PDA

View Full Version : Original System Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Dust
2010-10-30, 01:06 AM
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5394/logoopxz.png

Mediafire Download (http://www.mediafire.com/?yibrve1l1x65e3i)

Problems/Eratta:
Drop me a line if you have any insights regarding these things in particular!

Paladins are a little too good currently. This is known and will be fixed.
Black Mage innate ability isn't fun right now. I hated taking away their extra damage, but giving nothing in return was lame. Open to suggestions.
Gambler risk vs reward payouts on Slots. The odds of winning right now are about 42%. In actual practice do you feel like the ability is worth using regularly?
Errata: Flawless Spell should read 'Each time Flawless Spell is taken it grants one additional use of the same spell – but still only a maximum of only once per round.' Currently the sentence ends abruptly.
Errata: Samurai's Break Arts now require a standard action and an opposed force/finesse roll, not an attack vs AVD.
Errata: Multi-hit spells - such as Comet and Trine - are game-breakingly overpowered in conjunction with certain job abilities.
Errata: The Confuse status effect is less brutal now - A result of 1 causes the user to act non-sensically, a result of 2-3 means they temporarily fight for the other side, and on a 4-6 the afflicted character/creature may act normally.

This is a completely standalone system at over 250 pages, with a power level much closer to Exalted than Dungeons and Dragons.

In my time working with the Final Fantasy-verse, I've developed a theory that I'd like to share with you.
It takes a special kind of love to tackle a project of this magnitude and still finish it without absolutely loathing the source material. I've received 'helpful' emails explaining (in rather graphic detail) the reproductive cycle of the Seeq (http://a10.idata.over-blog.com/1/86/41/04/XII/00044-Seeq-02.jpg). I've been told the system is garbage because I didn't include a segment on how buster swords are the bestest weapons ever. I've spent sleepless nights poring over hundreds of wikipedia articles and sat beside a flickering Nintendo DS screen taking notes on fauna.

And yet, after all that, I still find going, "HELL yes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1XtIJGAdds)," when Snow in FFXIII - quite conceivably one of the worst games ever made - takes out guards on his elemental...motorbike summon. I still crack a smile at "You spoony bard!" And I don't even bat an eye when I need to grind underwater foosball for fifty hours to get a character's ultimate weapon.

The FFd6 started as a project because I was dissatisfied with the other options out there. It saw completion because it was a labor of love. I hope someone out there gets some use out of it.

Temotei
2010-10-30, 01:15 AM
"You spoony bard!"

I'm playing that game right now. :smallamused:

Also, yay. You finished. :smallcool:

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-30, 03:52 AM

I've recieved 'helpful' emails explaining (in rather graphic detail) the reproductive cycle of the Seeq (http://a10.idata.over-blog.com/1/86/41/04/XII/00044-Seeq-02.jpg). I've been told the system is garbage because I didn't include a segment on how buster swords are the bestest weapons ever.

What a weird thing to be obssessed with, people are odd (not that I'm not, but that seems especially unusual).

Thanks very much, this is the perfect gamer conversion tool (I have many friend who like FF but find D&D stupid, this is my trick to get them dice rolling :smalltongue:)

Thanks again, I'll snag it once I get to a proper computer.

UserShadow7989
2010-10-30, 02:43 PM
I'm reading through the pdf file, and I must say I'm rather impressed. The crunch seems more balanced, I love the new freelancer class, the skills have been condensed for ease of use, you got rid of the clunky weapon/armor skill level system and the similarly clunky stats cap system.

You also did well with the fluff. One of the major complaints, from reviews and to a lesser extent here, was the setting. In the last version, it was just a random smattering of pieces from different Final Fantasy games. Now, each game is given its own brief but enlightening section. Each works as a setting, and more aspirational DMs can mix and match as they please.

I like the new ways to spend destiny. Enhancing a Roll is simple and fits what destiny points are set to accomplish. You're the heroes, the main characters, you should be good at doing awesome things. Moment of Glory brings a smile to my face. I imagine that before its conception, having only 6 destiny when you needed to cheat death was immensely frustrating. Now, at least, you can go out with a bang.

The new Complications system is my favorite implementation of the critical failure rule ever. Rather then directly screwing the player over, the situation gets worse but still doable. It does so in a way that adds tension and opens new possibilities in accomplishing/overcoming the obstacles to your goals.

On the subject of goals, I'm glad to see some rules on it. A primary goal and 3 short-term goals add depth to characters in a way even traits couldn't, and ties fluff with mechanical benefits even better. At the same time, they're far more versatile then choosing from a handful of traits. I wouldn't mind seeing traits as an optional system, mind you, but the goals, the Enhance a Roll destiny use, and some new job abilities seem to cover everything they were supposed to well enough, so I can see why they were removed.

I support the removal of the Affiliation system, and the class/affiliation limits imposed on races like Elvaan and Moogles. While flavorful, they served no real purpose and limited creativity. If you can come up with a half-way reasonable explanation for a character, you should be allowed to use it.

All in all, it's very flexible and streamlined. The rules are simple to learn, the character creation process in quick and easy, and the fluff is presented in a way you can pick and choose what you want to use and build upon. Combat is simple, creating weapons and limit breaks is simple, and all without being restrictive or vague. This system really works for Final Fantasy, and could probably be adapted for anything if one was so inclined.

...I don't suppose anyone wants so start up a game with this system? :smallbiggrin:

Zeta Kai
2010-10-30, 04:22 PM
Congratulations, Dust. I'm very glad that you finally finished this. I look forward to reading it.

Creed
2010-10-30, 09:53 PM
This. Is. SOOO EPICLY EPIC!:smallbiggrin:

UserShadow7989
2010-10-31, 12:04 AM
Oh. I just noticed the Duane and BrandO reference at the end of the last monster entry. Excellent humor and taste, Dust.

EDIT: Looking over the Limit Break section, I have a question about the Transformation quality. Beyond flavor, what are the benefits? I notice the Bestiary section contains advice for creating new monsters and has suggested abilities for each type for the purpose of new monsters; does Transformation grant those abilities?

If so, are there any benefits to picking a type with no particular benefits or even types that only have a weakness for a selected ability?

Dust
2010-10-31, 12:59 AM
I appreciate all the positive comments, folks. :smallbiggrin:

...Transformation quality. Beyond flavor, what are the benefits? I notice the Bestiary section contains advice for creating new monsters and has suggested abilities for each type for the purpose of new monsters; does Transformation grant those abilities?

If so, are there any benefits to picking a type with no particular benefits or even types that only have a weakness for a selected ability?
There's virtually no readily-foreseeable benefits to becoming a different 'type' of species with a limit break other than canonical and fluff reasons. It was, however, requested pretty constantly.

However, when used to transform an enemy instead of a character, it can be used in builds where characters have bonuses against certain species. For example, imagine a Dragoon with the 'Ancient Circle' ability, which grants the entire party bonuses to dragon-type enemies, feeling frustrated that he hasn't been FIGHTING any dragons at his low level. The limit break quality of changing a monster's type - for only one point, no less - fixes that.

UserShadow7989
2010-10-31, 01:35 AM
I appreciate all the positive comments, folks. :smallbiggrin:

There's virtually no readily-foreseeable benefits to becoming a different 'type' of species with a limit break other than canonical and fluff reasons. It was, however, requested pretty constantly.

However, when used to transform an enemy instead of a character, it can be used in builds where characters have bonuses against certain species. For example, imagine a Dragoon with the 'Ancient Circle' ability, which grants the entire party bonuses to dragon-type enemies, feeling frustrated that he hasn't been FIGHTING any dragons at his low level. The limit break quality of changing a monster's type - for only one point, no less - fixes that.

Ah, I hadn't considered the possibility of applying it to an enemy. That's pretty cool, actually.

Don't get me wrong, I love that it's an option. As a fluff ability, it's utterly fantastic. Just wanted to check if there was more to it then that (which there is, apply it to an enemy to use take advantage of 'Ancient Circle' and the like).

Edit: I've been hunting for any mistakes in the document so I could point them out, but so far I've only seen a pair of grammar/spelling errors. Both under the Black Mage job, the first is a missing word in the last line of the introduction to the class ("These traits often fade once the character [is] more experienced in his craft,") and a missing "l" in manafront (In addition, they have access to all Black Magic spells their Tier or lower, even if they did not choose to ‘learn’ these spells previously.)

The fact that I could find nothing more then these two minor errors speaks highly of the document's quality. Both were stumbled upon by mere chance and aren't noticeable unless you actively search for them.

Crosswinds
2010-10-31, 01:44 PM
Dust, let me just say that I absolutely love you for finishing the system.

Let's see if this can convert some of my FF-Crazed friends, shall we?

DualShadow
2010-10-31, 02:30 PM
On the page 119 there is a chart explaining benefits upon leveling up, in that chart I see "New Trait" at lv 10 and 20. I have runned a search in the book seaching for traits but unfortunatly nothing really clear came up. There is a mention of a trait helping in dealing with "Improbable Weapons and Unarmed Combat" on page 113 but yet again nothing really clear. Any explannation?

littlebottom
2010-10-31, 02:34 PM
i recently started looking at converting a system called anima a D100 system into a FF based system. but this... wow:smalleek:

Greensleeve
2010-10-31, 03:46 PM
Absolutely wonderfully done! Very impressive indeed.

Reading through the pdf I have an urge to see it in action, so I will most likely start up a play-by-post game on this forum. I'll post the link here when the thread's up if anyone would be interested.

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-31, 03:49 PM

Reading through the pdf I have an urge to see it in action, so I will most likely start up a play-by-post game on this forum. I'll post the link here when the thread's up if anyone would be interested.

I definitely would be.

UserShadow7989
2010-10-31, 03:50 PM
On the page 119 there is a chart explaining benefits upon leveling up, in that chart I see "New Trait" at lv 10 and 20. I have runned a search in the book seaching for traits but unfortunatly nothing really clear came up. There is a mention of a trait helping in dealing with "Improbable Weapons and Unarmed Combat" on page 113 but yet again nothing really clear. Any explannation?

Traits were part of character creation in the previous (beta?) version of FFd6 that have been removed in the finished version. Basically, you would have picked 2 traits at character creation relating to the character's personality/back story, and could spend 1 point of destiny to gain a specific benefit depending on the trait.

For example, a character could get a trait that grants an extra d6 to a lore check for 1 point of destiny. They were removed, most likely since the Enhance a Roll destiny use covers most of what they did and what little it didn't was turned into job abilities or racial bonuses and the like. I liked them, but their removal makes the rules easier to comprehend and they've been replaced anyways so it's no real loss.

EDIT:

I would love to. I was one of the participants of a game using the earlier rule set that occurred at the beginning of the year, which sadly died out. If you do start one, I'll join in without question.

Greensleeve
2010-10-31, 03:55 PM
Great. I'll get a thread up then! :smallsmile:

CN the Logos
2010-10-31, 03:57 PM
Question:

With skills, is the roll 2d6 + attribute rating + skill rank, or is it 2d6 + skill rank, and attribute rating merely serves to show your maximum ranking in the skill?

It seems like it would be be former, but that's never really made clear.

Overall though, good work. I have a campaign idea for this that I might want to try once I finish this semester, and making me feel like putting in the effort to learn a new system is an impressive feat. :smallamused:

Dust
2010-10-31, 04:06 PM
UserShadow's explanation was completely correct; I'll make sure I edit those out of the book asap. I was certain I had removed all trace of the Traits. :smallfurious: Argh. Go figure.

Question:

With skills, is the roll 2d6 + attribute rating + skill rank, or is it 2d6 + skill rank, and attribute rating merely serves to show your maximum ranking in the skill?
The latter explanation is correct. Skill checks are simply 2d6 plus the appropriate skill. At times, as in the case of breaking things or two people sprinting towards an object, using attribute ratings is more appropriate, but this is rare.

Greensleeve
2010-10-31, 04:18 PM
For those of you who wish to try the system, there is now a recruitment thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9670659#post9670659) posted on these forums!

Tacit
2010-10-31, 07:14 PM
My only complaint - as you of course know - is that the job summaries still aren't clear enough that people know what they're getting into. For example, Time Mage sounds and LOOKS cool, but they're basically glorified status-effect 'mezzers' to use an MMO term. This is made worse by the fact that 99% of their damaging spells deal nonelemental, and thus can't be increased in the usual ways. You can't even play a 'blaster' time mage if you really want to. Likewise, nowhere does it imply that Geomancers can become the burliest 'tanks' in the game with a little bit of effort.

It's frustrating to have to read EVERY job and EVERY ability to have a good idea of each job's capabilities.

Chappu
2010-10-31, 07:44 PM
Oh my!

Was wondering how this system was coming, and I am impressed! Sabetha would of loved to have Sagacity!

The summon system is a nice touch. I like how it works! Congrats on finishing it!

TheBoyce
2010-10-31, 11:23 PM
I find this to be rather impressive but looking over it I found a question :-P

So the Counterattack property under the equipment section doesn't have a limit on the number of times it may be used listed. The Counterattack job ability for the Monk talks about increasing the number of times you can use that property per game session. So what is the starting limit for counterattack?

Temotei
2010-11-01, 02:02 AM
How long does the Status Effect limit break effect last?

Dust
2010-11-01, 03:23 AM
The Counterattack job ability for the Monk talks about increasing the number of times you can use that property per game session. So what is the starting limit for counterattack?
One. I thought I had mentioned that; my error.

As for status effects, the standard is the same four rounds that all status effects last, shorter if you REALLY decide GM fiat is in order.

Temotei
2010-11-01, 04:56 AM
One. I thought I had mentioned that; my error.

As for status effects, the standard is the same four rounds that all status effects last, shorter if you REALLY decide GM fiat is in order.

Ah, okay. Under the sleep description, it said "whatever the ability says" or something like that, so I was wondering what would happen under those circumstances.

Good, good.

Mecharious
2010-11-01, 01:24 PM
I really, really like what you did with this system. I only really have two complaints.

The first is that starting MP seems really, really low. Even with maxed out intelligence, a white mage will only be able to cast a single cure before running out of MP at level 1. I suppose this is somewhat remedied by the fact that ethers are relatively cheap.

