PDA

View Full Version : Suicide Hoax

Pages : [1] 2

The Giant
2010-10-30, 01:48 AM
After examining information both from our own forum database and various external websites (and offline sources), the moderation staff of Giant in the Playground has determined to our satisfaction that the reported suicide of GITP poster zenanarchist was, in fact, part of an elaborate hoax. We do not know, at this time, to what end.

However, we have made enough different connections to know that zenanarchist, ScionOfBlades (the poster who reported the suicide), and RaptorRider (the poster who recently claimed to be the "real" person displayed in photos posted by zenanarchist) are all the same person, all using the same computer (sometimes within seconds of one another). Other aliases on this site include BladedWarlord, -Baldur-, WorldWalker, Octopus Garden and DocRock. We know the poster's real name, address, current employer, and most importantly, that he is still alive. We have no knowledge regarding the alleged death of his fiancé at this time.

All related accounts are being banned, and steps are being taken to prevent this individual from ever participating in the Giant in the Playground message board again. At this time, we cannot reveal all of the methods used to make these determinations, but I want to personally assure you that we would not be making this announcement if we were not absolutely certain.

And on a personal note, I'd like to apologize for not getting this removed sooner, but certain key pieces of evidence did not come to light until now.

Gullara
2010-10-30, 01:52 AM
That's terrible.

:smallyuk::smallfurious::smallmad::smallannoyed:

None of these really match what I'm feeling right now.

arguskos
2010-10-30, 01:52 AM
I am... disappointed. Not in your fine work, obviously, but in the individual in question.

Thank you for what was done here. I, and we as a community, truly appreciate it.

To whomever you are, I truly hope you're ashamed. You have abused our emotions, and you have ruined what could have been excellent friendships. You are a shameful individual. I look forward to you getting what you so richly deserve.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-30, 01:53 AM
Things like this... Just no.

Skeppio
2010-10-30, 01:55 AM
Anger......raaaaggeee.........

Words cannot express my fury. :furious:

.....but a wise woman told me. Even in the heat of this, please people...do not forget the unity we had. Do not forget the moment where we all came together. It's times like these that define our community. The bond we share. Words cannot express my anger at this hoax, but neither can they express how proud I am of all of you. Thank you all.

Lycan 01
2010-10-30, 01:56 AM
I'm not entirely sure what to say right now.

What I will say, though, is thank you. Thanks to the Giant and the Admin & Mod team for going to whatever lengths were needed to uncover this information, and ensure that the Playground knew the truth.

And even if it was a hoax, we still learned something. We learned that in times of tragedy, no matter their severity or truthfulness, the Playground can come together as a community. We may have been subjected to a cruel hoax, but it still showed how much we cared about each other, and how strong a bond we share.

As I said, it was a cruel hoax. But, at least we learned some things about ourselves, and each other. Once again, thanks to the Giant, the Admins, and the Mods for getting this all sorted out.

Serpentine
2010-10-30, 01:57 AM
Well. That's a relief...

But what a pain in the rearendium for the people playing games with that guy :smallannoyed:

Well done Mods and Giant. I wish I'd seen the last bunch of posts to see what the clues were...

arguskos
2010-10-30, 01:59 AM
Well. That's a relief...

But what a pain in the rearendium for the people playing games with that guy :smallannoyed:

Well done Mods and Giant. I wish I'd seen the last bunch of posts to see what the clues were...
And the sad part? In the games we played with him, he was a good contributor. :smallsigh: There was talent there, caring and good nature, wasted, on something foolish such as this. Shameful, it is.

Lycan 01
2010-10-30, 01:59 AM
I saw them. But I don't know if I'd be allowed to talk about them... :smallconfused:

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-30, 02:02 AM
This would explan why nothing could be found on the news about a car crash death or a local suicide, (Yes I found out his name and looked it up)

Marnath
2010-10-30, 02:03 AM
I saw them. But I don't know if I'd be allowed to talk about them... :smallconfused:

I'm guessing no.

This is just...beyond my understanding. Who does something like that?

Mr. Moon
2010-10-30, 02:03 AM
Second.
Goddamn.
Time.
:smallfurious:

What a malicious, cruel hearted, horrible...
Rage.

PersonMan
2010-10-30, 02:04 AM
Hmmm. I could be angry, and it sort of feels like I should, but...all I can feel is relief. Learning that someone who supposedly died actually didn't sort of overshadows whatever feelings I have on the other parts of the event.

I have no idea why anyone would do this, and I'm more confused than angry at the moment. I have some ideas on why this would be done, but...well, I'll probably never really find out.

Gullara
2010-10-30, 02:05 AM
Hmmm. I could be angry, and it sort of feels like I should, but...all I can feel is relief. Learning that someone who supposedly died actually didn't sort of overshadows whatever feelings I have on the other parts of the event.

I have no idea why anyone would do this, and I'm more confused than angry at the moment. I have some ideas on why this would be done, but...well, I'll probably never really find out.

That's probably a good way of looking at it. As soon as the rage subsides that is.

Marnath
Second.
Goddamn.
Time.
:smallfurious:

What a malicious, cruel hearted, horrible...
Rage.

You mean something like this has happened before? Shameful.

KingOfLaughter
If he only ever posted one picture then I have something everyone will probably find interesting.

http://www.suite101.com/profile.cfm/716326

Savannah
2010-10-30, 02:06 AM
And the sad part? In the games we played with him, he was a good contributor. :smallsigh: There was talent there, caring and good nature, wasted, on something foolish such as this. Shameful, it is.

That is exactly what I was going to say.

The worst bit? More than anything else, I'm happy he's not dead.....:smallsigh:

The Giant
2010-10-30, 02:07 AM
We'd also like to ask that posters not use their signatures to comment on these events, or to let them spill over into other discussions beyond a link back here. Keep it all in this thread, please.

factotum
2010-10-30, 02:08 AM
Maybe I'm just naturally suspicious, but something struck me as off about that announcement to start with, which is why I didn't comment in the thread. It's kind of sad that being on the Internet for 15 years has naturally made me suspect things like this, but with people like that around, I guess it isn't going to change anytime soon... :smallmad:

Marnath
2010-10-30, 02:09 AM
If he only ever posted one picture then I have something everyone will probably find interesting.

You shouldn't really post that link, it just gives him attention which is probably what this was about.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-30, 02:10 AM
I'm just thinking that he could have stolen the name photo and details. But in a plea like this it has to be attention.

Jarian
2010-10-30, 02:11 AM
I think something's wrong with me. I couldn't bring myself to comment in the other threads because I couldn't actually believe that it happened. Not in a "Oh my God no!" sort of way, but a "Something's fishy..." way.

And now, I don't feel the rage or betrayal that others do, but rather a sort of pity for Zen (or whatever you want to call him). To have such a need for attention that you'd put an entire internet community into mourning for your fake suicide...

More than anything, I guess I'm sorry for him.

Mr. Moon
2010-10-30, 02:12 AM
Well then.
I got up, walked a bit...
You know what?
I'm not angry. Well, yes. I'm angry. I'm furious.
But that doesn't matter because my God I am proud of my playground. He hurt us, yes, but we proved, together, just how strong and caring a community we are. I'm actually a little giddy. I think that could be stress or shock but I don't care.

I love you guys. Keep on being awesome.

We'd also like to ask that posters not use their signatures to comment on these events, or to let them spill over into other discussions beyond a link back here. Keep it all in this thread, please.

o.o
Yessir.

Admiral Squish
2010-10-30, 02:13 AM
..What? Seriously? Just... What? Why? Who would...?

I have no words for this. I am dissapointed. I am angry. I pity this man, for this is the length he must go to to validate his existence.

Lioness
2010-10-30, 02:13 AM
:smallfrown:

:mad:

How...low. I'm not mad mad, but I'm finding it hard to believe that he could do that...

The Giant
2010-10-30, 02:14 AM
I'm just thinking that he could have stolen the name photo and details.

Suffice to say we have confirmed that no one has stolen anyone's photos or details. It's one person, who then struggled to cover up his deception with a number of provably false statements both here and elsewhere.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-30, 02:14 AM
Well then.
I got up, walked a bit...
You know what?
I'm not angry. Well, yes. I'm angry. I'm furious.
But that doesn't matter because my God I am proud of my playground. He hurt us, yes, but we proved, together, just how strong and caring a community we are. I'm actually a little giddy. I think that could be stress or shock but I don't care.

I love you guys. Keep on being awesome.

AYE! *Raises a glass* To what we can do in the face of hardships! We are not a gathering of strangers but a family of like minded individuals!

To Giant.
I'm an overthinker. I just happened across that looking for news on the deaths. This explains why I found none.

Serpentine
2010-10-30, 02:15 AM
Suffice to say we have confirmed that no one has stolen anyone's photos or details. It's one person, who then struggled to cover up his deception with a number of provably false statements both here and elsewhere.Wait... Do you mean that is his own picture? :smallconfused: If so, man, if this were 4chan...

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-30, 02:17 AM
I'll be honest: it might be the series of mild breakdowns these events has caused me, but I am kind of impressed by the whole hoax. At this point, I am optimistic enough to realize that individual humans are not representative of the whole, and pessimistic enough to actually expect such a thing and not be fazed by it.

This has been like watching a train wreck: so horrible, yet so alluring at the same time.

Lycan 01
2010-10-30, 02:18 AM
So no clarification on what happened to his fiance? Judging from what KingRyan said about there not being any reported wrecks or fatalities, and the fact that the whole suicide thing was a massive hoax, I suppose we can assume nothing bad happened to her, either.

Or would that be unwise?

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-30, 02:20 AM
Suffice to say we have confirmed that no one has stolen anyone's photos or details. It's one person, who then struggled to cover up his deception with a number of provably false statements both here and elsewhere.

Yea well, when you look at the similarities now it seems to slap you in teh face.

Evidence
Scion joined right before the hoax.
His name was also Matt.
Name ScionOfBlades (Just call me Scion...or Matt)

Scrub anything, out of line

Aron Times
2010-10-30, 02:21 AM
Wow, I never knew about this until I saw the Giant's post with the triangular warning sign. When did this hoax start? Are the threads still up, or have they been deleted?

Marnath

That's....like stealing the principle's lunch. You can't possibly expect it'll turn out well. How could anyone expect to deceive a person who has all their contact info? o.o

Serpentine
Don't worry, they will :smallwink:

Just wanna say, thank you to the Giant for not shutting this thing down like any other banning, but rather giving us a place to vent and discuss the event. It's much appreciated, thanks.

The Giant
2010-10-30, 02:22 AM
So no clarification on what happened to his fiance? Judging from what KingRyan said about there not being any reported wrecks or fatalities, I suppose we can assume nothing bad happened to her, either. That's good to hear...

We have no evidence one way or the other; indeed, we found no evidence that the woman in the photo is even his fiancé.

I will say that we also found no documented auto accidents in the region and timeframe indicated, but our failure to locate them is not conclusive evidence that they did not happen.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-30, 02:23 AM
We have no evidence one way or the other; indeed, we found no evidence that the woman in the photo is even his fiancé.

I will say that we also found no documented auto accidents in the region and timeframe indicated, but our failure to locate them is not conclusive evidence that they did not happen.

Knowing the news, the suicide they could have kept out for a day max, but the crash would have come up that day.

Marnath
2010-10-30, 02:26 AM
Wow, I never knew about this until I saw the Giant's post with the triangular warning sign. When did this hoax start? Are the threads still up, or have they been deleted?

Early this morning. The threads are gone.

Valameer
2010-10-30, 02:26 AM
I'm not really mad, all things considered.

I've lurked on tons of forums over the years. I didn't know what compelled me to finally sign up on these boards and retire my lurking ways. It was je ne sais quoi... until tonight.

After seeing the immense support brought forth on these forums to a member not everyone knew - the heartfelt feelings of a close-knit community. The beautiful poetry. The amazing words and feelings shared. It's moving. It's wonderful. I don't care how dumb the circumstances were that brought this out.

You guys should be proud of what you have here. You've made this little corner of the web a vibrant, wonderful community.

I sincerely hope no one feels too jaded over this. For me, after reading (and believing) the hoax, I looked at my wife and daughter in a new light tonight. Could I lose them, just as easily as [fake-o didn't] lose his? It made me really appreciate them, and realise how much they mean to me.

So tonight, for me, was special. I played with my wife and daughter like a guy with a new lease on life. We laughed 'til we cried. And I got to see what a wonderful bunch of people you all are. You cared - and not everyone does anymore.

Hats off to you, Playground! I hope I'll be sticking around to get to know the lot of ya. :smallsmile: This is truly a wonderful little place you have here.

Innis Cabal
2010-10-30, 02:27 AM
The actual hoax started a few days ago when it was posted he killed himself. I honestly stopped reading the thread after a day so I never saw how it started to get fishy.

Lycan 01
Suicides are rarely covered by the public media. Respect for the family and whatnot. A car wreck though, especially one with fatalities, would likely be covered by most local news network. So... I guess its hard to say what the truth behind the fiance story is. We'll probably never know 100% for sure.

Savannah
Besides, it's highly unlikely that someone whose fiance just died would pull a prank like this. That was no doubt his starting move.

