PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin King-A Halloween-themed PrC[3.5, PEACH]

Pyromancer999
2010-10-28, 05:03 PM
The Pumpking King
"That Serathan always throws me for a loop. She's always either prancing around like a child, or she's busy scaring the hell outta me"
-Neirdan, dwarf companion to a Pumpkin King

Some people are really into Halloween, taking the preceding month planning the perfect Halloween, making fantastic costumes, and generally being filled with the spirit of Halloween in general. Some begin to develop abilities due to this connection with Halloween. However, some of those are even more filled with the spirit of Halloween than others. These are Pumpkin Kings, making use of supernatural costumes to awesome effectiveness, enhancing their existing Halloween abilities, and also developing a few other awesome powers

Prerequisites:
Skills: Disguise 9 ranks or Profession(Seamstress or Tailor) 9 ranks
Feats: Scion of Halloween, Cool Costume, Awesome Costume(found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173098))

Class Skills: Bluff, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Knowledge(arcana), Knowledge (local), Hide, Intimidate, Move Silently, Profession
Skill Points: 4 + Int mod skill points

HD: d8

Pumpkin King
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Enhanced Halloween Power, Custom Costume(1)

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|Halloween's Boon

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1|Reaper's Scythe(basic), Better Costume(1 enhancement)

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Custom Costume (2)

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Halloween's Boon

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+2|Reaper's Scythe(reaping),Better Costume(two enhancements)

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+2|Custom Costume(3)

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+2|Halloween's Boon

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+3|Reaper's Scythe(True), Better Costume(three enhancements)

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+3|Custom Costume(4), True Scion of Halloween [/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Pumpkin Kings are proficient with simple weapons and the scythe.

Enhanced Halloween Power: Pumpkin Kings are treated as having 1 more feat than they have for the purposes of effects that depend on the number of Halloween feats they have.

Custom Costume: At 1st level, Pumpkin Kings become so proficient with their supernatural costumes that they can custom-make costumes for themselves. Select one creature you can transform into using the Awesome Costume feat that has a number of HD equal to the number of Halloween feats you have. This creature is known as the base creature. You may choose a number of features from the list below to enhance it equal to the number of Halloween feats you have - 1:

- +1 HD
- +1 to Natural Armor per 1/2 the number of Halloween feats you have
- Apply a template to it (counts as choosing 3 features per +1 LA of template)
- Add an appropriately natural attack to it
- Add darkvision 30 ft (extends 30 ft if already had) or low-light vision to it
- Add blindsense to it (counts as choosing 2 features per 20 feet)
- Add an amount of damage to an existing attack equal to 1/2 the number of Halloween feats you have
- Become one size larger(counts as choosing 2 features)

Once these features are selected, the resulting creature counts as a Custom Costume, and may be transformed into using the Awesome Costume feat. The Pumpkin King creates 1 additional costume at 4th and every 3 levels after. The resulting costume may look however like the Pumpkin King wishes, but is recognizable as the base creature the costume was created from (ex. A Pumpkin King wants a Mutant Costume, so he chooses a human as the base creature, then adds tentacle attacks and chooses it to look like it has black skin with odd green patterns, but, if one looks at it, is still recognizable as something human)

Halloween Boon: After a while, the spirit of Halloween further penetrates the Pumpkin King's being, granting it extra benefits to the Halloween abilities it has already developed. At 2nd level and every 3 levels after that, the Pumpkin King may choose to enhance one of his Halloween feats from the options below. The Pumpkin King may not choose the enhancement of a feat he or she does not have:

Scion of Halloween: The enhancement bonus to Spot changes to +1 to Spot per Halloween feat you have, and your low-light vision allows you to see three times as far as normal in low-light.

Candy-Lover: You gain one additional use of this feat per day, and may extend the one benefit you can gain from this ability to other people who eat the candy produced by it. The benefit shared is chosen when this enhancement is selected. This enhancement may be chosen more than once.

Cool Costume: You gain an additional use of this ability per day, and may choose to appear scary and big, allowing you to appear to be one size larger than you are and gaining a +1 to Intimidate Checks per Halloween feat you have.

