PDA

View Full Version : Ribbons as weapons? (3.5/PF)

onthetown
2010-10-29, 07:45 PM
I got this idea by watching a traditional Chinese ribbon dance and would love to have a character who has ribbons as weapons (dealing lethal damage). I know, horribly inefficient... but, since this is D&D, anything can happen, and I'm sure it's been done before somewhere.

So... lethal damage, obviously a slashing weapon. There should be reach... But how far could it reach, and how much damage should it do? I'm tempted to go with d4 or d6.

Pretty ribbons.

Greenish
2010-10-29, 08:09 PM
Completely off-topic, but Ribbonweave is an exotic swordcane from RoE, and weapons made of Kaorti resin are known as "ribbon" weapons.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-10-29, 08:49 PM
Reflavored whip, perhaps? Which means pyrokineticist could be cool.

Urpriest
2010-10-29, 08:52 PM
There are a bunch of scarf-based Wu Jen spells, and most of them could be reflavored to be ribbon-based. Also, the broken but amusing Streamers spell.

Prime32
2010-10-29, 09:21 PM
IIRC these are called "spinning swords" in D&D.

gorfnab
2010-10-29, 11:17 PM
Pathfinder: Curse of the Crimson Throne Player's Guide has scarf (bladed, reinforced, and pocketed) weapons on page 13.

Xuc Xac
2010-10-30, 02:01 AM
Tie a dagger to the end of the ribbon and you've got a rope dart. Make the ribbon out of steel and you have an urumi.

Eloel
2010-10-30, 02:25 AM
Whatever weapon you reflavor (or make) to be ribbons, you just HAVE TO go Dervish. Built-in dancing :smallsmile:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-10-30, 02:34 AM
Start with a Whip-Dagger from Arms and Equipment Guide, and make it a Kaorti Resin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) ribbon weapon. That works like a standard whip but does lethal damage regardless of your opponent's armor, deals 1d6+Str slashing damage, and gets a 19-20/x4 crit. It would have to start out as a magic item so it wouldn't decay without a kaorti reapplying resin to it. You could even use it two-handed with Power Attack, and I'd definitely either get Improved Crit or make it Keen.

icefractal
2010-10-30, 03:59 AM
As gorfnab mentions, the Bladed Scarf exists. IIRC, it works like a spiked chain, with less damage but a better critical range.

Cicciograna
2010-10-30, 04:06 AM
Nonsense! Everybody knows that Ribbons are not weapons but defensive items that grant complete immunity to status ailments! :smalltongue:

*quietly exits thread*

umbrapolaris
2010-10-30, 04:52 AM
I got this idea by watching a traditional Chinese ribbon dance and would love to have a character who has ribbons as weapons (dealing lethal damage).

in many chinese Wu Xia Pan movies (sword fighting movies), some female warriors used ribbons as crushing/slashing/entangling weapons , using the edge of the ribbon for slashing and the flat of the ribbon for big slaps ^^ . they use the ribbons as hidden weapons.

i think the mechanic of the whips or chain can be used for this, with lower damage that can be improved by feats. the dervish, improvised weapon master, or chain-user class could fit to what u need.

Gaiyamato
2010-10-30, 04:58 AM
This would be very awesome and I cannot believe that I had not thought of this myself.

BTW to get an idea of the fighting style there is something similar using silk in House of Flying Daggers.
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1965332480/tt0385004

She does a dance/fight hitting drums with long strips of silk from her sleeves.
Combine that with the Chinese ribbin dancing and a little kung fu it would look awesome.

Totally worth a custom item and prestige/base class.

Lev
2010-10-30, 05:20 AM
Nine section whip or horsehair whip fits this nicely.

Just add some magic to it that blurs the weapon.

Alternatively use entangling staff as a base weapon.

Ravens_cry
2010-10-30, 05:31 AM
Pathfinder: Curse of the Crimson Throne Player's Guide has scarf (bladed, reinforced, and pocketed) weapons on page 13.
That was my thought as well. Here's a link to the bladed scarf (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/scarf-bladed) in the Pathfinder SRD.

