PDA

View Full Version : I need character alignment help

TechnOkami
2010-10-29, 11:08 PM
This character hasn't entered the game yet, but here's the basics.

He's an Illithid with amnesia. The party will stumble upon him as they try and hunt down the BBEG who has some massive underground labrynth system. He was in suspended animation when the party found him (as per the Imprisonment spell) and (purposefully or accidentally) wake him up. He only remembers his name and recalls the class he is of, other than that he doesn't remember anything about his past and doesn't know how he ended up underground. He doesn't even know what race he is.

And with that, can you help me with his alignment?

Play on little giants, play on.

P.S. If you want the back story as to why he's underground, just ask, but since he doesn't remember it won't be important until he actually starts to remember things about his past, thus it doesn't really have any effect on his alignment other than the fact that he can't remember any of it.

WarKitty
2010-10-29, 11:18 PM
Could be anything. Not enough information. You've given us backstory, but we don't know anything about anything he's done or what his personality is like.

TechnOkami
2010-10-29, 11:25 PM
Could be anything. Not enough information. You've given us backstory, but we don't know anything about anything he's done or what his personality is like.

...so does one still retain their personality even though they've gone through a case of amnesia?

WarKitty
2010-10-29, 11:27 PM
...so does one still retain their personality even though they've gone through a case of amnesia?

Could go either way; you're the DM. I was merely presuming that he does have a personality of some sort?

Callista
2010-10-29, 11:35 PM
Just default to the usual Mind Flayer alignment and let him develop his own personality. Change it if necessary.

TechnOkami
2010-10-29, 11:38 PM
Could go either way; you're the DM. I was merely presuming that he does have a personality of some sort?

Nonononono, I'm not the DM, I'm just the player. The DM's the one whose secretly writing my back story though...

WarKitty
2010-10-29, 11:39 PM
Nonononono, I'm not the DM, I'm just the player. The DM's the one whose secretly writing my back story though...

Doesn't really matter. Pick the personality you feel this character would have; it can have changed as a result of the amnesia if you like. But humanoids can be of any alignment.

TechnOkami
2010-10-29, 11:58 PM
K, I think I just solved my own dilema.

At first he was like any other Mindflayer: Lawful Evil. But once he had all his memories taken away, as well as the very social factors which made him evil (but not persay the ones that keep him lawful, aka the fact that his entire body is just a massive walking brain + tentacles). So thus he should become lawful neutral, because he still has physiological alignment tendencies which make him lawful, but he has no purpose now because it's lost to him, thus he should be neutral and follow the party because it seems like a good way to become familiar with the new world he's just woken up to as well as a more interesting way to gaining his memories back, if even possible.

...comments?

WarKitty
2010-10-30, 12:37 AM
Sounds reasonable to me. He's what I call "naive neutral" - neutral because he hasn't made up his mind yet. At the same time he's going to be constantly battling his Iilithid brain-eating nature, which might push him slowly back towards evil.

TechnOkami
2010-10-30, 12:41 AM
Sounds reasonable to me. He's what I call "naive neutral" - neutral because he hasn't made up his mind yet. At the same time he's going to be constantly battling his Iilithid brain-eating nature, which might push him slowly back towards evil.

thankfully my GM has allowed me to use a ring of sustenance