PDA

View Full Version : Class leveled NPCs and gear value

ffone
2010-10-31, 04:32 AM
Suppose a monstrous NPC has X racial HD, a base challenge rating of Y, and I add Z class levels to it (associate) for a new challenge rating of Y+Z.

How do I determine the total treasure of the monster, and its 'NPC gear value' (how much useful-in-battle gear it should have).

Chrono22
2010-10-31, 04:54 AM
Short answer: it varies.

Long answer: everything from the creature's intelligence, to its environment and even society play a role.
Dragons for instance, have large amounts of treasure. Logically, they should be spending a sizable portion of that wealth on improving their defenses and augmenting their attacks... but no. Partly because the size of their hoards affects their status among other dragons, and partly because of natural greed, dragons simply liquidate the magical items they come across (unless they are extraordinarily rare or priceless). Some dragons do this more or less often, based on their personality.
A heavily organized military society like hobgoblins probably carry spare weapons and equipment, often specifically designed for their objectives. Orcs, on the other hand, probably carry whatever they feel makes them look the most dangerous and intimidating.
Really, it's the DM's call.

Runestar
2010-10-31, 05:02 AM
I am pretty sure not even wotc themselves know. :smallannoyed:

dsmiles
2010-10-31, 07:41 AM
In the DMG, there's a table for NPC gear for each of the PHB1 classes. I'd start there, and then add other treasure/gear based of the original CR.