PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Urpriest PrC, and Amaunator

herrhauptmann
2010-10-30, 03:18 PM
Well everyone knows how Ur-priest is a fairly powerful divine PrC, particularly if combined with another class that advances divine casting and something else.
Like the mystic theurge which advances divine and arcane, though there's also options for what, invocations/arcane, invocations/divine, arcane/psi?

There's also the adaptation section of the Ur-Priest which states that it can be used for people who have been cut off from the deities, or worship deceased/inactive deities like Baal and Amaunator in Forgotten Realms.

Last night, I started working on a rather unusual character idea. A character who worships Amaunator enters into Ur-Priest, then after 2 levels or so enters into Sunmaster (lost empires of faerun).
Obviously I came upon a number of problems. Among them, the large number of skills I needed for each: Knowledge skills: Religion 8, Arcana 5, History 8, Geography 4, Planes 5, as well as Spellcraft 8, and Bluff 6.
3 feats. Sunmaster requires Servant of the fallen, while Ur priest requires Iron Will and Spell focus (evil).

The problem is some of the other aspects. Urpriest requires an evil character, though in this case I think refluffing it to a lawful character, with spell focus(law) would be appropriate. [Amaunator is a LN judge type].
Sunmaster however, requires 2 domains, something which UrPriest does not grant.

Currently the character is at level 6, with cloistered cleric 1 (for skills and domains), and wiz 3, ftr 1, rogue 1 (for bluff). Entering into Ur priest means that I lose access to my cleric casting, which is fine since the other 5 levels still boost my Ur Priest CL. But does that immediately deny me entry into Sunmaster? Because I'm not sure if I'd still count as having access to my domains.

Other questions, does anyone have suggestions I could ask the DM for? Different interpretations, alterations of PrC's? Like taking Heretic of the Faith: Risen Sun (lathander will be reborn as amaunator), instead of servant of the fallen:Amaunator, for entry into the Sunmaster?
Although now that I look at the epic cleric in Power of Faerun, he's a sunmaster 10, but has heretic of the faith instead of servant of the fallen.

I could circumvent a lot of this by just playing a Cleric, perhaps a few levels of RSoL, then convert to the heresy around level 9 or 12, and start taking Sunmaster then. (The capstone ability of sunform doesn't really seem all that interesting to me...)

Oh yes, at this point, my only cross class skills are survival, martial lore, and psicraft. And I've got able learner, so even then, I buy them at 1 for 1.

Urpriest
2010-10-30, 03:34 PM
You rang???

Anyway, my reading of the Ur-Priest says you have to lose the divine spellcasting before entering the class, since it's a requirement, not a class feature. This essentially means that shortly before leveling you become an ex-cleric, at which point you use the ex-cleric rules from the PHB, which unfortunately take away all class features including domains (whether it would take away domains traded for devotion feats is a stickier question). So you can't keep your domains, and would probably have to regain the domain with something like Contemplative.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-30, 03:43 PM
You rang???
Hah, totally forgot about you. Thread title changed.

This essentially means that shortly before leveling you become an ex-cleric, at which point you use the ex-cleric rules from the PHB, which unfortunately take away all class features including domains (whether it would take away domains traded for devotion feats is a stickier question).

And excleric says "loses all spells and class features, " with domains being a class feature, crap.
Where does it say that I can trade regular domains for Devotion feats? I briefly considered wizard with devotions, but decided against it. Seemed like far too many feats to take for such a weird character concept.

Urpriest
2010-10-30, 03:48 PM
Where does it say that I can trade regular domains for Devotion feats?

Complete Champion, top of page 53

SurlySeraph
2010-10-30, 03:48 PM
@^: Complete Champion, if I remember right.

Also, you could go into Ur-Priest, and take levels in Contemplative and/or anything else that grants domains to qualify for Sunmaster.

Cloistered Cleric gets all Knowledges as class skills, which helps. I *think* there's a domain that grants Bluff as a class skill, and other than that you should be fine.

Godskook
2010-10-30, 04:04 PM
There are divine prestige classes that grant domains, and I'm pretty sure you can work it so that the ones you want are easily available. Sovereign Speaker, for example, if you're willing to continue the refluffing.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-30, 05:32 PM
Sovereign Speaker is from Eberron isn't it? (actually don't have any of those books, even in pdf. Was so disappointed with most of the novels I tried, never wanted to try a game in the setting).

Checking how to swap domains for devotions.
Got just a question,

In addition you can choose to give up access to a domain in exchange for the corresponding domain feat. Doing so allows you to select up to 3 domain feats devotions
Gonna stick to saying devotions, rather than domain feats...
I assume they're referring to a character (without the human bonus feat), being a level 1 cleric, swapping both domains for devotions, then using his 1st level feat for an extra devotion?

Urpriest
2010-10-30, 05:40 PM
Sovereign Speaker is from Eberron isn't it? (actually don't have any of those books, even in pdf. Was so disappointed with most of the novels I tried, never wanted to try a game in the setting).

Checking how to swap domains for devotions.
Got just a question,

Gonna stick to saying devotions, rather than domain feats...
I assume they're referring to a character (without the human bonus feat), being a level 1 cleric, swapping both domains for devotions, then using his 1st level feat for an extra devotion?

They're referring to any character with 3 or more domains. Cloistered Clerics, for example, or Sovereign Speakers/Contemplatives

Foryn Gilnith
2010-10-30, 06:32 PM
They're referring to any character with 3 or more domains. Cloistered Clerics, for example, or Sovereign Speakers/Contemplatives

No, there's generally a hard cap on devotion feats. Giving up a domain (or multiple ones) is the only way to exceed the cap, and then only by 1.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-31, 07:05 PM
No, there's generally a hard cap on devotion feats. Giving up a domain (or multiple ones) is the only way to exceed the cap, and then only by 1.

Yeah, CChamp says to have my devotions tied together in some way, right?
First: similar to those of my chosen deity.
Second:If my character has no deity, they have to be well tied in with his personality/goals/beliefs (so a dumb as a rock barbarian would never get knowledge devotion),
Third: A person can't take opposing devotions. Good/evil, Law/chaos.

And the last is what, just a hard limit of 2 for a normal (non divine) class?

Foryn Gilnith
2010-10-31, 07:09 PM
And the last is what, just a hard limit of 2 for a normal (non divine) class?

Yes. Page 52, right column, fourth paragraph, third sentence.

The Glyphstone
2010-10-31, 07:31 PM
You'll probably have arcane spellcaster levels in their somewhere for the requirements, so you could burn two feat slots on Arcane Disciple x2.