PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Feedback wanted on a native american warrior class

SowelBlack
2010-10-29, 09:17 AM
Would you allow the class described below in your campaign? If not, what would you take away? (Or if it is underpowered, what would you add back?)

This is sort of a druid/barbarian. I envision it as an native american indian warrior class that is part of a tribe that is close to animals.

From the druid they get:
*Nature bond
*Several Nature Feats (Nature Sense @1; Wild Empathy @1; Woodland Stride @2; Trackless Step @3; Resist Nature’s Lure @4; Venom Immunity @9; A Thousand Faces @13; Timeless body @15)
*Wild Shape (1/day @4; 2/day @6; 3/day @8; 4/day @10; 5/day@12; 6/day @14; 7/day @16; 8/day @18; At Will @20)

From the barbarian they get:
*Rage (Rage @1; Rage Power @2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20; Greater Rage @11; Indomitable Will @14; Tireless Rage @17; Mighty Rage @20)
*A Few Maneuverability Feats (Fast Movement @1; Uncanny dodge @2; Improved uncanny dodge @5)

The hit die splits the difference of the two classes: d10.
They get the Barbarian's base attack bonus progression.
They get 4 skill points/level (as do both barbarians and druids).
They get the druid's armor options (Light, Medium non-metal armor and non-tower shields).
Finally they get to use all simple weapons plus one "favored" weapon of their tribe. (More like a cleric.)

Does that seem particularly unbalanced compared to other base classes?

Cidolfas
2010-10-29, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't call it unbalanced. The real combat abilities are coming from the barbarian, which is around Tier 5 for me. Without the druid's spellcasting or wild shape, there's really not much that it actually gains in terms of combat abilities from the druid side. All it gets is the fluff, which is fine, but it's basically a refluffed barbarian IMO. Might be OK for a Pathfinder game, but I would normally consider it on the weak side.

SowelBlack
2010-10-29, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't call it unbalanced. The real combat abilities are coming from the barbarian, which is around Tier 5 for me. Without the druid's spellcasting or wild shape, there's really not much that it actually gains in terms of combat abilities from the druid side. All it gets is the fluff, which is fine, but it's basically a refluffed barbarian IMO. Might be OK for a Pathfinder game, but I would normally consider it on the weak side.

Thanks for the initial feedback, but I think you missed that the druid's wild shape is preserved... that might make a big difference...?