Awesome Costume: You may choose one additional type for types of creatures you can change into using Awesome Costume.

Scary Costume: If creatures fail the save against your Frightful Presence ability, they become paralyzed with terror for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 the number of Halloween feats you posses.

Pumpkin Bombs: Your pumpkin bombs become even more filled with fire, dealing 1d6 + the number of Halloween feats you possess fire damage to everyone within 5 ft/ Halloween feat you posses(Reflex half)

Extra Halloween Spirit: Instead of enhancing an existing Halloween feat, you may instead choose any Halloween feat you qualify for as a bonus feat.

Reaper's Scythe: At 3rd level, the Pumpkin King learns how to channel the spirit of Halloween into a weapon. As a standard action, for a number of minutes equal to his class level + 1/2 the number of Halloween feats he has, the Pumpkin King summons a scythe made of terror, which deals damage as a normal scythe. Any creature hit by the scythe becomes panicked for 1 round, as the pure fear the blade is composed of shoots through them.

At 6th level, once per day, if the Pumpkin King reduces a creature to -10 or lower, he or she may go on a reaping spree, moving up to twice his speed as a standard action and attacking each creature adjacent to him during his or her movement once.

At 9th level, if the Pumpkin King scores a critical hit with an attack from his scythe, he may choose to give the creature attacked two negative levels.

The minutes of use granted by this class feature need not be used consecutively, but must still be used in one-minute increments.

Better Costume: At 3rd level, the Pumpkin King's attention moves a bit from making his own custom costume to modifying the wide selections of costumes he already has. He may apply one feature from the list of features for Custom Costume when under the effects of Cool Costume. This feature, once chosen, cannot be changed, and the Pumpkin King may not choose any feature that counts as choosing multiple features. At 6th and 9th levels, the
Pumpkin King may choose another feature from the list.

True Scion of Halloween: At 10th level, the Pumpkin King reaches the pinnacle of his Halloween-granted power, and gains multiple benefits from this achievement. First, the Pumpkin King gains the Major Scion of Halloween feat. Secondly, he may share the spirit of Halloween with others, granting others one use of any one of his Halloween feats per day. Each such endowment counts as the Pumpkin King having expended one use of the feat in question. Thirdly, he can make his custom made costumes come to life. For a number of rounds per day equal to his class level + 1/2 the number of Halloween feats he has, he may summon his one of his Custom Costume creatures.

Might be a bit overpowered, I'm not quite sure.

Please PEACH?

AustontheGreat1
2010-10-28, 05:23 PM
I apologize for not commenting on your class but could you please use this table instead? I just can't stand to see cramped class tables. Just a pet peeve of mine. again, I apologize.

Pumpkin King
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Enhanced Halloween Power, Custom Costume(1)

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|Halloween's Boon

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1|Reaper's Scythe(basic), Better Costume(1 enhancement)

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Custom Costume (2)

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Halloween's Boon

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+2|Reaper's Scythe(reaping),Better Costume(two enhancements)

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+2|Custom Costume(3)

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+2|Halloween's Boon

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+3|Reaper's Scythe(True), Better Costume(three enhancements)

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+3|Custom Costume(4), True Scion of Halloween [/table]

Pyromancer999
2010-10-28, 05:46 PM
Table has been changed.

Debihuman
2010-10-29, 05:39 AM
As for the prerequisite of skills, you need to add Ranks to the requirements. Since you can't take the Awesome Costume Feat until 6th level (it's a requirement of the feat), you can't enter this class until that level.

I'd recommend requiring these skills: Bluff, Disguise, Profession (Tailor or Seamstress) and making these skills class skills for the Pumpkin King. Additional class skills would be: Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge (Local), and Move Silently.

Custom Costume could use a little work. For example, you neglect to say how far you get Darkvision. It should be 30 feet. If you already have Darkvision, you should gain an additional 30 feet of Darkvision.

Natural Armor +1 probably shouldn't be based on the number of the Halloween feats you have. You need a minimum of three Halloween feats just to enter the class. Alternatively, you could gain a natural armor bonus equal to half your level Pumpkin King (rounded down).

