. I had a real estate empire worth 2 million well before earning my title as monarch and I still was barely able to pay off the debt I ran the country into. Even now after I finished the game and bought up every available piece of real estate I still don't have the cash that would easily bail out the country again. It's a matter of scale. You work on the level of tens of thousands while the decisions you make as a ruler deal in the hundreds of thousands. It really is well done.

IGN is full of crap. Doing all the good decisions and saving everybody requires you to not only have a huge real estate empire but also grind the job like crazy. It's hard but I think it's worth it.

Where on earth did you hear this? It's so wrong that it's laughable that you ever believed this.

Comet
2010-11-01, 10:19 AM
So, saw the ending. A bit rubbish (read:rushed), really, but I'm still going to play the hell out of this game once it comes out on PC.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-11-01, 12:01 PM
Where on earth did you hear this? It's so wrong that it's laughable that you ever believed this.

My own experience. You can't transfer your own funds into the treasury from the treasury (where it would make sense to do that) but it occurs to me that I haven't tried doing it from the Santcuary treasury either..

Mystic Muse
2010-11-01, 12:22 PM
My own experience. You can't transfer your own funds into the treasury from the treasury (where it would make sense to do that) but it occurs to me that I haven't tried doing it from the Santcuary treasury either..

:smallconfused: go into the treasury and press X. That should allow you to put money in the treasury.

Dhavaer
2010-11-01, 03:08 PM
So, saw the ending. A bit rubbish (read:rushed), really, but I'm still going to play the hell out of this game once it comes out on PC.

Is it going to come out on PC? Fable 2 didn't.

Name_Here
2010-11-01, 04:05 PM

Yes yes you can. I mean your majordomo flat out says that you are able to transfer funds between accounts. Did you think they left that bit of dialogue in there but forgot to install the ability to actually transfer the money between your own account and the treasury?

The Tygre
2010-11-01, 06:59 PM
Anybody experiencing any particularly nasty glitches? I've been hearing some rumors that ain't half-pretty floating around.

Dhavaer
2010-11-01, 08:46 PM
I've had no glitches at all.

Mystic Muse
2010-11-01, 09:03 PM
I've had no glitches at all.

Same here. Maybe I just got a good copy.

Eliirae
2010-11-01, 10:56 PM
Same with me. No glitches here.

Comet
2010-11-02, 02:54 AM
Is it going to come out on PC? Fable 2 didn't.

Yup, it will. Altough with a bit of a delay, but still.

Thanatos 51-50
2010-11-02, 03:35 AM
No glitches but some mild clipping issues I totally expected.

Anteros
2010-11-02, 04:36 AM
The problem also is that before taking on the monarchy you are not going to have the kind of money that you need to do everything.

I think I'm a pretty average player in the investment vrs advancement thing. I had a real estate empire worth 2 million well before earning my title as monarch and I still was barely able to pay off the debt I ran the country into. Even now after I finished the game and bought up every available piece of real estate I still don't have the cash that would easily bail out the country again. It's a matter of scale. You work on the level of tens of thousands while the decisions you make as a ruler deal in the hundreds of thousands. It really is well done.

IGN is full of crap. Doing all the good decisions and saving everybody requires you to not only have a huge real estate empire but also grind the job like crazy. It's hard but I think it's worth it.

Or you could buy a bunch of property, put the controller down, and take a nap. Then come back to a full treasury like I did.

As far as glitches go...I didn't personally have any, but on my roommate's playthrough he randomly fell through the earth and got stuck forever. Even his save is stuck falling. He had to start over.

Dhavaer
2010-11-02, 04:42 AM
Actually, I may have had a glitch. I lost my progress when I started a new game, but it may have been due to me pressing the wrong button when it asked if I wanted to save over my previous save.

Name_Here
2010-11-02, 06:54 AM
Or you could buy a bunch of property, put the controller down, and take a nap. Then come back to a full treasury like I did.

Okay so let's say you're making 50k everytime it ticks over you'll be making 600k an hour meaning that to only pay down the total amount you'll be napping for 11 hours add in a few of the good ideas let's say you'll need to nap for 14 hours. Not saying that you couldn't I'm just saying that's a stupid way to go about life.

Ogremindes
2010-11-02, 06:59 AM
Okay so let's say you're making 50k everytime it ticks over you'll be making 600k an hour meaning that to only pay down the total amount you'll be napping for 11 hours add in a few of the good ideas let's say you'll need to nap for 14 hours. Not saying that you couldn't I'm just saying that's a stupid way to go about life.

So more of a full nights sleep with a lie-in.

