PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Suffocate spell

Arutema
2010-10-29, 03:33 AM
Noticed this spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/suffocation) in the Advanced Players Guide.

How is it for a 5th-level save or suck/save or die spell. Is it worth spending one of a Sorceror's known spells on just so I can make the verbal component "You have failed me..."?

tyckspoon
2010-10-29, 09:48 AM
Pretty good, for a Save-or-Die; it's not [Death] or [Mind-Affecting], so a lot of the usual immunities don't apply, it's relatively low level, and it has a useful if relatively weak side effect even if the victim saves. The downside is of course finding enemies that need to breath, so you still can't use it on some of the things that would otherwise be immune to Death or Mind-Affecting, as well as a number of other Types (off the top of my head, Undead, Constructs, Plants, Ooozes, most Outsiders, and Elementals usually don't need to breath.)

That is, assuming it works the way I want it to and failing the initial save means the target is at least unconscious. If they can make another Fort save to delay suffocation on that round as well, then it becomes a double-save before it does anything and is much less useful.

senrath
2010-10-29, 10:25 AM
The target actually gets a total of 4 saving throws, assuming they fail the first one. However, if they fail even one save they're effectively out of the fight, since it knocks them unconscious and down to 0 HP.