The second is that the strength stat is just about useless for a lot of jobs. It isn't tied to any skills, most jobs have a dex option for accuracy, and weapon damage for concealed and ranged weapons is based off of dexterity. Mages will probably even find that strength is not worth taking because the 50% spirit or int damage will be greater since they'll be putting more points in those attributes than strength.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-01, 01:47 PM
I really, really like what you did with this system. I only really have two complaints.

The first is that starting MP seems really, really low. Even with maxed out intelligence, a white mage will only be able to cast a single cure before running out of MP at level 1. I suppose this is somewhat remedied by the fact that ethers are relatively cheap.

I've noticed this too, seems very restrictive considering the statement that you were aiming for somewhere closer to Exalted than D&D.

- How come you changed the Summoning system?
- Can you multiclass in this system?

Dust
2010-11-01, 03:54 PM
@Mecharious
The issue comes from when all casting jobs did start with an additional +10 mp and this is no longer the case. After three playtests fiddling with mp costs, we honestly just couldn't get it right for the first 'rank' of spells - either paladins and dark knights didn't have the capacity to cast spells period, or mp wasn't an issue at first level and you could all but forget about it at 5th level (when you're still using rank 1 spells), or black mages could just use the same spell over and over for the full duration of the fight, every fight, which was boring.
We finally settled on this, where there's no possible way casters can focus on spells every single round of combat until level 4-5, and even then you have to keep ethers on-hand until 10ish. I can't say I'm completely happy with it, but we really weren't able to find the magic numbers that worked for everyone. On one hand, it absolutely sucks; on the other, if you NEED to be casting multiple cure spells per session at level one to survive, your GM is doing something wrong.

As for strength, I offer nothing for you there. The system is highly multiple-ability-dependent as it is; we figured that the dump stat in this system, depending on your job, would probably end up being strength (http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-01/art/ff10-2-rikku.jpg) or int (http://static.stuff.co.nz/1269433692/482/3502482.jpg). Mostly for the sake of canon reason when we first conceptualized that part of the design, I think; if heroes were going to be worse than normal people somewhere, it was going to be either their brawn (http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-01/art/ff9-vivi.jpg) or their mental faculties (http://media.animegalleries.net/albums/userpics/41687/9-quina-c.jpg?=123).

@Kobold
The summoning system was changed because summons they're too FF to not have the opportunity to make an appearance in most games, and it's canonical that even non-casters should be able to get access to them.
I think it's great that they're essentially plot-driving, party-controlled weapons, or passive guardians of a single individual, and I was able to kick the power level up to where it should be now that they run on Destiny and not MP.

One of the jobs is called 'Freelancer,' and lets you switch between jobs as you like and pick up abilities from wherever you want. But because most of the basic Freelancer abilities are downright terrible and you never get access to an Epic Ability, picking this job guarantees you'll be starting out weak and won't start to shine until later on. But all the really crazy builds, like the 45 evasion ninja, all require you to start out as a freelancer.

Unrest
2010-11-01, 05:04 PM
"As Doomtrain carries the departed to the other side, it has been signaled to stop for a moment to pick up a few more..."

Ooohoohooo.... ooohoohoohoooo.... OOOHOOOHOOHOOO... Bad-ass line.

Sad Kjata didn't make it :smallfrown: Oh, but actually there's Tritoch. Nvm!

Overall, beautiful work. Even prettier for all the effort it took.

Edit: Ha! Got one. Doomtrain has "Unusual Defense (Takes 200% damage from all magical sources and half from all magical)". I mean, it certainly is unusual... :smallwink: And I don't get why the damage is based on Dexterity :smallconfused:

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-01, 05:29 PM

@Kobold
The summoning system was changed because summons they're too FF to not have the opportunity to make an appearance in most games, and it's canonical that even non-casters should be able to get access to them.
I think it's great that they're essentially plot-driving, party-controlled weapons, or passive guardians of a single individual, and I was able to kick the power level up to where it should be now that they run on Destiny and not MP.

One of the jobs is called 'Freelancer,' and lets you switch between jobs as you like and pick up abilities from wherever you want. But because most of the basic Freelancer abilities are downright terrible and you never get access to an Epic Ability, picking this job guarantees you'll be starting out weak and won't start to shine until later on. But all the really crazy builds, like the 45 evasion ninja, all require you to start out as a freelancer.

Fair enough x2. I liked the idea of being a Summoner, but I can live with this method.

Also just saw Kefka's reaction to players. I lol'd :smalltongue:

Dust
2010-11-01, 06:05 PM
Doomtrain has "Unusual Defense (Takes 200% damage from all magical sources and half from all magical)". I mean, it certainly is unusual... :smallwink: And I don't get why the damage is based on Dexterity :smallconfused:
The inherent should be Controlled Defense. Good grab.

UserShadow7989
2010-11-01, 06:51 PM
Fair enough x2. I liked the idea of being a Summoner, but I can live with this method.

Also just saw Kefka's reaction to players. I lol'd :smalltongue:

Parts like these make it so much fun to read the pdf. I'm not sure if it's still there in this version, but I love the explanation for skill difficulty noting 'Impossible' (30 or better required) as similar in difficulty to "Trying to collapse a 60-story office building by 'putting your back into it'."

Greensleeve
2010-11-01, 06:58 PM
Parts like these make it so much fun to read the pdf. I'm not sure if it's still there in this version, but I love the explanation for skill difficulty noting 'Impossible' (30 or better required) as similar in difficulty to "Trying to collapse a 60-story office building by 'putting your back into it'."

It's still in the pdf. Awesome line. :smallbiggrin:

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-01, 07:12 PM
...You know, I can't help it: I'm going to criticise your writing style.

Saying "Many other RPGs do x" sounds too much like you're comparing yourself to other RPGs. You really don't need to do that. It makes you sound like you're trying too hard to stand out.

Dust
2010-11-01, 07:38 PM
Point noted.

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-01, 08:02 PM
There are also a couple of errors - the one that stands out to me is the fact that in the MP Stroll ability description, it says that the White Mage gains 25% of her MP back at the end of every combat encounter - but the description of a staff later in the book (I want to say Nirvana) says it increases the amount of MP regenerated per hour to 50%.

Other than that, I honestly think the system is pretty solid.

Dust
2010-11-02, 06:16 PM
Book's been updated with the various changes already discussed in this thread, at the risk of causing confusion. This'll be the last incarnation of it for quite some time.

Again, thanks for everyone's interest and feedback. Finally I can sleep easy knowing this gigantic project is at last finished.

TheBoyce
2010-11-02, 06:33 PM
For the 5 point version of Specialized Target can humanoid be the Target Type?

Dust
2010-11-02, 06:43 PM
No. Humanoid was excluded from the available target types, as you can see, to prevent people from making limit breaks that exclusively buff/heal themselves or allies with an additional 5 points available to them.

TheBoyce
2010-11-02, 06:52 PM
Ah, I was thinking more of an attack that could only target humanoids.

Edit: Break Arts cost 4 points in the Bold, but there isa listed cost of 5 in the description, unless that would grant the ability to choose what type of Break each time.

UserShadow7989
2010-11-02, 07:46 PM
It's still in the pdf. Awesome line. :smallbiggrin:

Sweet. Just found another good one. There's an 8-bit theater reference under the Red Mage's Natural Aptitude ability.

EDIT:
Ah, I was thinking more of an attack that could only target humanoids.

Edit: Break Arts cost 4 points in the Bold, but there isa listed cost of 5 in the description, unless that would grant the ability to choose what type of Break each time.

5 points lets you choose any Break Arts you want to use when you activate the Limit Break. 4 points has you pick one at the creation of the Limit Break and use that each time.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-03, 02:49 AM
Does the Attack (Magic) Limit Break base it's damage off the weapon you're wielding, or do you pick a spell to base it off? Or is it just (Int or Spr x1) as the base damage?

Or something else entirely?

Also: Random Target says in the bolded part it's a 3 point refund if it's completely random, but says it's a 5 point refund in the text. Which is right?

Unrest
2010-11-03, 05:10 AM
Hey Mr. Designer Man! Don't you wanna have a go at your own creation in the PbP? It might look as though we might need another GM... :smallbiggrin:

Dust
2010-11-03, 10:30 AM
Does the Attack (Magic) Limit Break base it's damage off the weapon you're wielding, or do you pick a spell to base it off? Or is it just (Int or Spr x1) as the base damage?
I really dropped the ball on the limit break chapter, eh?

Attack (Magic) runs off your current weapon tier, kicks it up a few notches of damage, and lets you calculate it using INT or SPR without the pesky 'half effect' thing that Arcane Weapons cause.

Also: Random Target says in the bolded part it's a 3 point refund if it's completely random, but says it's a 5 point refund in the text. Which is right?
It is a three point refund. There might be a few instances where the bolded number is different than one found in the text; the larger, bolded titular number is always correct. Last-minute changes I didn't proofread as well as I should have.

Hey Mr. Designer Man! Don't you wanna have a go at your own creation in the PbP? It might look as though we might need another GM... :smallbiggrin:
While I'm flattered the interest is so large, one of the best parts about being DONE a two-year project is that I can take a week or two without thinking about it. :smallbiggrin:

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-03, 10:34 AM
I really dropped the ball on the limit break chapter, eh?

Attack (Magic) runs off your current weapon tier, kicks it up a few notches of damage, and lets you calculate it using INT or SPR without the pesky 'half effect' thing that Arcane Weapons cause.

Cool, thanks.

It is a three point refund. There might be a few instances where the bolded number is different than one found in the text; the larger, bolded titular number is always correct. Last-minute changes I didn't proofread as well as I should have.[/QUOTE]

Noted.

steelsmiter
2010-11-03, 01:16 PM
I like it but I noticed that in animal companion it says that ones with a certain ability can assist in a teamwork attack, but doesn't give damage statistics. I would have used the dragoon's old wyvern stats but they were taken out is there any chance of seeing those retrofitted back into the Animal Companion section?

Brontes
2010-11-03, 04:14 PM
The White Magic Job Ability (Paladin and White Mage) has a target of Self as opposed to Varies like the other Mages. Intentional?

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-03, 04:16 PM
The White Magic Job Ability (Paladin and White Mage) has a target of Self as opposed to Varies like the other Mages. Intentional?

Probably not, that would seriously hinder their use as healers.

Brontes
2010-11-03, 04:26 PM
I didn't edit this in fast enough, so here's another thing I notice.

All of the X Magic Job Abilities are Standard Actions, but some Magic is mentioned as being performed as a Slow action (Fire Spell is listed as an example of a Slow Action you could perform). I can't seem to find rules/conditions for doing that.

Can you interrupt Standard Actions?

Dust
2010-11-03, 04:31 PM
I like it but I noticed that in animal companion it says that ones with a certain ability can assist in a teamwork attack, but doesn't give damage statistics. I would have used the dragoon's old wyvern stats but they were taken out is there any chance of seeing those retrofitted back into the Animal Companion section?
There is no chance whatsoever. The LAST place you'll find damage is in an Animal Companion for your character, and the 'Wyvern companion' innate ability was phased out in order to turn the Dragoon into more of a constantly-critting battlefield controller. It's a fairly large thematic shift for the Job; while you could certainly still build a dragon companion, the bucketloads of damage that used to go hand in hand with their innate ability no longer exists.

No. o.0

Can you interrupt Standard Actions?
Short Answer: Generally, no.
Long Answer: Some abilities are listed as being able to be used at 'any time, even when it is not your turn' - you can use such abilities to jump in on an enemy's turn, and I guess if you KO'd a monster before he got to attack you, that would certainly count as an interruption of sorts.
But for the purposes of cancelling spells, only Slow actions can be 'shut down' by a Knockback effect or whatever. This is why the Haste status is so bizarre; one one hand, it gives purely melee jobs twice as many actions, and it gives casters....well, it turns Slow actions into Standard actions. At first glance it seems unfair, until you realize that the ability to interrupt Slow actions is one of the GM's last defenses against the most powerful abilities heroes can bring to the table.
I'm not sure I actually answered your question there. I hope so.

Temotei
2010-11-03, 04:40 PM
So, would you mind if I came up with some limit break abilities/drawbacks? I have at least one idea right now...feel free to critique and such.

Steal (2 Points) - Maybe 3?
The limit break allows the user to steal from the target without making a Thievery check or a Steal check (in the case of a Thief). This ability cannot be combined with Backfire.

For Backfire, you could add a part where healing and such can be combined with it, but it has a 25% chance to affect a random enemy.

Brontes
2010-11-03, 04:51 PM
This is only an observation: Entertainer MP is only really useful for one Art and the Copycat ability (Also, assuming assuming (Int + Class MP) > 10, you can use it for Materia if you play FF7 setting).

About Standard/Slow Actions:

My problem is that all Magic Job Abilities are listed as being Standard Actions and as such, can't be interrupted. At the moment, I don't know of any individual spells that are Slow casting or any Job Abilities that make them Slow in return for some bonus or other mitigating circumstances (I'm kind of reading the PDF in a scatterbrained fashion, sorry).

Also, the Slow Action heading in the Combat section mentions being able to cast Fire as a Slow Action.

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-03, 04:53 PM
Aren't all spells Slow actions, by default?

Brontes
2010-11-03, 04:57 PM
I know they are Slow Actions based on the number of instances mentioning that they can be interrupted. I haven't found anything explicitly labeling them as Slow Actions.

Again, kind of scatterbrained right now. If you know where (outside of the Fire example in Slow Actions) it says that I'd appreciate it.

Dust
2010-11-03, 05:22 PM
You're right. Not explicitly stating magic is a Slow action by default is...a pretty big oversight on my part. Argh. :smalleek: In fact, looking at it now, a lot of the 'magic' innate abilities have wonky listings, like the paladin as 'Instant, Self' - I don't know what's up with that.

This is only an observation: Entertainer MP is only really useful for one Art and the Copycat ability.
Correct, and deliberate.

UserShadow7989
2010-11-03, 05:41 PM
One thing about the entertainer I noticed- the Weapon of Choice ability increases the job bonus to HP from +4*level to +8*level. This means the job provides 1 more HP per level then the Fighter job, and 2 more then the Dark Knight and Paladin jobs.

Since entertainers generally are too focused on SPR (with DEX and INT as secondaries), they probably won't be able to pump up VIT enough to outdo a Fighter and remain useful ability-wise, but I was wondering if the possibility of them having more HP then the dedicated Melee classes was intentional.

