PDA

View Full Version : I've Got it!

PsychoticPanda
2010-10-28, 05:34 PM
I know that there is another recent thread describing Durkon's return to the dwarf lands but my theory about it is to long. Hope you like it!

Spoiler Alert!!

Here I go:
Remember we all ready know (Durkon will return dead)
Before being sacrificing himself to protect the order, Durkon says his final wish is to be "reunited with his family in the dwarfern lands", or something like that. Roy, being lawful, honors his wish, and does not reserect him, but instead drop off his body on the way to the last gate in the north. When his family see he had really ran off to join a group of hero's (only to get killed) they get furious at the high priest for "keeping secrets". As we know the high priest knows nothing of this, so he declines that he sent Durkon away. This causes a civil war against the high priest and his followers, eventually bringing a end to the clan from the inside out.

super dark33
2010-10-28, 07:07 PM
0.0 FILLER TEXT

KoboldRevenge
2010-10-28, 07:37 PM
Thats preposterous! Why would the entire population of followers rebel over one lie? The dwarfs are blindly faithful to their gods and priest from what we've seen. So they would happy he died "fulfilling his duty to improve relations with the humens" Being a dwarf is about doing your duty (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0084.html).
not that don't I think it's a cool idea, I just like debating things.:smalltongue:

Morquard
2010-10-28, 08:07 PM
"You lie, you've send my little Durkon away 10 years ago!! Admit it finally!"
"But.. but I'm only high-priest for the last 2 years. It was the old high-priest"
"Lie! His friends said it was the high priest, and you are the high-priest, so it must have been you! Lets all rebel and start a civil war"

No, I don't really see that happening.

John Cribati
2010-10-28, 08:08 PM
Being a dwarf is about doing your duty (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0084.html).

And you have a duty to your family, don't you? And if someone caused the death of a family member, you'd want justice, wouldn't you? And when a religious figure is shown to be corrupt, you rebel against them. They could say that the high Priest isn't following the Will of Thor or something...

EDIT: :smallwink:

Nimrod's Son
2010-10-28, 10:46 PM
And you have a duty to your family, don't you? And if someone caused the death of a family member, you'd want justice, wouldn't you? And when a religious figure is shown to be corrupt, you rebel against them. They could say that the high Priest isn't following the Will of Thor or something...
As Morquard just pointed out, no one is going to believe that Durkon was sent away nearly twenty years ago by a high priest who's only been in office for a handful of years. The high priest isn't lying in this scenario, and it's very easy for him to prove it.

Gift Jeraff
2010-10-28, 10:56 PM
If they're drunk enough they might think the entire church of Thor is in on a big conspiracy. Plus that temple brewer guy might still be around and I don't know about him, man.

But seriously, I fail to see how that paragraph is "to long" for the Durkon prophecy thread that's still on the first page. :smallconfused:

Zevox
2010-10-28, 11:58 PM
But seriously, I fail to see how that paragraph is "to long" for the Durkon prophecy thread that's still on the first page. :smallconfused:
Indeed.

But really, the idea is ridiculous, as many have pointed out. There are many logic holes in the notion that Durkon's family would actually react that way, and even more in the idea that such a reaction on their part could possibly cause a civil war. Plus, even if that weren't the case, what would be the point? Durkon's family aren't exactly major characters in the comic, nor is anyone in his homeland, and under this idea they certainly don't become anywhere near important. It'd be a side-story without a purpose - no connection to the main plot or main characters at all.

Zevox

factotum
2010-10-29, 01:53 AM
I'm with Zevox on that one. It makes far more sense that the "death and destruction" brought to Dwarven lands by Durkon's return is something to do with the comic's main plotline, otherwise the prediction is pointless and unnecessary.

Souhiro
2010-10-29, 08:05 AM
You know, Soon wasn't an important character to the plot until he appeared as a Ghost Martyr. The figure of "Elan & Nale Daddy" wasn't important too, and now many of the new topics are opened in his name.

