PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Rod of Aquatic Wonder

lumosdefortuno
2010-10-28, 07:25 PM
So I'm too lazy to repost the entire thing on here but its pretty awesome and I've got it up on the wizard boards, the link is below, I'd really appreciate some feedback as I haven't gotten a ton about it. :smallbiggrin:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19538790/Home_brew:_Rod_of_Aquatic_Wonder?post_id=332048434 #332048434

monkman
2010-10-28, 09:04 PM
Rod of Aquatic Wonder
caster level 25

These rare items were originally invented by an order of epic level arcane tricksters, creating the rod was part of the first level initiation. Contained within each rod is a thread from the fabric of reality snipped from the plane of water. Though knowledge of the rod's process of creation was made public knowledge as a way to find new members for the order, few of the rods today are still made by the original order. Those rods that do have a play back feature in which the original creator of the rod is able to play back footage from the time immediately surrounding uses of the rod. The order still gathers to watch their most amusing highlights of the year and it is a matter of honor to put the rods in the best locations to create the most amusing mischief possible and the members are constantly outdoing themselves for new laughs.

Anytime the rod is submerged in water there's a 50% chance the rod will activate, this can be accomplished water from a canteen glass or bucket if you are not near a body of water or not in heavy rain. Any time you strike a rod of aquatic wonder against a wall or against a normal rod of wonder you have a 50% chance of the rod shooting out water from the elemental plane of water, 100 gallons per round roll %dice for number of rounds the water pours out. DC 15 strength holds on to the rod or rather allows you to be drug along behind it with the current as the water shoots like a rocket out one end, DC 25 strength check allows you some control in the direction you go. If the rod is ever broken in half the thread of reality within it simply fades away, however if a rod is ever managed to be actually shattered (a very difficult feat indeed, dc 30 with a bludgeoning object) the thread explodes into a 100,000 gallons of water which will usually destroy any building within a 100 ft radius, after which as by the maelstrom spell a giant whirlpool opens up sucking all in its path back with it to the plane of water, all the water disappears within 10 rounds at the spot where the rod was shattered.

01 DMs choice

02-05 Freeze Spell

06-10 Dazed by luminescent jellyfish

11-15 Deludes wielder for 1 round into believing the rod functions a second roll

16-20 Tsunami Spell

21-25 Wielder learns target's surface thoughts for 1d8 rounds

26-30 Inky cloud as greater darkness

31-33 Standing Wave Spell

34-36 Summon Animal- Seacat (01-25), Giant Squid (26-50), single jellyfish (51-97), aquatic genie (98-100) roll d4 to determine genie's attitude toward wielder (unfriendly, indifferent, friendly, helpful)

37-46 Maelstrom Spell creates whirlpool which leads to plane of water

47-49 (roll d6) (1-2) rainbow minnows as butterflies from rod of wonder (3-4) swarm of poison jellyfish 4d12 (5-6) Vortex of Teeth Spell

50-53 roll d4 1 wielder grows or shrinks (50% chance of either), 2 target grows or shrinks (50% chance of either), 3-4 until the end of round for every size category target shrinks the wielder grows and vice versa (50% chance to determine whom initially shrinks and who grows), roll a d6 to determine number of size categories shrank or enlarged

54-58 Blast of Energy as Energy Breath Weapon of Great Wyrm d6 determines type (1 Silver, 2 Oceanus, 3 Styx, 4 Prismatic, 5 Topaz, 6 Radiant Dragon's Cone of Light)

59-62 Seaweed grows 20x in 300 diameter foot area around centered on target, entangles

63-65 turn target ethereal

66-69 Field of Icy Razors Spell

70-79 ice ball, 10d6 cold damage 10d6 bludgeoning damage

80-84 Greater invisibility on wielder

85-87 target grows 8 tentacles and gains a new attack from each tentacle at full base attack bonus

88-90 % die x8 50gp pearls deal 1d6 damage per pearl, make DC 25 strength check to aim or lose control and pearls hit random targets, roll % to see what percentage is destroyed on impact

91-95 Scintillating Patterns Spell

96-97 Wielder permanently gains coloration of; clown fish (01-50), orca (51-75), transparent jellyfish (75-100)

