PDA

View Full Version : Two questions! Ok maybe three

Armethious
2010-10-28, 02:01 PM
I originally asked these in the RAW thread, but apparently no one knew the answer. ;-( I had even reposted them, but to no avail. If you don't know the answer by RAW, then I am fine with opinions on how you would handle it.

The Phrenic template includes some Psi-Like Abilities which include body adjustment. The spell is in two lists, Psion/Wilder 5 and Psychic Warrior 3. Can I use the Psychic Warrior version? If so, I think that means I can heal 2d12 at level five, is that right?

Lets assume while I am leveling from 1-20 I lose four permanent levels over the course of that time due to energy drain or some such, none due to death. I now ding level 21 and can research epic spells. Assuming I research an epic spell based on the Heal seed and augment it enough to account for my earliest level drain, would I immediately gain four levels?

Also on the heal seed lists several things it can do and then it states, "Only a single application of the spell is needed to simultaneously achieve all these effects." After which in the same paragraph it mentions the healing of level drains. Is that intended to be included in the base ability, or because it comes after that statement, it is a separate function that does not include all the other effects?

Eldariel
2010-10-29, 01:47 AM
The Phrenic template includes some Psi-Like Abilities which include body adjustment. The spell is in two lists, Psion/Wilder 5 and Psychic Warrior 3. Can I use the Psychic Warrior version? If so, I think that means I can heal 2d12 at level five, is that right?

Core lists that X-Likes have an order of priority; basically, you first look if it's on a full caster list (with arcanists taking priority over divinists) and then if it's on a half-caster list. You use it as the first one you can find on the priority list. So I'd say you get the Psion/Wilder version.

Lets assume while I am leveling from 1-20 I lose four permanent levels over the course of that time due to energy drain or some such, none due to death. I now ding level 21 and can research epic spells. Assuming I research an epic spell based on the Heal seed and augment it enough to account for my earliest level drain, would I immediately gain four levels?

*shrug* Sure, but obviously you've been working at an about 4 level deficit for quite a long time.

Also on the heal seed lists several things it can do and then it states, "Only a single application of the spell is needed to simultaneously achieve all these effects." After which in the same paragraph it mentions the healing of level drains. Is that intended to be included in the base ability, or because it comes after that statement, it is a separate function that does not include all the other effects?

Since healing negative levels separately increases the DC, well, the "base functions" are included and if you increase the DC by 2, it heals the negative levels too.

Icewraith
2010-10-29, 01:55 AM
You don't get the lost levels back, they're already gone. While you temporarily lost some xp, if you were doing it right since XP is a river you should have mostly caught up. Once you've passed the second fort save to remove a negative level, you can't get the xp back afaik.

Armethious
2010-10-29, 07:42 AM
*shrug* Sure, but obviously you've been working at an about 4 level deficit for quite a long time.

Well, for example, if as soon as you got to level 4 you got level drained, you would lose about 1500 XP plus however far into level 4 you were. If that happened four times, you would be 6,000 to 10,000 XP behind. Which does not take very long at all to acquire. Also if you were only 6K behind, by level 7 you would only be one level behind your group. Going from level 21 to level 25, now that would normally take 90,000 XP.

Thanks for your answers!

You don't get the lost levels back, they're already gone. While you temporarily lost some xp, if you were doing it right since XP is a river you should have mostly caught up. Once you've passed the second fort save to remove a negative level, you can't get the xp back afaik.

The spell seed specifically says you would get them back as far back as 20 weeks, which is well past the 2nd fort save. So, why would you not get them back?