Ranielle
2010-11-02, 07:28 AM

Yes, and the point stands, you can just leave it and do whatever you want to do for some time and come back and have more money.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-11-02, 08:14 AM
Yes yes you can. I mean your majordomo flat out says that you are able to transfer funds between accounts. Did you think they left that bit of dialogue in there but forgot to install the ability to actually transfer the money between your own account and the treasury?

Never heard him say that actually. Will investigate further, though it won't do much good because I have far less money then what's in the treasury and I only found out about the Sunset Manor Demon Door recently.

This was after I had to restart because I accidentally lost the Castle in a divorce from 'wrongbuttonpresssyndrome'. >.<

Name_Here
2010-11-02, 08:44 AM

Which was the entire point. There is no way to get that kind of gold organically even if you have a massive real estate empire you need to do some kind of grinding schnanigans to get the full amount.

The scale is just not easily compatible.

Never heard him say that actually. Will investigate further, though it won't do much good because I have far less money then what's in the treasury and I only found out about the Sunset Manor Demon Door recently.

Take your time. The kingly decisions are the only time scale that the game goes off at that point.

This was after I had to restart because I accidentally lost the Castle in a divorce from 'wrongbuttonpresssyndrome'. >.<

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA. That would have to be the funniest court ruling ever.

I am awarding custody of the children half of all the marital assests to the wife in addition to custody of the martial home
:smallannoyed:: It's not a marital home it's a seat of bloody governance. You can't just award it as a divorce settlement!!

Mewtarthio
2010-11-02, 12:39 PM
Okay, I have to know: Does this game fix Fable II's mistakes? Are you still railroaded into following the orders of an obviously-plotting-something Darth Traya expy? Does Reaver still know he's an unkillable NPC and rub it into your face every chance he gets? Do you still have comically light-hearted sidequests interleaved with melodramatically dark main story arcs?

I am awarding custody of the children half of all the marital assests to the wife in addition to custody of the martial home
:smallannoyed:: It's not a marital home it's a seat of bloody governance. You can't just award it as a divorce settlement!!

Hey! I'm the judge here, mister! This is my courtroom! Who do you think you are, the bloody King of Albion?!

Mystic Muse
2010-11-02, 02:05 PM
Okay, I have to know: Does this game fix Fable II's mistakes? Are you still railroaded into following the orders of an obviously-plotting-something Darth Traya expy? Don't know if I'd go that far but Theresa is still there.

Does Reaver still know he's an unkillable NPC and rub it into your face every chance he gets? Do you still have comically light-hearted sidequests interleaved with melodramatically dark main story arcs? Yes to both.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-11-03, 01:36 PM
Okay, I have to know: Does this game fix Fable II's mistakes? Are you still railroaded into following the orders of an obviously-plotting-something Darth Traya expy?

A) Not really. Darth Treya doesn't give you any orders actually aside from what everyone else is telling you to do. Revolt then defend Albion from the Crawler.

...And lets face it, you were probably going to do that anyway. :smallwink:

[QUOTE]Does Reaver still know he's an unkillable NPC and rub it into your face every chance he gets? Do you still have comically light-hearted sidequests interleaved with melodramatically dark main story arcs?

...Those were mistakes? :smallconfused:

Hey! I'm the judge here, mister! This is my courtroom! Who do you think you are, the bloody King of Albion?!

"I have horns! I've ridden this country into the ground (for it's own good)! I have a DOOM FORTRESS! WHY AM I NOT THE JUDGE OF THIS TRIAL?! GIVE ME BACK MY CASTLE DAMMIT!" :smallfurious:

*cough* Was about my response.

Avilan the Grey
2010-11-03, 02:38 PM
...Those were mistakes? :smallconfused:

Depends on how you look at it. It is done on purpose, but it is bad, BAD writing.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-11-03, 03:19 PM
Depends on how you look at it. It is done on purpose, but it is bad, BAD writing.

YMMV I guess. I like Reaver (as in love to hate him) and the mood whiplash is one of the biggest draws of the Fable series to me.

Domochevsky
2010-11-03, 05:14 PM
YMMV I guess. I like Reaver (as in love to hate him) and the mood whiplash is one of the biggest draws of the Fable series to me.

Even when it's utterly contrieved and there's no reason at all to go along with it if you had the choice?

Callos_DeTerran
2010-11-03, 05:24 PM
Even when it's utterly contrieved and there's no reason at all to go along with it if you had the choice?

Er...if what's utterly contrived? The mood whiplash or Reaver?

Domochevsky
2010-11-03, 06:16 PM
Er...if what's utterly contrived? The mood whiplash or Reaver?