It DOES make sense, that someone that physically active (assuming dancing or the like is their focus) would be extremely fit, so I don't find it a problem. In fact, I find it a rather nice touch/option. I have an idea what my next character in this system will be...

Brontes
2010-11-03, 05:45 PM
The Break effects in Limit Break are listed as 4 points but the description says 5.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-03, 05:47 PM
The Break effects in Limit Break are listed as 4 points but the description says 5.

For 4 points you pick it when you make the Limit Break. For 5 you get to pick which one each time you use it I think.

Either that or it's a mistake that I've misread, which makes it a 4 pointer.

Brontes
2010-11-03, 07:44 PM
Just thought this:

One of the listed potential items under Arcane weapons is the Magic Cannon. Would you be allowed to give it the Ranged Weapon's Distance Property (I think that's right) as a Special Ability Property?

UserShadow7989
2010-11-03, 08:15 PM
I have a question about monster creation. It's pretty thorough, but it's missing the bit describing how to calculate ARM/M.ARM. The pattern I saw was roughly Level * 4, divvied up between the two as the maker chooses.

Also, for weapon creation, is it possible to use a different synthesis skill if it fits better (like this entertainer I'm thinking up, who hides smog machines/flash bangs in her bracelets/anklets for both fighting and performing, which seems more fitting for tinkering then the norm)? Maybe at a penalty?

Edit: Sorry to keep bothering you, but the book states that all classes can use Light Armor. Despite that, several classes don't list Light Armor as an available choice, while others do. Is this an error?

Unrest
2010-11-04, 12:00 PM
Edit: Sorry to keep bothering you, but the book states that all classes can use Light Armor. Despite that, several classes don't list Light Armor as an available choice, while others do. Is this an error?

I believe it was so in many FF games that warriors, and thus by-default heavy armor-users, simply could not equip robes or clothes. Then again, memory may be failing me.

Brontes
2010-11-04, 03:38 PM
One of the people from the FFXII game we're setting up is thinking of doing a game taking place in FFVII. I'm prepping a character for that game, and I want to start him with a simple Materia. The FFVII section talks about Materia and how it works, but doesn't give you a pricing guide for them.

Dust
2010-11-04, 04:23 PM
I have a question about monster creation. It's pretty thorough, but it's missing the bit describing how to calculate ARM/M.ARM. The pattern I saw was roughly Level * 4, divvied up between the two as the maker chooses.
You're close, but it's a larger point-buy system than that. I was originally going to include the methodology in the book, but at the last minute said 'no, this is too needlessly complicated to include' and cut it out. I, for one, was sick of using the similarly-convoluted monster-creation guide in The Returner's FFRPG, and this system has thus been designed so homebrewers can just 'wing it' with whatever feels appropriate, and the PCs should be able to rise to most challenges.

....Is it possible to use a different synthesis skill if it fits better (like this entertainer I'm thinking up, who hides smog machines/flash bangs in her bracelets/anklets for both fighting and performing, which seems more fitting for tinkering then the norm)? Maybe at a penalty?
I wouldn't even impose the penalty. Tinkering makes sense to me.
Then again, it's certainly not a stretch to imagine a GM who would rule that 'triggered' flash-bangs aren't that different from bullets, which would probably fall under the category of weapons. Judgment call here.

....the book states that all classes can use Light Armor. Despite that, several classes don't list Light Armor as an available choice, while others do. Is this an error?
The former is an error - which page does it appear on?
We decided Dark Knights walking around in robes and such was thematically inappropriate. Likewise, monks don't inherently have the ability to use even light armor.

The FFVII section talks about Materia and how it works, but doesn't give you a pricing guide for them.
No hard and fast rules for this, either. Were I running a FFVII game, I'd suggest 200-250g for a Rank 1 materia would be about right, maybe up to 500g for Blue Magic. I'd probably also add that everything higher than Rank 1 spells would have to be found, not purchased, and remind myself that spells usually become all but obsolete at the same time a character learns them for good anyway, at least in this fashion.

steelsmiter
2010-11-04, 04:44 PM
There is no chance whatsoever. The LAST place you'll find damage is in an Animal Companion for your character, and the 'Wyvern companion' innate ability was phased out in order to turn the Dragoon into more of a constantly-critting battlefield controller. It's a fairly large thematic shift for the Job; while you could certainly still build a dragon companion, the bucketloads of damage that used to go hand in hand with their innate ability no longer exists.

so I'm missunderstanding the point of having the animal companion do teamwork attacks, care to fill me in?

Dust
2010-11-04, 05:11 PM
Teamwork attacks interrupt Slow actions and also ignore any enemy properties such as Counterattack of Unusual Defense, allowing you to shut down enemies without becoming endangered yourself. It certainly isn't a HUGE bonus, but again, Animal Companions are designed for noncombat situations.

UserShadow7989
2010-11-04, 06:36 PM
You're close, but it's a larger point-buy system than that. I was originally going to include the methodology in the book, but at the last minute said 'no, this is too needlessly complicated to include' and cut it out. I, for one, was sick of using the similarly-convoluted monster-creation guide in The Returner's FFRPG, and this system has thus been designed so homebrewers can just 'wing it' with whatever feels appropriate, and the PCs should be able to rise to most challenges.

Ah, I can see why. Personally, I'm glad you choose that route. Maybe note that there's no set formula for homebrew monsters under the section to avoid confusion, and maybe suggest an average amount (like the aforementioned 4*level) to use?

I wouldn't even impose the penalty. Tinkering makes sense to me.
Then again, it's certainly not a stretch to imagine a GM who would rule that 'triggered' flash-bangs aren't that different from bullets, which would probably fall under the category of weapons. Judgment call here.

Thanks, I was curious.

The former is an error - which page does it appear on?
We decided Dark Knights walking around in robes and such was thematically inappropriate. Likewise, monks don't inherently have the ability to use even light armor.

Page 95, Armor. Third paragraph, first sentence. If going by the number of 'pages' according to Adobe Acrobat (which includes things like the cover and table of contents), it's 100 on the dot.

Brontes
2010-11-04, 09:26 PM
Just thought this:

One of the listed potential items under Arcane weapons is the Magic Cannon. Would you be allowed to give it the Ranged Weapon's Distance Property (I think that's right) as a Special Ability?

Just bringing this up again in case you missed it.

Also, again the various Status Break effects listed under Limit Breaks have a cost listed as 4, but the description under it says 5. Which is correct?

Dust
2010-11-04, 09:34 PM
The bolded, titular number is always correct. Sorry about the confusion there as well.

Shades of Gray
2010-11-04, 09:52 PM
Oh, just some nitpicks.

In the latest version I have, I downloaded it either yesterday or the day before, the word "shuriken" is misspelled in the Black Market section.

Oh, and "Mithra" should be bolded in the FFXI section.

steelsmiter
2010-11-05, 02:17 PM
Teamwork attacks interrupt Slow actions and also ignore any enemy properties such as Counterattack of Unusual Defense, allowing you to shut down enemies without becoming endangered yourself. It certainly isn't a HUGE bonus, but again, Animal Companions are designed for noncombat situations.

ok so basically the player takes the bigger penalty (if I read correctly) entirely based on the fact that they don't need other people?

Dust
2010-11-05, 03:16 PM
That's one way of looking at it.
You could also say it allows your high-accuracy character or magic-user to ignore monster special effects (granted, by dealing half damage) far more reliably than if you were having to rely on a less-accurate party member.
Sure, avoiding counterattacks for such a large penalty is not that big of a deal, but again, we're discussing the combat applications that were included in a non-combat ability.

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-05, 09:51 PM
...So, there are two spells called "Stona" - the level two version of the Black Magic spell Stone, and the White Magic spell that removes Petrify.

Um. This could get confusing for Red Mages. Not to mention any monsters or Espers with "Stona" listed as a known spell.

Dust
2010-11-05, 10:20 PM
/headdeskfail

Creed
2010-11-06, 08:14 AM
/headdeskfail

Doesn't it make you feel good that all these people are reading everything you wrote, hanging on your every word, though?:smallbiggrin:

IcarusWings
2010-11-06, 10:37 AM
how many destiny points would you, as the designer, expect a player to gain in an average session? (I'm gonna be GM'ing a pbp soon, and I need to know how generous to be).

Shades of Gray
2010-11-06, 11:59 AM
How would you rule the limited flight of a Moogle (or Gria.) Move as if flying but they have to end their turn on land, getting rid of the bonus vs short-range attacks and immunity to stona would be my suggestion.

Dust
2010-11-06, 01:13 PM
Doesn't it make you feel good that all these people are reading everything you wrote, hanging on your every word, though?:smallbiggrin:
:elan:: "Huzzah!"

how many destiny points would you, as the designer, expect a player to gain in an average session? (I'm gonna be GM'ing a pbp soon, and I need to know how generous to be).
We designed the power level of destiny-expending abilities with the assumption you'd get it at a ratio of about 10 EXP : 1 Destiny.
Assuming you're not a Fighter/Freelancer/Blue Mage with alternate ways of gaining Destiny, here's what you can expect from a game with a lot of Destiny; 6 points for accomplishing all of your goals (easier said than done for some characters), maybe 5-6 for bosses from level 1-30 (but I'm sparse with boss encounters, and this can vary drastically), maybe 3-5 for awesome moments throughout the course of the game, and possibly one or two from an Esper if you include them. So over a thirty-level 'full,' high-powered game, you might expect 14-18 points total.

IcarusWings
2010-11-06, 01:24 PM
cheers, that's gonna be useful

Brontes
2010-11-06, 02:01 PM
Here's something I'd like a ruling on.

Would it be possible for a Weapon of one type to gain another Weapon Type's innate property in some manner?

I ask because an example listed as an Arcane weapon was a Magic Cannon. This has no Distance property, but would a higher tier M.Cannon be able to use the Distance Property?

Dust
2010-11-06, 02:12 PM
'Special Ability' covers just about every conceivable weapon property - including pre-existing ones like Distance - if the GM will allow it. I certainly would in this case.

The lack of specifics regarding the standard 'innate' weapon properties, and how they can be 'tacked on' to other weapon types, is because generally, it doesn't work out the way it should. The last thing I want for this system is players trying to min/max and argue that every single ninja should pick up Critical Attack for his blades, or a Ranger being upset that he can't counterattack at a Long Range, and so on.

Creed
2010-11-06, 02:23 PM
Here's my question:

All grafts are assumed to have 1 hit point, and are thus very vulnerable. If a character makes a successful attack against the possessor of a Graft, and knows the body part he is attempting to disable, then the character may choose to deal zero damage and instead render the robotic appendage or graft inoperable. A graft damaged and rendered usable in this way provides no bonuses, but retains any penalties the graft may cause.
The same Graft can generally be taken multiple times, but bonuses from identical Grafts are never cumulative.
So if I took the, say, Heavy Arm graft three times, would the enemy have to disable my arm three times to make it completely disabled?
A completely theoretical question, but worth it I believe.:smallbiggrin:

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-06, 02:29 PM
Hm... I want to get your opinion on something, Dust.

I'm designing a "Summoner" character, and I wanted to give her a Limit Break like Yuna's 'Grand Summon' Limit Break (yes I know about the job ability Grand Summon - I just like the idea of a Limit Break that lets you summon better).

How would you price a Limit Break ability that reduces the cost to summon something by 1 destiny? (Obviously this becomes hilariously useless if you spend destiny to activate the Limit Break...)

Creed
2010-11-07, 12:10 AM
Transformation (1 or 4 Points)
The character or the limit break’s target adopts a completely different form when the Limit Break is used, changing its type from the standard ‘Humanoid’ to any of the following categories; Abnormal, Aerial, Amorph, Arcana, Aquan, Beast, Construct, Dragon, Fiend, Insect, Plant, or Undead. For 1 point, the category must be determined ahead of time. For 4 points, the user determines the transformation type at the time the Limit Break is used, and may select multiple types. This lasts until combat ends.

Specialized Target (1 or 5 Point Refund) One or more types of monster is unaffected by attack. For one point, choose one type of creature from the following list that is Immune to the Limit Break; Abnormal, Aerial, Amorph, Arcana, Aquan, Beast, Construct, Dragon, Fiend, Insect, Plant, or Undead.
For a 5 point refund, ALL types of monsters are Immune to the attack except for one chosen category.
Specialized Target cannot be taken more than once.

Being the optimizer I am, I found this, which can essentially make any Limit Break have 4 more build points.
I.E., couldn't you choose the 5 point Specialized Target for, say, Constructs, and the the 1 point Construct Transformation?

Temotei
2010-11-07, 01:03 AM
Being the optimizer I am, I found this, which can essentially make any Limit Break have 4 more build points.
I.E., couldn't you choose the 5 point Specialized Target for, say, Constructs, and the the 1 point Construct Transformation?

Throw in Self-Only for another point.

UserShadow7989
2010-11-07, 01:09 AM

I don't think so. The target would have to be construct in order to be targeted in the first place, so the transformation would only affect things that are constructs to begin with.

Creed
2010-11-07, 01:10 AM
Throw in Self-Only for another point.

Which can be only used for benificial effects, so it wouldn't really be a free point like those four are...:smallconfused:
The point of my previous post is it allows 4 extra points for absolutely no side effects. In fact, if you have the construct killer property then it's actally a 4 point refund f
See now?
Nevermind, i see now what you're saying.:smallbiggrin:

I don't think so. The target would have to be construct in order to be targeted in the first place, so the transformation would only affect targets that are constructs before the effect kicks in.

Maybe so, but we'll see what Dust has to say on this matter. I agree that this is likely correct, I'm trying to point out the Optimizer's Bread and Butter that litters the pdf whenever I find it.:smallbiggrin:
In other news:
http://www.youtube.com/user/schmoyoho#p/u/1/TvQbkPS8zCA

Temotei
2010-11-07, 01:11 AM
I don't think so. The target would have to be construct in order to be targeted in the first place, so the transformation would only affect targets that are constructs before the effect kicks in.

Being an android would solve that problem and save another point.

UserShadow7989
2010-11-07, 01:15 AM
Being an android would solve that problem and save another point.

There's a valid break. Combine Specialized Target (Construct) and Self-Only on an Android's limit break for a +5 point count. Rather limiting on what you can do (big healing amounts and/or positive status effects are really all that's there), so it's not totally broken, but still doable.