Sir Giacomo
2010-10-30, 05:52 AM
This would be very awesome and I cannot believe that I had not thought of this myself.

BTW to get an idea of the fighting style there is something similar using silk in House of Flying Daggers.
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1965332480/tt0385004

She does a dance/fight hitting drums with long strips of silk from her sleeves.
Combine that with the Chinese ribbin dancing and a little kung fu it would look awesome.

Totally worth a custom item and prestige/base class.

I once thought about a similar thing for a homebrew monk weapon.

Possibly something that uses the mechanics of the whip and net all in one, but without doing any damage - just providing good reach for combat maneuvers and entangle effects.

In that great move scene you quoted, the reach is something like 30ft I guess. Maybe the silk strip reach could be increased in 10ft steps by taking feats?

Keeping as close to the core rules as possible just use the spiked chain stats (trip, 10ft reach), but without any damage-dealing and a trip bonus to make up for that.*

- Giacomo

*Edit: of course, like in the movie, it should be possible to disarm with the weapon as well... and in such a way as if the wielder were unarmed, i.e. you can use the disarmed weapon immediately for your own attacks, but possibly using your attack bonus with the ribbon.

Gaiyamato
2010-10-30, 07:01 AM
What about

{table="header"]Name | Cost | Small | Medium | Critical | Range | Weight | Type
Dancing Ribbons | +50gp | special | special | special | - | 1lb | Special
Dancing Ribbons Extention | +15gp | - | - | - | - | +0.5lb | -
[/table]

Dancing Ribbons Extention:
Add an additional +5 feet to the reach of the Dancing Ribbons. All attacks using the dancing ribbins are at a -2 pentalty for each extension.

Dancing Ribbons:
These are attached to a silk shirt or silk dress worn by the dancer.
Dancing Ribbons has reach. You can strike opponents 10 feet away with it, but you can’t use it against an adjacent foe. It may however be rolled up as a swift action and does not hinder unarmed strikes if done so.

Dancing Ribbons is an exotic weapon and requires the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Dancing Ribbons) feat to be weilded at all.
Anyone without the feat cannot access it's abilities.

Each 5ft of reach has a hardness of 0 and 1hp, it cannot be sundered by any attack that deals piecing or bludgeoning damage only.

Weapon Finesse may be applied to dancing ribbons. Only a maximum of +2 Strength bonus may be applied to attacks with the dancing ribbons.

When weiled by a character with the exotic weapon proficiency feat it grants access to the below options each action uses an attack from one arm unless stated otherwise:

Snatching Monkey: Like a greedy beast a ribbon snakes out and wraps itself about the target's weapon, seeking to take it for itself. The wielder may make a disarm attack against a single target at reach that does not provoke AoO. If the weilder has Improved Disarm then it applies to this attack. A failed Disarm attempt allows the target to attempt a trip attack in retaliation as if a trip attempt had been failed. If the attempt suceeds the weilder may make a Reflexes save (DC 12) to catch the weapon, bundling up the ribbons as they do so. The wielder may chose to simply fling the weapon away of let it fall to the ground however.
Both arms may be used against the same target in the same attempt for a +5 bonus.

Curling Dragon: The ribbons strike out like a flash and curl about the feet of the target, seeking to pull them over. The wielder may make a trip attack against a single target at reach that does not provoke AoO. If the weilder has Improved trip then it applies to this attack, except that should the trip attack fail the weilder cannot drop this weapon and is subject to a retrun trip attempt.
Both arms may be used against the same target in the same attempt for a +2 bonus.

Dancing Waves: The ribbons twist and weave as the weilder dances, leaving those watching confused as to what move shall come next. The weilder may make a feint attempt at range. If the weilder has improved trip then it applies to this attack.

Graceful Fist: The silk ribbon bunches in the air and strikes out in a strait line at it's target. Treat this as an unarmed strike at reach. Any bonuses to Unarmed Strike from feats and/or class abilities may be applied to this attack.
The damage type for this attack is non-lethal unless the attackers Unarmed Attack has the ability to deal lethal damage. Then it deals Bludgeoning damage instead. The attack may chose to deal non-lethal damage.
The target is knocked back 1ft per 5hp of damage dealt.