*checks emotions* Nope, still happy he's alive. And sad that someone who could be nice enough that I like him this much could stoop this low.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-30, 02:28 AM
I'm not really mad, all things considered.

I've lurked on tons of forums over the years. I didn't know what compelled me to finally sign up on these boards and retire my lurking ways. It was je ne sais quoi... until tonight.

After seeing the immense support brought forth on these forums to a member not everyone knew - the heartfelt feelings of a close-knit community. The beautiful poetry. The amazing words and feelings shared. It's moving. It's wonderful. I don't care how dumb the circumstances were that brought this out.

You guys should be proud of what you have here. You've made this little corner of the web a vibrant, wonderful community.

I sincerely hope no one feels too jaded over this. For me, after reading (and believing) the hoax, I looked at my wife and daughter in a new light tonight. Could I lose them, just as easily as [fake-o didn't] lose his? It made me really appreciate them, and realise how much they mean to me.

So tonight, for me, was special. I played with my wife and daughter like a guy with a new lease on life. We laughed 'til we cried. And I got to see what a wonderful bunch of people you all are. You cared - and not everyone does anymore.

Hats off to you, Playground! I hope I'll be sticking around to get to know the lot of ya. :smallsmile: This is truly a wonderful little place you have here.

Well. We're proud of our familyishness, but annoyed someone would take advantage of us like this. Also, come play games with us now! *evil smirk*

Serpentine
2010-10-30, 02:29 AM
And then pretend to be de- No wait, don't do that :smallannoyed:

Marnath
The actual hoax started a few days ago when it was posted he killed himself. I honestly stopped reading the thread after a day so I never saw how it started to get fishy.

I coulda sworn that was posted this morning? :smallconfused:

Maybe I'm going crazy. O.o

KingOfLaughter
And then pretend to be de- No wait, don't do that :smallannoyed:

lmao, that made me laugh hard. *props*

Gullara
2010-10-30, 02:30 AM
I coulda sworn that was posted this morning? :smallconfused:

Maybe I'm going crazy. O.o

On the 28th actually.

Icewalker
2010-10-30, 02:31 AM
I don't really do anger...mostly I have two reactions to this (I saw the threads when they went up, then were locked silently, causing quite a measure of concern and confusion, and so forth...)

First reaction is pride in the Playground. Two things, first off, the incredible, incredible community we have here. Secondly, the incredible effectiveness and efficiency of the Giant and the moderating staff at not only figuring all this out, but not doing it silently, keeping a hold on the situation, and resolving it within a very short time, and leaving us this to discuss the topic (which I think shows a lot of justified respect for what the community is capable of safely discussing). So, just a massive thanks to everybody here for being so amazing, and an even more massive thanks to our moderating staff and friendly Giant.

Second reaction is curiosity. Psychology! I wonder why he did it, simply because it is such an odd thing to do. What psychological irregularity might lead to such a thing. Likely something centered around attention. I tend to get analytical when I run into something like this, and it certainly makes me quite curious.

Serpentine
2010-10-30, 02:31 AM
Anyway, here's to Hexa_Regina and nuts to that guy!

...unless Hexa was a fake too. Which would explain why that account's closed. In which case nuts to her too. But not if not.

Mr. Moon
2010-10-30, 02:32 AM
*snip*

Thanks, Lyceios, for bringing this to our light. I owe you an apology - when I first saw your post, I was really angry at you, thinking you were trolling. I thought "What the hell. How convenient is that? What kind of person would do that?"

I'm really glad to know I was completely wrong about you. :smallsmile: Welcome to the Playground, it's always nice to meet the lurkers. Come play with us, yes, I look forward to being your friend.
Forever and ever and eeeveeer. =3

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-30, 02:34 AM
Thanks, Lyceios, for bringing this to our light. I owe you an apology - when I first saw your post, I was really angry at you, thinking you were trolling. I thought "What the hell. How convenient is that? What kind of person would do that?"

I'm really glad to know I was completely wrong about you. :smallsmile: Welcome to the Playground, it's always nice to meet the lurkers. Come play with us, yes, I look forward to being your friend.
Forever and ever and eeeveeer. =3

*In a childish voice* and ever. *MUHAHAHAHA* I mean yes please theres always room!

Marnath
2010-10-30, 02:39 AM
Anyway, here's to Hexa_Regina and nuts to that guy!

...unless Hexa was a fake too. Which would explain why that account's closed. In which case nuts to her too. But not if not.

I am unfamiliar with this phrase. o.o

Mr. Moon
2010-10-30, 02:40 AM

Means he can go do rude things to himself.
Preferably with something sandpapery! :smallbiggrin:

Lioness
2010-10-30, 02:40 AM

Australian colloquialisms...basically "Never mind them"

EDIT: Moon_Called captures the mood behind it quite nicely

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-30, 02:41 AM
Oww... I'm going to avoid pissing off the Australians okay?

PersonMan
2010-10-30, 02:41 AM
At first I thought that his fiance died and Zen had done this to make himself better or something...but with more stuff coming to light, I'm beginning to realize that this may have been a larger-scale deception. And I'm curious. Sort of like how after the DDR fell people went to see the government records on them, if it turns out that this was a big, elaborate thing planned out months in advance...I mean, it's impressive. Even if you're the butt of something like this, you have to think of what it would take to set this all up.

Marnath
2010-10-30, 02:42 AM

O.O

It hurts just to visualize it!

Mr. Moon
2010-10-30, 02:42 AM

Probably for the best.
*nodnod*

Rowsen
2010-10-30, 02:43 AM
Even if you're the butt of something like this, you have to think of what it would take to set this all up.

About 30 minutes of thought, a lot of patience and no soul?

Gullara
2010-10-30, 02:43 AM
Probably for the best.
*nodnod*

But you're from Canada:smalltongue:

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-30, 02:44 AM

True in our vast northern wilderness I'd survive. Hmm. *Evil laugh* Hey RPG need a winter job?

Cobra_Ikari
2010-10-30, 02:45 AM
Still, watch out! Moonie is fierce! =O

=P *snuggles*

Mr. Moon

Shhh! Don't tell him! D=

Also, on a side note, RPGs, I'm sooooo glad to be using your avatar again. Props to 'Ruki again, though. His was beautiful, especially considering it took him less than an hour to make for me. :smallsmile:

KingOfLaughter

=P *snuggles*

We'd end up hugging each other and laughing then taking over the world.

Who are you snuggling? *upside down confused face*

Wait moons from Canada too. This complicates everything

golentan
2010-10-30, 02:46 AM
I knew something seemed wrong with those stories, but didn't want to say anything if my gut was wrong and I'd be stepping on someone's personal tragedy. I'm glad nobody's dead. And I'm also glad he's not on the forum anymore. That's all I've got.

Mr. Moon
2010-10-30, 02:47 AM

=P *snuggles*

Rawr. ^^ *snuggles*

<<
>>
*snuggles King Ryan too* ^^

Gaiyamato
2010-10-30, 02:47 AM
Man I was actually starting to like Doc.
I was in an rpg that involved multiple multiple of his alias'.

o_O

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-30, 02:48 AM
Rawr. ^^ *snuggles*

<<
>>
*snuggles King Ryan too* ^^

YAY! I'M ACCEPTED! =D *snuggles for everyone who wants one*

Lillith
2010-10-30, 02:50 AM
Meh, can't really be mad. I don't know the guy. I have met others who threatened with suicide as a cry for attention (yes, they were perfectly fine it really was just attention calling). So I guess I'm a bit desensitized.

Thank you the Giant and the staff for the investigation and hard work they did to uncover the truth. And thank you Giantitp to be such a tight community. :smallsmile:

Now out of curiosity, was the hoax researched from the start or did the guy say something fishy that cause the investigation? It's okay if that information is confidential but I'm curious and it all happened when I was away.

The Giant
2010-10-30, 02:51 AM
There's a thread for Random Banter, people. If you don't have anything else to say here, leave this thread alone so that anyone else who needs to express themselves about this can do so.

Now out of curiosity, was the hoax researched from the start or did the guy say something fishy that cause the investigation?

It was investigated from the beginning, and all of our current moderators and administrators participated. (Incidentally, I was the hold-out; most of them were convinced as of midday today, but I insisted that we wait for a smoking gun, which we located to my satisfaction tonight.)

Gullara
EDIT: ^ Sorry

True in our vast northern wilderness I'd survive. Hmm. *Evil laugh* Hey RPG need a winter job?

I don't even want to know what that entails.

Valameer
I was too shy to post in the 'hello' thread when I first signed up :smalltongue:

So, thanks everyone! :smallsmile:

Moon_Called, don't worry, I get mad at myself when I write my posts all the time. Brain and fingers, not co-operating! Looks so tacky! Ugh...

My posts are awesome in my head though, you gotta believe me!

I don't think Hexa was a fake, so we should have a real thread for her. But I'm apparently really naive since I bought that other guy's story hook-line-and-sinker.

Anyway, never change, Playground! Even you creepy... folk... AAH! *runs*

EDIT: Err. Sorry, Big G. I'm out.

are you certain that at least one of the accounts wasnt stolen after its creation (and possible abandonment, either in the long term or for a vacation or something?)

also was help recommend for the individual who did all the fakery? he would have to be pretty ****ed up to put that much time into something like this, and you have to ask why.

Roc Ness
2010-10-30, 02:55 AM

Seconded. I still feel sorry for Zenanarchist. :smallfrown:

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-30, 02:58 AM
It was investigated from the beginning, and all of our current moderators and administrators participated. (Incidentally, I was the hold-out; most of them were convinced as of midday today, but I insisted that we wait for a smoking gun, which we located to my satisfaction tonight.)

Would it be at all possible that when it seems the correct time to release to us. Your findings?

Rockphed
2010-10-30, 03:51 AM

Thus confirming my long held suspicions that the moderative team was hierachied by awesome with you at the top.

As to the origin of this thread, I feel sorry for somebody who felt that the only way they could get attention and sympathy from the playground was by faking their own death by suicide. Thinking back to all the people who have come to the playground with problems only to be helped, counseled, or nurtured by the community, I am awed by the sheer good accomplished. Visiting the Playground pretty much always restores my faith that people are basically good.

Thank you playground. Thank you, especially, the people who make it possible, meaning The Giant and the gaggle of Mods.

Altaria87
2010-10-30, 03:55 AM
Hehe, to me it shows that post was 'Today: 8:51' due to different time zones, so it looks like you found this out in the future!

Anyway, in all seriousness, I was suspicious, if only because, many years ago I had done something similar (but much lower scale, it was just on a forum that was occupied by a few of my friends, and I was simply pretending to be other people, not going this far), so I kinda knew how somehting of the sort was done. But like many others, I'm not particularly angry, there's no point in getting angry over a single attention seeker ont he interwebs. But I join the others in feeling very proud of this community as a whole :smallsmile:.

drakir_nosslin
2010-10-30, 03:59 AM
Wow... That's a lot of posts from one single person, impressive. Oh well, it's better this way, no one died.

Anyway, a great thank you! to the Giant and the moderators who care for these fora with such dedication! Without you guys this place wouldn't be as awesome as it is!

Also, to the playgrounders; You have shown that this place is more than the average forum. You care, which is rare to see on the internet. You should be proud of yourselves!

Mystic Muse
2010-10-30, 04:04 AM
Would it be at all possible that when it seems the correct time to release to us. Your findings?

That doesn't sound like information they can just give out. I might be wrong though.

Yeah, this doesn't make me mad, it just makes me sad that somebody would do something like that.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-10-30, 04:12 AM
I am truly and honestly gladdened by this news. Not the fact that the hoaxer is alive (although that is nice) but that the mods and admins have such clear and well organised priorities.

Morph Bark
2010-10-30, 04:20 AM
Ah, now I get why I didn't spot the thread I posted. It wasn't solely for zenanarchist though - hoax though it may have been, but I understand it if it's not the kind of discussions that are wanted on this forum.

...wait, are threads (or even posts) regarding the passing of a member allowed on this forum - as long as they are not hoaxes?

The Giant
2010-10-30, 04:21 AM

No. Revealing our methods would compromise our ability to use the same methods in future cases. All I can say is that all the information that we gathered, we gathered through legal means.

Comet
2010-10-30, 04:22 AM
Well, this is just all kinds of ridiculous. I can honestly say that I lol'd, which I haven't done in a good while.

Maybe we can now stop talking about dead people for a while and focus on the fact that we are all alive and happy, yeah? You guys are still awesome, though. When someone needs a word of comfort, this board charges into the fray and shoots out those words in rapid fire for however long it takes. That's just pure determination. Determination to bring on the happeehs.

edit: oh, and hats off to our Detective Staff for sorting this out!

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-30, 04:31 AM
No. Revealing our methods would compromise our ability to use the same methods in future cases. All I can say is that all the information that we gathered, we gathered through legal means.

I meant what not how. But if you chose to contain this it is your doing.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-10-30, 04:34 AM
I meant what not how. But if you chose to contain this it is your doing.From the What they could infer the How.