Temotei
2010-11-07, 01:27 AM
There's a valid break. Combine Specialized Target (Construct) and Self-Only on an Android's limit break for a +6 point count. Rather limiting on what you can do (big healing amounts and/or positive status effects are really all that's there), so it's not totally broken, but still doable.

Fixed that for you. Sure, it's not all that broken, but...free points. Imagine:

Healing (HP) (5), Self-Only (-1), Specialized Target (Construct Only) (-5), Status Effect (Auto-Life) (8), Status Effect (Haste) (8), Status Effect (Protect) (6), Status Effect (Shell) (6), 3 extra points

That's just an example. Modify as you see fit...it's not really fair to give that extra bonus without a penalty.

UserShadow7989
2010-11-07, 01:36 AM
Fixed that for you. Sure, it's not all that broken, but...free points. Imagine:

Healing (HP) (5), Self-Only (-1), Short Range (-1), Specialized Target (Construct Only) (-5), Status Effect (Auto-Life) (8), Status Effect (Haste) (8), Status Effect (Protect) (6), Status Effect (Shell) (6), 4 extra points

That's just an example. Modify as you see fit...it's not really fair to give that extra bonus without a penalty.

You can't combine Self Only and Short Range. But yeah, I get the point. It's easily fixed by saying Specialized Target can't be mixed with Self Only or purely beneficial effects.

Temotei
2010-11-07, 01:38 AM
You can't combine Self Only and Short Range. But yeah, I get the point. It's easily fixed by saying Specialized Target can't be mixed with Self Only or purely beneficial effects.

Indeed. :smallsmile:

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-07, 05:32 AM
If I were GMing someone who tried that, I'd let them - and then have something change their creature type, out of spite.

Then a few sessions later tell them to change it.

Hawriel
2010-11-07, 10:00 AM
I dont just want to assume.

WEG D6 rules?

IcarusWings
2010-11-07, 11:48 AM
Only thing I'm unhappy about with this system is that it's actually quite hard to build some of the FFVII limit breaks with the limit break system (omnislash being a prime example)

I'm also confused as to why Knights of the Round is a rank 4 summon, being the most powerful attack in the game in VII

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-07, 11:59 AM
Only thing I'm unhappy about with this system is that it's actually quite hard to build some of the FFVII limit breaks with the limit break system (omnislash being a prime example)

I'm also confused as to why Knights of the Round is a rank 4 summon, being the most powerful attack in the game in VII

+ Stat (Str), Attack (Physical) - Affect all enemies, Attack (Physical) - Single Enemy. The rest (dozen strikes, glowing energy etc.) us just fluff. Add Stylish to taste.

Add extra Knights/damage and it becomes a level 5 summon. Easy.

DualShadow
2010-11-07, 12:12 PM
Started a game friday night, and one player (the power gamer), didnt like the starting with only 500 gil and lousy equipment so he decided to take synthesis Weapons and Armor and have crafted his own equipment right before the start of the game this extending making himself a tier 2 weapon and a tier 2 armor.

Then proceeded to craft a weapon for our local dragoon but failed the synthesis check, tried to see if there was any consequences to that but found none, I know the goal of this system is that the hero never fail to do something but rather having a complication pop up if they roll 1-1.

Is there any suggestion on what to do if he fail the check but not with a 1-1?
Right now I ruled that he only wasted the day off and that a 1-1 result in actually scrapping some material.

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-07, 12:34 PM
Pretty sure you waste the materials if you fail the synthesis check.

Also... why didn't you just hit him upside the head and tell him to quit trying to powergame?

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-07, 01:03 PM
Started a game friday night, and one player (the power gamer), didnt like the starting with only 500 gil and lousy equipment so he decided to take synthesis Weapons and Armor and have crafted his own equipment right before the start of the game this extending making himself a tier 2 weapon and a tier 2 armor.

Then proceeded to craft a weapon for our local dragoon but failed the synthesis check, tried to see if there was any consequences to that but found none, I know the goal of this system is that the hero never fail to do something but rather having a complication pop up if they roll 1-1.

Is there any suggestion on what to do if he fail the check but not with a 1-1?
Right now I ruled that he only wasted the day off and that a 1-1 result in actually scrapping some material.

If you fail a Synthesis check you lose your 50% cost in gil as penalty.

Brontes
2010-11-07, 01:25 PM
Correct me if I've got this wrong, but can you simultaneously help yourself and attack enemies with a Limit Break? I keep reading stuff that gives me that impression (or I think I'm reading stuff that gives me that impression). I've been mostly making "straight" effects.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-07, 01:55 PM
Correct me if I've got this wrong, but can you simultaneously help yourself and attack enemies with a Limit Break? I keep reading stuff that gives me that impression (or I think I'm reading stuff that gives me that impression). I've been mostly making "straight" effects.

Yes, if you can afford a boon to our team and harm your opponents at then same time you are well within you rights to.

Dust
2010-11-07, 03:47 PM
Temotei and Creed, you guys are awesome. :smallamused:

WEG D6 rules?
Negative.

Omnislash is 15 automatic critical hits. At some point in time I need to say that even canon attacks are sometimes too 'ultimate' for this system.

As for the KoTR, for mechanical purposes, they didn't bring anything truly unique to the table. This is why Yojimbo (the 'ultimate' summon from X) made Rank 5 along with the other classics; Bahamut, Odin and Alexander.
For fluff reasons, you'll see that KoTR only summons three Knights instead of the former thirteen, perhaps accounting for their dimished power.

Then proceeded to craft a weapon for our local dragoon but failed the synthesis check, tried to see if there was any consequences to that but found none.
Both answers you already recieved are correct. For reference, Page 104, right in the Synthesis section, reads:

Failing a Synthesis Check
A failed roll indicates that the final result is unstable, unworkable, or simply poor quality. The item is no better than scrap metal, fuming liquids or spare parts. In game terms, this means that although the character(s) spent 50% of the original item’s cost to attempt to create it, they’re ultimately left with nothing – the money and item are both lost.

If this wasn't the case, there'd be nothing from stopping your power gamer - and indeed, EVERY player who valued optimization - from then saying 'Well, in my backstory, before the adventure begins, then, I make myself better armor and weapons despite my lack of skill. I just need to roll a 12 eventually; so it might take a few months (at one day per failure) but it's doable!'

Powergaming before the game even starts is generally a bad sign. I bet he's playing a Ninja. :smallbiggrin:

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-07, 04:23 PM
So, uh, Dust...

Hm... I want to get your opinion on something, Dust.

I'm designing a "Summoner" character, and I wanted to give her a Limit Break like Yuna's 'Grand Summon' Limit Break (yes I know about the job ability Grand Summon - I just like the idea of a Limit Break that lets you summon better).

How would you price a Limit Break ability that reduces the cost to summon something by 1 destiny? (Obviously this becomes hilariously useless if you spend destiny to activate the Limit Break...)

<.< >.>

Creed
2010-11-07, 07:05 PM

Here's my question:

So if I took the, say, Heavy Arm graft three times, would the enemy have to disable my arm three times to make it completely disabled?
A completely theoretical question, but worth it I believe.:smallbiggrin:

Answers, Dust? Yes? No? Bueler? Bueler?!

Greensleeve
2010-11-07, 07:16 PM
A question regarding the Stoneskin Geomancer ability. It states that:

"For every 10 hit points the Geomancer possesses (rounded down), she gains an additional permanent 1 ARM or 1 M.ARM, chosen upon taking this ability."

Does that mean that he gains a bonus to ARM/M.ARM based on his max HP when taking the ability, or does the bonus grow as the character's max HP grows?

Dust
2010-11-07, 07:54 PM
A question regarding the Stoneskin Geomancer ability. It states that:

"For every 10 hit points the Geomancer possesses (rounded down), she gains an additional permanent 1 ARM or 1 M.ARM, chosen upon taking this ability."

Does that mean that he gains a bonus to ARM/M.ARM based on his max HP when taking the ability, or does the bonus grow as the character's max HP grows?
The bonus grows as the HP increases. I should have been more clear. Like Tacit mentioned way back on page, uh, one of this thread (I think), Stoneskin can make Geomancers EXTREMELY burly.

Bueler? Bueler?!
Blatantly broken, but legal by RAW currently. I'll have to fix that as well in the future.

Summoners!
I'd suggest maybe you're going about that wrong. I'd probably work with a character to create a limit break that lets you Summon, and then grants your esper(s?) extra abilities (like Indestructible, Species-Killer, more hit points, access to more spells, increased damage steps, or whathaveyou.) But you'd have to work with your GM on this.

Dust
2010-11-07, 07:56 PM
Not intentionally missing replies, by the way! Sorry about that!

Creed
2010-11-07, 08:01 PM
The bonus grows as the HP increases. I should have been more clear. Like Tacit mentioned way back on page, uh, one of this thread (I think), Stoneskin can make Geomancers EXTREMELY burly.

Blatantly broken, but legal by RAW currently. I'll have to fix that as well in the future.

I'd suggest maybe you're going about that wrong. I'd probably work with a character to create a limit break that lets you Summon, and then grants your esper(s?) extra abilities (like Indestructible, Species-Killer, more hit points, access to more spells, increased damage steps, or whathaveyou.) But you'd have to work with your GM on this.

Glad I could help point out a glaring exploitable weakness.:smallbiggrin:

Temotei
2010-11-07, 08:19 PM
Powergaming before the game even starts is generally a bad sign. I bet he's playing a Ninja. :smallbiggrin:

I'm being a nu mou ninja, which is simply sweet. :smallcool:

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-07, 10:47 PM
Apparently the "higher level characters" table has Level 5 down as not getting a limit break. Oversight?

Dust
2010-11-08, 01:30 AM
Oversight?
Oversight.

Temotei
2010-11-08, 03:41 PM
Here are a few limit break ideas for you.

Allow Break Arts to be taken for 2 or 3 points, but the art chosen is random, like this:

{table=head]Roll|Effect
1|None
2|Power Break
3|Magic Break
4|Speed Break
5|Armor Break
6|Soul Break[/table]

Taking Neutralize twice removes immunities and resistances in addition to the normal effects.

Notes on limit break abilities:

You probably shouldn't be able to take Attack (Physical) and Attack (Magical) with the same limit break...or the cost of the second attack should double, then, which is the same as Multi-Attack's cost of 6 points. Choosing Multi-Attack along with both should only give one extra attack, chosen between physical and magical.

Question: Looking through the status effect section, combining mini and poison would increase the damage poison does each round to 15% (from 10%), since it doesn't specify what types of damage are increased (in other words, it says all damage is increased). Is that intentional?

Unrest
2010-11-08, 04:49 PM
Allow Break Arts to be taken for 2 or 3 points, but the art chosen is random, like this:

I'd be opposed to making it work that way only. Option, yes, but I'd like to be able to know what I'm going to do to the enemy. Breaking STR of a wizard is quite a disappointment for a Limit Break.

I'd be thinking the following amounts of points for the breaks:
{table]# of breaks|Pre-chosen|Random|Any
1|3|2|6
2|6|5|10
3|10|10|14
4|15|15|17
5|20|-|-
[/table]

The odd increments are because at one point, random is more useful as you have a pretty high chance of hitting what you want to hit, and can be used against every enemy - unlike pre-chosen - for exactly the same reason (but won't work 100%). Any, chosen at the time of execution, always gives you the opportunity to cripple an enemy, even with just two attacks, you just choose the degree.

Also, page 55, Samurai description line 4: "(...) however, a Samurai is a versatile combatant not to be reckoned with." Doesn't make much sense. "a" should be made into "and a", and "not" should be crossed out.

Edit: does the Ikishoten Samurai ability (+1 step of damage when allies aren't around) apply during a Duel?

This is why Yojimbo (the 'ultimate' summon from X) made Rank 5 along with the other classics; Bahamut, Odin and Alexander.

Do I just have an old version or is he actually rank 3? (and on page 77 he is mentioned as an example of a rank 3 summon)

Mecharious
2010-11-08, 06:24 PM
What annoys me about limit breaks is you can't have one that damages an enemy, and then, say, gives protect to an ally.

That's why I think there should be a limit break component that allows you to have multiple targets for your limit break. Like Versatile (2 points).

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-08, 06:29 PM
"Not to be reckoned with" is perfectly grammatically appropriate. No mistake there.

Mecharious
2010-11-08, 07:04 PM
Do I just have an old version or is he actually rank 3? (and on page 77 he is mentioned as an example of a rank 3 summon)

I think Dust meant that's why he's not a level 5 summon.

Dust
2010-11-08, 07:26 PM
What annoys me about limit breaks is you can't have one that damages an enemy, and then, say, gives protect to an ally.
Yes, you can. I apologize for not having examples.

Ikishoten applies during Duels as well.

Yojimbo is rank three. I was very, very tired and that didn't used to be the case. Ultimately, the Rank 5 summons are reserved for those summons that show up time and time again as the 'ultimates' and not game-specific mega-summons like Knights of the Round, Eden or Ark.

Back to sleep with me.

UserShadow7989
2010-11-08, 07:42 PM
I found a somewhat powerful combination that renders Death Attack obsolete. Status Effect (Zombie) + Healing (50%) does Death Attack's job for 2 points less (7 points if you go for insta-KO). You can throw in Specialized Target (cannot effect Undead) for an extra free point.

I don't see any enemies that are immune to Death effects and not Zombie or visa-versa, and if the target for Status Effect (Zombie) is immune to it, you can apply the healing portion of the limit break to yourself or your allies instead.

EDIT: However, Death Attack has one advantage; it can be combined with Drain HP (as far as I can tell).

Mecharious
2010-11-08, 07:56 PM
Death attack is probably outclassed by just a regular physical or magical attack limit breakwith modifiers. For most enemies an attack limit break will probably do at least half of its HP. The only enemies where you'd really want a death attack are probably immune.

Edit: Found another issue in the file. Under the FFX setting, one of the plot hooks is a scholar who found out how to turn mortals into Fayth. It's never actually previously mentioned what Fayth are, so that could confuse anyone who's never played the game.

Temotei
2010-11-09, 12:07 AM
I'd be opposed to making it work that way only. Option, yes, but I'd like to be able to know what I'm going to do to the enemy. Breaking STR of a wizard is quite a disappointment for a Limit Break.