Templates normally can only be added to creatures. Allowing them to be added to a costume sounds odd to me. Plus, this risks the costume being significantly overpowered. If nothing else, it should be at the DM's discretion.

Debby

Lev
2010-10-29, 06:40 AM
For inspiration:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Mad_King_Thorn

http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/thumb/a/af/Mad_King_Thorn_pointing.jpg/250px-Mad_King_Thorn_pointing.jpg

Pyromancer999
2010-10-29, 02:39 PM
As for the prerequisite of skills, you need to add Ranks to the requirements. Since you can't take the Awesome Costume Feat until 6th level (it's a requirement of the feat), you can't enter this class until that level.

I'd recommend requiring these skills: Bluff, Disguise, Profession (Tailor or Seamstress) and making these skills class skills for the Pumpkin King. Additional class skills would be: Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge (Local), and Move Silently.

Custom Costume could use a little work. For example, you neglect to say how far you get Darkvision. It should be 30 feet. If you already have Darkvision, you should gain an additional 30 feet of Darkvision.

Suggestions added in.

Natural Armor +1 probably shouldn't be based on the number of the Halloween feats you have. You need a minimum of three Halloween feats just to enter the class. Alternatively, you could gain a natural armor bonus equal to half your level Pumpkin King (rounded down).

This is already the case. My apologies if this was not clear.

Templates normally can only be added to creatures. Allowing them to be added to a costume sounds odd to me. Plus, this risks the costume being significantly overpowered. If nothing else, it should be at the DM's discretion.

Costumes are formed by taking a creature you can turn into and modify it. So, allowing a template to be applied to one is not that odd. As for the overpowering aspect you are concerned about, read the description a bit more closely. The maximum HD that the creature selected for the costume may have is the number of Halloween feats you have. So, the creature is more likely to be a good bit less powerful than another creature you could turn into on its own. If anything, adding a template would put it more on par with the other creatures the Pumpkin King is capable of transforming into. Anyways, if you had all of the Halloween feats, chose the maximum HD creature you could (8 HD), and spent all of your feature choices on templates, you'd have a 8 HD creature with a +2 LA template. At this point, should you have entered this class as early as possible, you're most likely at 16th level. Using Awesome Costume normally would result in a 16 HD creature's form being assumed then. So, this would prove that, if anything, this class feature is a bit underpowered.

Owrtho
2010-10-29, 03:07 PM
On the class skills you forgot to list profession. Also seems like it should have hide. The class seems interesting though.

Owrtho

Pyromancer999
2010-10-29, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the Hide suggestion. If you really think about it, it definitely is suited to the class.

Pyromancer999
2010-10-30, 09:38 AM
No one has anything more to say about the class? I was sort of hoping to have this ready to go by Halloween for a one-shot game that me and my group were going to have, so any and all comments would be appreciated/

Creed
2010-10-30, 10:01 PM
Wow, this is a nice class.
In an oldy 3.5 campaign I found myself playing a Master of Masks, and this class has a similar flavor but it's, well, how to say this...
Better and cooler. Good job, dude!:smallbiggrin:

Pyromancer999
2010-10-31, 09:09 AM
Thanks! Glad that you like it. The costume bit of this class was actually somewhat inspired by the Master of Masks.

Well, looks like it's ready to go. Unless anyone else wants to PEACH this. Can't wait to see how this works out in my group's Halloween one-shot. :smallbiggrin:

Creed
2010-10-31, 09:09 AM
Thanks! Glad that you like it. The costume bit of this class was actually somewhat inspired by the Master of Masks.

Well, looks like it's ready to go. Unless anyone else wants to PEACH this. Can't wait to see how this works out in my group's Halloween one-shot. :smallbiggrin:

Have fun!:smallbiggrin:

Pyromancer999
2010-10-31, 09:14 AM
Have fun!:smallbiggrin:

I think we will, thanks! By the way, everyone on here is encouraged to use this in any Halloween one-shots they may have, if they want.