They kinda go together, really. >_>

He gives you multiple reasons to kill him over the span of about an hour or so, but no reason to leave him alive. (Especially since no one tells you why three champions are needed in the first place.) Yet the game prevents you from ending his miserable existence, instead letting him insult you to your face, fully knowing that you can't touch him.

Of course i have a profound dislike for the Fable series (and by extension Molineux) so my opinion may be slightly unfair. :smallwink:

Mystic Muse
2010-11-03, 06:33 PM
He gives you multiple reasons to kill him over the span of 30 seconds

fixed it for you.:smalltongue:

Falgorn
2010-11-03, 06:35 PM
It seems quite a few of you dislike Fable. A lot. I, personally, was a big fan of it, for some of the reasons you guys hate it.

But I haven't got Fable III yet, and i hope I can get it soon.

Mystic Muse
2010-11-03, 06:40 PM
It seems quite a few of you dislike Fable. A lot. I, personally, was a big fan of it, for some of the reasons you guys hate it.

I liked fable but feel they dropped the ball on fable 2.

This one is better than Fable 2 but worse than Fable 1 in my humble opinion.

Crow
2010-11-03, 08:31 PM
He gives you multiple reasons to kill him over the span of about an hour or so, but no reason to leave him alive. (Especially since no one tells you why three champions are needed in the first place.)

The champions were needed to get the Spire operational. The only heroes Lucien had to worry about were the protagonist and his/her sister, which is why he tried to kill you, but was actively working *with* the hero of will.

Don't get me wrong though, I think it would have been *great* to off Reaver and **** up Theresa's plans, seeing how she'd been using me all game.

But of course, I also like Reaver. He's dispicible, but he really embodies the arrogant side of the "I'm immortal" attitude. When you've watch everyone around you be born and die for a couple of generations you can really develop a sense of apathy for the world and the people in it. They're small potatos. When they're gone, you remain. He's probably one of the better characterized personalities in the game.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-11-04, 01:43 AM

I don't view either of them as mistakes really, so...don't really go together for me. XD

He gives you multiple reasons to kill him over the span of about an hour or so, but no reason to leave him alive. (Especially since no one tells you why three champions are needed in the first place.) Yet the game prevents you from ending his miserable existence, instead letting him insult you to your face, fully knowing that you can't touch him.

Really? What reasons are those? Insulting you? Betraying you? Killing Barnum? The first is a welcome relief from all the villagers in the game since no one besides Banshees, Gargoyles, Gnomes, and the Children (and that's not quite the same) takes a verbal chunk out of the players. Betraying you...well he got betrayed in turn. Makes us even in my books. Besides, I was kinda expecting it after the truth of what he asks you to do is revealed. Barnum...I'm actually mad about. But madder at Lucien and the blind seer kept telling me I needed Reaver to get Lucien so I suppose everyone gets one free pass. Plus, he does decide to help you which is a point in your favor (albeit a small one, considering he had no choice really). And in Fable III...well...you can't afford to kill him, despite how badly he might cheese you off and how much Page wants to. He's the only one with the resources (and thus the company) to do what you want done, which I suppose is partly possible because the ruler of Albion is bound by it's laws and I'm guessing Reaver's ownership of Reaver Industries has a clause or two in it about what happens to the company if he miraculously meets his end.

Face it, Reaver is the embodiment of the Karma Houdini which is part of the reason I can't hold anything against him. A) He won't notice or care and B) it won't actually affect him. The Fable game where you get to kill Reaver or Reaver dies (if it even happens!) marks a point where I find them a little less fun.

Of course i have a profound dislike for the Fable series (and by extension Molineux) so my opinion may be slightly unfair. :smallwink:

And slightly mysterious, considering your posting in a Fable thread. :smalltongue:

Avilan the Grey
2010-11-04, 02:23 AM

Yes; I have not seen Fable III yet, but Fable II's main plot and main characters combine the sins of being horrible, HORRIBLE people with extreme plot armor that does not make sense. The game basically hurt you and your family and friends to the Nth degree, and denies you any chance of getting even. Not fun. At all.

And for me it's the opposite: I have a profound dislike of Molineux, and by extension the Fable series :smallbiggrin:

Domochevsky
2010-11-04, 02:23 AM
And slightly mysterious, considering your posting in a Fable thread. :smalltongue:

In case you didn't notice, 2/3 of the people in this thread are raking on the series (for quite good reasons). :smalltongue:

That being said, i find your reasons for liking Fable just as mysterious, so i'd call that even.