I'd be thinking the following amounts of points for the breaks:
{table]# of breaks|Pre-chosen|Random|Any
1|3|2|6
2|6|5|10
3|10|10|14
4|15|15|17
5|20|-|-
[/table]

Oi. Honestly, I don't like it. It's too complicated for the system, methinks.

Oh, and yeah, those were extra options I presented, not "do it this way" suggestions.

UserShadow7989
2010-11-09, 01:37 AM
A question, building on my previous 'exploit'. Would using Revive instead of Healing insta-KO the Zombie'd target, or would it only heal them by 1 HP? The way it works in the games would imply the former, but the wording leans to the latter for me.

If the former, add Specialized Target (No Undead) and one other refund for Area Attack and you have an instant battle ender on anything that's not a boss.

EDIT: Off the top of my head, I just thought up another Limit Break option: Augmented Abilities. Take an Ability (cost depends on if it's one the character has or not, and whether it's a Job Ability, Innate Ability, or Epic Ability. The former being cheap, and the latter being extremely expensive, possibly restricted to level 3 limit breaks and not allowing any other traits). The ability is activated when using the limit break.

For example, a Thief can combine his Steal Innate Ability with Area Effect to Steal from all enemies, or a character attempting an ability that involves rolling 2d6 can add another d6 to the roll for every (insert suitable number) points added to the cost.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-09, 02:31 AM
<never mind, I'm dumb>

Mecharious
2010-11-09, 02:45 AM
Um... I never said anything contrary to that. I just said the file talked about the Fayth without saying what they were.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-09, 02:48 AM
Um... I never said anything contrary to that. I just said the file talked about the Fayth without saying what they were.

:smallfurious: ARGLEFARGLERARGLEFHSBFKHHGBVKJHGVC!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally misread what you posted :smallredface:

Temotei
2010-11-09, 03:25 AM
Off the top of my head, I just thought up another Limit Break option: Augmented Abilities. Take an Ability (cost depends on if it's one the character has or not, and whether it's a Job Ability, Innate Ability, or Epic Ability. The former being cheap, and the latter being extremely expensive, possibly restricted to level 3 limit breaks and not allowing any other traits). The ability is activated when using the limit break.

For example, a Thief can combine his Steal Innate Ability with Area Effect to Steal from all enemies, or a character attempting an ability that involves rolling 2d6 can add another d6 to the roll for every (insert suitable number) points added to the cost.

That's way better than my Thieving ability idea. I love this. :smallbiggrin:

Unrest
2010-11-09, 12:07 PM
"Not to be reckoned with" is perfectly grammatically appropriate. No mistake there.

Ohh... uh? I'm not a native English-user, so got that jumbled. I always thought that "reckon" means "to take into account", "be aware of" (so "not to be reckoned with" would mean "needs not be bothered with"). Well, you learn your whole life.

@Temotei: Yeah, it is too complicated. But, paraphrasing / quoting what someone on this forum had in their signature, "When in doubt, I make tables." I just thought of all the possibilities and what I thought of their power level. Because being able to use any of the breaks for just 1 point more, or not being able to use more than one break simultaneously, was... unbalanced? Odd? Can't think of a proper word. I wanted to point to a possibility.

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-09, 12:09 PM
It's one of those weird cases, like "inflammable" and "flammable" meaning the same thing.

Aldgar
2010-11-09, 01:19 PM
I have a question:

There are two stated ways to perform a limit break:

1) Spend 3 points of Destiny

2) Roll a critical hit at 25% or less HP(50% or less with Limit Breaker ability/Overdrive equipment)

The example of case 2) spells out "rolling a pair of sixes"(cf. page 123).

BUT....what if a Dragoon with the *Threaten* ability rolls a crit that isn't a pair of sixes?

(For reference: Reach weapons crit on 11-12. The Threaten ability lets them crit on 10-12, aka 1/6 of the time instead of the *normal* 1/36)

Can a Dragoon use limit breaks on such *lesser* crits?

Dust
2010-11-09, 01:30 PM
Aldgar: Yes. You can always pull off a Limit Break when you get a critical hit 'result' on the dice roll, even if it was caused by an Ability (Threaten or Grim Reaper for example), reroll (concealed weapons, dual-wield, a Gambler), or whatever.

Shadow: My face; :smalleek:

Sairyu
2010-11-09, 04:35 PM
Congratulations on finishing. :")

XiaoTie
2010-11-09, 04:40 PM
Dayum! This is awesome!

Awesome work, hopefully I'll be able to use it sometime soon :D

Mecharious
2010-11-09, 05:06 PM
Can magical and physical attack be combined in a limit break? If you take multi-attack do you get the extra attack for just one of them?

Temotei
2010-11-09, 05:10 PM
Can magical and physical attack be combined in a limit break? If you take multi-attack do you get the extra attack for just one of them?

{table=head]Roll|Effect
1|None
2|Power Break
3|Magic Break
4|Speed Break
5|Armor Break
6|Soul Break[/table]

Taking Neutralize twice removes immunities and resistances in addition to the normal effects.

Notes on limit break abilities:

You probably shouldn't be able to take Attack (Physical) and Attack (Magical) with the same limit break...or the cost of the second attack should double, then, which is the same as Multi-Attack's cost of 6 points. Choosing Multi-Attack along with both should only give one extra attack, chosen between physical and magical.

Question: Looking through the status effect section, combining mini and poison would increase the damage poison does each round to 15% (from 10%), since it doesn't specify what types of damage are increased (in other words, it says all damage is increased). Is that intentional?

Addressed, though not answered.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-09, 05:27 PM
Dunno if this is why, but just noticed that White Mages get Huge weapon proficiency:
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs12/i/2006/297/7/d/Black_and_White_Mage__by_Ironstar2.jpg

I lol'd.

UserShadow7989
2010-11-09, 05:49 PM
Shadow: My face; :smalleek:

I exist only to break things. :smallamused:

Just out of curiosity, was that aimed at the Revive Limit Break question (which I assume means it's an instant KO?), or the 'Limit Break' idea I posted being too broken (I'd probably scrap the Epic Ability option for, since even with those limits it's pretty broken to get an Epic use every time you critical hit).

The easiest fix I can think of it to change Zombie status to a level 2 Limit Break status effect, buff the cost of Revive, and drop the cost for Death Attack.

Zombie has a lot of exploits, Reviving is a pretty powerful effect early on, and Death Attack rarely effects the enemies you would want to use it on the most (maybe bar it from being mixed with Area Effect to prevent abuse if that's what worries you).

EDIT: Found an error under Shinryu's stat block. His SPR rating is 24, but should be 14.

Creed
2010-11-09, 05:52 PM
Dunno if this is why, but just noticed that White Mages get Huge weapon proficiency:
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs12/i/2006/297/7/d/Black_and_White_Mage__by_Ironstar2.jpg

I lol'd.

"I'm going to heal you now. WITH MY GIANT HAMMER!"
:smalltongue:
Reminds me of this Ukranian ceremonial weapon, called, I believe, a buluva. It's a wooden mace with pointyspikey things on it and it's a symbol for prosperity and good fortune apparently.

Mecharious
2010-11-09, 06:04 PM
Eh, I think you should be able to take both physical and magical attack. The odds are your main stat will be higher than your other. If your Strength is 10 higher than your int, the physical could be doing around 100 more points of damage, based on what level you are and how good your weapons are.

It encourages not only having one really huge stat, with the others being much smaller.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-09, 06:48 PM
@Dust: Does the Hume HP bonus give an actual extra 3HP every level, or does it effectively increase your class's HP bonus by 3 (so a Dragoon would have a HP of 9).

The person who mentioned it said that because the Hume entry says /level it gives 3 bonus every level. But it also says /level in the class entry, so I'm not sure.

Edit: Meteorite (Time, Rank 1) says it's a single target, but then goes on to say the damage is done to all enemies. Obviously it's a Group spell, just mentioning the mistake.

Unrest
2010-11-09, 06:57 PM
<zombie>

Did it work like that in FF games? I.e., was stuff like this insta-KO?

I'd say instant-KO's are bad for warfare. 'Cause there isn't any. I'd feel bad shutting down Dracula by pushing a Phoenix Down down his throat :smallannoyed:

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-09, 06:59 PM
It did in fact work like that in many FF games.

The undead train boss from FF6 comes to mind...

Mecharious
2010-11-09, 07:47 PM
There was also an underwater zombie boss in FFX that could die that way...

Speaking of which, this is a bit off-topic, but do they ever explain why Wakka, Rikku, and Tidus can breathe underwater? I wasn't paying attention for a lot of that game.

Creed
2010-11-09, 08:07 PM
Speaking of which, this is a bit off-topic, but do they ever explain why Wakka, Rikku, and Tidus can breathe underwater? I wasn't paying attention for a lot of that game.

"Blitzball players have to be able to hold their breath for a really long time, ya?"
And Rikku is Rikku.:smalltongue:

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-09, 08:09 PM
Rikku can hold her breath for such a long time because she's used to underwater salvaging.

Spirans can train to hold their breaths for a very long tmie.

Mecharious
2010-11-09, 09:01 PM
I have to imagine when you first get to Spira you and Rikku are underwater for hours. So it's established that they're holding their breath instead of having some sort of device that helps them breathe?

Well, that's FF for you :smallsmile:

UserShadow7989
2010-11-09, 09:09 PM
Did it work like that in FF games? I.e., was stuff like this insta-KO?

I'd say instant-KO's are bad for warfare. 'Cause there isn't any. I'd feel bad shutting down Dracula by pushing a Phoenix Down down his throat :smallannoyed:

As stated above, yes. There are also two instances of it in FF8 (you can use a Phoenix Down to end both quickly, though the second one takes several as damage done this way is limited by the Damage Cap (9999, which the second zombie boss has twice that much of).

There's even two different bosses in FFX that use the combo on the party, both come late in the game. The first has a fairly high damage attack that inflicts Zombie, then casts Full-Life on them next turn.

The latter will inflict Zombie on the whole party and spend several turns healing the party to death (frustrating because the final phase of the battle has her use a party hitting instant KO attack that only Zombies can survive, so you either cure it in the first two phases and play with several party members vulnerable to the instant kill, or put up with a tough first two phases for an easy third phase).

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-09, 09:12 PM
I personally say the instant KO effects are traditional Final Fantasy fare and should stay in the game.

Along with suplexing any enemy at all, even if it's a train.

Temotei
2010-11-09, 11:41 PM
The latter will inflict Zombie on the whole party and spend several turns healing the party to death (frustrating because the final phase of the battle has her use a party hitting instant KO attack that only Zombies can survive, so you either cure it in the first two phases and play with several party members vulnerable to the instant kill, or put up with a tough first two phases for an easy third phase).

You could always just get a death ward item. Those aren't too terribly hard to get. The deathproof ability is a bit harder to get at that point, though...

Otherwise, just cure one party member, then leave the others zombies. Or cure two and leave one. Having a uniform zombie/non-zombie party is kind of bad for that part, if I remember right.

Of course, then you have the pitiful boss fights after that and you wonder why it was so hard, then such a breeze. :smalltongue:

UserShadow7989
2010-11-10, 01:55 AM
You could always just get a death ward item. Those aren't too terribly hard to get. The deathproof ability is a bit harder to get at that point, though...

Otherwise, just cure one party member, then leave the others zombies. Or cure two and leave one. Having a uniform zombie/non-zombie party is kind of bad for that part, if I remember right.

Of course, then you have the pitiful boss fights after that and you wonder why it was so hard, then such a breeze. :smalltongue:

I could never get a hold of any Deathward/proof equipment. I never, personally, had trouble with the latter boss (though the former tripped me up a few times on my first two playthroughs, until I figured out that when he casts reflect on himself and starts casting Flare on himself, dispelling his reflect doesn't change the AI's behavior), but I heard plenty of people did.

Personally, I loved how the bosses of FFX would use the same tricks that players would use, and that difficulty came in figuring out the holes in the bosses strategies. Like how certain bosses that love to heal themselves are vulnerable to Zombie.

Really, the No Sphere Grid challenge and variants thereof are a hoot if you have the patience to grind for items/synthesis material/Overdrive.

EDIT: Another grammar mistake. In the Entertainer's Wake to Life: "Objects awakened in this way cannot participate in combat, are generally loyal to the Entertainer that created them, and are as resilient than the material they are made out of." 'Than' should be replaced a second 'as'.

Mecharious
2010-11-10, 02:05 AM
_________ was actually the only boss I had trouble with in that game. Of course, now that I think about it, Deathproof equipment would completely trivialize that encounter.

Lame.

UserShadow7989
2010-11-10, 02:13 AM
Sinspawn Gui was the only real stumbling block for me other then you-know-who's third appearance. Also, the name of that boss is a bit of a spoiler. Perhaps edit it out so anyone who hasn't played FFX but wants to try it someday (very narrow specification, I know) or who haven't reached that part yet aren't spoiled?

But yeah, really easy once you have that, or simply have an idea of how the battle goes beforehand. The first time through? It's an epic climax fight.

Temotei
2010-11-10, 02:26 AM
I always thought the game was really, really easy except for the optional bosses (which I figured out not long after losing the first couple of times) in the monster arena, but I don't mind...though there were those cheap spots, like with the zombie-death combo.

Oh, and this one time, I was in a boss fight with Auron, Tidus, and Yuna. I accidentally killed both Auron and Tidus by making them attack themselves. Yeah, I'm that good. :smallcool:

I think that was against Seymour Butts's second incarnation.

Mecharious
2010-11-10, 02:37 AM
Sinspawn Gui was the only real stumbling block for me other then you-know-who's third appearance. Also, the name of that boss is a bit of a spoiler. Perhaps edit it out so anyone who hasn't played FFX but wants to try it someday (very narrow specification, I know) or who haven't reached that part yet aren't spoiled?

If someone hasn't played FFX, they aren't going to remember the name unless a big deal is made over it. I've heard about FFX since it came out, and my friends talked about it all the time, but I never played until around 6 months ago. I didn't remember a spoiler at all since it had no significance to me.

And if someone cares that much while they're in the middle of FFX, they'll take care not to read anything relating to it. Sure there might be a rare case where it can't be avoided, but I'd rather not have to worry about editing out any tiny thing that could possibly be a spoiler. At you're insistence I'm going to delete it, but I think as a rule of thumb there's no obligation to spoiler something if it's been out for at least a month.

