PDA

View Full Version : Must-have scrolls and wands

WarKitty
2010-10-31, 02:40 PM
What scrolls and wands do you usually look for? Are there any spells you absolutely have to have a scroll of? For all those spells that can be a lifesaver but don't come up often enough to prepare, what's your list?

balistafreak
2010-10-31, 02:44 PM
Scrolls of Revivify are life-saving. Literally.

Party member drops, you say "Oh darn", and run over there ASAP. You did make sure to keep that scroll in a place where you could get to it as a free action, right? Right?

Benign Transposition is great to have in a Wand, if only because you don't know how many times you'll need it and its effect is mostly CL-independent. (Yeah, the range gets a little larger as you level up, but chances are you're in the thick of it anyways.)

Marnath
2010-10-31, 02:45 PM
Animate Rope, Tenser's Floating Disk, Locate Object, Passwall are all neat to have.

dsmiles
2010-10-31, 02:46 PM
As an Arcane caster, I look for all the scrolls I can get. In case of emergency, break wax.
As a Divine caster, not so much. I don't know why.
As a UMD-type, it depends on the class. Rogue, for instance, I like to look for invisibility, spider climb, silence, darkness, entangle/Evard's black tentacles, and similar spells that give me an advantage over my enemies.

Fizban
2010-10-31, 03:00 PM
I've recently been noting the awesome of a CL 20 scroll of Improvisation (a Bard spell). That'll give you a +10 bonus on four different attack/skill/ability rolls for only 500gp. Consider what kinds of things you can do if you're guarentee'd to hit for four rounds, or your entire full attack this round hits, get +10/20 damage with Insightful Strike maneuvers, or maybe for use by Incantatrixes for persisting other buffs... Bonus points: unlike Divine Insight, there's no limit for how many Improvisation's you can have active. So buy a few and blow them all before the final boss, then march in with +10 on all your offensive rolls. Sadly it doesn't work on saves like I thought before, but the best defense is a good offense.

Frenchy147
2010-10-31, 03:11 PM
that would be sweet if it worked on saves

WinWin
2010-10-31, 03:12 PM
Wand. Resilliant Sphere and Vortex of Teeth.

Keeps the incorporerals away.

Endarire
2010-10-31, 03:17 PM
Astral projection if you use the spell. That way, if cast from an item, you don't actually lose charges.

For general purpose, TIME STOP.

darbythegambler
2010-10-31, 03:18 PM
Wand of Heroics, lots of them. Extra fighter bonus feats are pretty awesome and for a decent duration. Due note: Martial Study and Martial Stance can be chosen as fighter bonus feats :smalltongue:

Tyger
2010-10-31, 04:10 PM
Ditto on the wands of Benign Transposition. That and Whirling Blade are in the two wand chambers of my bard's main weapons. Both are Eternal Wands, as I can count on needing them at least once, and often twice, in a given day.

Scrolls I like to keep the ones that you know are going to come up at some point, but aren't sure when. Passwall, Tenser's Disc, Phantom Steed, Mount, Locate Object, Levitate, Spider Climb. Those sorts of things.

At higher levels, you don't need so much of the utility, likely having semi-permanent flight and the like, but many of the spells are very handy at low levels, but aren't quite frequently used enough to know/memorize.

WarKitty
2010-10-31, 04:19 PM
At higher levels, you don't need so much of the utility, likely having semi-permanent flight and the like, but many of the spells are very handy at low levels, but aren't quite frequently used enough to know/memorize.

Isn't that what being a druid is for? :smallbiggrin:

Tyger
2010-10-31, 04:31 PM
Isn't that what being a druid is for? :smallbiggrin:

Yes, but that's not what the OP asked. :smallwink:

EDIT: D'oh! You didn't mention your character was a druid. That changes things. Unless you were just looking for a generic idea of spells?

odder
2010-10-31, 05:03 PM
wands of cure light wounds - they are cheap and a great way to get healed when not in combat :smallsmile:

The Mentalist
2010-10-31, 05:53 PM
wands of cure light wounds - they are cheap and a great way to get healed when not in combat :smallsmile:

Wand of Lesser Vigor is more health for the same price, you're out of combat anyway.

Wand of Power Word: Pain is good for low levels. Cast and the mooks die slowly.

Elfin
2010-10-31, 06:26 PM
I'll have to second the Wand of Lesser Vigor. They're simply fantastic, providing healing on a 1-hp-per-gp ratio.

And the Improvisation idea sounds great. I'll have to abuse that sometime.

WarKitty
2010-10-31, 06:29 PM
Yes, but that's not what the OP asked. :smallwink:

EDIT: D'oh! You didn't mention your character was a druid. That changes things. Unless you were just looking for a generic idea of spells?

Well it's for the party that contains a druid, an alchemist, and a sorcerer.

senrath
2010-10-31, 06:34 PM
A Wand of Knock is usually a good idea to get.

WarKitty
2010-10-31, 09:42 PM
A Wand of Knock is usually a good idea to get.

Really? We've never had a door that couldn't be (a) picked, (b) bull-rushed, or (c) blown up.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-31, 09:47 PM
Scrolls: cure...wounds

senrath
2010-10-31, 09:49 PM
Knock is useful because it allows no room for failure, and allows you to keep your distance from potential traps.

sambo.
2010-10-31, 09:58 PM
Wands of Identify are always handy.

i like wands/scrolls for useful utility spells that i don't want to tie up a spell slot for the day with (or even worse, for sorcerers, burn a spell known slot).

Squally!
2010-10-31, 10:01 PM
Knock is useful because it allows no room for failure, and allows you to keep your distance from potential traps.

and it makes less noise than the raging barbarian :P

Godskook
2010-10-31, 10:29 PM
Wands of Identify are always handy.

Identify is always bad, in almost all its forms. Detect Magic + MiC monocle is far superior unless you get Identify onto your cleric/archivist spell list, and even then, the monocle route is still better most of the time, since 2nd level spell slots are, generally speaking, worth more than 1.5kgp.(Monocle is *FAR* superior to wands, since a wand would cost 5.5kgp and sell for 2750gp)

Cisturn
2010-10-31, 10:56 PM
how much would that wand of revivify cost? say with 10 or so charges.

Crow
2010-10-31, 11:39 PM
Comprehend Languages.

Or Tongues.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-11-01, 12:00 AM
Identify is always bad, in almost all its forms.
The form given to clerics with the Oracle domain at first level is pretty nice. No arcane material component, no need to jack up the CL. Just 15 gp per identified item.

Jolly
2010-11-01, 12:51 AM
Eternal wand of identify.

Scroll of Permanency + Scroll of (spell you want made Permanent)

Eternal wands of utility or CL-irrelevant spells: Rope Trick (with minimum CL of say 9?), Grease etc.

Scroll of Desecrate + Scroll of Contingency + Scroll of Create Greater Undead (Permanency + Gentle Repose optional) for the best way to get undead traits, possibly with no LA or level loss depending on DM. See if you can get a Scroll made by a Dread Necro with the Corpsecrafter feats and talk your DM into letting them apply for the lulz.

RelentlessImp
2010-11-01, 05:26 AM
Scrolls of Shapechange.
3825gp for the same effect as a +5 Tome on all six stats? For all party members? Sold. (Go go Zodar)