Temotei
2010-10-30, 05:00 AM
Dude...that's not fair. :smallsigh:

I'll admit that I felt suspicious of BladedWarlord or whatever when he just appeared in our in-character thread not long after Zen said he had lost his fiancé. Then DocRock sent a message to me about seeing Bladed on other sites and him being unreliable...hm. I trusted Zen (the one with the avatar I made for no reason...) through that, though.

I really liked him. This really hurts. I'm glad he's not dead.

I wonder if he had a fiancé, or if that was a lie, too. And a future kid.

So many questions: Did his dad really die of cancer? Why would anyone ever do this? Why am I up this late?

:smallsigh:

Poor man. I hope he becomes more stable in the future.

I'm proud of us, by the way. We're awesome. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2010-10-30, 05:04 AM
You know what, though. Pretending to be multiple people and that one of those people has died is stupid, insensitive and various other things. But pretending to be someone who actually cares, and posting something touching and heartfelt in a thread for mental health support to a person thinking about committing suicide, and then pretending to commit suicide... That is just messed up in the head.

Temotei
2010-10-30, 05:10 AM
You know what, though. Pretending to be multiple people and that one of those people has died is stupid, insensitive and various other things. But pretending to be someone who actually cares, and posting something touching and heartfelt in a thread for mental health support to a person thinking about committing suicide, and then pretending to commit suicide... That is just messed up in the head.

I'm thinking he was bipolar and various sorts of crazy, with a nice mix of chaotic traits, and possibly a sprinkle of evil, though that's up in the air.

Seriously, though, I think he meant what he said in that thread. I think he really did enjoy creating D&D homebrew, as he did enjoy the game itself. Unfortunately, he apparently had an agenda aside from the game and chat. :smallsigh:

It hurts to lose someone you care about, even if it turns out they're crazy, insensitive jerkwads.

Serpentine
2010-10-30, 05:17 AM
So apparently, it's nuts to* Hexa_Regina, too :smallsigh:

*basically the same as "screw you" in intent.

horngeek
2010-10-30, 05:18 AM
Firstly, crud, that's low.

Second, am I correct in assuming this thread is essentially damage control/allowing people to vent here so they don't do it elsewhere and get banned?

This is a good idea. Otherwise, we'll sic our pet crocodiles on you. :smallamused:

Lev
2010-10-30, 05:23 AM
He wanted attention pretty bad huh.
[/attention]

Quincunx
2010-10-30, 05:41 AM
That is some impressive, thorough, and thoughtful research there. He had time to think better about posting it and we had time to think the better of him. Thank you for the hours put in to hopefully convince this guy that we're not the playground for that sort of game. . .and yes, thank you for disclosure and letting us vent.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-30, 05:42 AM
Oh look, my conviction that anyone posting to say their friend, who just happens to also post on the same forum, killed themselves is lying. It's strengthening.

This is, what, the fifth time I've seen someone try to pull this? Good lord.

I actually liked that bastard, too.

Serpentine
2010-10-30, 05:43 AM
Who're the others?

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-30, 05:47 AM
Not this forum. I've frequented a lot of forums with attention whores in the past.

It happened on Something Awful at least twice, but I don't remember the details.

absolmorph
2010-10-30, 05:49 AM
It's things like these that make me wonder if my determination to believe in the good inside of people is in vain.
It's just... Why? While I understand the pleasure that can be derived from manipulating people's feelings, claiming you committed suicide is...
Well, pretty bad on several levels.

While I'm glad that, as far as has been seen as-of-yet, no death was actually involved, I'm... Disappointed, I guess... in zenanarchist, for trying to pull this.

happyturtle
2010-10-30, 06:00 AM
A lot of people in this thread are better people than I am for being more relieved than angry.

I'm furious. I didn't know the guy and didn't have anything to say about his "death" at the time, but plenty of people I care about were hurt by his trolling, and that really really pisses me off.

Thank you mods for catching it, telling us, and giving us a place to vent about it.

And... yeah. That concludes the forum appropriate part of my reaction... :smallfurious:

Eldpollard
2010-10-30, 06:04 AM

Is it? Sorry, I can't work out why you think Hexa_Regina was faked.

I wasn't aware of this hoax at all, in general I post far less than I used to, but I do recognise some of the names. My main thought when I read about it was relief that no one had actually died, now I'm left wondering why? I wonder if it was a malicious attempt to hurt as many people as possible, or if the guy has huge mental problems.
So look on the bright side, it doesn't seem like anyone's dead.

horngeek
2010-10-30, 06:06 AM
Oh, right. My actual reaction?

...meh, leaning towards relived. Someone who I thought was dead isn't, and that's a good thing no matter who they are (no exceptions. Seriously.).

On the other hand, he's a troll, and that's annoying. Really, utterly annoying.

Spiryt
2010-10-30, 06:13 AM
Now that's some higher level of attention whoring.

Lame. And it's a shame that a lot of work of Giant and staff was done just to know that someone is making stupid "jokes" in the Internet. :smallannoyed:

Still, it's great that no one is dead, especially mother and unborn child, as it's would be horrible.

Aidan305
2010-10-30, 06:14 AM
I'll join with the other playgrounders to say that this, at least, helped to show our worth as a community. It's not the first time I've seen the happen, and I (unfortunately) doubt it's the last, but it's wonderful to know that there are people out there who do care about the lives of others.

PersonMan
2010-10-30, 06:17 AM
My feeling are changing. I've gone from relieved to...well, sort of conflicted. I mean, yeah, it was definitely a bad thing for him to deceive the forum like he did, but...Well, the more details I see the more complex this little scheme of his becomes. After a certain point, I sort of feel more like I was on the receiving end of an awesome plot, rather than being the victim of a horrible ploy. To go to such lengths for something like this is...well, it reminds me of the kind of thing a friend of mine used to do, and I remember that it can be fairly enjoyable to set up such an elaborate scheme. Still, I dislike the end result enough that in the end I just feel like I need to know why. I mean, it just seems odd that someone would do this just for attention.

It helps that I was able to shake off my grief after a short time, so I didn't spend a day wallowing in sadness only to find that it was fake, or something like that.

Allan Surgite
2010-10-30, 06:17 AM
I didn't post in the original thread (because I would have thought that posting that there was a good chance it wasn't real would be quite insensitive), but my reaction is one of a lack of surprise. I've seen far more fake suicide reports than real.

It's things like these that make me wonder if my determination to believe in the good inside of people is in vain.
That depends on the assumption you're making. If it's "every human being is a good person, deep down" - you're quite definitely wrong. Or you'll need to consider several applications of "good." If it's "every person can be good", then this one person's "bad", not the other six-to-seven billion of us.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-30, 06:37 AM
What.

*Sigh* I started to get suspicious when the Raptor guy showed up...But this is just plain wrong.

This forum is an amazing place and that guy is sick.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-30, 06:49 AM
Well damn.

I hate it when I'm right sometimes...

I didn't ever suspect it was a hoax, but from the moment the doubts were raised, my first thought was "they're all the same guy" and now I realise I was right. At least I can take from this that my instincts are still working.

I am - rather ambivalent about the whole thing.

I am relieved that it appears no one is dead. I am grateful to the mods and admin for uncovering the truth so quickly. I'm a little pissed off because I PMd Scion out of concern. But other than that - I find my default reaction being "oh well" *shrugs* which is a bit odd for me, because I would normally take such an event much more to heart than I have done this time.

I am incredibly impressed with the way the forum came together to support each other. I'm oddly disappointed, because, despite everything, he was fun to be in a game with. Perhaps 10 years in various forums has me jaded, but I find it hard to get too worked up about this.

Let me say this though, to anyone who might be feeling any sort of guilt about being taken for a ride. We are not at fault here. Remember the saying 'fool me once, shame on you'? This is the situation, Serpentine is right, for someone to do all this there is something very wrong with their mental state. I find myself hoping that he can get the help he clearly needs, but other than that? Meh...

Maybe I should just go off and take the time to examine this strange reversal of my personality...

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-30, 06:50 AM
...... thanks giant for taking the time to tell us the truth, I confess I was a little mad when I found that the in memoriam threads has been whisked of to mod-land; but now I understand why.

I don't know what to say abou Zen.... I really was distressed about his "death"...oh well it seems even in places as friendly and good as the playground we have black sheeps...I need to change my sig and my facebook status.

Peregrine
2010-10-30, 07:05 AM
I wasn't involved in any of the conversations that have gone before this, but I have been spectating, in a sense, while Moreta has been taking part in them. Let me first join my voice with others in saying that I'm impressed with you, Playgrounders, for showing the compassion and unity you have done.

But even more so, I'm impressed that people are having that reaction. Nobody should feel like a victim of this. Love and compassion aren't wasted; you haven't lost some quantity of caring that you can't get back now. After the shock and the hurt feelings have abated, I hope you'll all agree that this sad business has not diminished or embarrassed anyone, but the hoaxer.

Maybe I'm just naturally suspicious, but something struck me as off about that announcement to start with

Possibly the "I thought to tell you because he posted here a lot, I checked his browser history"? I mean, who does that?

Trog
2010-10-30, 07:14 AM
*a troglodyte wanders in and reads the thread*

*facepalm*

*shakes head*

*pulls out a banana and begins eating it. Midway through he looks up*

It er... seemed appropriate. >>

Anyhow, good investigatory skills Mod Squad. Next up there's a ghost scaring people away from the Board/Site Issues threads that needs looking into. Trog suspects the old man who owns the amusement park.

*Munches. Wanders off.*

Asta Kask
2010-10-30, 07:16 AM
What a pathetic man. Really not worth anyone's anger - ignoring him will be the worst, and most fitting, punishment.

SMEE
2010-10-30, 07:17 AM
Thank you, Trog.
Thank you so much. I was needing this laugh.

Chambers
2010-10-30, 07:21 AM
Yeah. I sensed this was a hoax from when ScionofBlades started posting 2 days after Zen's family died. Couldn't really say anything though, because...well..what if it was true? ::shakes head::

I was lurking on the enworld forums when one of the regulars "went into a coma" and his registered for the site and talked about his sickness. It was all a hoax...dude had like 6 or 8 alts, sometimes arguing with himself in the hive.

Trog
2010-10-30, 07:25 AM
Thank you, Trog.
Thank you so much. I was needing this laugh.
Any time. Humor is the only comforting skill I know how to uh... do, actually.

'Course I've also been told I do a decent "There, there." shoulderpat but I save those for special occasions.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-30, 07:32 AM
I think something's wrong with me. I couldn't bring myself to comment in the other threads because I couldn't actually believe that it happened. Not in a "Oh my God no!" sort of way, but a "Something's fishy..." way.
Dude, ain't a thing wrong with you. That is exactly what I felt as well, but I didn't have proof enough to say anything. As said before, well done mods.

*bows respectfully*

Not that I'd ever heard of the guy before. In about a month I'll go 'Yeah, the time... err, whateverhisnamewas did... something?'

But hey buddy, while it's fresh in my mind, you ever wanna try it for real, come see me. You can gain fame as Brunch.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/waywordfool/OotSAvatars/VorpalTribble.gif

Disclaimer: I don't really bite heads off except verbally.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-10-30, 07:49 AM
I am really, really upset. I feel hurt and betrayed, but the question the hoax brought into my mind last night, and is now focusing in my head...

If something really DID happen to me, like I got hit by a car or something...
How would you all know?
And has this event spoiled what could possibly happen if something really does happen to me?
'Cause Leo's registered here, yeah, but I'm suddenly afraid that if (goodness forbid) something DOES happen to me, you all won't know or won't believe Leo if she remembers to tell you all.

And how will we ever know if a Playgrounder really DOES pass away now?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-30, 07:53 AM

Well, in my case prop me up by the jukebox when I die (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwU-ftZfc04) :smallbiggrin:

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-30, 07:59 AM
Well... it's happened before. One of the posters died in Iraq.

One assumes we could check the news if we felt suspicious?

EmeraldRose
2010-10-30, 08:46 AM
You mean something like this has happened before? Shameful.

Yes, it was several years ago, and there were different ones of us involved. Fortunately we talked with each other, and then notified the mods.

It was one of the reasons the depression thread first came into being.

I have to say that I'm relieved to come on this morning and find this was a hoax. I was just talking to Andre this morning, saying I needed to come on and check the threads, since I have been unable to be on the last couple days due to plain exhaustion.

I can't honestly say I'm surprised that something like this has happened again, but it is still so disappointing to see....

Thank you Giant and Forum staff.

PhoeKun
2010-10-30, 08:54 AM
I feel a very real sense of relief seeing this thread here today. Not so much because of anything having to do with the person who caused this hoax, but because of everyone else in the playground.

I saw the initial thread, and was taken in by it. As I was putting together my thoughts for that thread, something was pointed out to me that made me suspicious. So I sat here, watching people pour their hearts out. Crying, even, over a deception they weren't aware of.

And I couldn't say anything. And that was tearing me up inside. I may not post much of anything anymore, but I still care a lot about this community, and I don't want to see people getting hurt.

I think everybody should feel proud of their compassion. There are other forums (and they're probably not the ones you're thinking of) where this sort of stunt would barely register as a blip on the radar, so take the time to admire an example of people acting like people instead of internet personalities.

I would like to thank The Giant and his mod staff for their hard work and discretion in releasing this information to the everyone in the interest of full disclosure. It can't be easy working through every last tangled knot every time one of these situations comes up, but you've always done a great job of cutting through deception and maintaining an exemplary community. So one more time, thank you.