Unrest
2010-11-10, 01:54 PM
stuff

I never approach a FF game without being prepared that anyone might be out to kill me :smallbiggrin:

UserShadow7989
2010-11-10, 03:41 PM
If someone hasn't played FFX, they aren't going to remember the name unless a big deal is made over it. I've heard about FFX since it came out, and my friends talked about it all the time, but I never played until around 6 months ago. I didn't remember a spoiler at all since it had no significance to me.

And if someone cares that much while they're in the middle of FFX, they'll take care not to read anything relating to it. Sure there might be a rare case where it can't be avoided, but I'd rather not have to worry about editing out any tiny thing that could possibly be a spoiler. At you're insistence I'm going to delete it, but I think as a rule of thumb there's no obligation to spoiler something if it's been out for at least a month.

Fair enough, I'm just paranoid about that. As I often arrive late to the proverbial party for any given new series, I always end up getting spoiled one way or another.

I never approach a FF game without being prepared that anyone anything might be out to kill me :smallbiggrin:

Fixed. That goes for all JRPGs, especially Earthbopund/Mother.

Otogi
2010-11-10, 05:37 PM
Fixed. That goes for all JRPGs, especially Earthbopund/Mother.

Hey Dust, what's your next project gonna be? :smallwink:

Zeta Kai
2010-11-10, 06:04 PM
I can't believe that there is discussion about FFX & I wasn't in on it. :smalleek::smallfrown::smallsigh:

UserShadow7989
2010-11-10, 07:17 PM

Hey Dust, what's your next project gonna be? :smallwink:

XD

C... l... o... u... d... I... f... e... e... l... h... a... p... p... y...

That and Persona are up there with the RPGs that need a system.

...huh. Change the spellcasting system for PSI system, change some Job Abilities around, you have a functioning Earthbound/Mother system. Mix the Esper/Materia systems together and you have a pretty good imitation of Persona.

That's what I love about this system. Flexibility.

Unrest
2010-11-11, 02:34 PM
Spellblade – Slow, Single
The character can invest a portion of magical energy in his or his allies’ magical weapons, granting them the Spell Effect property for any single spell of Tier 4 or lower that the Red Mage is able to cast. The character using this weapon will be able to then cast the spell directly from the weapon upon landing a critical hit, or as a standard action for no MP cost at a 25% chance of breaking the equipment, even if they are not normally able to use magic.
The effects of Spellblade last until the end of combat and may be cast on multiple different allies simultaneously.

A couple problems with this one.
1) Does investing the spell into the weapon take the MP needed to cast the spell?
2) Can there be multiple Spell Effect properties on one weapon - one forged-in and one imbued via Spellblade? Do we get to chose which is to be released at the moment of attacking?
3) Can Indestructible weapons be destroyed by casting the spells within? "(...) no spell or attack can break them." Kamis can upon Draw-Out.
4) The text reads as if you could imbue many weapons at the same time, which I don't think is the case.

~5) About double weapons: does using two weapons with the Critical Attack property give us twice its benefits, and thus make our attacks strike critically at 10-12 (9-12 if we have Threaten), with the possibility to reroll 1d6? It's written you "may equip two unique weapons". It's a poor wording I think, because with the weapon system you could have a tier 2 Arcane weapon with a Critical Attack property and a tier 2 Reach weapon with the Spell Effect property and I guess they'd count as 'unique'.

What do you do then?

Currently, I get it that you hit just one time. If so, if you have an imbued Arcane weapon of tier 3 and a tier 6 Reach weapon, can you use your INT/SPR attribute for damage? If you can't, then you'd probably have to calculate damage from two weapons - which could also be the case, because the fact that you combine the damage from both attacks is not stated ("Lower tier damage" is mentioned only at critical hits). That would also need to trigger things like Spell Effect twice.

The fastest way to solve criticals is I guess to rule that Critical Attack from multiple weapons does not stack, or maybe set a hard limit on critical range (9-12, which is ~11%, or 8-12, which is ~14%. 14 percent doesn't seem that unbalanced, and you actually have to work towards it.)

About the damage however, I've no idea. Roll damage for two weapons separately, and be able to use Spell Effect from weapons only once, or state that Imbued cannot be used in the case of a one-outcome two-weapon attack if the non-Imbued weapon is of a higher tier than the one that allows you to use INT/SPR-to-damage.

Phew!

Mecharious
2010-11-11, 02:51 PM
Do freelancers get destiny on levelling up if they changed their job? I figure they don't because of its wording, but I just want to make sure. Also, are they allowed to equip the legendary accessory of a job that they changed to? I also figure they can't because they already have a legendary accessory, and the combination of their job ability Blaze of Glory and Rosetta Ring would be... scary.

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-11, 02:54 PM
Victory Pose is their innate ability.

When they Job Change, they change their innate ability to the one of their new class.

Work it out.

Mecharious
2010-11-11, 05:15 PM
Are you trying to be hostile? I can't really tell your tone over the internet but that seemed kind of... rude.

Also, under Job Change, it says the freelancer "obtains" the new innate ability, not replaces theirs.

Unrest
2010-11-11, 05:46 PM
Are you trying to be hostile? I can't really tell your tone over the internet but that seemed kind of... rude.

Got the same impression.

Also, under Job Change, it says the freelancer "obtains" the new innate ability, not replaces theirs.

For me, it mentions every thing you obtain and every thing you change after you change professions. I'm inclined to look at the whole "assuming of a different Job" thing as ability-related mimicry. This system does not allow for multiclassing at all, so literally you would always be a Freelancer, and therefore gain a Destiny point.

I know there were more sound arguments in the history of philosophy, but it's one strictly logical way of looking at it.

Mecharious
2010-11-11, 05:51 PM
I'm linclined to think it only applies if you are still a Freelancer - Freelancer rather than, say, a Fighter - Freelancer, since under Victory Pose it says "when he gains a level in the freelancer job" rather than "when he gains a level."

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-11, 05:52 PM
I'd say it only gives you Destiny when levelling as a Freelancer, rather than a Freelancer acting as another job. But that's just me.

Mecharious
2010-11-11, 07:03 PM
So, I've come up with some homebrew for this system. Since the basics are covered in the file, I came up with some job variants rather than adding new jobs completely. The difference is that a variant shares many of the same abilities as the job they're based off of, and often has similar statistics such as weapon proficiencies, HP, and ACC.
So here's the Chemist (from FFT), a variant of the Engineer.
Chemist

StatisticsChemists have the same statistics (HP/MP per level, weapon/armor proficiencies, skill points, ACC, and EVA) as the Engineer with one exception. They lose access to Huge weapons and gain proficiency with concealed weapons instead.
Epic Ability: Grand Concoction(Instant/Group) - A chemist, in dire circumstances, can create a powerful concoction capable of turning the tides in a battle. Upon using this ability, the Chemist chooses from the list below, and uses the effects of that potion.
The higher a chemist's Synthesis (Alchemy) skill is, the more choices that character can choose. For example, the character only needs a single skill point in Synthesis (Alchemy) in order to use Potion Spray, but requires 5 skill points in order to use Phoenix Tear.
{table]Skill|Potion|Effect
1|Potion Spray|The group recovers 100hp
2|Ether Spray|The group recovers 100mp
3|X-Remedy|The group recovers from all negative status effects and gains immunity to negative status effects until the end of the chemist’s next turn
4|Shilixer|The group increases their armor and magic armor by an amount equal to the chemist’s level
5|Phoenix Tear|All unconscious group members are revived at full HP. This has no effect on subjects killed by the “No Mercy” ability.
6|Megalixer|All conscious group member are restored to full HP and MP.
7|Angel Tear|The group is restored to full HP and receives the effects of auto-life.
8+|???|All unconscious group members revive at 1HP. All group members then receive the effects of Haste, Protect, and Shell.[/table]
Innate Ability: Refine, just as Engineer.

Job AbilitiesThe chemist loses access to the following Engineer Abilities: Soul of Thamasa, Maintenance, Salvage, Junkyard, and Pandora’s Box.
The chemist may still pick the following Engineer Abilities: Chemist (change name to Auto-Potion), Oil Spill, Twin Accessory, Gillionaire, and Efficient Construction.
New Job AbilitiesThe chemist may select from the following 5 abilities when they would gain a new ability. Engineers may not select these.
Throw Potion (Standard/Single): A chemist may throw any recovery item (including phoenix downs) from a distance. They may target any ally that they see, regardless of the distance. This ability can be used a number of times per session equal to the chemist’s strength rating.
Art of Healing (Special): Any good chemist knows that it is important to be both well versed in creating potions and salves in addition to being able to know how to apply them. Whenever the chemist uses an item on an ally, that ally recovers HP equal to twice the chemist’s intelligence score. This even applies to items such as phoenix downs and eye drops, that normally don’t heal.
Bottomless Bags (Special): A chemist may carry 20 items, instead of the usual 10.
Alchemical Coating (Instant/Single): The chemist may coat one of their, or an ally’s weapon with an alchemical substance. This causes the target’s next physical attack to do any element type in damage, including shadow and holy. This alchemical coating is lost after the target first hits an opponent. This may be used a number of times per session equal to the chemist’s INT rating.
Dispensary (Instant/Self): Some chemists seem to have a never-ending supply of items. Whenever a chemist uses an item, the character may choose not to remove it from their inventory. This may be used a number of times per session equal to the chemist’s SPR rating. This cannot apply to elixers, megalixers, three stars, or a supreme gem.
Legendary Accessory: Philosopher's Stone+6 INT, +4 DEX. When the Chemist uses Grand Concoction, the character keeps a copy of that item to be used at a later time, in addition to the effect being immediately used. This item may be used on the entire party at any later time, but there can only be one Grand Concoction in the chemist's inventory at any given time, and dispensary may not be used with it.

I think that's it. I'm not sure about the balance of this - Dispensary may be especially powerful with some later-game items. There may also be some balance issues in the Engineer abilities I decided to keep, but I think it's all right.

I'm also working on Green Mage (from FFTA2, it'll be a Red Mage variant) and the Parivir (also FFTA2; Samuri variant)

Dust
2010-11-11, 07:25 PM
Freelancers do not retain their Innate Ability when they are a different Job. It should be 'replace' in the description, you're correct.

I like the Chemist! That's damn cool. Looking forward to future stuff.

Sorry for all the questions I'm certain I'm ignoring. Again - not intentional!

Mecharious
2010-11-11, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

Ah! I knew I was forgetting something. The chemist is updated with its legendary accessory.

Unrest
2010-11-11, 07:58 PM
@Dust: That big-a** wall-o-text here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9743764&postcount=157) is actually kinda problematic for anyone with dual-wield, I reckon.

Dust
2010-11-11, 11:18 PM
Wall of text comin' right back atcha. Happened to find a free moment.

1) Does investing the spell into the weapon take the MP needed to cast the spell?
No.

2) Can there be multiple Spell Effect properties on one weapon - one forged-in and one imbued via Spellblade? Do we get to chose which is to be released at the moment of attacking?
I believe this was mentioned specifically somewhere, but yes; you can have multiple 'Spell Effect' properties on a single weapon. As you guessed, multiple spells don't fire off simultaneously on a lucky hit - only one, of your choice.

3) Can Indestructible weapons be destroyed by casting the spells within?
I figure this one is up to GM decision; the system was intended with the idea that Indestructible weapons couldn't be 'accidentally' destroyed from Spell Effect. However, I didn't want to specifically sit down and address this in the book because it makes for some really lame character builds; for example, an extremely efficient character might sit down and 'spam' Hyperdrive or Curaga II from his weapon every single round. Which is stupid on many many levels.

4) The text reads as if you could imbue many weapons at the same time, which I don't think is the case.
You're right, it needs clarification. Being a 'Single' target ability, it does indeed only imbue one weapon at a time. I should have been more clear.

5) About double weapons: does using two weapons with the Critical Attack property give us twice its benefits, and thus make our attacks strike critically at 10-12 (9-12 if we have Threaten)
No. Weapon properties don't generally 'stack' as is mentioned a few times. You do get the reroll though, which is certainly worth a single ability.

It's a poor wording I think, because with the weapon system you could have a tier 2 Arcane weapon with a Critical Attack property and a tier 2 Reach weapon with the Spell Effect property and I guess they'd count as 'unique'.

What do you do then?

Currently, I get it that you hit just one time. If so, if you have an imbued Arcane weapon of tier 3 and a tier 6 Reach weapon, can you use your INT/SPR attribute for damage? If you can't, then you'd probably have to calculate damage from two weapons - which could also be the case, because the fact that you combine the damage from both attacks is not stated ("Lower tier damage" is mentioned only at critical hits). That would also need to trigger things like Spell Effect twice.

About the damage however, I've no idea. Roll damage for two weapons separately, and be able to use Spell Effect from weapons only once, or state that Imbued cannot be used in the case of a one-outcome two-weapon attack if the non-Imbued weapon is of a higher tier than the one that allows you to use INT/SPR-to-damage.
I think you're over-complicating things.

When you're dual-wielding, you get all the 'properties' of both weapons as though they were combined into a single weapon. (This is, of course, ENORMOUS, but it also really kills the pocketbook in actual gameplay if you're using the standard wealth per level stuff. Using Two Weapons was intended to be a pretty standard choice that players would make for their characters; Two weapons for pure offensive juggernaut-ness, a single weapon (and maybe a shield if the Job has access) for a more balanced character with actual money to spare in case of emergencies.)

Whenever you attack with two weapons, it's only a single strike and you use the bonuses that are the most beneficial to you - except on critical hits, as you already noted. Your swashbuckler using a Bladed rapier in one hand and a Concealed dagger in the other? He can deal all of his damage based off his DEX thanks to the dagger's property if he so chooses. Your Fable II hero remade as a Final Fantasy character, with a big warhammer strapped to his back and a gun in one hand? Knockback effects from three city blocks away if you like.
It certainly gets silly, but again, you'll find that the increased critical chance from Reach weapons, even when combined with say, Spell Effect, isn't the most amazing trick in the book.

Let's say we're going to build the bizarre hybrid you describe. We'll probably start with a Red Mage for a few reasons;
- We can max out his SPR and thus use it for just about everything
- Starts with Arcane weapons
- Access to most magical types, which is great for arcane weapons as well.
- He's a bleedin' RED MAGE.

