PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Looking for a good flying race?

Squnk
2010-10-31, 04:21 AM
I'm trying to make an archer and want to try a flying character. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for races or any other ways of makind a flying archer? Thanks

Eldariel
2010-10-31, 04:32 AM
I'm trying to make an archer and want to try a flying character. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for races or any other ways of makind a flying archer? Thanks

Raptoran with a Footbow. Honestly, that's all there is to it. Then make a normal archer; I like volley archer for flyers since that means you get to function perfectly at any range.

Unless you want a magical archer, in which case I'd use a Sublime Chord Archer build, or a Cleric-or-Archivist-or-Mystic Ranger Archer build. Or, I guess, an Unseen Seer persistent spell archer. Soulbow also works and there's something to incarnum also.

So, what kind of an archer are you envisioning exactly? More definition is necessary than "archer" to really get to the crux of things.

darbythegambler
2010-10-31, 04:33 AM
Raptorans from RotW comes to mind

edit: ninja'd

RanWilde
2010-10-31, 04:42 AM
Aarakocra, they are great! And they can fly very well.

Eldariel
2010-10-31, 04:50 AM
Dragonborn of Bahamut is the other option, but Raptorans come with a free Footbow proficiency and the footbow is friggin' awesome so just go with that unless you want Elf-specific PrCs (Wildrunner/Eternal Blade/Arcane Archer).

Darrin
2010-10-31, 08:42 AM

Hengeyokai Crane or Sparrow (Oriental Adventures) is the best flyer available at ECL 1 with no LA. Fly 20' (average) in their hybrid form.

Raptoran (Races of the Wild) has Fly 40' (average) kick in at 5 HD.

All the other fly options without LA involve either Dragonborn of Bahumat (30' flight speed eventually kicks in at 6 HD) or feats: Dragon Wings + Improved Dragon Wings (Races of the Dragon, also kicks in at 6 HD), or Celestial/Fiendish Bloodline + Outsider Wings (Races of Faerun).

If you're willing to take on a little LA, you can try:

Air Mephling, LA +1 (Planar Handbook). Fly 10' (perfect).
Aarakocra, LA +2 (Monsters of Faerun). Fly 90' (average)
Avariel, LA +3 (Races of Faerun). Fly 50' (average).
Flyer Saurial, LA +3 (Serpent Kingdoms Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040717a)). Fly 50' (average).

Some of these speeds can be increased with the Improved Speed feat (Draconomicon, requires dragon type or dragonblood subtype) or the Air Heritage feat (Planar Handbook).

Gabe the Bard
2010-10-31, 08:55 AM
I guess Dragonwrought Kobold hasn't been mentioned yet, but it would need several feats to be a good flyer: Dragonwrought, Dragon Wings, Improved Dragon Wings, and Hover.

dsmiles
2010-10-31, 09:03 AM
How about the 'winged' template from SS?

Darrin
2010-10-31, 09:18 AM
There's also the Feathered Wings fiendish graft in the Fiend Folio, 10,000 GP. Works best with a non-good alignment.

I forgot to mention soulmelds.

Shape Soulmeld: Airstep Sandals. 10' fly speed per essentia (good maneuverability), but you have to land at the end of your move unless you bind them to your feet chakra (Open Least Chakra feat at 6th level).

Shape Soulmeld: Pegasus Cloak + Open Lesser Chakra (available at 12th level) grants a Fly 10'/essentia (average).

Shape Soulmeld: Astral Vambraces (Psionics of Incarnum (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20060217a) online article) + Open Lesser Chakra (bound to arms chakra) allows you to select one of the abilities on Astral Construct Menu A, which includes Fly 20' (average).

RelentlessImp
2010-10-31, 09:26 AM
Hengeyokai Crane or Sparrow (Oriental Adventures) is the best flyer available at ECL 1 with no LA. Fly 20' (average) in their hybrid form.

All the other fly options without LA involve either Dragonborn of Bahumat (30' flight speed eventually kicks in at 6 HD) or feats: Dragon Wings + Improved Dragon Wings (Races of the Dragon, also kicks in at 6 HD), or Celestial/Fiendish Bloodline + Outsider Wings (Races of Faerun).

Flyer Saurial, LA +3 (Serpent Kingdoms Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040717a)). Fly 50' (average).

Some of these speeds can be increased with the Improved Speed feat (Draconomicon, requires dragon type or dragonblood subtype) or the Air Heritage feat (Planar Handbook).

You missed the Anthropomorphic Bat and Raven from Savage Species. No LA, 1HD (replaced by your first class level). Decent fly speeds there.

Myshlaevsky
2010-10-31, 09:44 AM

Half-Fey Template Class (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) gets you wings at the second level, might be worth mentioning.

TurtleKing
2010-10-31, 10:31 AM
The Hadozee from Stormwrack and Phanaton From Dragon Magazine 339/351 do not have true flight but can glide.

Also a feat you will want is Plunging Shot from RotW. If you are at least 30 feet above your opponent then you deal an extra 1d6 damage.

Edit: Just thought of another way for you to fly. You can use a racial progression from Savage Species or the improved monster classes in the Homebrew Forum that are racial progression. The flight may not be immediate, but you can play some of the more exotic creatures that can fly.