PDA

View Full Version : Build Natsu from Fairy Tail

true_shinken
2010-10-30, 07:39 PM
So, just for fun, I decided to get stats for Fairy Tail's Natsu.
His magic basically deals damage, so he could be a Duskblade with high physical stats (and maybe the half-dragon template). A Wilder/Diamond Dragon could get close to all his abilities as well.
The thing I'm stuck on is the 'eating fire to heal' thing. I believe it can't be done in D&D.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-30, 07:56 PM
A while back was given a homebrew class by a friend. I've put part of it on the forums, though the spell list still has to be upped.
The mancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5970319#post5970319)
Take the eating fire/steel/air etc, and give them a per/day limit.
As he levels, it can be used to restore damage, based off of level of fire spell he eats (or size/temp of mundane fire). Give more uses per day as he levels. Later on, he can use it to fuel his own metamagic without raising spell level (perhaps a -1 to MM at level 10, -2 at level 13, -3 at level 16 etc) on a per day usage, OR he can use it to boost his physical capabilities.

Having trouble with run-on sentences, did I make sense?

true_shinken
2010-10-30, 07:59 PM
A while back was given a homebrew class by a friend. I've put part of it on the forums, though the spell list still has to be upped.
The mancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5970319#post5970319)
Take the eating fire/steel/air etc, and give them a per/day limit.
As he levels, it can be used to restore damage, based off of level of fire spell he eats (or size/temp of mundane fire). Give more uses per day as he levels. Later on, he can use it to fuel his own metamagic without raising spell level (perhaps a -1 to MM at level 10, -2 at level 13, -3 at level 16 etc) on a per day usage, OR he can use it to boost his physical capabilities.

Having trouble with run-on sentences, did I make sense?

Wow, looks perfect for Natsu.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-30, 08:20 PM
Thanks. This has received very little playtesting to my knowledge. None of my players have tried it, and I won't use it against them (they're inexperienced). So if you get to play it, I need you to tell me how it worked out.
I was already wondering about something a little similar a while back, and coupled with teh mancer, it seemed possible. But I didn't have anything for steel or poison. The air mancer seemed good for Luxus, until Wendy came into the picture.
Other rules not shown yet:
- a genasi treats mancer (of appropriate type) OR fighter as his favored class.
-At a given spell level, a mancer has only 3 spells to choose from. And he can choose only one. But he gets it a minimum of 3 times, with extras for high casting stats. So a third level mancer has 1 first level spell to cast, at least 3 times, and 1 second level spell to cast at least 3 times.

-Water spells are supposed to be like the primordial soup of life. Lots of healing/buffing. And powerful buffs and healing they were too. Almost entirely homebrew spells.

-I don't have a full list of the spells. Only air was completed, and I have the notes to finish the earth and fire spells.

-Also, each mancer is supposed to have a different casting stat, and it's a stat taht is boosted for the appropriate genasi variety.

-The mancer is a decently powerful melee class. It used to go up to 9th level casting in the same variety it has now, but ws deemed too powerful. A man in armor who can fight on equal terms as the fighter, but he can also cast firestorm(cold/acid/electric), or summon monster 9 (elemental only).

-The elemental control at level 12 (perhaps I should make it sooner, not sure if someone would really have a chance of turning a CR appropriate elemental at level 12. But I was really intending it to fuel the divine feats in PHB 2), and section regarding devotion feats were added by myself. The class was written before Complete Champ came out, so I feel justified in updating it.

true_shinken
2010-10-30, 08:22 PM
I was already wondering about something a little similar a while back, and coupled with teh mancer, it seemed possible. But I didn't have anything for steel or poison. The air mancer seemed good for Luxus, until Wendy came into the picture.

Well, Cobra and Luxus were artificial dragon slayers. Maybe an acquired template?

herrhauptmann
2010-10-30, 09:24 PM
Well, Cobra and Luxus were artificial dragon slayers. Maybe an acquired template?

True,
anyway, I'd suggest as a final thing (because I don't think I'll have the spells online anytime soon), just refluff the class to be arcane rather than divine. Change knowledge religion to knowledge:arcane.

As a level 18 or so ability, allow transformation to an ancient red dragon as the end of a charge. Return to normal at the end of your own turn. Currently, Natsu, Wendy, Gazille (Gajeel, Gazelle, wahtever) don't seem to last in their dragon shapes for very long.

Fiery Diamond
2010-10-30, 09:41 PM
I have nothing useful to contribute, other than to say that the latest Fairy Tail chapters are available now (with some interesting reveals).

And

I LURV NATSU! Awesome character!

herrhauptmann
2010-10-30, 11:04 PM
I have nothing useful to contribute, other than to say that the latest Fairy Tail chapters are available now (with some interesting reveals).

And

I LURV NATSU! Awesome character!

Nice, nice. Been checking all week, was expecting the triple shot to be 206, 207, 208...

Whataya mean 'nothing to contribute'? You've already given something!
How's your magical homebrew work out? Could you get us something that would work similar to natsu's magical attacks?
Roar ( Breathe flame)
Flaming fist:
Flaming Kick:
What else does he have? I swear it seemed easier to follow his attacks when they were kept in japanese "Karyu no..."