CrimsonAngel
2010-10-30, 08:56 AM
Well that was pretty... disgusting. :smallannoyed:

Gaiyamato
2010-10-30, 08:58 AM
Oh look, my conviction that anyone posting to say their friend, who just happens to also post on the same forum, killed themselves is lying. It's strengthening.

This is, what, the fifth time I've seen someone try to pull this? Good lord.

I actually liked that bastard, too.

Same here. Six times for me.

Also the obscene number of people who claim to have multiple personality dissorder online is silly. :P

----

It would have been more impressive if he had managed to get several of his alt accounts all as staff members (mods). lol.
I managed that on Animeleague.net once. Lasted about a year. But then I was being sensible and contributing to the community via each account. :P

Then again I don't think anyone would have cared much (for the negative) had he not pulled the suicide thing.

Morty
2010-10-30, 09:06 AM
This whole affair amazes me more than anything else, really. I mean, I can believe someone deciding to make a fake account and claim his or her own death by pretending to be his or her friend or relative. I haven't seen anything like this myself, but I've heard it happens. But here... there were several fake accounts, some of which have been around for quite long. This is an incredible level of complexity for what is pretty much a cruel prank on the people on an Internet message board. It's still good to know he's alive, though.
And of course, props to the mod staff for being thorough and vigilant.

The Valiant Turtle
2010-10-30, 09:08 AM
I fall very strongly in the greatly relieved category. Somebody isn't dead, my online home is still incredibly awesome and Bor has gone from mopey monk to raging barbarian. I decided long ago to quit worrying about injuries to just my pride. There are a lot worse things that can get injured.

Well done Mods.

Diva De
2010-10-30, 09:09 AM
Meh, can't really be mad. I don't know the guy.

Thank you the Giant and the staff for the investigation and hard work they did to uncover the truth. And thank you Giantitp to be such a tight community. :smallsmile:

This. Thanks to Rich and the crew for handling this. We love you guys.

Some people just want attention - any way they can get it. But to "try to talk someone out of suicide" and then PRETEND to commit...ugh. Just. Ugh. You disgust me. Still, glad no one's dead AND we don't have to deal with that dude any more.

Also, won't be buying his book. Like ever.

Alarra
2010-10-30, 09:12 AM
And how will we ever know if a Playgrounder really DOES pass away now?

Well, for a lot of us, there are people that know us in real life that would tell the forums that are respected, long time posters that people wouldn't question. Like if I died, I'm sure Zeb would tell you all, and since it's already been well established that Zeb is not me and that we do know each other in real life, my guess is that you would believe him.

And in your case, I think there's enough of us here that have at least been hearing about Leo for some time to believe her if she came in and told us something like this. Unless.... you made Leo up and are putting years into planning an elaborate hoax of your own. :smallconfused: Welp, sorry, you'll have to bring Leo to a meetup, otherwise no one will believe she exists, sorry. Or, you know, I guess you could have Trog tell us if you die. I think most of us think he's a different person from you.

Jimp
2010-10-30, 09:16 AM
After a long absence from the forum I return and see this thread first. Look like I missed out on something major. Glad to hear there wasn't an actual suicide though.

bluewind95
2010-10-30, 09:16 AM
Wow. I am absolutely impressed with the mods and the Giant for their investigation into this matter.

My feelings are several. First there is the shock/distance/emotional shutdown that I've felt from the start. That's kind of what I do as self-defense. Behind that, there was grief. Grief that someone could say encouraging words and then go against them.

Then came the memorial. There was grief there, kind of an eye-opener to see how death can affect the people around. I haven't been the safest person to have around myself for a long while. This kind of thing gives me a little push towards not ending up doing anything "stupid". I mean, I look at Bor who was crying for hours. Bor, who is just a kind soul. And that's just one. There were many other wonderful souls offering their tears, their compassion... that brought heartwarming. That there are people like that in the world is truly a good thing that should not be lost.

But now there is anger, too. Anger that someone would be so callous as to hurt the kind souls here. Angry that they made people like the ones they hurt cry, for hours on end.

Thanks, Rich, and the rest of you mods, for clearing this up. Now I can feel some relief of closure from this.

I think now what we should all do is take a lesson from this. No, not that we shouldn't show compassion towards others. Best to be naive than to become callous like those who hurt us so. We should learn that we can indeed do good. We should learn that it is possible to stay together as a community. And those who are thinking of suicide should look at what transpired here and realize that it's actual proof that people will NOT be better off if you go and kill yourself. Think of the people that shed their tears, for hours, showed their compassion. Think of them. That's what you'd be doing. Hurting them. And if you know pain, you know not to want to inflict it upon others. I think that lesson should be taken from this.

To the person that was the recipient of the message of hope posted by the hoaxer(and anyone else whom it may apply to)... take that message. Nevermind the horrific, cruel hoax. The message is real, and it wasn't proven by the hoaxer. The REST of the Playground proved it. that life is indeed precious. As for the smiling again part... I, sadly, have not been following many people's stories lately. But I can point one example. Our resident barbarian monk. He took the tribulations of life, he held on... and now he has raesons to smile again. So it happens, it really does. The message is true, even if it was delivered by someone who was not true.

Thanks again, Sherlock Rich, and the Scotland Mods. :smalltongue:

Here's to the best community I have ever seen.

Trog
2010-10-30, 09:27 AM
Or, you know, I guess you could have Trog tell us if you die. I think most of us think he's a different person from you.
<<
>>

What gave it away?

Mauve Shirt
2010-10-30, 09:28 AM
Wow. Glad he's alive.
Sad he's crazy.
I'd probably be more angry if I'd actually known Zen and had been more invested in grieving. But now I'm glad I wasn't.
He probably wanted to see if his death would be appreciated. As others have said, it's a good sign for the community that it was.

Thanks to Rich and the mods for figuring this out.

Edit: Trog, you're awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2010-10-30, 09:28 AM
<<
>>

What gave it away?

You have slightly different profiles when wearing a dress when viewed from the side. A subtle curvature of the spine indicative of long-term coffin nail use...

On topic... I ain't really getting any feelings on the matter. Catharsis having already been reached and the appropriate actions having been taken.

RebelRogue
2010-10-30, 09:30 AM
First and foremost, I am relieved that no one died. My next emotion is pity; I feel pity for zen (or whatever it is appropriate to call him at this time). To me it seems like he needs som kind of professional help to deal with this. I hope he realizes this, or that someone else makes sure he does.

But yes, it is awesome to see the Playground cares so genuinely about its members. Beautiful, really.

Cahokia
2010-10-30, 09:36 AM
I have a confession to make...

I am all of the other posters in the playground. Every single one. Except for you, dear reader. :smallwink:

It makes me sad to see this, but to echo the sentiment of what others have said, my appreciation for the web's best community has only grown. I never posted on any of the topics out of respect for the dead (I personally feel it's best to let the closest grieve directly, while relative strangers like myself take the day for quiet mourning and contemplation). If his fiancé did find her death, then I suppose I understand the measures taken. If she did not, then I am at a loss as to motive. Either way, a source of destruction has been removed from the community, and left us room to create.

May grace fall upon the truly dead, whose joy and suffering have finally left them in peace.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-30, 09:38 AM
Wow. Glad he's alive.
Sad he's crazy.
I dunno that he's crazy.

I've known a number of evil, manipulative people who were perfectly clear in their minds.

'Some men just want to watch the world burn.'

Ranger Mattos
2010-10-30, 09:47 AM
What. The. Hell? :furious:

I'm glad he's not dead, but I'm :smallfurious: that he would do something like this.

Anyways, good job Giant and mods for figuring this out.

mucat
2010-10-30, 09:53 AM
And to think I really did like the guy.

And I believed him. I posted thoughts for his family to read, talked about the decency and humor he had always displayed here, the courage he displayed at the end. I cried in public while writing the post. Looks like he got me.

And you know what? The next time someone I care about here posts about a personal tragedy...I'll believe them too.

'Cause the worst thing that can happen if you trust them is that you look a little foolish. The worst thing that could happen if you don't, is that someone actually did need help or comfort, and you stayed silent to guard your dignity. And I can live with that first risk a lot easier than with the second one.

So, a few other thoughts, in no particular order:

Thanks, Rich and all the mods. You guys handled this with true class and professionalism.

Thanks, Playground, for the outpouring of compassion and concern for this guy. His story may not have been real, but the humanity of your reaction was, and I'm proud to be a part of this place.

And I'm glad we're not throwing a collective fit of rage toward this guy. Either he's a desperate and disturbed person, in which case pity makes more sense than anger...or he's the worst sort of troll, in which case he wants to see us in a frenzy, howling for his blood. in either case, I'm glad that's not what we're doing.

Also, please remember that some of those outside sites the guy linked to in his various aliases might belong to a real person who had nothing to do with the hoax...so please don't denounce him all over the Net unless you're sure it's the same guy.

I'm glad no one's dead, and I'm proud of everyone here. You people rock.

Haruki-kun
2010-10-30, 10:08 AM
I cannot believe we were played like this.... :smallfurious::smallfrown::smallannoyed::smallmad: :smallyuk:

Thank you, mods, Admins, and Giant for letting us know what really happened.

Snares
2010-10-30, 10:11 AM
Yeah. Something seemed up when that Raptor guy showed up. Seemed to me as though he saw what everyone was posting about him, had second thoughts and introduced Mr. Raptor as a way of trying to get back on the forums. Yeah. All very weird. But people pull this on the internet depressingly often. It's a shame, from the posts of his that I'd seen, he appeared to be a decent fellow. People do strange things sometimes, though.

I'll echo everyone else in their admiration for Rich and the mods' work, and for everyone here who showed such a great sense of community and emotion. You're a pretty cool place, playground.

Lord_Gareth
2010-10-30, 10:11 AM
First and foremost, I've got to say how touched I was by the Playground's response. Many of us didn't truly know Zen, and many more didn't even know his name, but when we thought one of our own had fallen, we banded together to mourn. That is a wonderful, touching thing.

Rich, Mod Team - thank you. Your efficiency and dedication speaks volumes, and while I may have heard complaints about your style (and, frankly, have a couple myself regarding certain bannings), you've always stuck to your guns, and that's something I can admire.

Lastly, but certainly not least, this - many posters here have chosen to express pity or sorrow for this man's mental state. These posters are probably better people than I am, as I can find nothing to feel with regards to this but hatred. I've been the victim of fake friends, users, and abusers in the past. I've read the stories about people driven to suicide by internet bullies and teens lured to their deaths or worse online, and while this might not measure up, it's still absolutely despicable. Does this man have any idea how many people he's hurt? How many people might be just a little less willing to come to someone else's aid for fear they'll be hurt like that again?

No, there's not room for forgiveness in my heart. I hope he gets what's coming to him. And maybe it's cold of me, but I think I've earned the right to use the, "Why should I act any better than anyone else?" defense in this instance.

I'm going to do something now. Maybe boot up Neverwinter Nights. I feel the need to harm things.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-10-30, 10:13 AM
When I first saw the original threads I was shocked and saddened to say the least as I peripherally knew ZenAnarchist. But I didn't believe I knew him well enough to post in the thread, so I mourned in private.
One of the things that helped cheer me up was the massive amount of support and solidarity this forum showed in the face of this tragedy.
To find out it was a hoax is appalling, and the elaborate nature of it is pretty scary; that someone would go to create multiple personalities and make so many friends on each account, only to do this.
On the one hand, I'm glad he's still alive; on the other, I can't believe someone could do this sort of thing. But mostly I'm really proud of this forum and I'm glad to be a part of it.
For the compassion of everyone here.
For the sheer amount of effort it must have taken all the Mods and the Giant to verify whether or not this was true.

And I'm also, in a twisted way, glad that if anything serious ever happened to me, enough people know enough details to find out on their own and post. And my family and some of my friends know how important this site is to me, that I think they'd be willing to let you know as well. Iust in case.

All I can really say is this:
Over this event this forum has displayed the best of humanity, from people who cried over this man whom they may not have known very well, and for the fact that we, as a forum, are more confused, hurt and angry than straight up furious.
Thanks for being fantastic, and don't ever change. :smallsmile:

Lord_Gareth
2010-10-30, 10:23 AM
Ok, I am not going to make a habit out of this, but our computer won't let me log him out and log myself in.

Gareth's wife here.

I am not sure what to think, I am upset, yes, this was wrong, and the only person who could possibly find it funny is it's creator. But, on the other hand, is he so starved for attention that he would resort to measures like this to get it? Or is it that his self esteem is so low, that he thought no one would really care, and then he had to see who all would commemorate him?

I will not say that I regret crying for him, because I don't. In those moments I was mourning the loss of a fellow gamer, poster, and human being. I can only hope that he can see exactly the effect he had. I am sure that most of us spent a good deal of yesterday in tears, or at the very least more than a little unsettled by his supposed death.

Karma always settles the score, he will pay for this one way or the other. reassured by that belief, I feel no need to try and exact any of my own retribution, even if it were only in words.