Avilan the Grey
2010-11-04, 02:32 AM
IReally? What reasons are those? Insulting you? Betraying you? Killing Barnum? The first is a welcome relief from all the villagers in the game since no one besides Banshees, Gargoyles, Gnomes, and the Children (and that's not quite the same) takes a verbal chunk out of the players. Betraying you...well he got betrayed in turn. Makes us even in my books. Besides, I was kinda expecting it after the truth of what he asks you to do is revealed. Barnum...I'm actually mad about. But madder at Lucien and the blind seer kept telling me I needed Reaver to get Lucien so I suppose everyone gets one free pass. Plus, he does decide to help you which is a point in your favor (albeit a small one, considering he had no choice really). And in Fable III...well...you can't afford to kill him, despite how badly he might cheese you off and how much Page wants to. He's the only one with the resources (and thus the company) to do what you want done, which I suppose is partly possible because the ruler of Albion is bound by it's laws and I'm guessing Reaver's ownership of Reaver Industries has a clause or two in it about what happens to the company if he miraculously meets his end.

Face it, Reaver is the embodiment of the Karma Houdini which is part of the reason I can't hold anything against him. A) He won't notice or care and B) it won't actually affect him. The Fable game where you get to kill Reaver or Reaver dies (if it even happens!) marks a point where I find them a little less fun.

In my book that doesn't make us even, it makes TWO people I have to kill. My enemies enemy is only my friend as long as he is not also my enemy. The person I would enjoy killing the most though is Theresa, since she is the one that causes my misery to begin with, and seems to only need the Spire for her Evulz and are willing to sacrifice not only my sister and my family, but 1000s of people along the way to get it. So that makes THREE people I have to kill to get even. And the game only lets me kill ONE of them, and in a very stupid "disney death" way. Unless I am too slow and Reaver kill-steals my revenge.

We have to remember that Reaver only has the plot armor because Theresa needs him. I don't want a Spire; it is not even neccesary from any "save the world" perspective. In fact, there is no reason to remotely even care for completing that thing except that Theresa wants it.
I think this is the dumbest of Molineux writing mistakes. He forgot to put in the reason of WHY we should allow all this to begin with.

And apparently you are a Masochist, since you think Reaver is fun... :smallbiggrin:

It seems to me that Fable (II and III at least) suffers from the Bethesda disease (but far more so that Bethesda games): As long as you don't actually follow the plot, the game is both more fun, and the world is better off (most noticeable in Oblivion, where the obvious good choice is to never start the main plot, since as long as you don't, hell never starts invading and everyone is quite happy).

Callos_DeTerran
2010-11-04, 03:43 AM
In case you didn't notice, 2/3 of the people in this thread are raking on the series (for quite good reasons). :smalltongue:

That being said, i find your reasons for liking Fable just as mysterious, so i'd call that even.

True, but this was the first time I felt inclined to bring it up.

And how can't you like Fable? It's like video game popcorn. It's might not be good for you, but it's fun to eat........Might not be the best explanation of the analogy, but I like the analogy nonetheless!

In my book that doesn't make us even, it makes TWO people I have to kill. My enemies enemy is only my friend as long as he is not also my enemy. The person I would enjoy killing the most though is Theresa, since she is the one that causes my misery to begin with, and seems to only need the Spire for her Evulz and are willing to sacrifice not only my sister and my family, but 1000s of people along the way to get it. So that makes THREE people I have to kill to get even. And the game only lets me kill ONE of them, and in a very stupid "disney death" way. Unless I am too slow and Reaver kill-steals my revenge.

Why's Lucien's death a stupid "disney death"? :smallconfused: ...And honestly, I never let lucien go on long enough for Reaver to shoot him.

More importantly....Theresa's Evulz? O.o Maybe we're thinking of different blind seers, but Theresa never actually turns on you. Yet anyway. I can't shake the feeling that she's going to, but she never does. So...where's the Evulz there? Sorry. >.> Just don't like that term.

We have to remember that Reaver only has the plot armor because Theresa needs him. I don't want a Spire; it is not even neccesary from any "save the world" perspective. In fact, there is no reason to remotely even care for completing that thing except that Theresa wants it.
I think this is the dumbest of Molineux writing mistakes. He forgot to put in the reason of WHY we should allow all this to begin with.

Up until you find out otherwise, you must remember, you don't know that you don't need Reaver. You know Lucien does, which should be reason enough to keep Reaver away from him, and Theresa (who doesn't betray you as much as use you, rewards you, then does away with you) who you have no reason NOT to believe at that point tells you that you need him. Just like she told you that you need Hammer and Garth, but no one complains about them....they should though. Stupid water gourd quest.

