PDA

View Full Version : The Pregnancy Thread

LordOMud
2010-10-31, 01:00 PM
Okay, My girlfriend finally took the test, and she's pregnant. I'm so scared, but I'm excited too! So do any of you dads out there have any advice for me?

Fax Celestis
2010-10-31, 01:12 PM
Say "Yes dear" a lot. Get her anything she wants. Don't fault her mood swings. Compliment her frequently, and don't mention anything about her weight. Also, if she wants to go to a baby class or something, go with her, or she will devour your brains with a side of fava beans and chianti. :smallbiggrin:

Melayl
2010-10-31, 03:21 PM
Say "Yes dear" a lot. Get her anything she wants. Don't fault her mood swings. Compliment her frequently, and don't mention anything about her weight. Also, if she wants to go to a baby class or something, go with her, or she will devour your brains with a side of fava beans and chianti. :smallbiggrin:

Pretty much what he said. Let her know you love her, and frequently. Let her know you still find her attractive. Go to baby/parenting classes. Learn infant CPR ('cause ya never know, right?). Just love her and the baby and do your best and you'll be just fine. :smallwink:

Oh, and congratulations!

Tinkee
2010-10-31, 09:30 PM
As a new dad (3 weeks ago!) I suggest that as the time nears for the baby to get here be sure you have everything done... go to the grocery store and stock up on anything you may need so that you or her wont have to leave to get it. Be sure to have your formula, bottles, diapers, etc ready for baby when yall get home. And if you have the opportunity to be off with her for any amount of time after baby is born, be sure you cook for her (or at least go get food from somewhere!) as often as possible. Mom definately wont be in the mood to get up and cook dinner after going through childbirth. Even if you arent a great cook, she'll definately appreciate it.

As far as during the pregnancy just be sure to keep her comfortable. I bought my wife a leacho (spelling?) pregnancy pillow and she really enjoyed it as her belly got too big for her to be comfortable during sleep.

Ummm... thats all i can think of right now at work. If you have any questions, or need any advice feel free to PM me anytime. Be glad to help ya or answer questions! =)

Lady Tialait
2010-11-01, 12:42 AM
Well, at first you will be dealing with pure insanity as her body adjusts...at least if she is anything like me. Then when she starts showing, EVERYTHING will hurt for her to do. So, try to help her out on that. Toward the end, you get both the pure insanity and pain.....so joy.

After the baby is born if you do what my husband did for me...you will get a gold metal...he did. Take care of the baby whenever she isn't right on it. She will want to care for the baby, but she will be freakin' tired. This is both before and after the pregnancy.

Trog
2010-11-01, 10:55 AM
Okay, My girlfriend finally took the test, and she's pregnant. I'm so scared, but I'm excited too! So do any of you dads out there have any advice for me?

Pass out cigars. Now. No reason, really. >> [/troglodyteness]
During Pregnancy: Respond to any pregnancy cravings with "Baby wants _____, right, I'm on it, dear!" and run to go get it. :smallwink: Also get her the book "What to expect when you're expecting" and read whatever passages she points out to you. A read through yourself couldn't hurt too.
During delivery: Ice chips - You are in charge of ice chips. Also this is all your fault. :smalltongue: Tell her she's doing great and how proud of her you are and be supportive and be without ego. And prepare for one of the greatest moments of your life.
After birth: "What to expect the first year" is your baby's owner's manual and complete parenting guide. Get it. Srs.

Asta Kask
2010-11-01, 10:59 AM
Dump her for her sister.

Kidding. Congratulations.

Worlok
2010-11-01, 12:39 PM
Dump her for her sister. Kidding. Congratulations.
You, sir, are evil. :smalleek: Kidding, of course, and to our OP: It may be wise to get ready for quite some sleep-withdrawal, both on her and your part. That may seem like a no-brainer, but it is a big point during the first year - at the very least. This not from a parent, but from someone who lived next-door to an expecting couple for quite some time.

Also, congratulations.

Tinkee
2010-11-01, 11:04 PM
After birth: "What to expect the first year" is your baby's owner's manual and complete parenting guide. Get it. Srs."

Agreed... In four weeks I've already pulled mine out several times. It answers tons of questions that I had.... everytime my wife said "Is this normal?" I'd run and check the book and have an answer for her in no time!

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-01, 11:23 PM
Give her footrubs. And do late night feedings, don't let her get up all the time.

Dubious Pie
2010-11-01, 11:33 PM
<sarcasm>Get extensive plastic surgery and change your name, then escape into the night.</sarcasm> In reality, just be supportive and kind, you will do fineish.

Boo
2010-11-02, 01:26 AM
Being unable to talk about any of this from experience, I'll just say what my Biology teacher told me one day:

"During delivery, you will not be with your wife/lover. Instead, a vicious, evil monster (whom you love) will be telling you that their pain and suffering is all your fault. You did this to them.

After (directly after) they will be the calmest you've ever seen them. They may also forget what they said to you--don't remind them."

I'm summarizing of course.

Zar Peter
2010-11-02, 01:39 AM
Not much advice I can give. And it's all said before so there's only one thing to say for me:

CONGRATULATIONS! You will have a hell of a time. And then it will be great.

LordOMud
2010-11-06, 11:20 AM
thanks for the advice you guys :)