I don't think that there would be a civil war, since Durkon was CALLED BACK, and the high priest can say "I give a letter, calling him back, to a blue-haired paladin girl who never smiled... Mino... Mido... Miko, that is! Miko Miyazaki", and the order would side to that High Priest.

And given how prophecies and any divination of a future works here, I think that when whatever carries Durkon's corpse, will drop it in a weak table, broke it, and fall over an ant-hive, bringing Death (To the ants) and Descrutcion (To the Furniture)
That, or something else...

Scarlet Knight
2010-10-29, 08:47 AM
You know, that theory is so unlikely that the odds are, what? A million to 1?

:elan: "Dun, dun , duuun!"

Morph Bark
2010-10-29, 09:04 AM

Causing the death of =/= murder. If I threw a rock through a dimensional portal trying to find out if it would go through or the portal would do something nasty and it'd hit someone in the head and kill them, I would have caused their death, but I wouldn't have murdered them.

John Cribati
2010-10-29, 09:08 AM
Causing the death of =/= murder. If I threw a rock through a dimensional portal trying to find out if it would go through or the portal would do something nasty and it'd hit someone in the head and kill them, I would have caused their death, but I wouldn't have murdered them.

Odd... I do not see the word "murder" anywhere in my post.

Anyway, I forgot to put my "buggering around" smiley after the sentence, so the misunderstanding is my fault.

the Riddler
2010-10-29, 09:21 AM
I know that there is another recent thread describing Durkan's return to the dwarf lands but my theory about it is to long. Hope you like it!

[...]

Remember we all ready know (Durkan will return dead)
Before being sacrificing himself to protect the order, Durkan says

[...]

As we know the high priest knows nothing of this, so he declines that he sent Durkan away.

I wonder...Is this traditional & obsessive misspelling often coupled with whacko theories, perhaps, some sort of troll giveaway? :confused:

Leecros
2010-10-29, 09:36 AM
You know, that theory is so unlikely that the odds are, what? A million to 1?

:elan: "Dun, dun , duuun!"

nah, 999,999 to 1...so not quite enough to trigger anything.:smallamused:

Zevox
2010-10-29, 11:53 AM
You know, Soon wasn't an important character to the plot until he appeared as a Ghost Martyr. The figure of "Elan & Nale Daddy" wasn't important too, and now many of the new topics are opened in his name.
Er, no, Soon was important before that, being one of the Order of the Scribble that originally sealed the rifts and created the Gates. That's about as direct a part of this comic's main plot as you can be without being the Order, Xykon, or Redcloak. And in his appearance as a Ghost Martyr he was further important to the main plot because he was defending his Gate from Xykon.

Similarly, Tarquin has become important because of his connection to the main characters and because he can potentially help them locate Girard, tying him in to the main plot.

Under the theory the OP proposed, the Dwarves of Durkon's homeland don't become important to the plot or the main characters at all. They remain completely separate. Thus, such events on their own would be a pointless side-story.

Zevox

Ted The Bug
2010-10-29, 12:39 PM
It's very probable, considering that we know nothing about Durkan that would contradict it.

PsychoticPanda
2010-10-29, 01:45 PM
Man... sorry for the misspelling.

Oh and I had to leave early, otherwise it would have been longer and would have had more details.

137beth
2010-10-30, 09:17 AM
I think it is a lot more likely that he will be reanimated by Xykon, and sent as part of an undead army to attack his homeland.

Morph Bark
2010-10-31, 01:52 PM
Odd... I do not see the word "murder" anywhere in my post.

Exactly the point. Murder begs for justice. Causing a death begs for revenge. There is a difference.

fizzybobnewt
2010-11-01, 09:12 PM
I think it is a lot more likely that he will be reanimated by Xykon, and sent as part of an undead army to attack his homeland.

yeah, that's my favorite theory. I was gonna put it here...

darn ninja:smallbiggrin: