PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Spring Attack Optimization

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-01, 07:21 AM
I want to make a spring attack character in a level10 Pathfinder game we're starting.

I know most of the feats i'll want (Sprong attack, vital strike, Cleave)

Useing only PF sources wthat other feats, races, classes, items, are most optimal for this kind of build?

SamsDisciple
2010-11-01, 10:35 AM
An interesting idea is the unarmed feat tree starting with scorpion style, first you reduce movement then you can keep going with the feat tree and get up to cockatrice strike and petrify poeple with an unarmed attack or you could just greater vital strike at your leisure. I also think the critical feats would be very beneficial since you only get one attack might as well critical and dish out status ailments like blind (which is so absolutely wonderful)

SamsDisciple
2010-11-01, 10:57 AM
Oh ya also I would recomend going rogue so you can get into nice positions to sneak attack as well as use some of those nice rogue talents like bleeding attack, disabling strike, slow reactions. Since I assume that you are spring attacking so enemies don't attack you I also advise side step and I think its called wind walker (gain concealment vs ranged when you move)

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-01, 11:11 AM
Since I assume that you are spring attacking so enemies don't attack you I also advise side step and I think its called wind walker (gain concealment vs ranged when you move)

The DM is going undead heavy on this one from what he's hinted at so I don't think sneak attack will be able to come into play.:smallfrown:

I was thinking a Barbarian or Ranger or some variant of one of them.

Susano-wo
2010-11-01, 11:28 AM
just a note: in PF, you can sneak attack undead. :smallbiggrin:

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-01, 11:33 AM
just a note: in PF, you can sneak attack undead. :smallbiggrin:

I don't think any one in my group knows that, I never read the PF books as completely as i've read the 3.5 books

Person_Man
2010-11-01, 11:36 AM
Pathfinder Spring Attack (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/spring-attack-combat---final) is a full round action, and thus can't be used (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/pathfinder-faq) with Vital Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/vital-strike-combat---final), which is triggered when you make an attack action. (A full round action IS NOT an attack action, even if you make an attack as a part of that full round action).

Also, both feats suck. Spring Attack limits you to 1 attack per round, when a melee build should be able to make 2-6+ attacks per round. And unless you have a very large weapon, Vital Strike doesn't add much damage, and it only applies to one attack.

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-01, 11:56 AM
{Scrubbed}

FMArthur
2010-11-01, 12:06 PM
Person Man is probably the single most helpful person in the world for people making D&D 3.5 characters right now. I don't think a little pomp would be out of order even though I don't see any here. :smallwink:

Person_Man
2010-11-01, 12:10 PM
Ah so they put in verbiage preventing any of their nifty new feats from stacking.

Yes. Non-stacking of feats/combos was a specific design goal of Pathfinder, in that they believed that it lead to unintended consequences.

{Scrub the original, scrub the quote}

Some people, including me, would prefer if you did not use the word gay in a pejorative fashion.

{Scrub the original, scrub the quote}

I apologize if you felt I was being pompous.

Rixx
2010-11-01, 12:42 PM
There is precedent for characters using Vital Strike and Spring Attack together (in an Adventure Path, I believe) - it wouldn't be a stretch to ask your DM to allow it.

Susano-wo
2010-11-01, 01:16 PM
yeah, it sounds like Vital strike would be a good one to allow to combo as a house rule. also, I saw Vital strike as more of a can't/don't want to charge but don't have my full attack availible maneuver. So nice in certain circumstances, but only situationally viable