NineThePuma
2010-10-30, 10:36 AM
People tell me I'm a wonderful, compassionate, soul and that I'm special cause I care for everyone.

Lies. I only care about my pack.

I first heard about this from Lix when she said she was depressed. I did my best to comfort her, and didn't bother to seek more data. It's more important to me to protect my pack than go hunting. I didn't know the person who died, and I didn't particularly care. All that mattered was comforting Pack.

But I like hearing about how this staff operates; it gives me great pleasure to see something halfway efficient, and this one seems to have a 100% efficiency. So when someone mentioned DocRock as being banned for Hydra-ing, I popped up to see what it was. My immediate response to the hoax was to hunt down that- *growls* No swearing. Giant is present. But suffice to say, if he hadn't been banned and if I hadn't stopped to read the thread, I might have done something rash. Like hang him by his entrails and- *shakes head* My response is "Hurt Pack. Kill them."

But... Seeing and reading through this thread, I am thoroughly impressed by The Giant and his staff. I have, in the past, been on sites where the prime suspects for a hoax like this were staff. Where the community is hateful of anyone who makes suggestions for improvement. And being a Chaotic Good individual who constantly home brews and forges new ideas for systems, that made things... Difficult. Seeing a staff who not only care about their members enough to make the effort to investigate, but are good enough at it to actually get results...

*sighs, yawning* Maybe this site is worth more than I thought. Thank you, Giant, for restoring a bit of my faith in humanity.

Eon
2010-10-30, 10:50 AM
:smallannoyed:

Wow... It's hard to explain what I feel. I'm glad to know someone didn't kill themself, but also angry and confused at to why someone would take a great community like this, and create a hoax about their suicide.

Also, I'm glad to be part of the Playground. Even if they don't know the person, they can still feel compassion or sadness.

Volthawk
2010-10-30, 10:51 AM
Huh. Interesting.

So in the re-recruitment thread that was replacing Zen's spot in a game when he started this off, one of his aliases was being annoyed at another of his aliases for disrespecting a third alias. That's just weird. And confusing. And then there was that tribute game, which I guess was just more attention gathering.

Apart from that (a reason a game needed new players, and a tribute game), I didn't know about this, so I don't particular care that much emotionally. I do fnd it interesting though, for some reason.

Cobalt
2010-10-30, 10:53 AM
Well that is a disappointment. I posted in the original thread and wandered off for a bit, then came back, saw they were moved, and that suddenly an investigation was underway. What a way to end my night, eh? I cried a few tears for the guy, prayed for him and his friends and family, and saw all of it going to hell just before dozing off. Now I wake up to this sort of nonsense? Ugh…

Can’t really say much of anything else. I went back onto the Zen account’s posts to see what he was like and started to like the guy. Don’t anymore, needless to say. But I put emotion into this. I felt saddened. Now I just feel empty.

I’m moving on now; supreme congratulations to all of the Playground staff, for bringing this to light so soon. And to the entirety of the Playground’s members I offer a very, very large hug for pouring so much true emotion into this.

Eldritch Knight
2010-10-30, 10:56 AM
I've had some incredible hurts in my life, but this is one that just makes me burn with cold fury (and how the heck does that metaphor work? 'Flaming Snow?!') While we cannot know the motivations that were behind this act, we can at least know that the Giant and the Mods (does that sound like a band name or what?) are vigilant against such activity in the future.

I really am not amused by this shameful example of human behaviour, but unfortunately, my experience tells me that this is not the worst that could've been done.

For those of you who know me well enough to know what I do for a living, I'm actually rather annoyed that my immediate thought upon reading through this thread was: I can use this as an illustration.

I don't know why I feel bad that this was my immediate thought, even though it is true.

Humans are a messed up species.....

Lillith
2010-10-30, 11:01 AM
Thanks for answering my question the Giant. Much appreciated! I'm really impressed with this forum's staff. :smallbiggrin: Also I feel kind of sorry for you guys. You prolly had to go through a -lot- of trouble to find this all out.

I just wish my curiosity wasn't so damn annoying. I missed the whole 'fishy' part of the original thread. Now I'm really curious what that guy did with the alternate accounts that made people suspect he was the same person. ><

Sir_Chivalry
2010-10-30, 11:02 AM
I hope it was worth it, I really do. I hope he got what he wanted out of this, because this was sick, this was self-centered, and this was wrong.

I believed it, but I'm not angry that I was fooled. I'm angry that someone saw a community of people who were able to bond through the internet, to support each other and work alongside each other all in the name of their shared interests (whether it be DnD, others tabletops, art, poetry, music, video games, comics or just Order of the Stick), and that person thought to himself, "This seems like a good place to get some attention."

This event proves the moral fiber of the playground, I just wish it was under less enraging circumstances.

Lolzords
It... it wasn't even april 1st. :smallfrown:

Cristo Meyers
I would say that I was moved to something beyond "That's too bad" when I read the first thread, but that'd be a lie. I'm only slightly more angered at the news that it was an elaborate hoax. This is a pretty sick way to get your kicks and I can only hope there's actually some real-world consequence beyond getting banned from the forum here.

<<
>>

What gave it away?

You clearly drive a different car, duh. :smalltongue:

The Glyphstone
2010-10-30, 11:04 AM
Thanks for answering my question the Giant. Much appreciated! I'm really impressed with this forum's staff. :smallbiggrin: Also I feel kind of sorry for you guys. You prolly had to go through a -lot- of trouble to find this all out.

I just wish my curiosity wasn't so damn annoying. I missed the whole 'fishy' part of the original thread. Now I'm really curious what that guy did with the alternate accounts that made people suspect he was the same person. ><

There are simply some secrets which common posters are not meant to know.:smallbiggrin: Sanity is too precious a resource to be so squandered.

I'd agree that the way everyone came out in support of this....individual is heartening though.

Eldritch Knight
2010-10-30, 11:10 AM
:smallbiggrin: Sanity is too precious a resource to be so squandered.

So what about those of us who don't have any? :p

I'd be interested to know how often this has happened in other places, because this is the first time I've ever encountered something like this, and I do tend towards morbid curiosity.

Lillith
2010-10-30, 11:14 AM
There are simply some secrets which common posters are not meant to know.:smallbiggrin: Sanity is too precious a resource to be so squandered. Ahh that's okay, it's prolly best if I just forget this event anyways. :smallbiggrin: I'm just glad I wasn't as emotionally invested in this person as opposed to some of the other members. That must have hurt. :smallfrown:

Though I have to admit I'm really happy to have found this place where people care so much for others. Never thought I'd find that. ^^

AtlanteanTroll
2010-10-30, 11:14 AM
Sanity is too precious a resource to be so squandered.

Rally to restore what now?

Destro_Yersul
2010-10-30, 11:16 AM
And in your case, I think there's enough of us here that have at least been hearing about Leo for some time to believe her if she came in and told us something like this. Unless.... you made Leo up and are putting years into planning an elaborate hoax of your own. :smallconfused: Welp, sorry, you'll have to bring Leo to a meetup, otherwise no one will believe she exists, sorry. Or, you know, I guess you could have Trog tell us if you die. I think most of us think he's a different person from you.

I met Leo! So unless I am ALSO part of an elaborate hoax years in the making, Leo is totally real.

Though I wonder the same sort of thing as Rabbit. I'm not so well known on here, but I like to think that at least some of you would care if I were, so to speak, no more. Ceased to be. Expired and gone to meet my maker. A stiff. Bereft of life, resting in peace, pushing up the daisies. Off the twig! Kicked the bucket! Shuffled off my mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! AN EX DESTRO!!

Inigo Montoya
2010-10-30, 11:20 AM
You know, I really don't feel angry at him.
I feel angry at the type of trolling he did. GitP is one of the nicest forums I've been a part of, and everytime someone trolls like that, it makes us all a little bit more jaded and cynical. This forum is much to nice to become cynical. :smallsigh:

Lord Raziere
2010-10-30, 11:23 AM
I am disappointed in the person who toyed with so many peoples emotions. They should know better.

Fax Celestis
2010-10-30, 11:27 AM

What, really?

Water-Smurf
2010-10-30, 11:28 AM
Seriously? Seriously? :smallannoyed: I can't believe I cried for that guy.

On the other hand, right now, I just feel relieved. No dead fiancé, no playgrounder who committed suicide, no tragedy... Just a guy who either liked causing a stir or wanted to see how others would react.

Ugh. I need to nap this off.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-10-30, 11:30 AM
I'm really rather impressed, on three levels.

Firstly, the hoaxster seemingly had something quite effective going before he introduced Mr Raptor. He certainly pulled the wool over most of the Playground's eyes, and I must say I admire him for that. If I ever choose to leave the forums in a spectacular manner (extremely unlikely considering that Playgrounders are starting to know me IRL and I'm going to be attending meetups, but still, it's worth considering in case I ever go totally tonto) I might try for some sick and elaborate joke myself (except of course, by posting this I have made it impossible. Oh, the joys of posting. Now you know you can trust me, eh?).

Secondly, the mods and admins can seriously break out the whip on these people, like some sort of godly ninja secret police force. Efficient, ruthless and thorough - I've gained a new admiration for you lot today, and I think you should know that.

And thirdly, of course, is the remarkable unity and tolerance exhibited by most of the Playground in the face of this (though accompanied by just a tad too much back-patting, but under the circumstances I find it most understandably forgivable). You're all better people than I am, that's for certain, you sterling bunch, you.

Reminds me why I actually decided to stick around in the first place instead of buggering off elsewhere like I usually do. Well done, ladies and gentlemen.

Rae Artemi
2010-10-30, 11:34 AM
Okay, I read this thread through a little over an hour ago, and I believe that I have finally gotten my thoughts in order. I didn't really know ZenAnarchist, but I was still sad to see that a member of these fine forums passed away. I almost cried, and it has been a long time since I have cried due to sadness.

Now though, I'm angry. Not because of how he played with my emotions, but because he hurt my friends. I am normally a pretty laid back guy, but my friends are much more important to me than myself. If my guess is right, then ZenAnarchist is probably reading this thread right now. If he is, then I just want to say, remember, one angry fifteen year old with an internet connection can cause a lot of harm to another's reputation.

Have fun with your book.

MoelVermillion
2010-10-30, 11:35 AM
GitP is one of the nicest forums I've been a part of, and everytime someone trolls like that, it makes us all a little bit more jaded and cynical. :smallsigh:

Nah that aint true, while the individual in question and his actions did lower my faith in humanity a bit all the other members of this forum that responded so sincerely to the (now revealed to be fake) situation raised it far higher. The fact that this place has managed to become an honest-to-goodness community despite the fact that most the members here will never see each other face to face is pretty special. If any of you people who posted nice sentiments when you initially found out about the "death" are feeling embarrassed or ashamed for being "taken in" then don't, you should feel proud for showing the level of compassion necessary to feel for a human being you've never met face to face. You guys are great, don't let this jerk get to you.

mucat
2010-10-30, 11:44 AM
Have fun with your book.

Word of caution, Rae -- if there is actually someone out there writing a book on "Zen Anarchy", they're not necessarily involved in the hoax. It could be that the first thing "Zen" did when preparing this scheme was adopt the persona of an existing writer.

So please don't trash anyone's reputation until you are absolutely certain it's the same guy.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-30, 11:45 AM
This forum is much to nice to become cynical.
Eh, always need a drop of it. Otherwise we get complacent, which allows worse things to sneak in.

No worries though, you have cynical and suspicious posters here to keep an eye out for those that need a break from it.

Mods as well, obviously http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Raistlin1040
2010-10-30, 11:57 AM
I am really, really upset. I feel hurt and betrayed, but the question the hoax brought into my mind last night, and is now focusing in my head...

How would you all know?
And has this event spoiled what could possibly happen if something really does happen to me?
'Cause Leo's registered here, yeah, but I'm suddenly afraid that if (goodness forbid) something DOES happen to me, you all won't know or won't believe Leo if she remembers to tell you all.

And how will we ever know if a Playgrounder really DOES pass away now?This is basically how I feel about it. Even more so, since I don't know anyone in-person on the site, and so it would require my parents to come on and make an account and tell you all.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-30, 12:01 PM
I angry, but I think I'm mostly confused. Why were they doing this? It seems like a lot of work and I can't see any goal?

Sneak
2010-10-30, 12:02 PM
Huh.

Well, I guess I won't be doing that memorial avatar that ScionOfBlades asked me for.

Rae Artemi
2010-10-30, 12:04 PM
Word of caution, Rae -- if there is actually someone out there writing a book on "Zen Anarchy", they're not necessarily involved in the hoax. It could be that the first thing "Zen" did when preparing this scheme was adopt the persona of an existing writer.

So please don't trash anyone's reputation until you are absolutely certain it's the same guy.

Yeah, I know. I was angry, and not necssarily thinking straight. I won't act upon that unless I am absolutely sure, but IIRC, wasn't it confirmed earlier in this thread that he was the same guy who wrote the book?

MoelVermillion
2010-10-30, 12:08 PM
This is basically how I feel about it. Even more so, since I don't know anyone in-person on the site, and so it would require my parents to come on and make an account and tell you all.

Well the good news is that the staff and moderators of this site have proven themselves to be very thorough and professional in investigation and to take these things very seriously. I have faith that the mods will be able to filter out the hoaxes from the real deaths for us in the future.

