PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5- Minigish!

Lateral
2010-10-30, 08:21 PM
Okay, I'm building a 3.5 gestalt gish (probably Fighter//Sorcerer, but I'm not sure) who rides his familiar into battle. The character will probably end up being a refluffed Grig stripped of most of its abilities, which has Permanent Reduce Person on it and has a Pseudodragon familiar. However, I'm... not very good at building it. Help me, Playground, help me!

Edit: No, I was going specifically for riding a Pseudodragon familiar. Also, I haven't finished the details but it's not actually a grig, I just based it on the grig. Same size and ability scores, but no flight, no DR or SR, no skill bonuses, gains poison use, and only one SLA for flavor reasons.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-30, 08:27 PM
Grigg's are Fey, aren't they? Don't think you can hit them reduce person. Same way you can't get an ogre partymember with enlarge person.

Perhaps look around for the ubermount/supermount builds. That'll easily get you a mount you can ride, at medium size or smaller.

Dark_Nohn
2010-10-31, 12:24 AM
If you don't mind waiting for awhile, there's a wu-jen spell at 8th level that reduces your size down to even fine, though any sort of weapon damage at that size is laughable. Speaking of, what's wrong with normal size and getting a dragon mount/cohort? Even also possible to accomplish at many other normal sizes, such as paladin//sorc, or ask the DM for the Companion Familiar ability from Arcane Heirophant (RoW) and combine a sorc/druidzilla type thing (I would've suggested cleric if Animal Domain did what it did in the PSP D&D game.) The Beastmaster (CAdv) is another good PrC to look into.

Any of this sound like good help on your build? I'm not sure why you'd want to be small aside from a slight AC and Attack bonus, and of course, some fluff, as you'll lose out on a lot of important abilities of size, such as the ability to fight without being IN someone else's square, size modifiers, and so on.

To ride a Pseudodragon, you need to either be diminutive size, or find a way to be tiny and weigh less than 10 lbs including gear (the maximum for a pseudodragon to carry and fly at the same time,) it's going to be a hard road to either make or have the DM balance the party for.

Edit: Have you ever given thought into the growing industry of Psionics? A Psychic Warrior(//Sorcerer) has a good reduce person effect they can cast on themselves (Compression) which can reduce you two size categories (start at small size, go directly to DIM) PsyWar doesn't have a full BaB, and less feats than a fighter, and you're going to need a decent Wis (so you'll be even more MAD than a normal gish)

grarrrg
2010-10-31, 12:40 AM
3.5 gestalt gish (probably Fighter//Sorcerer...who rides

You ARE taking at least 2 levels of Paladin at some point then, right?
(if not LG, then aim for one of the variations, CG, LE, CE)

Paladin//Sorcerer gestalt gish sounds much better than Fighter//Sorcerer, if for no other reason then Divine Grace (WOO!!). But feel free to dip Fighter for a couple levels for the feats.
Paladin also comes with a Special Mount ability, check with your DM, he 'might' let it somehow stack/become your Familiar.

Endarire
2010-10-31, 02:17 AM
Hood (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872838/Little_Red_Raiding_Hood_A_Tale_of_38_Guide_to_the_ 35_Dragoon). It has a section on gestalt, too! (In short, get magic.)

Foryn Gilnith
2010-10-31, 07:18 AM
Grigg's are Fey, aren't they? Don't think you can hit them reduce person.

An alternative might be the Ring of Reduction from the Lords of Madness section on tsochari?

Lateral
2010-10-31, 07:39 AM
No, the Pseudodragon part is nonnegotiable. You're probably right, Paladin//Sorcerer with two levels of fighter//sorcerer is better. The race is mostly worked out, except for the LA-- incidentally, how much LA should it have?-- and what I need is mostly spell selection and feats. I realize he would be doing virtually no damage with his weapon at that size, that's what spells are for.

Coidzor
2010-10-31, 08:08 AM
Confound the big folk feat line?