PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Best combat familiar match-up for a Duskblade?

Coidzor
2010-10-30, 04:04 PM
So, I was working on a Duskblade build (ECL 8 to start), but wasn't sure what kind of familiar would be the most ferocious auxiliary combatant/flanker.

Or is this misguided and a more utility-oriented familiar like an imp or other familiar that can use tools and magic items would be better even with the BAB/HP of a combat focused Duskblade master?

dsmiles
2010-10-30, 04:24 PM
So, I was working on a Duskblade build (ECL 8 to start), but wasn't sure what kind of familiar would be the most ferocious auxiliary combatant/flanker.

Or is this misguided and a more utility-oriented familiar like an imp or other familiar that can use tools and magic items would be better even with the BAB/HP of a combat focused Duskblade master?

Can you get a weasel, then cast enlarge animal on it? Or perhaps a racoon, they have cute little hands, and with a familiar's intelligence, they could be taught to use simple tools.

SurlySeraph
2010-10-30, 04:37 PM
There are combat familiars in Complete Warrior that you might find useful; a Winter Wolf would be pretty nice.

true_shinken
2010-10-30, 06:34 PM
Winter wolf seems to be ranked pretty high, but a properly equiped imp is just nasty.
But are sure burning two feats on that is worth it?

realbombchu
2010-10-31, 12:49 AM
I like blink dogs, also from Complete Warrior's improved familiars list. Blink dogs are good at flanking, but yeah, imps are very powerful familiars too.

Akal Saris
2010-10-31, 01:29 AM
I'd go with a winter wolf, especially if one of the PCs can ride it as well.