Strawberries
2010-10-30, 12:13 PM
When I saw this thread this morning I really didn't really know how that made me feel. So, I quietly changed my avatar back, and didn't post in this thread.

Now I still don't know exactly what I want to say. I mean, I cried yesterday. It takes a lot to make me cry. That's why I'm angry right now.

Still, as so many others have said, I'm pretty impressed by the Playground as a community, and the way we came together when we thought it was necessary.
And I'm in awe of the work of the staff, too. Well done people! I'm proud to be a member here.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-30, 12:14 PM
Huh.

Well, I guess I won't be doing that memorial avatar that ScionOfBlades asked me for.
Could still make it so we could graffiti it :smallamused:

TSGames
2010-10-30, 12:26 PM
I angry, but I think I'm mostly confused. Why were they doing this? It seems like a lot of work and I can't see any goal?
I do not mean this to be libel, but the individual that perpetrated this hoax probably has deep seeded mental problems, and has probably not been diagnosed or treated yet.

I do not think it is a good idea to focus on this person's motives, rather, we should focus on the ubiquitous and selfless display of empathy that the playground showed.

zyborg
2010-10-30, 12:31 PM
ZenAnarchist seemed like a pretty cool guy. We were having fun in his RP, and was being very nice in various threads.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-10-30, 12:32 PM
What, really?

Yeah, I'm confused here, too. Serps, are you saying Hexa was faked, too? And why?

I do remember the "pretending to be multiple people, none of whom you actually are" thing happening before, and that person dating a playgrounder, but...that was it.

Mr. Moon
2010-10-30, 12:41 PM
Waitwaitwait.
What?
What's this about Hexa? :smallconfused:

Quincunx
2010-10-30, 12:44 PM
Yes, Hexa Regina and multiple other female accounts of the time were the same person. Why, I couldn't say (well, I could speculate, joyfully--but let's not). Actually, since I'll never get a chance to say this again, having the current case be handled in public and everyone shocked at once is better than the silent and subterranean handling of her case. We're not going to get these nasty revelatory aftershocks years after the fact, with this one.

Part of your living will these days is setting out who will notify people in the event of your death, even online. There's a paper copy of several of my accounts out there (GitP is not on it--that may need fixin') with the heading "contact these communities and let them know". There's also memorial websites, pay-gated sites which won't take an entry without the proof of a printed obituary, which publish the real name and other real life information. I don't plan to use a memorial website, but who knows what my executor will do?

cycoris
2010-10-30, 12:45 PM
Having slept on it...

Well, my initial reaction was undecided, and I still am.

I'm hoping one of the mods can answer this. Is there any reasonable way to believe that he did things with no malicious intent? That he thought no one would take it seriously, or that it wouldn't affect people the way it has? That he seriously thought it would be amusing?

Because if so, then that's just stupid and unrealistic, but I can be glad he's still alive. Otherwise he's just a scumbag who hurt people I care about and lied to me*.

*Well, okay, not me specifically, I'm not taking it that personally, but...yeah.

Elfin
2010-10-30, 12:46 PM
Gods, that's awful.

It's of course a relief that nobody actually died...but I can't believe anyone would actually pull something like that.

Wow.

But thanks so much, Giant and mods, for bringing the hoax to light.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-10-30, 12:49 PM
Yes, Hexa Regina and multiple other female accounts of the time were the same person.* Why, I couldn't say (well, I could speculate, joyfully--but let's not).* Actually, since I'll never get a chance to say this again, having the current case be handled in public and everyone shocked at once is better than the silent and subterranean handling of her case.* We're not going to get these nasty revelatory aftershocks years after the fact, with this one.*****Part of your living will these days is setting out who will notify people in the event of your death, even online.* There's a paper copy of several of my accounts out there (GitP is not on it--that may need fixin') with the heading "contact these communities and let them know".* There's also memorial websites, pay-gated sites which won't take an entry without the proof of a printed obituary, which publish the real name and other real life information.* I don't plan to use a memorial website, but who knows what my executor will do?
...wow. I had no idea about that.

...damn it, now I feel all cynical and stuff. I'm not believing one more person is dead until the mods tell me so. >.<

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-30, 12:51 PM
...damn it, now I feel all cynical and stuff. I'm not believing one more person is dead until the mods tell me so. >.<
Nuh uh, that's giving them too much power. They might bring back Elvis.

MonkeyBusiness
2010-10-30, 12:52 PM
My, my.

Well, thank you Giant and Playground Staff for catching this! Thank you for dealing with it, and for making a special thread where we can all blow off steam regarding the hoax.

My biggest feeling right now is one of gratitude.

In my offline life, I'm having to cope with some Real Life Weirdos who are harrassing enough to make my life unpleasant, but not enough of a danger that the police can do anything to make the unpleasantness stop. My landlord has been very disappointing in enforcing the building security rules, so I have to deal with this in my home. I'll live, but it's maddening to have to run the Weirdo Gauntlet going in and out of my apartment!

What I'm getting at is: It feels terrific to realize that there is some justice in at least this part of my life, and that neighbors do come to one anothers' aid. It's refreshing.

I have been very touched by the outpouring of support by Playgrounders to each other both when the "suicide" was thought to be genuine, and in the aftermath of realizing it was a hoax. Many others have said this, but it bears repeating: this is a very special community.

Thanks again to everyone who makes this a wonderful - and safe - place to play.

@ \/ Thanks, Cobra. And if you met me in Real Life this morning, you wouldn't think I was being "too cheerful" at all ... I lit a (figurative) fire under my landlord's butt! I'll be ranting about this on another thread later today, but just wanted to say: The Monkey ain't all sweetness and light. :smallamused:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-10-30, 12:55 PM
My, my.

Well, thank you Giant and Playground Staff for catching this! Thank you for dealing with it, and for making a special thread where we can all blow off steam regarding the hoax.

My biggest feeling right now is one of gratitude.

In my offline life, I'm having to cope with some Real Life Weirdos who are harrassing enough to make my life unpleasant, but not enough of a danger that the police can do anything to make the unpleasantness stop. My landlord has been very disappointing in enforcing the building security rules, so I have to deal with this in my home. I'll live, but it's maddening to have to run the Weirdo Gauntlet going in and out of my apartment!

What I'm getting at is: It feels terrific to realize that there is some justice in at least this part of my life, and that neighbors do come to one anothers' aid. It's refreshing.

I have been very touched by the outpouring of support by Playgrounders to each other both when the "suicide" was thought to be genuine, and in the aftermath of realizing it was a hoax. Many others have said this, but it bears repeating: this is a very special community.

Thanks again to everyone who makes this a wonderful - and safe - place to play.

Gah. Stop being all nice and cheery and making me feel better. =P

*hugs* Thanks, though. And I'm sorry about your RL situation, hope things go better for you. Had a friend who had to put up with a lot of that, too, and it's terrible. =\

RabbitHoleLost
2010-10-30, 12:57 PM
So...have we had ANY real deaths on the playground, to our knowledge?

Milskidasith
2010-10-30, 12:57 PM
That makes... two fake suicides, and one real report of an illness taking somebody, that I've seen online. Not exactly a good track record.

Raz_Fox
2010-10-30, 12:59 PM
ZenAnarchist, ScionOfBlades, and all those other usernames you used: thank you for reminding me that I've got a lot to live for and that this community is one of the best on the 'net. Thank you for the reminder, that you caused me to ponder over the last day: memento mori.

Damn you for hurting all the compassionate and loving people on this site, for emotionally devastating people who cared for your fictitious identities, for doing this all for a laugh. Most of all, damn you for betraying the basic trust of human decency, the shared law that says that our words are our bond and that those you expose yourselves to will not hurt you.

That's all I have to say.

Water-Smurf
2010-10-30, 01:04 PM
Nap time done now.

Now I'm angry, but also pretty impressed. Those are a lot of accounts to keep afloat, a lot of effort to put into defining the different personae, and a lot of effort to pull the hoax.

But besides that, now I'm feeling taken advantage of. I understand the curiosity over how people would react over your death, but the thing is, the reactions almost always involve a lot of pain on the living. Why inflict that pain unnecessarily just to satisfy the curiosity?

And now I'm wondering what happens if someone dies. :smallannoyed: Do we just eye every announcement with suspicion until the staff has done an investigation? What if there's no proof? No obituary?

:smallsigh:

DoctorHobo
2010-10-30, 01:05 PM
I very recently joined this site, and the first pbp game I've been a part of, Illuminance, had Zen in it. Honestly, I thought he was a terrible player and had the same mediocre writing style that a lot of people on the internet seem to have. I very honestly doubt he ever wrote a book, and I can't imagine what Zen Anarchy might be about, it sounds almost like an oxymoron. How anyone could achieve enlightenment through the childish notion that everyone would be better off after the total collapse of government is beyond me.

I didn't much know what to think when our campaign had just begun and Zen said his fiancee and unborn child had died. I was skeptical entirely because it sounded far too tragic to be true. I did my part and told him he could come to me if he needed someone to talk to because I had no reason to doubt his tragedy, no matter how larger-than-life it sounded.

Then it started getting a bit ridiculous when ScionOfBlades (Also Zen) felt the need to have his signature praising Zen for what an extraordinary person he'd been when my brief experience with him had only lead me to believe him to be a needy high-schooler with a hunger for attention.

We put Illuminance on hold for you, you little [expletive deleted], and I know you're not doing anything but laughing over the people you affected. Well here you are. Here's your attention. I'm glad I'm never going to see you on Giant In The Playground again.

Temotei
2010-10-30, 01:16 PM
I didn't ever suspect it was a hoax, but from the moment the doubts were raised, my first thought was "they're all the same guy" and now I realise I was right. At least I can take from this that my instincts are still working.

Starting from Zen's alleged family loss, this is what I was thinking:

Aaaahhhh! That's so terrible!
BladedWarlord is creepy
DocRock is weird
BladedWarlord and DocRock are the same, but I have no proof
Scion's a good friend to come on here to tell people in Zen's time of trouble
...dead? :smallfrown:
RaptorRider knows too much; he's got to be either a great researcher of backgrounds or the same...but Zen wouldn't lie to us, would he?
Oh my habajesagoddesses. He's alive. And I was right. Darn it. This stinks. :smallsigh:

Roland St. Jude
2010-10-30, 01:25 PM
Yes, Hexa Regina and multiple other female accounts of the time were the same person. Why, I couldn't say (well, I could speculate, joyfully--but let's not). Actually, since I'll never get a chance to say this again, having the current case be handled in public and everyone shocked at once is better than the silent and subterranean handling of her case. We're not going to get these nasty revelatory aftershocks years after the fact, with this one.

Maybe, in the interest of forum decorum, we could let these two topics lie?

Elfin
2010-10-30, 01:28 PM
Well, I am glad that we haven't got any known deaths. But yeah.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2010-10-30, 01:38 PM
Yes...The nice, wisdom-filled monk in me has died, leaving an enraged barbarian in his place.

I went through emotional hell yesterday, going as far as to blame myself for Zen's suicide. No, it's not logical. I was just thinking, I'm the go-to guy when things get that serious. Why didn't anyone speak up? And then it turns out to be a hoax?!?

"I want you to get this [guy] where he breathes! I want you to find this Nancy-boy Eliot Ness, I want him DEAD! I want his family DEAD! I want his house burned to the GROUND! I wanna go there in the middle of the night and I wanna [urinate] ON HIS ASHES!"

Oh, wait. He's not Eliot Ness, is he? Well, the native New Yorker in me wants something similar for Zen.

Most of all, I want criminal charges of harassment brought against him. Then I want to start a class action lawsuit against him for causing emotional distress. It's bad enough that we suffered emotionally through what we believed was his suicide, but there are some of us with emotional illnesses that seemed to suffer all the more for it. And money won't make me feel better, but it will certainly help pay for my needs in the immediate future. And for the cruelty he demonstrated during this hoax...? Well, he doesn't need a paycheck. Better his wages should be garnished and have it sent to everyone he hurt so we can have more toys with which to play.

Various people have been trying to console me during the aftermath of this hoax, and my thinking is that no explanation would be reasonable enough to tell us why this...creature...did what he did. And my above desires don't stem as much from me wanting revenge, so much as me wanting him to know there are consequences to one's actions, even if it's "just online."

The only good things that came from this are, of course, blessings in my mind. That the mods are so diligent. That this community cares so much for everyone who comes here. That the Giant also cares about "MY people." :smallwink: (Okay, we're actually HIS people, but I have apparently developed an ego recently.)

Be well, Playgrounders.

And Zen...if you're reading this, you need not be so well. In fact, you can shove a rod of ***** up your **** and ***** it. (All *'s added by me, since it's really not a sentiment to be clearly spoken of on GitP.)

Destro_Yersul
2010-10-30, 01:44 PM

In the interest of light humour...

http://mediaspin.com/blog/wp-images/mort_lemur1.jpg

I died! I did! Me me me me me!

