PDA

View Full Version : Warding Gems

jiriku
2010-10-31, 04:44 PM
I stumbled across the warding gems spell in BoED today (pp 111-12). Pretty neat idea, although the excessive material component cost (up to 2,500gp per casting!) hamstrings it really badly. I'm interested in adjusting the cost to something more appropriate and making it available to my players (I am the DM).

What would be a more reasonable component cost for the spell? I was thinking 50gp or 100gp per gem, instead of 500gp per gem.

dsmiles
2010-10-31, 04:47 PM
WOW! That spell is kind of...epicly meh.

Way too expensive for what it does. Yeah, tone down the cost some. 100 is probably good.

jiriku
2010-10-31, 05:08 PM
Yeah, good concept, poor execution. But if the cost is recalibrated, it could be a great healing spell, since you can cast it prior to entering a dangerous area and the healing doesn't take an action to activate. Plus, you can greatly improve its effectiveness with feats like Augment Healing and Imbue Healing, and with spells like healing lorecall and soul of light.

If a caster modified warding gems with Repeat Spell or Twin Spell, do you think the caster would have to pay the material component cost twice? I'd think so, but it's not directly addressed by either feat.

dsmiles
2010-10-31, 05:10 PM
Considering the description of the spell, I'd say yes, since you're not creating healing gems from nothing to begin with.