98-100 transforms target into warship two size categories larger than its base size, ship is built intended for wielder, ship retains target's resistances, immunities and spell like abilities, ship is full animated and under control of whomever wields the rod as domination spell, effect lasts target's HD in weeks unless effect is dispelled by controller of rod or the rod is broken making the effect permanent but freeing the ship of any control, a rod can only control 1 ship at a time, ship can use submerge ship at will, the figurehead at the front of the ship resembles the target creature
[example, a halfling uses the rod to transform a great wyrm ethereal dragon into a ship, warship becomes gargantuan 3 but is built for small size humanoids (galley is fully stocked with food palatable to halflings), breath weapon is divided among and added to the cannons of the ship, ship is able to turn ethereal at will, even in limited sections if desired, and is able to travel in between this and the ethereal realm, ship is able to fly.]

Rod of Aquatic Wonder
caster level 25
Cost?

Anytime the rod is submerged in water there's a 50% chance the rod will activate, this can be accomplished water from a canteen glass or bucket if you are not near a body of water or not in heavy rain.
Should this be a UMd check?

Any time you strike a rod of aquatic wonder against a wall or against a normal rod of wonder you have a 50% chance of the rod shooting out water from the elemental plane of water, 100 gallons per round roll %dice for number of rounds the water pours out.
Why would this happen?IF you still keep it, say that when ever it is touch or takes damage, the water somes out. And what Is %dice?(d100.D20,D10,D8,D6,D4)

DC 15 strength holds on to the rod or rather allows you to be drug along behind it with the current as the water shoots like a rocket out one end, DC 25 strength check allows you some control in the direction you go.
Should there be a reflex save if you wish to let go of it and how much does the water damage per turn?

If the rod is ever broken in half the thread of reality within it simply fades away, however if a rod is ever managed to be actually shattered (a very difficult feat indeed, dc 30 with a bludgeoning object) the thread explodes into a 100,000 gallons of water which will usually destroy any building within a 100 ft radius, after which as by the maelstrom spell a giant whirlpool opens up sucking all in its path back with it to the plane of water, all the water disappears within 10 rounds at the spot where the rod was shattered.
give it a hardness and Hp.It would do hoe much damage to the epople who break it, To people in 100ft, in people in 1000 ft, Or maybe you can give it a spell

02-05 Freeze Spell
what is a freeze spell?

06-10 Dazed by luminescent jellyfish
What does this daze do?

11-15 Deludes wielder for 1 round into believing the rod functions a second roll
What is the ability that the wielder think he's doing?

16-20 Tsunami Spell
book? or is homebrew, If so write what it does?

21-25 Wielder learns target's surface thoughts for 1d8 rounds
What a target surface?

26-30 Inky cloud as greater darkness
What happens if your not in water?

31-33 Standing Wave Spell
explain the spell.

34-36 Summon Animal- Seacat (01-25), Giant Squid (26-50), single jellyfish (51-97), aquatic genie (98-100) roll d4 to determine genie's attitude toward wielder (unfriendly, indifferent, friendly, helpful)
no comment but this aint really use full

37-46 Maelstrom Spell creates whirlpool which leads to plane of water
Cant you do a swin check to go away?

47-49 (roll d6) (1-2) rainbow minnows as butterflies from rod of wonder (3-4) swarm of poison jellyfish 4d12 (5-6) Vortex of Teeth Spell
What are these creature? stats please

50-53 roll d4 1 wielder grows or shrinks (50% chance of either), 2 target grows or shrinks (50% chance of either), 3-4 until the end of round for every size category target shrinks the wielder grows and vice versa (50% chance to determine whom initially shrinks and who grows), roll a d6 to determine number of size categories shrank or enlarged
i dont get what has to do with water

54-58 Blast of Energy as Energy Breath Weapon of Great Wyrm d6 determines type (1 Silver, 2 Oceanus, 3 Styx, 4 Prismatic, 5 Topaz, 6 Radiant Dragon's Cone of Light)
...Put what element each does

59-62 Seaweed grows 20x in 300 diameter foot area around centered on target, entangles

63-65 turn target ethereal
How long?

66-69 Field of Icy Razors Spell
Save dc, Spell resitance, Save maybe?

70-79 ice ball, 10d6 cold damage 10d6 bludgeoning damage
Sr, and save

85-87 target grows 8 tentacles and gains a new attack from each tentacle at full base attack bonus
damage?