And apparently you are a Masochist, since you think Reaver is fun... :smallbiggrin:

:smallwink: So people keep telling me for liking things nobody else seems to. Can't help it though, Reaver has class. I love to hate that colossal jerk-ass.

Avilan the Grey
2010-11-04, 05:59 AM
True, but this was the first time I felt inclined to bring it up.

And how can't you like Fable? It's like video game popcorn. It's might not be good for you, but it's fun to eat........Might not be the best explanation of the analogy, but I like the analogy nonetheless!

Why's Lucien's death a stupid "disney death"? :smallconfused: ...And honestly, I never let lucien go on long enough for Reaver to shoot him.

More importantly....Theresa's Evulz? O.o Maybe we're thinking of different blind seers, but Theresa never actually turns on you. Yet anyway. I can't shake the feeling that she's going to, but she never does. So...where's the Evulz there? Sorry. >.> Just don't like that term.

Well almost; I do get to shoot him. Once.
But I want epic fight. I want him die slowly and in pain, desperately begging for help while I have my foot on his neck. Then I'll tell him I
ll let him live, but turn around give Reaver permission to kill him... And then I shoot Reaver in the back of the head just after he pulls the trigger on Lucien.

That would be perfect.

As for Theresa: As Shamus' points out, the only way the plot of Fable II makes sense is if Theresa is the secret Big Bad.

She lures you, and more importantly, your sister, using her by fooling her to use the wish thingy, to make sure she gets killed and you attacked.
She can teleport anywhere, but never uses that ability, making sure you go through hell for her.
She lets you suffer for years, with the only purpose of getting the Spire built, and then uses you to dispose of Lucien so that she can take it for herself.

Domochevsky
2010-11-04, 12:12 PM

I like my popcorn to taste good. The mainplot of Fable just left a bad taste in my mouth. :|

Because he falls over an edge off-camera (And you can see that there's water down there). People in movies/games don't die from minor crap like that. No body = didn't die. >_>

You know Lucien does, which should be reason enough to kill Reaver
and Theresa (who doesn't betray you as much as use you, use you some more, then does away with you) who you have no choice NOT to believe at any point tells you that you need him.

Fixed that for you. There are way too many plot contrievances in the entire thing for it to be enjoyable. >_>

Avilan the Grey
2010-11-04, 12:56 PM
(Things I really agree with)

The most frustrating thing is that you are railroaded so that you can't tell Theresa "Sorry, you had my sister killed by proxy, so I don't trust a word you say and I will hereby tell you to (bleep) off" and then kill Lucien and live your life as you see fit.

Mewtarthio
2010-11-04, 01:41 PM

I like popcorn. I think it's fun. The trouble is, Molyneaux treats it like steak. He claims it's a serious, steak-like game, and the plot takes itself ultra-seriously as though it were a full meal. He tells us all to come on over to the open ceremony of the new Molyneaux Steak House, and we all know that most of what he says is exaggeration, but we show up anyway. And when we get there, he's serving popcorn. Popcorn that's been braised, marinated, and put in a stew. Popcorn covered in gravy with potatoes au gratin on the side. Popcorn in a toasted bun with barbecue sauce. It's not steak at all, but by acting like it is he's ruined some perfectly good popcorn.

Also, I can buy popcorn for $10-$15 online or 800-1200 points on XBLA. Fable is $60. For that kind of money, I should at least get a sandwich. Or possibly a better metaphor.

Androgeus
2010-11-04, 04:29 PM
lengthy Popcorn - beef analogy

So Fable is a bad game, mainly because you fell for hype? (I concede the point about the game taking it self more seriously than it really should some times)

Callos_DeTerran
2010-11-04, 04:29 PM
But I want epic fight. I want him die slowly and in pain, desperately begging for help while I have my foot on his neck. Then I'll tell him I
ll let him live, but turn around give Reaver permission to kill him... And then I shoot Reaver in the back of the head just after he pulls the trigger on Lucien.

That would be perfect.

But utterly impossible, given the context. Lucien isn't a Hero, he isn't even trained in combat (to our knowledge) and thus his 'health' is the same as any villager you meet in Bowerstone. He can no more survive being shot then a non-Hero child shot off a really really tall tower. He's NOT a physical threat, in the least. His main threat was that he controlled the Spire which...well...the music box shut that down. Heck...that's why I like the way Lucien dies...No big boss battle, no...oddly enhanced health or abilities, just a normal (crazy) man facing his just deserts....And really? You only shot him once? O.o I shot him at least twice...though that might have been because the gun I was using fired really fast.

Because he falls over an edge off-camera (And you can see that there's water down there). People in movies/games don't die from minor crap like that. No body = didn't die. >_>

See above? Lucien isn't a Hero. He can't survive something like that.