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/7259/12192570.gif

So he needs 2/3 abilities to make this idea he's got work. He needs Weapon Training for reach weapons, Dual Wield to...well, you know...and maybe Charismagic so those free on-critical-hit spells pack an extra punch. We'll say he gets all three, so we're looking at a level 4 Red Mage with 13 SPR.
He's dual-wielding a Tier 1 Arcane weapon and a Tier 3 Reach weapon because his buddy the engineer got him a good deal. So on a typical hit, he's looking at 13 (SPR) x 3 (best weapon tier) +2d6 damage, the result of which is then halved for an average of 23 damage. He gets a reroll to boost his chances of a critical hit pretty solidly, but the fact that he's dual-wielding holds him back here. On a critical hit, you're looking at 20 'straight' damage plus 45 from a spell, give or take. We can average him doing about 50 damage per round then thanks to his absurdly high critical chance. That's nothing to raise an eyebrow at.

Yes, I tweaked some of the variables in this hypothetical numbercrunch in my favor - for example, a level 15 Red Mage with Spell Effect: Death weapons and Shadow Enhancer would be considerably different - but there are LOTS of ways to be ridiculous at high levels. But at some point in time, I think it's important to sit back and realize that the theoretical Freelancer-turned Dragoon/Fighter/Blue Mage tank with an Indestructible 'Spell Effect: Revenge' weapon and a bajillion hit points - oh heck, toss some Geomancer in there too - is cool in THEORY, but in execution? It might not look like it by all the bugs that're being found, but we have playtested all the broken combos we can think of to the moon and back, and haven't found anything that is jaw-droppingly better than simply 'playing it straight.'

Same with Dual-Wield; don't try to complicate it and it won't be. Bonus weapon...well, bonuses...and a one-die reroll.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-12, 02:58 AM
@Dust: Does the Hume HP bonus give an actual extra 3HP every level, or does it effectively increase your class's HP bonus by 3 (so a Dragoon would have a HP of 9).

The person who mentioned it said that because the Hume entry says /level it gives 3 bonus every level. But it also says /level in the class entry, so I'm not sure.

Edit: Meteorite (Time, Rank 1) says it's a single target, but then goes on to say the damage is done to all enemies. Obviously it's a Group spell, just mentioning the mistake.

Repost because the Hume HP thing is of pressing interest to me.

Mecharious
2010-11-12, 03:38 AM
I'm positive it's per level. It even says "per level" in the file.

And I just found a ridiculous combination (using the freelancer, of course). Be a hume freelancer, and get as much VIT as possible. I'm assuming by level 30 you could get at least 40 (when you get your 3rd limit break, the stat cap is removed. With items 40 shouldn't be too difficult).

Be a hume freelancer (+3hp/level)
As a geomancer, take Stoneskin twice (assuming it scales with level)
As an entertainer, take Weapon of Choice (for the +4hp/level)
As a samurai, take Flawless Form
As a paladin, take Saint Cross
Finally as a monk, make Unbreakeable Form your passive.

This would give you 1830hp at level 30. Your armor would be 255, and your magic armor would be 285. For more fun, take Primal Might (geomancer) to make your ACC and EVA based on VIT. Cover (paladin) works great, but unfortunately your armor doesn't apply when you use it. Evade Magic (ninja) and Focus (monk) will be great defensive assets to assist avoiding attacks all together (although with your HP you might as well be taking all the hits). Equip a ribbon to prevent pesky status effects (or take the paladin's Pure Soul)

Of course this assumes Stoneskin scales as you level up. It also assumes Weapon of Choice applies once you change your job (I'm pretty sure it does, but the wording is a bit suspect).

Unrest
2010-11-12, 07:19 AM
@Dust: okay, cool, cool. Now that's clarified. But I feel it *did* need to be. And over-complication, ya, I has it.

Dust
2010-11-12, 01:10 PM
Repost because the Hume HP thing is of pressing interest to me.
Being a Hume grants additional hit points every level. Being a Lalafell grants additional magic points every level.

Mecharious - someone else PMed me a 45 EVA melee Ranger build, too. Is it bad that my initial response is 'Heh, that would be so cool to see in play?' as opposed to 'ZOMG must fix!'

Creed
2010-11-12, 04:41 PM
I'm positive it's per level. It even says "per level" in the file.

And I just found a ridiculous combination (using the freelancer, of course). Be a hume freelancer, and get as much VIT as possible. I'm assuming by level 30 you could get at least 40 (when you get your 3rd limit break, the stat cap is removed. With items 40 shouldn't be too difficult).

Be a hume freelancer (+3hp/level)
As a geomancer, take Stoneskin twice (assuming it scales with level)
As an entertainer, take Weapon of Choice (for the +4hp/level)
As a samurai, take Flawless Form
As a paladin, take Saint Cross
Finally as a monk, make Unbreakeable Form your passive.

This would give you 1830hp at level 30. Your armor would be 255, and your magic armor would be 285. For more fun, take Primal Might (geomancer) to make your ACC and EVA based on VIT. Cover (paladin) works great, but unfortunately your armor doesn't apply when you use it. Evade Magic (ninja) and Focus (monk) will be great defensive assets to assist avoiding attacks all together (although with your HP you might as well be taking all the hits). Equip a ribbon to prevent pesky status effects (or take the paladin's Pure Soul)

Of course this assumes Stoneskin scales as you level up. It also assumes Weapon of Choice applies once you change your job (I'm pretty sure it does, but the wording is a bit suspect).

One word.
WIN.

Mecharious
2010-11-12, 04:58 PM
Mecharious - someone else PMed me a 45 EVA melee Ranger build, too. Is it bad that my initial response is 'Heh, that would be so cool to see in play?' as opposed to 'ZOMG must fix!'

Haha! I think it's fair because the freelancer would be worse than the rest of the party for a good part of the game. And if you'd have to play this freelancer from level 1 to whenever they start to look good, so they might as well be better than the rest of the part at this point if they had to put up with being worse for so long :smalltongue:

Edit: I think the theoretical maximum is 59 VIT. Dual-wield +6 VIT items, and get two +6 VIT accessories (Twin Accessory is an engineer ability). You'd need the maximum of 30 VIT at level 25, break the cap, and get VIT up every level. This would give you... 570 more HP than what I posted, and 57 more ARM and MARM, for a total of 2,400hp, 315ARM, and 345MARM. I think my original math was wrong when calculating the armor and Marmor...

This of course assumes that they stack (Personally, I don't think they should, but I see nothing against it in the rules), and that the maximum +VIT is 6 per piece of equipment.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-12, 05:06 PM
Haha! I think it's fair because the freelancer would be worse than the rest of the party for a good part of the game. And if you'd have to play this freelancer from level 1 to whenever they start to look good, so they might as well be better than the rest of the part at this point if they had to put up with being worse for so long :smalltongue:

Also, that uber HP build needs 15 points of Destiny, a resource that isn't exactly just lying around in a treasure box.

Mecharious
2010-11-12, 05:10 PM
That's true. 3 of it comes from levelling up (freelancer passive), you can get 6 from goals, and I think 6 more after that isn't too difficult to accomplish. If you wait until level 8 to class change, that's 7 destiny from levelling.

Dust
2010-11-12, 05:27 PM
Anyone who plays a Freelancer 'til level 8 has my bleedin' blessings anyway.

Temotei
2010-11-13, 01:21 PM
Drown (2 Points)
Drown forces the target to hold its breath for two rounds. This ability may be taken more than once. Each time it's taken, the duration increases by an additional round.

Dust
2010-11-13, 02:07 PM
Nice! I like it!

Mecharious
2010-11-13, 03:19 PM
So, Dust. Are shurikens supposed to be made with alchemy, or is that a typo in the file?

Unrest
2010-11-13, 05:39 PM
Is there some way to remove Drown?

Temotei
2010-11-13, 05:50 PM
Is there some way to remove Drown?

The water breathing weapon/armor ability might, with GM discretion, as usual.

Should that be, you think?

Dust
2010-11-13, 06:39 PM
So, Dust. Are shurikens supposed to be made with alchemy, or is that a typo in the file?
It should be weaponsmithing. Originally, we were going to talk about at length as to how they were primarily used the way hira-shuriken were used historically; wrapped in fuse to be lit and thrown, or perhaps wrapped in a cloth soaked in poison and lit to cover an area with a cloud of poisonous smoke. Likewise, some were intentionally rusted to harbor the bacterium Clostridium tetani.

Then we realized this was dumb and went with 'hey, it's pointy metal that you throw!' instead and made the Darts.

Temotei
2010-11-14, 05:18 AM
Harmless (6 Points)
This ability renders all attacks against the limit break user useless, regardless of the type of attack. However, the user also cannot harm another creature. This effect lasts for 4 rounds. Harmless cannot be combined with any ability that would bring harm to another creature.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-14, 05:33 AM
Might be a bit presumptuous, but I plan to utilise homebrew in my game so a single place (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175844) to see it would be nice.

If Dust disapproves I'll remove it.

Dust
2010-11-14, 02:34 PM
Why on earth would I disapprove? o_0 Heck, I might sig the second thread.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-14, 02:37 PM

Dunno, just in case you did. You can never be too paranoid :smallcool:

IcarusWings
2010-11-14, 03:15 PM
Hey Dust. I did a Master of the Keyblade (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9762263&postcount=11) Job on the Homebrew thread [/shameless plug:smallbiggrin:], and I realised that there should probably be a Kingdom Hearts section in the World chapter, what would you think about adding it in?

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-14, 05:39 PM
Kingdom Hearts is not Final Fantasy.

Mecharious
2010-11-14, 05:42 PM
And a lot of stuff isn't D&D, but people still enjoy making homebrew of it for their games.

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-14, 05:43 PM
Sure. But it doesn't belong in the setting section. :smalltongue:

Creed
2010-11-14, 05:44 PM
And a lot of stuff isn't D&D, but people still enjoy making homebrew of it for their games.

True dat. And KH is Square Enix and all...

*goes back to searching through posts to identify when more people will get on to RP in Spira.*

Dust
2010-11-14, 08:21 PM
The problem with adding more and more games to the Settings is that, not only will the book get even more (unnecessarily) bulky, but it's hard to justify doing Kingdom Hearts before more 'canon' games such as Vagrant Story (which is set in Ivalice as well).

The thing about the Keyblade master, whether it be Sora/Riku/whoever in the video games or the base class, it has a lot of quirks that seperate it from the other standard classes. This makes it far more difficult to balance - at any rate, it's certainly not a project I'd be confident tackling! :smallwink:

Unrest
2010-11-14, 08:23 PM
Nooooo... KH is definitely not FF. If not for any other reason, it's got a different name. It's got some characters mashed in, but it'd be like making a Mario RPG and then make a chapter about Donkey Kong in it because there was Smash Bros. or whatever it was called where the other guys appeared.

Edit: And Vagrant Story, however beloved, has hardly anything to do with FF system-wise except Ivalice.

Creed
2010-11-14, 08:26 PM
Nooooo... KH is definitely not FF. If not for any other reason, it's got a different name. It's got some characters mashed in, but it'd be like making a Mario RPG and then make a chapter about Donkey Kong in it because there was Smash Bros. or whatever it was called where the other guys appeared.

Edit: And Vagrant Story, however beloved, has hardly anything to do with FF system-wise except Ivalice.

This is an excellent point.

Angry_Scientist
2010-11-14, 08:44 PM
First off, I would just like to say how much I love this system. It's easy to understand, unique, and the character creation makes me want to make versions of some FF characters!

Second, I was wondering if there's any FF games still looking for players? I only recently found out about the system and saw that a bunch had sprung up in this thread...

Unrest
2010-11-14, 09:13 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174130

Post there and / or look in that subforum for another recruitment thread started by Anonomuss. Hard to tell how many interested people are there as of now.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-15, 04:06 PM

If you did that would kick much ass.

Creed
2010-11-15, 09:30 PM
ATTENTION:
Just got GameInformer.
Auron from FFX comes in at 21 in the Top Thirty Characters who Defined the Decade.
Squeezed right inbetween Tim from Braid and Raz from Psychonauts.
He's ahead of Phoenix Wright (#27), but behind memorable characters such as Ezio (#10), Commander Shepard (#12), Kratos (#7) and Master Chief (#4).
In case you were wondering, 1st place went to GLaDOS, followed by John Marston of Red Dead Redemtion is 2nd and Nathan Drake in 3rd.
That's all for sports.:smalltongue:

Mecharious
2010-11-15, 09:37 PM
I always thought of Auron as the exposition fairy.

And GLaDOS? Seriously?

Creed
2010-11-15, 09:56 PM
I always thought of Auron as the exposition fairy.

And GLaDOS? Seriously?

Yeah. Auron has more personality and story structure in his badass little finger than GLaDOS has in her/it's whole.... system?:smalltongue::smallconfused:

But I still think Cloud has set the tone for a generation of oddly effeminate male leads wielding weapons so large you have no question that they are compensating for something.
Except Snow. He's just Snow.:smalltongue:

Dust
2010-11-15, 10:12 PM
Fun fact. Basch fon Ronsenburg (http://videogamesheaven.net/pictures-final-fantasy-xii-characters-basch008.jpg) was going to be the main character of FFXIII. They later realized he was TOO FREAKIN' MANLY and replaced him with Vaan (http://www.galbadiax.com/ff12/images/vaan.jpg) at the last minute. The entire political story of (EDIT!) twelve makes infinitely more sense when you understand this.

Mecharious
2010-11-15, 10:32 PM
Fun fact. Basch fon Ronsenburg (http://videogamesheaven.net/pictures-final-fantasy-xii-characters-basch008.jpg) was going to be the main character of FFXIII. They later realized he was TOO FREAKIN' MANLY and replaced him with Vaan (http://www.galbadiax.com/ff12/images/vaan.jpg) at the last minute. The entire political story of thirteen makes infinitely more sense when you understand this.

I think you mean 12 :smallsmile:

Yeah, I liked him a whole lot more than Vaan... and he was a lot more relevant.

Temotei
2010-11-15, 11:03 PM
Fun fact. Basch fon Ronsenburg (http://videogamesheaven.net/pictures-final-fantasy-xii-characters-basch008.jpg) was going to be the main character of FFXIII. They later realized he was TOO FREAKIN' MANLY and replaced him with Vaan (http://www.galbadiax.com/ff12/images/vaan.jpg) at the last minute. The entire political story of (EDIT!) twelve makes infinitely more sense when you understand this.