Neko-chan
2010-10-30, 01:54 PM
*angry rant*

Wow... and here I thought if I posted, I might say something like this.... blast you Bor for beating me to it! =P

Anyways, my post shall consist of a snippet from my blog:

"How DARE he do something like this! Sitting here and trying to think of it rationally (and mostly failing), I think I am angry that he hurt so many people. People that have proven time and again (by way of reading Bor's blog) that they help one of their own."

And that's why I am mad at Zen. I joined this forums for multiple reasons, the biggest being that I wanted to get to know the people who have made a huge impact on my beloved's life in different ways. And then this guy goes and does something like this and it hurt a family deeply.

It's been said, but kudos to Giant and the others who brought this to light as a hoax.

CynicalAvocado
2010-10-30, 01:56 PM
no wonder i got nothing when i searched obits.com.au. :smallmad:

that is beyond low:smallfurious:

Water-Smurf
2010-10-30, 02:05 PM
[anger]

Oh, Bor. :smallfrown: I doubt I'm the only one to say that I was worried about how you'd feel about it. Don't let this ******* keep hurting you so much, alright? Then the troll wins. :smallannoyed: You're too good to be hurt.

Tirian
2010-10-30, 02:06 PM

There are currently 188 posts in this thread that these pranksters are reading right now (and I just watched a humorous YouTube video on the phenomenon of internet death hoaxes so it'll probably be quite a bit more by the time I get around to submitting). They know that they made a very large impact in the lives of many people. Even though it was all about making people sad and angry and cynical instead of bringing pleasure to the world, to some folk that's enough of a jolt to make them feel like they exist.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-30, 02:27 PM
Look. As much of an [Expletive] that this toad-sucker was, I'm far more proud of the community we have here.

Except that now who's gonna believe if I, say, got hit by a car tomorrow or something? :smallfrown:

Marnath
2010-10-30, 02:29 PM
Look. As much of an [Expletive] that this toad-sucker was, I'm far more proud of the community we have here.

Except that now who's gonna believe if I, say, got hit by a car tomorrow or something? :smallfrown:

I would! That won't happen though, you'll be fine. :smallsmile:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-10-30, 02:31 PM

I would be sad. Stay out of the road! *hugs*

Fiery Diamond
2010-10-30, 02:36 PM
I never knew Zen, and I didn't know about this until I spotted this thread about an hour and a half ago (which is how long it took me to read the whole thread), but I can say that I feel several things, all of which I would feel much more strongly if I had seen the threads.

1) Anger. That someone would hurt others like this is...unconscionable. This kind of thing is...beyond description.

2) Pity. If he wasn't a complete monster and sadist (which, given that some people said they liked him before this, seems possible) then he must be seriously screwed up mentally. As an individual with clinical depression and anxiety disorders myself, I recognize that it is very difficult to live with mental disorders without aid. He needs help.

3) Heartwarming. That the playground is such a loving, caring place. It is the internet, and there are occasions where things get heated and we get angry at one another; we do sometimes inadvertently offend one another. But we care, and we not only apologize for offense but come to others' aid in times of need.

4) Sadness. This one is minor, but I can't think of anyone in the Playground who knows me enough to even miss me if I suddenly disappeared. If something happened to me and you all found out, I'm sure you would be caring. But if I just vanished, I don't know that anyone would even realize I was gone. ... As an individual with very few friends in real life as well, this is somewhat distressing. This means that I must find a way to cultivate friendships with you guys!

5) Gratitude. Thank you, Giant and the mods. Thank you.

Savannah
2010-10-30, 02:50 PM

Hah! I was wondering if he really asked anyone else for that or if he was spinning me a tale! Sooooo glad I was too tired to open Inkscape yesterday :smallamused:

I'm hoping one of the mods can answer this. Is there any reasonable way to believe that he did things with no malicious intent? That he thought no one would take it seriously, or that it wouldn't affect people the way it has? That he seriously thought it would be amusing?

I am choosing to believe that he didn't expect the reaction that he got and brought Raptor in to reveal himself.....Evidence? Not really anything.....But it makes me happy, so I'm running with it.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-30, 02:54 PM
I do not mean this to be libel, but the individual that perpetrated this hoax probably has deep seeded mental problems, and has probably not been diagnosed or treated yet.

I do not think it is a good idea to focus on this person's motives, rather, we should focus on the ubiquitous and selfless display of empathy that the playground showed.

Oh, well, best of luck to the guy if that's the case, and I hope this sort of thing never happens again.

The fourth wall from OotS. *apologizes for the bad joke*

Fax Celestis
2010-10-30, 03:10 PM

With the administrative reaction to this incident, I feel fully confident in stating that should something like this happen again, the administrative team will investigate the issue and publicly verify the veracity of the claim should it be true. Further, those who present such threads (such as, god forbid, my wife should something happen to me), including a link to an obituary or similar should also render proof positive.

SurlySeraph
2010-10-30, 03:13 PM
You know, when I first saw that thread posted I'd just read a Cracked article involving people pretending to be dead online to get attention, and decided not to read it because a) I suspected it might be a hoax, and b) since I didn't know zenanarchist very well I wouldn't have much to say. I'm surprised, not particularly happily, that I was right.

Well, so long zen/Scion/etc. I vaguely recognized most of your names, and I hope you'll choose less stupid and emotionally manipulative ways of entertaining yourself in the future.

Mr. Moon
2010-10-30, 03:18 PM
*snip*

Bor, we love you. Please don't let this jerk hurt you. I know it's hard to change how you feel, but think about us. How we all came together. This is something to be proud of. We are awesome. All of us. :smallsmile:
Please be well.

Obrysii
2010-10-30, 03:24 PM
Wow.

I haven't read the whole thread - I just got home - but ... Wow.

I woke up today bummed out; partly because of how shocked such things can happen (as someone mentioned the whole 'momento mori' thing) ... and now.

Relief mixed with confusion.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-30, 03:31 PM
I have to agree, I had some time to think about the issue, I thought it would make me less angry, but the more I think about it the angrier I feel.

There are simply too many kind and great souls here in the playground, and I feel so sad that because just one ..... ( I don't have a word to describe him that wouldn't be picked up by the censor) so many people have suffered a great deal.

I also shed a tear for him when I read he had suicided; and it is really hard to to make me cry....

On a brighter note, the unity of the playground never ceases to amaze me, I really think we are more than just a community, we are a familiy, thanks.

Adumbration
2010-10-30, 03:32 PM
Saw some of the threads, didn't take part in them though - I've always thought it morbid for people to grieve over other people they don't really know and I suspect never really cared for while they lived.

Kind of a jerk thing for him to do, but personally I don't think it was the puppy-killing, kitten-drowning baby-beating atrocity some make it to be. Just another troll on an internet forum - nothing new under the sun.

RationalGoblin
2010-10-30, 03:34 PM
Saw some of the threads, didn't take part in them though - I've always thought it morbid for people to grieve over other people they don't really know and I suspect never really cared for while they lived.

Kind of a jerk thing for him to do, but personally I don't think it was the puppy-killing, kitten-drowning baby-beating atrocity some make it to be. Just another troll on an internet forum - nothing new under the sun.

That's the thing, though. These forums haven't had trolls this high-profile for a long time. We aren't used to trolling.

Savannah
2010-10-30, 03:37 PM
I've always thought it morbid for people to grieve over other people they don't really know and I suspect never really cared for while they lived.

Hey, now. I may not have known him in real life, but I did care about him. I care about all my players (and DMs and fellow players).

Cobra_Ikari
2010-10-30, 03:38 PM
I try to care about people until they give me reason to do otherwise. Like...this guy did.

Not capable of grieving, though, so... =\

Spiryt
2010-10-30, 03:39 PM

Uh, maybe I visit wrong forums, and generally don't read so much, but I can't recall such complicated, elaborate trolling, involving many accounts, "personal" info and stuff...

Pretty lame really that someone put so much effort in something that pointless...

hamishspence
2010-10-30, 03:46 PM
Uh, maybe I visit wrong forums, and generally don't read so much, but I can't recall such complicated, elaborate trolling, involving many accounts, "personal" info and stuff...

I haven't seen much of that sort of thing personally- but I don't post much in the Friendly Banter section.

TV Tropes does mention a few notable cases of sock-puppet use though:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SockPuppet

Cheesy74
2010-10-30, 03:58 PM
Munchausen's syndrome is a pretty powerful thing. I suspect that, or something along those lines, was his main motivation. Attention through pity and worry in the face of a false tragedy.

And you guys gave it to him. Not because you all are gullible or too soft, but because you're not jerks. You saw someone on the brink and thought that the best thing to do was cast aside suspicion and help him. And that's admirable.
I'm glad to be joining this community, even if I wasn't one of the ones that helped him.

Adumbration
2010-10-30, 04:03 PM
That's the thing, though. These forums haven't had trolls this high-profile for a long time. We aren't used to trolling.

Pretty lame really that someone put so much effort in something that pointless...

Trolling is all about attention. Depending on the perpetrator, it may also be about recognition one receives on some other place. But mostly about attention - and on that score, this particular troll really hit the nail on the head. So pointless? Not for him - he got his kicks out of us, and still does, probably reading this thread with each announcement of anger or disappointment sending thrills down his spine.

On a principle, I'm against this kind of threads. In a way, this is glorifying the perpetrator - I've seen more than one remark admiring him for his skills and dedication. Another thing he probably enjoys seeing. I can understand the need for this hashing out, but in the end - along with closure to other members of this forum - it is more attention for the guy.

Hey, now. I may not have known him in real life, but I did care about him. I care about all my players (and DMs and fellow players).

That I can understand. The occasions when someone started their post by saying that they hardly remember the guy and then proclaiming their neverending grief and sympathy? Not so much. But maybe it's a cultural thing, don't know. It's just something that I wouldn't do.

Syka
2010-10-30, 04:10 PM
First, it IS possible for such a tragic event dying. A college friend of my boyfriend's lost his wife and 7 month old son after he fell asleep at the wheel of his car mere days before Christmas a couple years back. It is an incredibly horrible thing to live through, even more particularly when you are the 'cause', and I didn't doubt for a second someone would kill themself if the same thing happened to them. I think the only reason my boyfriend's friend got through is he had such a huge emotional support system and his wife's family supported him, as well.

Aside from that, I'm not surprised it's a hoax. I go in to every such situation not doubting. I will never doubt. I did not see this one as a hoax, and wasn't around for when it got suspicious. I have been trolled IRL. A friend 'introduced' me to someone who supposedly gone to middle school with us when I was 13, said friend then said he was committing suicide and I was freaking out with this other person. My mom and I were finally able to AOL to contact his local police station (he'd moved) and found out it was all a 'joke'.

I also moderated a forum about two years ago that I was part of for a few years. A surprising amount of multiple accounts and all that occurred. There were a number of suicide threats, some reported 'deaths'. It's also surprisingly easy to check up on things like this with what mod's and admin have access to. The hardest part was handling suicide threats- a forum's responsibility towards members threatening death is not really clear. In my time we never contacted anyone's authorities that I know of, but it's easy to see when accounts are being faked.

Even so, I will never doubt a suicide threat; I will never doubt a death. Unless given proof it is faked, my sympathy will always be extended to the family and friends. I will never feel bad about that.

Also, in the event of my death, I want Oz, my mom, or sister to let y'all know if something happens. I'm not sure how to verify, but I'll probably tell them to link to an obit copy or some such. I'd say that's probably the best way to avoid someone thinking your death is a hoax.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2010-10-30, 04:16 PM
Folks, relax. My anger is all drained now. I'm the good, pleasant, and wise Bor from before. I made my vent. That's it. In the hours since I made that post, the mods have not come breathing down my neck. I made sure there wasn't anything in there that violated the forum rules. I even cleaned up the quote from The Untouchables. My last sentence may have been treading the line of the rules, but it was a one-off kind of thing.

As for Zen...although I made numerous wishes that were chock full of vitriol, I think the knowledge, when he wakes up to it, that he lost so many great people he could have called friends will be enough of a punishment,

Be well. :smallsmile:

Tiger Duck
2010-10-30, 04:29 PM
Glad to hear you are doing okay mister Bor.

It was kind of saddening to read how it had affected you. So I'm glad you feel better after venting.

Mando Knight
2010-10-30, 04:31 PM
edit: oh, and hats off to our Detective Staff for sorting this out!

Indeed.

...What song by The Who would be appropriate for CSI: Playground?

Adumbration
2010-10-30, 04:40 PM
Indeed.

...What song by The Who would be appropriate for CSI: Playground?

My vote's on Pinball Wizard.

... Don't ask why.

Shyftir
2010-10-30, 04:54 PM
I'm mostly just annoyed because he was supposed to DM a campaign that looked like fun.

Maybe I'm a heartless individual, but I heard "somebody killed himself" and thought, "Oh. That sucks. But it's not like I knew the guy...."

I'm sorry you all seem like great people but I've had too many people I actually know attempt/commit suicide to be overly distraught about some guy who occasionally posts on the forum I frequent.

Mr. Moon
2010-10-30, 04:58 PM
Folks, relax. My anger is all drained now. I'm the good, pleasant, and wise Bor from before.

:smallsmile: I'm glad.
Love you, Bor.

