PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Questions

shadow_archmagi
2010-10-30, 01:12 PM
Is it possible to make an item with an infusion as the effect? An Eternal Wand of Augment Natural Weapon, for example? Scroll of Repair Construct?

Wand of Spell Storing Item?

EDIT: Oh, and while I'm at it, do the Enhancement line of infusions work on already-magical items? That is, if I have a +1 sword, can I make it into a +1 Flaming Sword?

EDIT2: Are the natural weapons of manufactured creatures counted as weapons or natural weapons for the purposes of infusions?

That is, does my robo-dog's bite count for Greater Weapon Enhancement?

EDIT3: The Persistant Harrier has "2d10" listed under Hit Dice. However, its description states that "Harriers with more than one hit die can be created at the cost of 2000 extra per hit die."

Does this mean that the Persistant Harrier's natural Hit Die is in fact, 2d10, and that improving it grants it another 2d10? It seems like this could go either way, because

A. The persistant harrier's job is to stand in the middle of combat and grant flanking bonuses, so being extremely tough would make sense.
A2. The packmate's description notes "Packmates with more than two hit die can be created at the cost of 2000 gp per extra hit die"

B. It would be a pretty easy typo to make, and it seems strange that you could roll two dice per hit die.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-10-30, 04:02 PM
Without playing an artificer or examining the rules in detail, I couldn't answer your main question. The line in the artificer description about Light would seem to imply no, because if he was able to make an infusion-wand he'd just make an infusion-wand of Light. However, minor schema (which resemble eternal wands) can use infusions, and there might be a caveat about infusion-wands later. On the other hand, eternal wands can't.

Warning: pedantry ahead. Also ignorance of errata, which might change after an edit.

The Augmentation line of infusions makes no reference to the target needing to be nonmagical. As a ridiculously rules-lawyery reading comprehension sidenote, Lesser Weapon Augmentation doesn't seem to remove the personal restriction; all it says any character can wield the weapon you augment, which isn't the same as saying they can use the augmentation.

Regarding manufactured weapons, the Monster Manual never rigorously defines manufactured weapons, so one would likely default to the dictionary definition. The bite of an iron defender would fit that definition. The consistent description of natural and manufactured weapons might imply they're mutually exclusive despite the lack of an explicit statement to that effect, but I'd rather not infer a metagame rules restriction like that.

What is "Greater Weapon Enhancement"? I think it's Weapon Augmentation but I'm not entirely sure. Using the exact text of that infusion, any weapon will work but it must be wielded, thrown, or fired; it would depend on how you interpret "wield" whether or not the bite would count. (You would also have to touch the bite, which would also depend on the definition of bite).

Regarding the Persistent Harrier, the quote is actually "A persistent harrier with more than 1 Hit Die can be created, but each additional Hit Die adds 2,000 gp to the cost to create." IMO the difference matters, as
1) It's easier to mistype 1 as 2 than it is to mistype "one" as "two"
2) Your statement could imply that the initial HD is disregarded for the multiplication.

If I were running by intent, I'd probably say pricing works like the packmate. If I were strictly interpreting rules, I'd say that you can create a persistent harrier with more than 1 Hit Die, and, in fact, you MUST create a persistent harrier with more than 1 Hit Die, since the baseline one has 2 HD. The Hit Die is 1d10 regardless.

Lamech
2010-10-30, 04:26 PM
Regarding manufactured weapons, the Monster Manual never rigorously defines manufactured weapons, so one would likely default to the dictionary definition. The bite of an iron defender would fit that definition. The consistent description of natural and manufactured weapons might imply they're mutually exclusive despite the lack of an explicit statement to that effect, but I'd rather not infer a metagame rules restriction like that.
Regarding manufatured weapons:

scroll down to manufactured weapons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#manufacturedWeapons)

in essence, any weapon that is not intrinsic to the creature.
As you can see a bite attack is not a manufactured weapon in the least. That would be a natural weapon which is anything that is part of the creature.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-10-30, 04:30 PM
Regarding manufatured weapons:

Right, then; I only saw the "Creatures that use swords, bows, spears, and the like" part. Disregard my post.