PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]PrC Suggestion

redzimmer
2010-10-31, 08:32 PM
I am looking for a multiclass monk/paladin-type class that suits the whole knight-errant style of Stephen King's gunslingers (minus the guns, naturally).

Suggestions?

Drakevarg
2010-10-31, 08:48 PM
Well, Knight Protectors from CW are knight errant-y, though their monkitude is questionable.

On the other hand, Kensai (also CW) are more monk-flavored but are kind of the opposite of knight errants. (I.e, they hang around under the service of a particular lord or something, not wander about doing heroic things.)

SurlySeraph
2010-10-31, 08:48 PM
So a wandering, many-skill-having, knight-like guy? Gray Guard and Shadowbane Inquisitor work. I'd honestly go more with base classes for this - Swordsage and Factotum fit well.

gbprime
2010-10-31, 08:58 PM
You might also look at Sun Soul monk (Waterdeep - City of Splendors), as it has some synergy with Paladin.

You might also consider the Ascetic Knight feat from Complete Adventurer.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-31, 11:40 PM
There is a prestige class (Argent Fist IIRC) in some Eberron book (most probably 5 nations), that is tailor made for multiclass monk/paladins, might be worthwhile to check that.... also there is Sacred Fist in CDiv, but that is more suited to cleric/monks....

BTW yo took the Serenity feat right????

Psyren
2010-10-31, 11:58 PM
There is a prestige class (Argent Fist IIRC) in some Eberron book (most probably 5 nations), that is tailor made for multiclass monk/paladins, might be worthwhile to check that....

Actually, Argent Fist is in Faiths of Eberron, but you're correct that it's a great choice for paladin/monks. The benefits include:

- you keep your monk AC bonus (including Wis to AC) even while wearing armor
- you get the Ascetic Knight feat that gbprime mentioned for free
- you add your class level to the save DC of your stunning fist if you use it to smite evil
- your unarmed strikes, plus any other weapon you wield, count as both silver and cold iron
- Mettle AND Evasion in one class
- The capstone lets you automatically confirm all your criticals, even against undead, and provides other benefits.

Serenity is indeed perfect for this class, though some of the abilities do still get a boost from Charisma.

The biggest disadvantage of course, is that the class does not advance your spellcasting at all.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-01, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the correction.

I think that not advancing spellcasting is not a problem,since probably you aren't interested in spells with this multiclass, and even if you want spells, all pally spelss can be wanded without shenanigans (such as sanctum spell).

The problem I see with not taking serenity, is that the Characters is completely MAD, the only stat they can dump "safetly" is Int, and well I am in love with skill points, so I don't ever, no, not even then, dump int.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-11-01, 12:09 AM
Monk 2/ Cleric 4/ Prestige Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin) 3/ Sacred Fist 10. Spell domain for Anyspell: Shield, 3rd level Pearl of Power for Anyspell: Wraithstrike, DMM: Persist for both of those and Divine Power, Lesser Rod of Extend for Luminous Armor + Magic Vestment x2 (armor and shield).

redzimmer
2010-11-01, 12:19 PM
Argent Fist seems a good fit. I'll go scour the 2nd hand shop for Eberron books.

Thanks.