As for Theresa: As Shamus' points out, the only way the plot of Fable II makes sense is if Theresa is the secret Big Bad.

She lures you, and more importantly, your sister, using her by fooling her to use the wish thingy, to make sure she gets killed and you attacked.
She can teleport anywhere, but never uses that ability, making sure you go through hell for her.
She lets you suffer for years, with the only purpose of getting the Spire built, and then uses you to dispose of Lucien so that she can take it for herself.

Nah, it still makes sense without Theresa being the secret Big Bad...it just makes MORE sense if she is (and she probably will be by Fable 4 or 5).

As for the teleport...why WOULD she use it? I'd have to check, but I don't think Theresa is a Hero herself. I know she's of the royal bloodline (which makes her special in her own way) but was she a Hero too? If not, then she has good reason not to teleport anywhere because it'd just get her killed.

...I'll give you the 'lets you suffer for years' bit. It's one of the reasons why I also think she's the secret BG of Fable II...or one of the worst cases of Well-Intentioned Extremist ever.

I like popcorn. I think it's fun. The trouble is, Molyneaux treats it like steak. He claims it's a serious, steak-like game, and the plot takes itself ultra-seriously as though it were a full meal. He tells us all to come on over to the open ceremony of the new Molyneaux Steak House, and we all know that most of what he says is exaggeration, but we show up anyway. And when we get there, he's serving popcorn. Popcorn that's been braised, marinated, and put in a stew. Popcorn covered in gravy with potatoes au gratin on the side. Popcorn in a toasted bun with barbecue sauce. It's not steak at all, but by acting like it is he's ruined some perfectly good popcorn.

Also, I can buy popcorn for $10-$15 online or 800-1200 points on XBLA. Fable is $60. For that kind of money, I should at least get a sandwich. Or possibly a better metaphor.

I'unno, I think this metaphor is doing wonderfully. And I disagree only in the sense of 'I don't think he ruined the good popcorn'. I rarely subscribe to hype, so any expectations I have for a game are purely my own.

Dragor
2010-11-04, 05:07 PM

This made me laugh hard. It's an amazing metaphor- I can actually picture Molyneux sidling up to some customers looking at their popcorn and stew and going, "WELL? HOW'S THE STEAK?

Eliirae
2010-11-05, 02:20 AM
You know what baffles me? Apparently heroes are immortal, right? Then what happened to the hero of fable 1 and 2? Did they "give up" their hero status in order to live and die like a normal person? Theresa is the sister of the hero of Fable 1, so why is it that she is the only one still alive?

Unless I'm mistaking it and the whole "heroes are immortal" thing applies to why in fable 2/3 you literally cannot die in combat? Old age still applies but you can't be killed in combat?

Avilan the Grey
2010-11-05, 02:41 AM
This made me laugh hard. It's an amazing metaphor- I can actually picture Molyneux sidling up to some customers looking at their popcorn and stew and going, "WELL? HOW'S THE STEAK?

"Well it tastes awful and it makes me grow horns. How about you honey?"

Dhavaer
2010-11-05, 02:59 AM
You know what baffles me? Apparently heroes are immortal, right? Then what happened to the hero of fable 1 and 2? Did they "give up" their hero status in order to live and die like a normal person? Theresa is the sister of the hero of Fable 1, so why is it that she is the only one still alive?

Unless I'm mistaking it and the whole "heroes are immortal" thing applies to why in fable 2/3 you literally cannot die in combat? Old age still applies but you can't be killed in combat?

Heroes aren't immortal. Sparrow and the Prince/Princess might be protected by destiny or Theresa or something, but most heroes are mortal. Reaver, for example, needs his pact with the Shadow Court for his longevity. There are some heroes that don't die of old age naturally, like Scythe and Theresa, but not all.

Calemyr
2010-11-12, 06:36 PM
So much to comment on:

Fable 1: Personally, my favorite thing in that whole game was the lightning spell. Stock will potions and you can control an entire fight from start to finish - and amuse yourself as their heads pop.

Fable 2: I never understood what people never understood about the game. It's pretty simple, Theresa has been a manipulative little pup since the days she guided Twinblade the bandit. She uses people as tools to advance her own agenda. That agenda is usually good on a planetary or national level, but generally comes at a heavy price on the personal level. The whole "four heroes" thing was to break Lucien's hold on the Spire - which it did so completely that Lucien became a joke.