I think you mean 12 :smallsmile:

Yeah, I liked him a whole lot more than Vaan... and he was a lot more relevant.

Indeed. I had just learned that two days ago. It makes me somewhat sad that they didn't make it so.

Balthier would have made a cool main character, too, but he's probably better as the side-man who calls himself the leading man.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-16, 05:07 AM

I already knew this, and when I mentioned it to the gf she went berserk because she loves 12 but absolutely loathes Vaan.

UserShadow7989
2010-11-16, 03:55 PM
I already knew this, and when I mentioned it to the gf she went berserk because she loves 12 but absolutely loathes Vaan.

Which is ironic since they made Vaan to attract the fan girls to the game, since they figured Basch wasn't Bishonen enough.

Mecharious
2010-11-16, 05:06 PM
I guess Basch was just too much man to handle.

Heh, we're getting a bit off-topic

Creed
2010-11-16, 05:19 PM
Yes, we are off-topic.
Now let's worship Dust organizedly.
*bows before creator of awesome FF2D6!*

DualShadow
2010-11-16, 07:29 PM
I have a question concerning Limit Breaks,

It says that the Attack(Physical) can be initiated at medium range regardless of the weapon, now let say I do a limit break with that component against a target at medium range do I end the attack right next to the target or at the same spot I started it?

Taking in account that the Limit Break is in all its fluffyness something that is done in melee such as a powerful over head slam or something.

Dust
2010-11-16, 07:38 PM
the same spot I started it
This. Doesn't make a lot of sense sometimes, but simplicity's sake.

DualShadow
2010-11-16, 07:51 PM
This. Doesn't make a lot of sense sometimes, but simplicity's sake.

Dont worry about sense. The way you build the system is more like a game than a "simulation" like dungeon and dragons. (Its what I love about your system)

Creed
2010-11-16, 08:56 PM
Dont worry about sense. The way you build the system is more like a game than a "simulation" like dungeon and dragons. (Its what I love about your system)

I just realized how true this is!

Mecharious
2010-11-16, 11:22 PM
And I added the link to this thread in my sig. I doubt people read sigs much, but I'm happy to promote this!

DualShadow
2010-11-16, 11:41 PM
Well I for one, am a conpulsive sig reader, soo much good Homebrew is usually posted in them.

Dust
2010-11-17, 12:53 AM
And I added the link to this thread in my sig. I doubt people read sigs much, but I'm happy to promote this!
I'm flattered! Also, I think you missed an 'N' :smalltongue:

Fearan
2010-11-17, 07:57 AM
Got a question about weapon properties. Why do you need negative auto and SOS status? Don't sure that somebody would actually want something with auto-poison, or SOS-zombie on it

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-17, 07:59 AM
That's so the GM can make 'cursed' weapons, one assumes.

Say, a weapon that comes with one good property but inflicts Auto-Berserk or something.

Mecharious
2010-11-17, 10:38 AM
Got a question about weapon properties. Why do you need negative auto and SOS status? Don't sure that somebody would actually want something with auto-poison, or SOS-zombie on it

Auto-poison would actually benefit a fighter who put a lot of points into that ability that increases your damage when you have a negative status effect.

IcarusWings
2010-11-17, 12:20 PM
Auto-poison would actually benefit a fighter who put a lot of points into that ability that increases your damage when you have a negative status effect.

I though auto-bad status effect just automatically gave enemies you hit, that status. And then auto-good status effect applies it to you?

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-17, 12:22 PM
That's not right at all.

Weapons that give enemies a status are something else that I don't remember the name of.

Zansumkai
2010-11-17, 01:24 PM
Just wanted to say very nice work Dust, the whole system has really got me jazzed about Final Fantasy again :smallsmile: So in preparing for my game (set in FF6 with the assumption that the Crystal Chronicles world is another continent on the other side of the planet. I thought they would mesh well and I needed a little more room to stretch out then the World of Balance had) I've read through a good portion of the book probably a half dozen times. I had a few assumptions on rules that seem a little fudgy. A lot of them have been addressed, but I'll throw these out.

When building monsters, a base ACC is given, but most monsters in the bestiary have secondary attacks with lower ACC then the primary. I can see this is due to the secondary usually having more damage or a status ailment, but their isn't really a formula for it. So far imposing either a -2 or halving the base ACC for really nasty ones seems to keep new monsters in line with what you've set out, but I was wondering if you has a specific formula you used. Also, I don't remember seeing any kind of damage progression for monsters as well. Not a huge issue since I'm still making level 1 and 2 critters, and I can just use the premade monsters for reference, but it would be helpful.

I was going to ask about duel-wielding as well, but it came up a few pages ago (my dilemma was also a red mage). Since that was already covered I'll mention something else I noticed. "Like players who dual-wield, monsters with Two Weapons roll 3d6 for accuracy, and keep the best two. They also add the entire 3d6 when calculating damage instead of the standard 2d6." Taken from chapter 9 'Bestiary' pg. 213. I'm guessing duel-wield went through several revisions over the course of production and this might have just been a hold over from that, but I thought I was interesting. I am actually planning on handling duel-wield somewhat similar to this, rolling 3d6 and dropping the lowest die. I think it'll play out a little smoother, even though it'll skew things in the players favor.

Lastly, I've been giving my players the following summery of duel-wielding effects for clarity. Hopefully I've got it right. Weapon effects that trigger from an action, but without a defined number of uses (Alchemy, HP Drain, Critical Attack, etc) cannot be doubled up. Weapon effects with limited uses (Piercing, Counter, etc) can be doubled for purposes of determining the number of uses per combat/session, but not used in a single attack. Passive weapon abilities (+skill, +attribute) stack without restrictions.

Anyway, just wanted to say I really do love the system. As someone who used to do a lot of role-playing in chatrooms I can see how this could fit right in for that sort of highly-descriptive, low on technicalities style of play, and it's how I'm going to run my game (even though my players live in the same apartment, haha). Again, very nice work.

Temotei
2010-11-17, 01:34 PM
Passive weapon abilities (+skill, +attribute) stack without restrictions.

Status effects probably shouldn't be able to be stacked. Make sure to note that.

Mecharious
2010-11-17, 02:07 PM
The book says stacking is up to the GM. Personally I'm against it.

Dust
2010-11-17, 02:07 PM
When building monsters, a base ACC is given, but most monsters in the bestiary have secondary attacks with lower ACC then the primary.
My initial rule of thumb was that dangerous secondary attacks only used the monster's associated attribute, and didn't add the +0/2/3 for being a Fast, Strong or Smart monster, give or take a point of accuracy depending on how deadly the attack is. In practice, actual playtesting meant stuff just got tweaked as was needed.
Enormously dangerous stuff or weaponless attacks usually wound up with a -4 to -6 penalty, but this, again, was mostly by feel.

I'm guessing duel-wield went through several revisions over the course of production and this might have just been a hold over from that, but I thought I was interesting. I am actually planning on handling duel-wield somewhat similar to this, rolling 3d6 and dropping the lowest die. I think it'll play out a little smoother, even though it'll skew things in the players favor.
You guess correctly, and thanks for pointing it out.
I highly advise against the 3d6, drop the lowest, though. We figured that out pretty quick.

Lastly, I've been giving my players the following summery of duel-wielding effects for clarity. Hopefully I've got it right. Weapon effects that trigger from an action, but without a defined number of uses (Alchemy, HP Drain, Critical Attack, etc) cannot be doubled up. Weapon effects with limited uses (Piercing, Counter, etc) can be doubled for purposes of determining the number of uses per combat/session, but not used in a single attack. Passive weapon abilities (+skill, +attribute) stack without restrictions.
Basically. I like to explain it as 'when dual-wielding, none of the weapon's special powers stack, except for the Attribute/Skill Bonus. If you're using a Blade or Brawl weapon, you can also use the associated bonuses one additional time per session.'
I'll go back and streamline this at a later date. I also have a desire to change the Improved Arsenal shared ability (and not just in name) to allow brawlers to constantly be counterattacking with fragile, improbable weapons, so maybe the change will get lumped in with that.

DualShadow
2010-11-17, 10:25 PM
I know you are taking a break Dust, but will you in the following month or so prepare a Final Fantasy game to be played out on the giantitp's forums?

If so then I want a spot in pretty plz!! I want to play with THE man that created the system.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-18, 05:49 AM
I know you are taking a break Dust, but will you in the following month or so prepare a Final Fantasy game to be played out on the giantitp's forums?

If so then I want a spot in pretty plz!! I want to play with THE man that created the system.

Anonomuss (or if they don't then Creed) should be making a game here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174130). Hang around and then make them a char when they do.

Zansumkai
2010-11-18, 06:00 AM
I highly advise against the 3d6, drop the lowest, though. We figured that out pretty quick.

Thanks for the tip, though I think I'll have to see it in action as well. I've only got my two roommates as players, plus whatever NPCs I pair with them, so I'm actually more concerned about killing them inadvertently then giving them too many advantages.

I just wrapped my first game, which went well save for the fact not a single attack or skill roll was needed, but just kicking the dust (no pun intended) off Final Fantasy was delightful :smallbiggrin:

Actually though I did recall one other thing regarding monsters. I noticed they tend to follow the same Light, Medium, Heavy armor formula that player characters do, with their average armor about 2 points lower then what a player of that level would have. Is that about right?

Temotei
2010-11-18, 06:43 PM
I just realized that you can put an Auto-KO ability on a tier 2+ item. :smallamused:

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-18, 06:44 PM
...Which promptly knocks you out as soon as you wield it.

Temotei
2010-11-18, 06:52 PM
...Which promptly knocks you out as soon as you wield it.

Exactly. :smallbiggrin:

blackmage
2010-11-19, 12:36 PM
I can't seem to download the file from the link provided. The page just says 'processing download request'. I'm able to download other stuff from mediafire...anyone else having this trouble?

This is sad. I really want to see what all the happiness is about!

Dust
2010-11-19, 01:20 PM
Odd. Luckily, it's a small file - let me know if Megaupload (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0SKF7U7F) works any better for you.

Critical
2010-11-19, 02:34 PM
Same glitch with mediafire as blackmage has, mediaupload says the file is temporarily unavailible... more mirrors, please? :smalltongue:

blackmage
2010-11-19, 02:53 PM
Try the Megaupload link again in a few minutes, I got the same thing, then just waited a couple minutes and tried again and it worked.

Fearan
2010-11-20, 02:41 PM
Got some questions here.
1) Time mages do not have their own legendary artifact. Is it intentional?
2) Freelancer+blaze of glory+switch to entertainer+entertainer legendary artifact=unlimited moments of glory?

Dust
2010-11-20, 03:47 PM
Good catches on both of those. I'll have to edit the Freelancer JA to note that it only functions if the character actually does die. Likewise, adding a Time Mage legendary accessory; no idea how I missed that.

Mecharious
2010-11-20, 09:06 PM
I already pointed out the Moment of Glory thing.

Rosetta Ring says: "When you use Moment of Glory for the standard 5 destiny..."

Adell
2010-11-21, 03:52 AM
Does this combo work?

So, I have ninjutsu tool mastery, a concealed weapon.

If I choose to Throw a shuriken on the first turn, does the sneak attack property apply to the shuriken I threw? Basically, does it go from(Dex x2)+2d6 to (Dex x4)+2d6 for the first turn?

DualShadow
2010-11-21, 12:42 PM
The Blue Mage can only leanr spell that are casted upon himself by the monster with the exeption of the job ability Oberserve, so he can only learn Pollen froma killer bee if he have observe?

Dust
2010-11-21, 02:25 PM
The Black Market goods don't classify themselves as normal weapons, and thus don't have actual weapon categories and properties such as Concealed.

DualShadow, that is correct. Without Observe, the Blue Mage will probably only learn agressive, offensive magic.

Mecharious
2010-11-21, 03:11 PM
Unless you get lucky with confuse, of course.

Also, Dust, are megalixers subject to the same restrictions as an elixir (only can be received 1/session)? The asterisk is only on the elixir description.

Dust
2010-11-21, 03:22 PM
Or tricksy with Reflect.

I didn't ever anticipate them to be common enough to apply the same restriction. I'd say no simply because it probably won't come up, but GM's call.

Adell
2010-11-21, 06:32 PM
In the description of throw, it says that it counts as an ordinary attack and for an ordinary attack, the concealed weapon i have equipped would give me sneak attack. so I dunno what happens there.

Mecharious
2010-11-21, 06:33 PM
I could see it coming up. I mean, having a megalixir and a regular elixir isn't too far-fetched.

Which makes me wonder how a megalixer is different from an elixer. Does the liquid shoot out of the bottle and auto-aim for your ally's mouths? :smallconfused:

This is why I love Final Fantasy

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-21, 06:58 PM
I could see it coming up. I mean, having a megalixir and a regular elixir isn't too far-fetched.

Which makes me wonder how a megalixer is different from an elixer. Does the liquid shoot out of the bottle and auto-aim for your ally's mouths? :smallconfused:

This is why I love Final Fantasy

It reacts in your body and exudes a magical pulse that only affects those you consider allies. Meaning Megalixers are psychic and can read your mind.

Dust
2010-11-21, 07:07 PM
In the description of throw, it says that it counts as an ordinary attack and for an ordinary attack, the concealed weapon i have equipped would give me sneak attack. so I dunno what happens there.
Oh, pardon me. Yes - if you have a concealed weapon equipped, like a dagger or something, the bonus applies to your first attack of combat regardless. So yes, in that situaton, a thrown attack with Ninjutsu Tool Mastery would deal (DEX x 4) points of damage. :smallbiggrin:

Adell
2010-11-21, 07:12 PM
Ok excellent. First monster I see is gonna feel ~45 hurt points :D

Temotei
2010-11-21, 10:40 PM
Does it say anywhere exactly how to make an attribute check? I haven't found it. I'm basically assuming here that you use your attribute rating modified by 2d6 to make the check.

Adell
2010-11-21, 11:31 PM
I'm pretty sure that's how it works. It wouldn't make sense any other way.

Temotei
2010-11-21, 11:33 PM
I'm pretty sure that's how it works. It wouldn't make sense any other way.

Still, it would be nice to have it down in the Attributes section.

Also, Crimson Seal should be worded so that it's not permanent. :smalltongue:

Shinryu's SPR rating should be 14, not 24.