Singing Blade: The silk ribbon slices through the air, hard as steel and sharp as the sharpest blade. This attack deals 1D3 Slashing damage. However light armor struck by this attack must face a Sunder attempt (roll attack roll seperately) with a -4 penalty. This does not provoke any AoO.

Serpent's Grasp: The two sleeves comes together to wrap themselves about the target's throat constricting them.
The wielder may make a grapple attempt against a single target at reach that does not provoke AoO. Instead of Strength apply the weilders Dexterity bonus to the attempt. A failed grapple allows the target to attempt a trip attack in retaliation as if a trip attempt had been failed.
If the attempt succeeds and is held it does not deal crushing damage. Instead it cuts off the flow of air to the lungs. The target must make a check for each round after the first for being unable to breath.
Should the target pass they may attempt a trip attempt against the wielder with a -2 penalty per round strangled.
The weilder may release this at any time.

My wording is very funny, and I'm sure some players will instantly see some balance issues. But there is a start.

umbrapolaris
2010-10-30, 07:15 AM
good job :smallsmile: , exactly in the flavor of most of the movies i saw ^^

now need the PrC :smalltongue:

Gaiyamato
2010-10-30, 08:03 AM
prcs are a little trickier. lol.

But monk works really well as a base class with that weapon.

What about a monk fluffed cross between Theif-Acrobat and Tempest or something like that. With lots of dancing related stuff?

Prime32
2010-10-30, 08:09 AM
That's a bit much to be built into a weapon. Seems more like a tactical feat.

And there are already rules on damage types and sundering - if you're really good you should be able to cut ribbons by shooting them with a crossbow.

umbrapolaris
2010-10-30, 08:19 AM
i think a mix between the Dervish (complete warrior) and Master of Chains (sword & fist) abilities fit perfectly. the thief acrobat is more an infiltration guy. the Tempest is just the two-weapon fighting feat path transformed into a PrC.

not false

And there are already rules on damage types and sundering - if you're really good you should be able to cut ribbons by shooting them with a crossbow.

you may cut one part of the ribbon, maybe the ribbon is longer than u think :smallwink: or the user have many ribbons hidden ^^

Psyren
2010-10-30, 08:36 AM
Nonsense! Everybody knows that Ribbons are not weapons but defensive items that grant complete immunity to status ailments! :smalltongue:

*quietly exits thread*

Ribbons; protecting your androgynous protagonist from androgynous villains since the 90's.

I support the whip idea - Sune's weapon is a ribbon, and that is what it comes out to mechanically.

Gaiyamato
2010-10-30, 08:44 AM

meh I knocked it out in about 2 minutes.

Your right, it is too much for a non-magical weapon. It would make a much better tactical feat. Then the suggestion from before to use feats for the extension instead of it being equipment would also be more sensible.

These aren't hair ribbons. Shooting it with a crossbow would only leave a hole in it. lol.

Prime32
2010-10-30, 08:51 AM
These aren't hair ribbons. Shooting it with a crossbow would only leave a hole in it. lol.Unless you shoot it along the width. :smallwink:

Gaiyamato
2010-10-30, 08:53 AM
Unless you shoot it along the width. :smallwink:

They are a tube. Shoot it from any angle you want. You still only get a hole. :P
They only flatten out right at the end. Before that they are a sleeve.

Unless your thinking of those little ones on sticks?

Saintheart
2010-10-31, 08:31 AM
Streamers from Shining South!

Not a weapon, but it's ribbons that do lethal damage! :smallcool:

onthetown
2010-10-31, 05:26 PM
My DM might hate you guys. I ended up making yet another character after reading through these suggestions and stats. He really needs to put a limit on the number of characters I'm allowed to have, since every idea I get or you guys help me with turns into something awesome.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been waiting it out to see what came from it.

This is all awesome. :smallbiggrin: Oriental Adventures, here I come.