PDA

View Full Version : New (Homebrewed) Luck Feats

Avyctes
2010-10-30, 12:34 PM
While creating a character based off of the Luck feats presented in Complete Scoundrel, and quickly realized that not all of these applied to my character's overall theme. To compensate for this, and the general lack of additional luck feats online, I created the following:

Fortuitous Dodge [Luck]
More often than not, your reflexes are outshined by your luck.
You can expend one luck reroll as an immediate action to reroll any Reflex Save.
You gain one luck reroll per day.

Fortune's Fortitude [Luck]
More often than not, your luck outshines your natural fortitude.
You can expend one luck reroll as an immediate action to reroll any Fortitude Save.

Lucky Guess [Luck]
The winds of fortune guide your mind to answers you might not have known you possessed.
You can expend one luck reroll to reroll any Knowledge check.
Special: Unlike most other luck feats, using Lucky Guess requires no action.

Lucky Resolve [Luck]
More often than not, your inherent luck overshadows your steeled will.
You can expend one luck reroll as an immediate action to reroll any Will Save.

Magician's Luck [Luck]
The basic skills that make a proficient practitioner of the art come to you with surprising ease.
Pre: Caster level 1st.
You can expend one luck reroll as an immediate action to reroll any Concentration, Spellcraft, or Use Magic Device check.

Profound Luck [Luck]
Pre: Character level 12th, any three other luck feats.
When utilizing a luck reroll, you may choose the higher of the two rolls.
You gain two luck rerolls per day.
Normal: A character utilizing a luck reroll must take the results of the reroll, even if they are lower than the original roll.

Serendipity [Luck]
Fortune follows your every move, for you are a paragon of luck.
Pre: Character level 6th, Unbelievable Luck and any two other Luck feats.
As long as you possess at least one luck reroll remaining for the day, you gain a +1 luck bonus to Armor Class.
You gain two luck rerolls per day.

EDIT(11/01/2010): Profound Luck feat now counted as 'metaluck' feat, increase rerolls per day granted to 2.

Cieyrin
2010-10-30, 01:17 PM
Seems balanced and functional to me, though I think Profound Luck should provide 2 luck rerolls, since it's a 'metaluck' feat.

Avyctes
2010-11-01, 12:15 PM
Seems balanced and functional to me, though I think Profound Luck should provide 2 luck rerolls, since it's a 'metaluck' feat.

Hmm. Good point. On that logic, however, Serendipity should also provide 2 luck rerolls since, like Unbelievable Luck, it requires you to possess a luck reroll to maintain the bonus.

My only problem with this is that it means that PC can acquire a much larger number of rerolls for their level than the original feats could ever grant.

What do you think?

EDIT: Whoops. I didn't realize I had already done that.

Cieyrin
2010-11-01, 01:58 PM
My only problem with this is that it means that PC can acquire a much larger number of rerolls for their level than the original feats could ever grant.

What do you think?

Considering the requirements, you have to be pretty dedicated or a Fortune's Friend to even to get to them, so being rewarded for your devotion to ekeing out luck feats should be rewarded.

Fruchtkracher
2010-11-01, 03:55 PM
Seeing how we already have a feat in the original Complete Scoundrel that let's us reroll any failed save a feat for either a fortitude, reflex or will save seems kinda weak...
Sure, the original could only be taken at level 9 or later, but perhaps you could add a +2 or +3 bonus to the reroll.

Lucky guess would be more usefull - and it would fit in flavour - if you ccould guess wildly on untrained knowledge checks, perhaps in exchange for one luck reroll spent.

Serendipity is just weak. +1 to AC if you do not use all of your precious rerolls?
I'd increase the AC bonus as you either gain more levels or better yet more luck rerolls, and/or add a save bonus to it =)

Realms of Chaos
2010-11-01, 11:08 PM
How is serendipidy weak? :smallconfused:

This feat could just as easily state that you gain a luck reroll and an unconditional +1 bonus to your AC and that would be downright decent but this feat is even better as it effectively lets you trade that bonus for another reroll.

If you take a moment to look around, 99% of all feats that add to your AC provide only a +1 bonus. Improved Natural Armor, Draconic Skin, Dodge, Psionic Dodge, and Shield Specialization make that pretty clear.

While this doesn't stack up against similar aberrant and abyssal heritor feats, it really shouldn't have to. Even if it isn't the strongest of AC-boosting feats, I'd actually say that it's on the high end of the curve compared with the other feats listed above. Add in that the double reroll makes this one of the more powerful luck feats and you have something pretty solid for any luck-based character.

Avyctes
2010-11-03, 02:56 AM
Seeing how we already have a feat in the original Complete Scoundrel that let's us reroll any failed save a feat for either a fortitude, reflex or will save seems kinda weak...
Sure, the original could only be taken at level 9 or later, but perhaps you could add a +2 or +3 bonus to the reroll.
Hmm. Although I agree with your point, the non-prerequisite luck feats in Complete Scoundrel that are first available to player quite consistently grant a lesser version of a higher level luck feat (such as any of the luck feats that grant the ability to reroll 3 specific kinds of skill checks compared to the higher version that simply allows for the rerolling of any skill check). Due to this, I try to keep the power of homebrewed luck feats that lack any prerequisite equal to those of the other non-prerequisite luck feats.

Lucky guess would be more usefull - and it would fit in flavour - if you ccould guess wildly on untrained knowledge checks, perhaps in exchange for one luck reroll spent.
At first I thought that allowing the rerolling of any Knowledge skill would be too powerful in comparison to the other skill check oriented luck rerolls. After your comment, however, I am thinking you have a point there.

Serendipity is just weak. +1 to AC if you do not use all of your precious rerolls?
I'd increase the AC bonus as you either gain more levels or better yet more luck rerolls, and/or add a save bonus to it =)
I think I will keep this one the same for a very simple reason: it is one of the more character-friendly and down-right stronger luck feats in the bunch. Not only does it grant a +1 bonus to AC (such as that granted by Improved Natural Armor), but the bonus is a luck bonus that applies to all armor classes, regardless of circumstance. In addition, it grants two luck rerolls, which are like gold to a luck-based character.