PDA

View Full Version : Coat of Arms

true_shinken
2010-10-30, 07:24 PM
I currently have an NPC sorcerer that uses the Coat of Arms spell (from Spell Compendium, I believe) to fuel Blade of Force (she is a gishy half-vampire).
The spell feels really lackluster, though - the only real use seems to be making people avoid grappling here. Any tricks on using it or alternative 5th level Force spells to empower Blade of Force?

Godskook
2010-10-30, 07:29 PM
heightened magic missle? Most sorcerers should have the proper feat for that.

true_shinken
2010-10-30, 07:32 PM
heightened magic missle? Most sorcerers should have the proper feat for that.

No free feats in this character, though.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-10-30, 07:38 PM
I just realized that the imarvintpa spell search doesn't have Complete Mage for some reason. Odd.
Core has Wall of Force, whose benefits have been expounded upon (usually when comparing it unfavorably to Wall of Stone, but nevertheless it has BC utility).
It also has the less impressive Interposing Hand.
Lost Empires of Faerun has Mailed Might of the Magelords for +8 armor to AC, immunity to 2nd-level or lower [force] spells, and DR 5/magic. It only lasts 1 min/level and has an expensive material component, though, so it's impractical. It also has Nezram's Sapphire Screen of Shielding, which is Shield with a tenth of the duration, DR 10/magic, and a 250 gp arcane focus (I suspect there's a reason these spells were lost to time).

Spell Compendium has Shard Storm, which makes one 20' radius sphere per round (1 round/level) emit minuscule force shards that deal 3d6 (Ref half) to all within. Each sphere might also deal ongoing 3d6/round as long as the spell lasts, I'm not sure.

true_shinken
2010-10-30, 07:41 PM
Wall of Force seems your best bet while I look for more spells.
Hmm, Wall of Force. Can't believe I didn't think of it myself. ^^
Thanks a lot, I'll probably go with this.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-10-30, 07:42 PM
As an irrelevant side-note, there seem to be a lot of 4th-level [Force] spells.