Doc Roc
2010-10-30, 05:03 PM
For the sake of clarification, I had nothing to do with this despite the similarity of names in one of the involved. I hopped on to clear this up, and I'm sorry that my only involvement in this fiasco was a selfish protestation of innocence after the storm blew over.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-30, 05:04 PM
I'm mostly just annoyed because he was supposed to DM a campaign that looked like fun.

I wanted to play that Warblade, too... :smallfrown:

Adumbration
2010-10-30, 05:06 PM
For the sake of clarification, I had nothing to do with this despite the similarity of names in one of the involved. I hopped on to clear this up, and I'm sorry that my only involvement in this fiasco was a selfish protestation of innocence after the storm blew over.

I actually had to check one of the threads you have posts in (the insanity of gia vs doc roc, no other) to see if you had been banned over this. Much rejoicement over the retainment of a major faculty of PO/TO on the forums. And a good guy, of course. Not necessarily in that order.

Boci
2010-10-30, 05:06 PM

Its perfectly understandable. I made the same mistake and was hurriedly searching for the test of spite thread thinking "Surely not, surely not".

The Dark Fiddler
2010-10-30, 05:11 PM
I wanted to play that Warblade, too... :smallfrown:

And I wanted to play the rogue I made for one of his campaigns... and the game in his memory, too.

Eh, I'm really apathetic to this, honestly. I mean, I felt bad when he said his fiance was killed, and I remembered him well for the time I thought he was dead. I suppose I'm kinda used to stuff like this? I dunno.

Still really impressed by the outpouring of support the playground gave. That's the whole reason I mentioned this thing to my mom, because it was so impressive.

Eon
2010-10-30, 05:11 PM
Folks, relax. My anger is all drained now. I'm the good, pleasant, and wise Bor from before. I made my vent. That's it. In the hours since I made that post, the mods have not come breathing down my neck. I made sure there wasn't anything in there that violated the forum rules. I even cleaned up the quote from The Untouchables. My last sentence may have been treading the line of the rules, but it was a one-off kind of thing.

As for Zen...although I made numerous wishes that were chock full of vitriol, I think the knowledge, when he wakes up to it, that he lost so many great people he could have called friends will be enough of a punishment,

Be well. :smallsmile:

I'm glad to hear it Bor. You be well, also.

Lillith
2010-10-30, 05:40 PM
You know this whole situation has got me thinking. If something were to happen to me *knocks on wood* nobody here would know about it. Hell, cause of my LDR, my boyfriend might be completely forgotten for a couple of days and it would be a pain for my parents to find his phone number too. ><

Then when I thought about how I could leave a message about letting people on the forum know, I figured it would be a hard task of verifying it. If you google my real name you wouldn't find any hits. I have no Facebook, Twitter or whatever (amazing isn't it?), so I should prolly write down for my parents that they should link to an obituary or something. :smallsigh: My boyfriend would have an easy time to log in here and let people know.

littlebottom
2010-10-30, 05:56 PM
you all might think of me as a bad person, but i found the first post to be highly suspect, thus i didnt post in the thread about the suicide...

well the fact that the poster reported it the same day. if that was me and someone i knew well enough that they posted regularily on a particular forum died from such a tragic story, it would take me a while to get my head right to report such a thing to a bunch of strangers on the internet.

there were a couple of other things, but i felt really bad for suspecting it for being false so i shut up and ignored it. i just found out it was fake and it makes me feel a little better that i suspected it to be, since if it wasnt, id feel like a really bad person.:smallfrown:

even though it turned out to be fake... im sorry for even suspecting it, it makes me feel bad.

Elfin
2010-10-30, 06:07 PM
I'm glad you're OK, Bor. :smallsmile:

Savannah
2010-10-30, 06:10 PM
even though it turned out to be fake... im sorry for even suspecting it, it makes me feel bad.

Don't feel bad, it's quite reasonable given that we had no way to verify it. I was suspicious as well, but decided to treat it as if real until I saw more evidence.

pendell
2010-10-30, 06:41 PM
After examining information both from our own forum database and various external websites (and offline sources), the moderation staff of Giant in the Playground has determined to our satisfaction that the reported suicide of GITP poster zenanarchist was, in fact, part of an elaborate hoax. We do not know, at this time, to what end.

However, we have made enough different connections to know that zenanarchist, ScionOfBlades (the poster who reported the suicide), and RaptorRider (the poster who recently claimed to be the "real" person displayed in photos posted by zenanarchist) are all the same person, all using the same computer (sometimes within seconds of one another). Other aliases on this site include BladedWarlord, -Baldur-, WorldWalker, Octopus Garden and DocRock. We know the poster's real name, address, current employer, and most importantly, that he is still alive. We have no knowledge regarding the alleged death of his fiancé at this time.

All related accounts are being banned, and steps are being taken to prevent this individual from ever participating in the Giant in the Playground message board again. At this time, we cannot reveal all of the methods used to make these determinations, but I want to personally assure you that we would not be making this announcement if we were not absolutely certain.

And on a personal note, I'd like to apologize for not getting this removed sooner, but certain key pieces of evidence did not come to light until now.

In that case, I must tip my hat both to Rich Burlew personality and the mods here, whom I now dub the PBI (Playground Bureau of Investigation). It is disappointing that an individual should go to such lengths to play such an elaborate and cruel trick. It is doubly disappoing that the staff had to leave their normal jobs and lives to play detective for who knows how long.

But I thank you for your hard work and efforts on our behalf. It's not much, I know, but I don't know what else to do.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Kastanok
2010-10-30, 06:48 PM
What a strange thing to do.

Of course, multiple accounts are incredibly obvious to any website manager with the slightest reason to suspect them.

Lilith: It's an interesting quandary, isn't it? For myself, I could go missing for weeks before someone seriously thinks there might be something strange. They'd think my net is down or my mobile is uncharged or they just haven't caught me when I've been home.

Actually, that's quite tempting... just to run without notice, I mean.

Lioness
2010-10-30, 06:59 PM
*sigh*

Now I'm immediately slightly suspicious of any "new" account (last few months) who is suddenly posting a lot and I've never seen before. :smallfrown:

Jaaaaaaded.

Maximum Zersk
2010-10-30, 07:02 PM
Wait, what happened?

pendell
2010-10-30, 07:21 PM
Y'know what bugs me? In addition to playing with the emotions of people here, many of whom are quite vulnerable, he also wasted Rich Burlew's time. Which means that time Rich could have spent drawing the comic was spent dealing with the emotional fallout of this prank.

That's a very small thing compared to the magnitude of hurting people here, some of whom are hurting just a little more because of it, but it is a real thing nonetheless.

I'm willing to show mercy, but to me justice would be to tally up the total number of labor hours spent solving this mess -- not only in investigation time but in grief counseling -- and send him the bill.

Mercy is to just let him go. He's cut himself off from people who could have been his friends.

Sadly,

Brian P.

ThreadKiller
2010-10-30, 07:25 PM
What an unfortunate event. The internet is definitely a place where people can either be themselves, or not. Kudos to all the genuine people out there. :smallsmile:

Blue Ghost
2010-10-30, 07:26 PM
Um... what? No... this is not possible...

Well, I really don't know what to say. But... Thank you, Playground. This fiasco was for me a time of great moral and spiritual growth. While this does not at all condone what Zen did (and sure as hell I'm mad), what I've learned here will not go to waste.

Worlok
2010-10-30, 07:33 PM
Now I'm immediately slightly suspicious of any "new" account (last few months) who is suddenly posting a lot and I've never seen before.
I can assure you that I, for once, am innocent, I'm just talky. And following this whole ugly affair, I feel really stupid, what with having seen episodes exactly the same in idea and execution go down five times before on various message boards and still not having reached a "safe" level of cynicism towards such things. I mean, I don't really know whether that is a bad sign or not, but it still isn't that nice a feeling. Sort of... clueless rage paired with short-term misanthropy. :smallconfused:

What is definitely a good thing - or at least considered such by me - is how the Playground has acted. In a time of perceived tragedy, we came together and were ready as well as willing to see each other through. This may be the single most functional community on the web these days. :smallsmile:

Keld Denar
2010-10-30, 08:32 PM

Now I feel bad for having any doubts against you. I'm glad you weren't involved. I didn't think it was something you would perpetrate, but the internet is a crazy place and no matter how well you think you know someone...

Tinkee
2010-10-30, 09:28 PM
Wow.... crazy. Good detective work!

Melayl
2010-10-30, 09:40 PM
I am of several emotions on this; none of them are really negative.

First off, gladness that the individual is alive. In general, I like it when people live, and there are few about whom I feel the opposite.

Next, pride and happiness at the behavior of this community in the hoax thread. It showed a great level of compassion and human kindness, rare things on the Net (and RL) today.

Pride also (mixed with a little awe) for Rich and the Admin/Mod staff for not only caring enough to check, but also for tracking down the truth and being so honest with us about it.

Lastly, pity. Pity for the individual who did this. I realize some of you were more personally invested in him/her/it than I, and that you have (rightly) some anger about this. I feel pity for the individual for having lost such a wonderful gift as your friendship and trust. I doubt there's much worse we could do to him/her/it than that.

In light of the above, I would ask this of you all: Instead of feeling anger, feel joy. Joy that you are part of such a wonderful community. Joy at the demonstration of human (and other species) goodness shown in the original thread, and in many other threads here. Joy that you've been shown how precious you all are.

Use this experience, as some already have, to see how precious your lives and the lives around you are. Use it to remind others of how precious they are. To see how truly cared for you all are, both by those here and in the Real World. Take this as an opportunity to see and seek the joy and happiness found in the world.

Peace be with all of you,

Melayl

Mando Knight
2010-10-30, 09:49 PM
*sigh*

Now I'm immediately slightly suspicious of any "new" account (last few months) who is suddenly posting a lot and I've never seen before. :smallfrown:

Jaaaaaaded.
J-j-j-j-jaded... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0)

Jacklu
2010-10-31, 12:04 AM

-_-

I think Bor's rant pretty much sums up my feelings on this.

I tend to believe people without question. Call it a fatal flaw of mine. I am also rather... emotionally vulnerable to stuff like this. Clearly another flaw I need to deal with. I lost sleep over this. I got into a rather unstable emotional state over this.

I have only one question: Is there any form of IRL action being taken against this person that would lie and hurt and feed on the turmoil he created? Either he is a malicious person who did this to hurt us, or he is a sick individual in need of professional help.

I think right now I am most angry about what this means to those who interacted with him in the depression thread. I know that kind words can make a world of difference when people are in a dangerous place, and finding out those words were blatant lies... :smallannoyed: :smallmad: :smallfurious: Please let us know what kind, if any, or IRL action is being taken...

THAC0
2010-10-31, 12:32 AM

I have only one question: Is there any form of IRL action being taken against this person that would lie and hurt and feed on the turmoil he created? Either he is a malicious person who did this to hurt us, or he is a sick individual in need of professional help.

I really don't think that IRL action is legally warranted... unless Australia's laws are quite different from what I am aware of.

arguskos
2010-10-31, 12:38 AM
I really don't think that IRL action is legally warranted... unless Australia's laws are quite different from what I am aware of.
Or that there's anything we COULD do. I mean, what'd he do? He broke some forum rules concerning multi-accounts and he was a **** to some people online. Let's be honest, much as this entire affair has been disappointing and emotionally damaging, there is *nothing* we can do about it.

EDIT: Understand, I'm not making light of the emotional turmoil he caused, but from a frank viewpoint, he didn't do anything punishable.

Jacklu
2010-10-31, 12:59 AM
-_- Fine. Can we at least coat his car in peanut butter and tar and feather his house?

absolmorph
2010-10-31, 01:16 AM
-_- Fine. Can we at least coat his car in peanut butter and tar and feather his house?
The house does not deserve our wrath!

Serpentine
2010-10-31, 01:20 AM
Maybe, in the interest of forum decorum, we could let these two topics lie?Regarding the first, it would have been nice to have had the affair made clear at the time so that, for example, I didn't go around perpetuating the memory of a fraud like a fool.
Regarding the second, I don't understand how it's a "forum decorum" issue for us to remain in ignorance of what forum members have really, truly, left the forum. How does uncertainty benefit the boards?
Now I'm immediately slightly suspicious of any "new" account (last few months) who is suddenly posting a lot and I've never seen before. :smallfrown:I've had 3 different newbies ask to use one of my avatars in the last couple of days. I've already made one for a fraud, and another for someone I suspect was a fraud. This is getting depressing :smallsigh:
-_- Fine. Can we at least coat his car in peanut butter and tar and feather his house?Maybe, but we're not allowed to talk about it :smallwink:

Mr. Moon
2010-10-31, 01:21 AM
Seems like a waste of peanut butter.
On the other hand, I do have a bunch of cans of shaving cream laying around. That stuff expands in the sun, right? :smallamused:

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-31, 01:23 AM
I ahve some paintball guns, and a nerf launcher that can fire off smoke grenades.

Temotei
2010-10-31, 01:23 AM
Seems like a waste of peanut butter.
On the other hand, I do have a bunch of cans of shaving cream laying around. That stuff expands in the sun, right? :smallamused:

I wouldn't know. I dry-shave. :smalltongue:

Now, Gorilla Glue...I know how that works. Mmm...:smallcool:

Still, I would never do that to someone. I'm more into telling them off.