PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Monk Differences?

John Cribati
2010-10-31, 03:31 PM
Okay, I know that there was a Chaos Monk variant class somewhere, but crystalkeep recently withdrew the PDF from its file banks. Can someone just tell me what changes? I know Flurry becomes Flailing strike, which is 1dsomething attacks at a -2 penalty, but what else?

EDIT: I'll only need int Information up till level 12.

Prime32
2010-10-31, 07:40 PM
IIRC it's more of a new class than a variant.

At any rate, we can't post enough of the mechanics to be usable in a game without owning the product (it was in a Dragon issue, right?).
EDIT: Dragon 335

Darrin
2010-10-31, 10:43 PM
At any rate, we can't post enough of the mechanics to be usable in a game without owning the product (it was in a Dragon issue, right?).
EDIT: Dragon 335

As the Forum rules state, we can summarize or generally describe mechanics so long as we're not directly cutting/pasting stat blocks. You can't actually copyright game mechanics, just the text used to describe them.

In general, the Chaos Monk is very similar to the SRD monk. The biggest difference (other than the chaotic alignment requirement) is Flurry of Blows is replaced with Flailing Strike, where the monk takes a penalty to get a random number of extra attacks. This starts with -2 for 1d4-1 attacks (minimum of 0), and gets progressively better.

Some other class abilities also get swapped. Ki strike (lawful) becomes (chaotic). There's also something that gives you a daze effect on a charge, and Displacing Stance, which gives you a miss chance a certain number of rounds a day.