PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Misc Questions

Snarfmite
2010-10-28, 06:29 PM
Hello everyone, I'm DMing a group of new players, and I have a few misc questions (it's also my first time playing, and I can't find answers to these anywhere in the books or srd wiki).

First off, I have a rogue who just took two-weapon fighting - does she get sneak attack damage for each of her 2 weapon attacks? There is nowhere in the book that would suggest she wouldn't (sneak attack says "any time the rogue deals damage"). It seems a little OP to me, but I can't find a reason to not allow it.

Second, what are the rules on invisibility potions in combat? I remember one source telling me +2 AC to the user, but another saying a 50% chance of missing whenever the user is struck. Invisibility is lost when you attack though, right? But how do other monsters tell she's nearby? Is it move silently opposed by their Listens (which is... what it would be out of combat, right?)? Again, I can't find this info anywhere and I'm really confused.

The party just got to level 6, and some now have enough base attack bonus to attack twice in a turn. This applies to ranged attacks too, right? We have a ranger with double-shot, so if he stood still, he could doubleshot (2 arrows) and then shoot off another shot (1 arrow) for a total of 3 shots in a round, correct?

Also, if a caster goes unconscious, and the familiar is still alive, what can the familiar do?

Finally, familiars can deliver touch attacks of the caster they belong to. How does this work? Is it: Caster casts Heal on its turn, then familar's turn comes up, and familiar makes the moves to the target of heal, who is then healed?

dsmiles
2010-10-28, 06:45 PM
Hello everyone, I'm DMing a group of new players, and I have a few misc questions (it's also my first time playing, and I can't find answers to these anywhere in the books or srd wiki).

First off, I have a rogue who just took two-weapon fighting - does she get sneak attack damage for each of her 2 weapon attacks? There is nowhere in the book that would suggest she wouldn't (sneak attack says "any time the rogue deals damage"). It seems a little OP to me, but I can't find a reason to not allow it.

Second, what are the rules on invisibility potions in combat? I remember one source telling me +2 AC to the user, but another saying a 50% chance of missing whenever the user is struck. Invisibility is lost when you attack though, right? But how do other monsters tell she's nearby? Is it move silently opposed by their Listens (which is... what it would be out of combat, right?)? Again, I can't find this info anywhere and I'm really confused.

The party just got to level 6, and some now have enough base attack bonus to attack twice in a turn. This applies to ranged attacks too, right? We have a ranger with double-shot, so if he stood still, he could doubleshot (2 arrows) and then shoot off another shot (1 arrow) for a total of 3 shots in a round, correct?

Also, if a caster goes unconscious, and the familiar is still alive, what can the familiar do?

Finally, familiars can deliver touch attacks of the caster they belong to. How does this work? Is it: Caster casts Heal on its turn, then familar's turn comes up, and familiar makes the moves to the target of heal, who is then healed?

1. Yes, as long as the defender is denied their dexterity bonus, or is being flanked bu the rogue.
2. Same rules as the invisibility (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/invisibility.htm) spell.
3. I don't know doubleshot, but manyshot is a standard action all by itself.
4. Anything they could do before said caster was KO'd.
5. I think that familiars usually go on the caster's initiative, at least that's the way I've always done it. But yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it. Alternatively, the familiar is already at the target, the caster casts heal, the target is healed via the familiar.

The Playgrounders will correct me if I'm wrong on any of these.

Snarfmite
2010-10-28, 07:00 PM
2. Same rules as the invisibility (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/invisibility.htm) spell.

Yep, I've seen that, but it's not clear on combat rules: so nobody can do anything against invisible character until they attack? No way of sensing thier presence? I take it invisible chars don't provoke attacks of opportunity?

Thanks for your quick answers!

EDIT: Awesome avatar, by the way. I used to play Tau in 40k myself.

Kuma Kode
2010-10-28, 07:01 PM
I think there's something about a DC 20 Spot or Listen check to notice what square they're in, but they still benefit from full concealment (50% miss chance).

EDIT: Pretty sure it's Listen vs. Move Silently to hear them, since Invisibility does nothing against sound, and a DC 20 Spot check to pinpoint what square they're in.

dsmiles
2010-10-28, 07:04 PM
Yep, I've seen that, but it's not clear on combat rules: so nobody can do anything against invisible character until they attack? No way of sensing thier presence? I take it invisible chars don't provoke attacks of opportunity?

Thanks for your quick answers!

EDIT: Awesome avatar, by the way. I used to play Tau in 40k myself.

Yes and no. They can make listen checks to notice something, even if they can't pinpoint it. Once they notice something, they can attack a square that they believe contains that something. Creatures with scent, improved scent, blindsense, or blindsight can usually pinpoint an invisible creature.
They also provoke attacks of opportunity. However a creature that is unaware of the invisible creature's presence will be unable to capitalize on that opportunity.

nedz
2010-10-28, 07:35 PM
Invisibility is quite powerful when you first get it, but tends to be countered by Glitterdust, See Invisibility and True Seeing at some point.

Walking through Deep Snow, Sand, Water etc kind of gives the game away to.

Urpriest
2010-10-28, 07:37 PM
Essentially, treat an invisible creature as if all of its foes were blind with respect to it, using the rules for blindness in the DMG. I believe there aren't any differences between the situations, though I could be wrong.

Kuma Kode
2010-10-30, 08:29 AM
We got a little focused on the invisibility question...

Yes, you can sneak attack will all attacks you are entitled to so long as the circumstance that allows a sneak attack in the first place still applies. This is why I made a grapple-based character in the last D&D group we did. While grappled, for instance, a target loses their dexterity bonus to AC, so the rogue could run up and take full-attacks, sneak attacking them every time so long as they're grappled. I grappled, and the rogue proceeded to mince the enemy.

A rogue using invisibility, however, only gets the sneak attack damage on their first strike. Invisibility immediately ends whenever you attack, so only the first attack benefits from that circumstance.

Assuming you mean the feat Rapid Shot, yes, he can make 3 attacks, but all attacks will suffer the penalty from Rapid Shot.

A familiar can do anything it can think to do. They have a minimum intelligence of 6, which is equivalent to a dumb person. They could try to administer a health potion or try to alert allies.

Normally, when you cast a touch range spell, it does not actually go off. It sits in your hand. So long as you don't cast another spell or touch something with it, it will continue to sit in your hand. So you can cast shocking grasp, then spend a few rounds positioning yourself before you move in to actually deliver it. With a familiar, you can instead choose to have the spell sit in the familiar, provided you can touch it at first. They then can run around and discharge it on whatever they so choose.

It is important to note that tiny or diminutive familiars provoke an attack of opportunity from moving into an opponent's square to deliver the attack, but they do not provoke an attack from the actual touch because they are considered armed. If using a familiar in combat, try to have it be something like a bat that has movement options and some decent stealth, and buff it with some spells. If the enemies can't keep track of the tiny little bat flying around in the middle of battle, they can't take an attack against it. Then just have it use the withdraw action to escape into the air.