PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Moon Bolt

satorian
2010-10-29, 01:48 PM
So this is a pretty neat spell. Solid scaling strength damage for a cleric. But it says in the stats that it can affect a second creature near the first, with a see description caveat. The description says nothing about this. The errata to SpC mentions nothing about the spell. Is this second person affected an artifact of the spell in another source? Is it still valid? Is there a triggering mechanism that makes it affect a second target?

Nohwl
2010-10-29, 01:54 PM
i don't have my books in front of me, but i believe the spell can also be used against undead and can make two of them helpless.

satorian
2010-10-29, 01:57 PM
Well, yes, instead of strength damage, it makes undead helpless. Which is nice. But the question is how, or if, it can affect more than one target, undead or not. The table says see text about the second one. The text says nothing about a second target, and always uses the singular when discussing the target.

Diarmuid
2010-10-29, 02:04 PM
It simply allows for targeting of 1 creature within range, or 2 targets within range who are also no more than 15' apart.

The See Text section of the Target seems erroneous.

senrath
2010-10-29, 02:06 PM
Yeah, the See Text doesn't seem to mean anything. And the text is written referring to "a creature struck by a moon bolt", not "the creature struck by the moon bolt", so it's not like the text directly contradicts the target line.

hamishspence
2010-10-29, 02:37 PM
I've been looking and Ican't find a pre-Spell Compendium source for the Moon Bolt spell. Does anyone recall what book it was in- or if it was in Dragon Magazine?

Starbuck_II
2010-10-29, 03:00 PM
NWN 2 has it so it must exist prior.

satorian
2010-10-29, 03:02 PM
Hm well I found this on the DnD wiki, under the listing for a custom prestige class. I assume she got it from somewhere...

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/User:Drow9991#Moon_Bolt

Moon Bolt

Evocation Level:Clr 3, Drd 3 Components:V,S Casting Time:1 standard action Range:Long(400 Ft. + 40 Ft./Level) Target:One living thing or undead creature, or two living or undead creatures, no two of which can be more than 15 Ft. apart (See Text) Duration: Instantaneous Saving Throw:Fortitude half(living target) or Will negates (undead target) Spell Resistance:Yes You create a bolt of shimmering moonlight that streaks from your outstretched hand to strike any living or undead creature in range. Moon bolts strike targets unerringly. A living creature struck by a moon bolt takes 1d4 points of Strength damage per three caster levels (maximum 5d4). If the target makes a successful Fortitude saving throw, the Strength damage is halved. An undead creature struck by a moon bolt must make a Will saving throw or fall prone and remain motionless and helpless for 1d4 rounds, after which time it is no longer helpless and can stand upright, but it suffers a -2 penalty to attack rolls and Will saving throws for 1 additional minute. If you cast this spell outdoors at night, you can generate a second moon bolt that can be directed at the same target or a second target within 15 feet of the first target.

senrath
2010-10-29, 03:04 PM
Huh, except for the "outdoors at night" bit, that's identical to the SpC text.

satorian
2010-10-29, 03:09 PM
Aha! I found this from an index:

"Forgotten Realms, Sin Eaters of Eilistraee"
Awaken Sin (Clr 3, Pal 3) [Enchantment (Compulsion) [Fear, Good, Mind-affecting]]
Eilistraee's Grace
Moon Bolt
Moon Lust

Issue 315

Page 28

I don't have the magazine, but it would seem the original intent, if the dnd article is right, that you you can only affect a second creature if under moonlight. Still, that's only archaeological data. The question is, as it stands, should that intent be ignored?

Thrawn183
2010-10-29, 03:18 PM
It simply allows for targeting of 1 creature within range, or 2 targets within range who are also no more than 15' apart.

The See Text section of the Target seems erroneous.

+1 to this. You can hit two targets if they are very close to each other.

Also, I really like the spell as it is a significant amount of ability damage, with great range, but is still useful against a creature type that this kind of spell would normally be ineffective (undead).

hamishspence
2010-10-29, 03:22 PM
I've just checked- the Dragon Magazine 315 version of the spell was 3rd level (but did the same amount of damage and affected undead the same way).

it stated that (under moonlight) you could choose to fire a second bolt at the same target, or at a different target within 15 ft of it.

The Spell Compendium version made it 4th level.

And by removing the text, could be said to make the second bolt always available (but, no longer able to be fired at the same target).

If so- this would be a bit of a nerf in that respect- possibly enough to justify it not needing moonlight to work.

EDIT: Sword-saged.