88-90 % die x8 50gp pearls deal 1d6 damage per pearl, make DC 25 strength check to aim or lose control and pearls hit random targets, roll % to see what percentage is destroyed on impact
Give us what % equal, need rewording, I dont understand

91-95 Scintillating Patterns Spell
explain what his does.

96-97 Wielder permanently gains coloration of; clown fish (01-50), orca (51-75), transparent jellyfish (75-100)
What ddoes this do?

98-100 transforms target into warship two size categories larger than its base size, ship is built intended for wielder, ship retains target's resistances, immunities and spell like abilities, ship is full animated and under control of whomever wields the rod as domination spell, effect lasts target's HD in weeks unless effect is dispelled by controller of rod or the rod is broken making the effect permanent but freeing the ship of any control, a rod can only control 1 ship at a time, ship can use submerge ship at will, the figurehead at the front of the ship resembles the target creature
[example, a halfling uses the rod to transform a great wyrm ethereal dragon into a ship, warship becomes gargantuan 3 but is built for small size humanoids (galley is fully stocked with food palatable to halflings), breath weapon is divided among and added to the cannons of the ship, ship is able to turn ethereal at will, even in limited sections if desired, and is able to travel in between this and the ethereal realm, ship is able to fly.]
Does this work on creatures? Do it have a save?
What's the caster lv,Spell resitance,?

lumosdefortuno
2010-10-28, 09:44 PM
the caster lvl is 25, most of the spells are taken from the spell compendium, I believe freeze and Tsunami are both druid spells, wow you've got a lot of questions. A lot of stuff I tried to take the original rod of wonder and use the spell compendium to create an aquatic/higher powered version of it. What can I say, I'm an artist/writer I'm bound to take a create license here and there :smalltongue: ! As for the colorations, unless the dm wants to give situational bonus for it (I was considering maybe the orca coloring gets a hide bonus when swimming in deep water and the jellyfish maybe makes you glow in the dark and the clown fish makes you immune to poison which is absorbed through the skin), the coloration is basically the same as the original rod of wonder's ability to turn the target a random color. Its a rod of wonder, they just do weird **** every now and then.

:elan: If you go back and look at the original rod of wonder you'll see that a lot of the stuff that you are like why is this useful or what does this have to do with water is a new interpretation of the original rod. Remember the idea is that to create a rod of aquatic wonder a thread from the plane of water is placed within a regular rod of wonder. Its still a rod of wonder it just now its spell are more powerful and mostly associated with water.

Oh as for the warship spell I thought I had put down that the save was the same as a greater domination spell cast by a 21st lvl caster. And yes any creature or plant can have this spell cast on it.

As for the water coming out when it gets struck, it requires about the same force as it does to strike a flare against a wall, it won't just go off in your bag unless it gets wet. Its a variant rod of wonder, rods of wonder are not supposed to be useful most the time, they are meant to be colorful and entertaining (esp. for the dm) and they are meant to make the players laugh. They are just a lot of fun, and sometimes useful.:smallbiggrin:

lumosdefortuno
2010-10-28, 10:03 PM
ok so the tentacles each one I was thinking would be at your normal unarmed damage, though the tentacles could maybe use simple weapons but with a minus 2 to hit from the normal base attack.

Seriously if I tell you the effect is as such and such spell, especially a spell in the PHB like scintillating patterns, I shouldn't have to tell you all the effects that spell does.

My plan with this item was to give a loose description and then really leave a lot of it up to the dm, this is really an item for a dm that is creative, loves to tell a good story and can think on her toes.

lumosdefortuno
2010-10-28, 10:09 PM
cost really isn't appropriate for this item, its one of those items that borders on artifact, unless you character reaches epic levels they are never going to be able to create this item, the very concept of this item is that its meant to be found, the epic lvl arcane tricksters who create these usually set them somewhere they can be found (hopefully by a good or neutral character) within a evil or otherwise oppressively ruled area. And you aren't going to get any money from selling it, no shop keeper (unless they are a little crazy or don't know what it is) is going to keep around an item that has a chance of accidently summoning an unfriendly genie or a maelstrom just lying around.

Debihuman
2010-10-28, 11:05 PM
A standard Rod of Wonder is "Moderate Enchantment; CL 10th; Craft Rod; confusion; creator must be chaotic; Price 12,000 gp." It strikes me that an aquatic version would be similar in scope.

Debby