The real climax was the music box dream - but only if you can put yourself in the hero's shoes. "He" has suffered countless indignities. Had decades of his life stolen by Lucien and by Reaver. Had his sister, his dog, and any wife and children he had at that point killed by Lucien. He was scarred, tortured, enslaved... and then for one blissful moment it was all a dream. You can almost feel his desire to believe it was all a dream, that this beautiful day playing with his sister was the real world. But it isn't, and when he pursues the truth the dream turns to nightmare - surrounded in flames and the screams of lost loved ones - but he pushes on and comes out victorious. The death of Lucien was just a loose end that needed tying up. The game wasn't perfect, that's for sure (the whole Strength=Bulk debacle for one), but it wasn't that bad.

Fable 3: I rather liked this game. It's a standard Fable game, with all the strengths and weaknesses that implies, but it is very polished and has a much more interesting story and presentation than previous entries. I found the combat to be much more balanced (all three styles require different tactics, but all three are absolutely devastating), and the Road to Ruin - while being just a glorified level up menu - added style and a much needed balancing effect (think how absurd the game would be if you could just go straight to level 5 in a combat style early on).

My beefs with it start with the lack of interesting mates. There are only two unique mates in the whole game and the only decent one is more than likely to die in the prologue. Why can't I marry Page, eh? Interesting, good hearted, strong willed, and attractive, but she just disappears the second her role in the story is over. I also miss the stats page (at least on the 360 version). Being able to see "favorite weapon style" and all those silly stats was fun, but now they only display them one by one during loading screens.

Probably my biggest gripe, however, is the Heroic Weapons. They put so much work into that system and then completely missed the point! Yes, weapons that mold to suit your style of play and accomplishments is cool, but when the new "features" are purely ornate and the weapon is permanently on the bottom of the damage food chain, while the supposedly lesser weapons gain actual bonuses as well as superior damage... The heroic weapons SHOULD have been the best in the game come skill level 5 (having four bonuses rather than the standard 3), but they're simply pathetic from beginning to end. The free weapons you get as DLC are more useful even if you never commit the sins to unlock their features. It brings me to tears, really it does.

One question though: Am I the only one who tends to use rifles SOLELY for the over-the-shoulder shot? I find that simply too cool.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-11-13, 12:35 PM
My beefs with it start with the lack of interesting mates. There are only two unique mates in the whole game and the only decent one is more than likely to die in the prologue. Why can't I marry Page, eh? Interesting, good hearted, strong willed, and attractive, but she just disappears the second her role in the story is over. I also miss the stats page (at least on the 360 version). Being able to see "favorite weapon style" and all those silly stats was fun, but now they only display them one by one during loading screens.

...There's two? I only know about the one from the very beginning of the game+side plot. What is the second one?

Probably my biggest gripe, however, is the Heroic Weapons. They put so much work into that system and then completely missed the point! Yes, weapons that mold to suit your style of play and accomplishments is cool, but when the new "features" are purely ornate and the weapon is permanently on the bottom of the damage food chain, while the supposedly lesser weapons gain actual bonuses as well as superior damage... The heroic weapons SHOULD have been the best in the game come skill level 5 (having four bonuses rather than the standard 3), but they're simply pathetic from beginning to end. The free weapons you get as DLC are more useful even if you never commit the sins to unlock their features. It brings me to tears, really it does.

I actually don't MIND that they are the worst weapons (though I certainly wouldn't mind if they were better), but I wish the weapon molding was explained better. What 'constitutes a style of fighting'? I mean...I almost didn't use the hero weapons at all until the end were I could fit any kind of enemy because I didn't want an abundance of hollow man killing (which is very prevalent in the beginning parts of the game) to ALWAYS affect my weapons.

One question though: Am I the only one who tends to use rifles SOLELY for the over-the-shoulder shot? I find that simply too cool.

Well I use them for more then that, but I try to get the over the shoulder shot whenever possible myself. :smallbiggrin:

Calemyr
2010-11-14, 12:54 PM
...There's two? I only know about the one from the very beginning of the game+side plot. What is the second one?

The second one, at least for male heroes, is a quest in Brightwall. It becomes available after meeting Page. A henpecked husband who can't afford to divorce his wife, and instead asks you to seduce her into divorcing him. The wife has a distinctive look and could be potentially be a good spouse because her problem with her current husband is that he has no spine - not a problem for a hero. Never tried it, though, because she's not a nice person. I don't know if the tables turn for a female hero or not.

Edit: Thinking about it, though, it's likely you only have to unlock the Lover's Pack to start the quest, not talk to Page. And apparently it works for both genders, as the possible mate is either Veronica or Vincent

I actually don't MIND that they are the worst weapons (though I certainly wouldn't mind if they were better), but I wish the weapon molding was explained better. What 'constitutes a style of fighting'? I mean...I almost didn't use the hero weapons at all until the end were I could fit any kind of enemy because I didn't want an abundance of hollow man killing (which is very prevalent in the beginning parts of the game) to ALWAYS affect my weapons.

It's not very well explained at all, here's basically how it works:

Each time you purchase a weapon upgrade on the Road to Rule, your weapons get morphed in a particular way. There are usually several morphs for each level (except the first), and they are selected at random when you purchase the upgrade. The probabilities of any mod being applied, however, are based on your stats at the time: the more you do something, the higher the odds that the weapon will pick up the associated mod. (Note that with the exception of the "Use Weapon" requirement, none of these really care if you actually touch the weapon ever.)

Here are the mods (using the Fable Wikia (http://fable.wikia.com/wiki/Hero_Weapons)):

Level 1: Etching - Etching colors are based on your allignment.

Level 2: Hilts - The grip of your weapons changes to one of these four:
* Bone: Kill hollowmen or be defeated (so upgrade before entering Mourningwood if you want to avoid it).
* Arcane: Use fireball or lightning spells.
* Elegant: Donate gold to beggars or befriend villagers.
* Ornate: Open chests or spend time in multiplayer.

Level 3: Bodies - The business end of the weapon:
* Bone: Make villagers hate you, kill villagers and soldiers, kick chickens
* Ornate: Amass gold, use weapon in question, use magic, use flourishes.
* Organic: Make villagers hate you, recieve gifts from villagers, spend time in multiplayer, commit crimes.
* Balvarine: Treasure hunting (includes chests, digs, and dive), spend gold, amass gold.
* Clockwork: use flourishes, spend gold, kick chickens, commit crimes, use weapon, use magic
* Onyx: Kill villagers, commit crimes, kick chickens.
* Crystal: Have a child (biological or adopted), befriend villagers, earn family's love.
* Elegant: Befriend villagers, have a child, make villagers fall in love with you, perform positive expressions with villagers.
* Angelic: Befriend villagers, earn family's love, make villagers fall in love with you.

Level 4: Weapon color
* Black: Kill wolves.
* Silver: Marry another hero, pay family upkeep.
* Golden: Amass gold.
* Steel: Kill mercenaries, dive for treasure.
* Copper: Amass guild seals, dig for treasure, kick chickens.
* Red: Earn gold from shops.
* Green: Consume health potions and vegetables.
* Purple: Sleep with several different partners.

Level 5: Auras
* Ethereal: Complete quests, kill elite soldiers.
* Darkness: Kill shadows and minions, get a divorce.
* Sparkling: Adopt a child, travel on foot
* Golden: Treasure hunting, earn money doing "job" minigames (i.e. Lute Hero)
* Flaming: Have orgies, use unweaved fireball, kill mercenary leaders
* Lightning: Kill sentinels, use unweaved lightning
* Poison: Commit crimes, catch STDs
* Blood: Kill balverines, sand furies, villagers, and soldiers

As you can see, they put an obscene level of effort into the weapons, but then sabotage their work by making them have no bonuses and the weakest power levels of their class in the game.

A trick I have found that works is to equip the weapons you're focused on, save the game before opening an upgrade chest, and then go to Road to Rule and open it. If you like the mod it picked for you, good, otherwise reset the game. Of course, probabilities don't change, so if you wait until after Mourningwood to buy the third level, something like four out of five attempts will be bone.

Deth Muncher
2010-11-17, 01:08 AM
So, the Industrial Knight (http://fable.wikia.com/wiki/Industrial_Knight_Outfit) outfit is full of Steampunk and Win, and I now have a visual for The Clockwork Armor in D&D.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-11-17, 11:28 AM
So, the Industrial Knight (http://fable.wikia.com/wiki/Industrial_Knight_Outfit) outfit is full of Steampunk and Win, and I now have a visual for The Clockwork Armor in D&D.

....Goddammit. And I'm not going to be able to use it either. ><

Dust
2010-11-17, 11:35 AM
I am trying to hard to be an evil empire, though loved by my people, and I simply cannot do it. I can't find any ways to get evil points that offset the 'good' I get from bettering my nation short of slaughtering civilians.

Calemyr
2010-11-17, 12:23 PM
I would think you could as a land baron. Buy all the houses in the game, set the rents to low or none. Then make evil decisions in the game. Rent rates don't seem to effect morality, but it does alter the opinion of the renter. (For instance, I tried to use "highest" rates to get some negative morality to upgrade a weapon. I achieved NOTHING alignment-wise, but the poor sods I gouged were so against me that I had to suck up to them a great deal just to get back to "Hated" status.)