PDA

View Full Version : Into the Chaos Scar!

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-01, 09:47 AM
INTO THE
CHAOS SCAR

http://wizards.com/dnd/images/173_cs_tainted_spiral.jpg

The Chaos Scar is a long, wide valley carved long ago by the fall of a massive meteor. As the giant rock passed overhead, milk curdled, livestock fell over dead, and ill fortune befell all. The meteor crashed into the earth with deafening force, and red radiance lit the sky for a week. Then it vanished.

The meteor had carved its massive gash in a dark and wild place between points of civilization. Where once had stood a wild forest and swamp between a line of small hills was this new valley—the Chaos Scar.

Before we start, I want you to all introduce your characters to each-other. And describe how you met.

KtD
2010-11-01, 01:20 PM
I just need some clarification before I post... are we meeting each other on the way to the Scar, or when we get there? I'm guessing we all know each other before arriving there, so introductions will probably take some collaborating.

Also, will there be an OOC thread?

Ekemon Sajin
Level 1
Essentials Assassin
Guild Training: Red Scales
Background: Born Under a Bad Sign

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 14, Dex 19, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 17.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 14, Dex 17, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 17.

AC: 16 Fort: 15 Reflex: 16 Will: 16
HP: 31 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +9, Acrobatics +9, Athletics +5, Bluff +8, Thievery +9, Streetwise +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +2, Heal +1, History, Insight +1, Intimidate +3, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion

FEATS
Human - Improved Defenses
Level 1 - Master at Arms

POWERS
Assassin's Strike (Encounter)
Garrote Strangle (At-Will)
Unarmed Throw (At-Will)
Unseen Spearhead (At-Will)

POISON RECIPES KNOWN
Carrion Crawler Brain Juice
Bloodroot Poison

EQUIPMENT
Adventurer's Kit, Leather Armor, Garrote (3) , Daggers (3), Javelin, Rapier, Poisoner's Kit, Crowbar, Climber's Kit, Thieves' Tools, 10 sp

tacocat
2010-11-01, 03:37 PM
Well, Arq and I have devised a way that Izzy and Rhogar would've met.

Izzy stayed in a town along his venture to the Scar and finally decided on hiring on a bodyguard. Unbeknownst to him, the 'bodyguard' he hired was actually a leader of a small group of Deadmen in the area who intended to collect on the bounty. Lead into an alley, the artificer attempted to defend himself when he was attacked, but it was far from a fair fight. That's when Rhogar intervened, driven by his sense of justice (I'll leave to to Arq to describe the inner workings of our defender), and fought off the gang in Isidore's defense. Initially distrustful of the mysterious dragonborn, the two struck up something of a conversation as Izzy started to skip town. As the subject of the Chaos Scar came up, Izzy found out that Rhogar too was headed there. Less suspicious and more intruiged, the artificer asked that Rhogar hire on as his bodyguard.

I'll leave Arq to fill any of the holes I might've missed in the backstory there. And I agree with KtD that this may take a bit of collaboration, but if you want us to do it in this thread for simplicity's sake, that works too.

As for others, they could've met them along the road to the Chaos Scar or in other towns, or even upon reaching the Scar itself (I imagine them running into Ekemon already arse-deep in creature corpses XD) but exactly how that happens it up to you guys. If you want to know/ have heard of one another beforehand before reuniting under this motley crew, well that might be a bit harder. But I can imagine Izzy hearing of/briefly meeting Ezeria as sort of some interaction between schools.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-01, 05:52 PM
Well, Arq and I have devised a way that Izzy and Rhogar would've met.

Izzy stayed in a town along his venture to the Scar and finally decided on hiring on a bodyguard. Unbeknownst to him, the 'bodyguard' he hired was actually a leader of a small group of Deadmen in the area who intended to collect on the bounty. Lead into an alley, the artificer attempted to defend himself when he was attacked, but it was far from a fair fight. That's when Rhogar intervened, driven by his sense of justice (I'll leave to to Arq to describe the inner workings of our defender), and fought off the gang in Isidore's defense. Initially distrustful of the mysterious dragonborn, the two struck up something of a conversation as Izzy started to skip town. As the subject of the Chaos Scar came up, Izzy found out that Rhogar too was headed there. Less suspicious and more intruiged, the artificer asked that Rhogar hire on as his bodyguard.

I'll leave Arq to fill any of the holes I might've missed in the backstory there. And I agree with KtD that this may take a bit of collaboration, but if you want us to do it in this thread for simplicity's sake, that works too.

As for others, they could've met them along the road to the Chaos Scar or in other towns, or even upon reaching the Scar itself (I imagine them running into Ekemon already arse-deep in creature corpses XD) but exactly how that happens it up to you guys. If you want to know/ have heard of one another beforehand before reuniting under this motley crew, well that might be a bit harder. But I can imagine Izzy hearing of/briefly meeting Ezeria as sort of some interaction between schools.

Very good.

Sploosh
2010-11-01, 06:19 PM
Spoiliing due to peer pressure
:smallwink:

Taking up Taco's offer of a road meeting, it would likely be there that they encountered Buttons. The likeliest scenario would be encountering a group of vagabonds surrounding a tied up, well dressed but dirty young lady. Upon seeing others, they would run off, shouting "She's your problem now!"

Buttons looks excited, instead of frightened or shocked at this current turn of events and even before they begin to untie her, she is spewing introductions and other chatter.

When she is untied, she dusts herself off, and informs them that could have handled it herself, but appreciates it no less. She goes on to announce that she is an adventurer and if she was to handle the Chaos Scar, she couldn't possibly be in danger of drifters.

Hopefully they inform her they are going the same direction and ask her to accompany them.

Arq Kujos
2010-11-01, 08:17 PM
I like Buttons. She amuses me. Rhogar reserves the right to bind and gag as necessary. :smalltongue:

Yes, Rhogar is a dragonborn who resembles a black dragon. As such, he has spent his whole life profiled as being evil or being close to evil. The whole point of his quest is to prove his good to the world. That is why he saved Izzy. That is why he saved Buttons. That is why he will save everyone else.

Seeing as how we have something of a theme going on here, I nominate that you all should be rescued by Rhogar at some point on the way to the Chaos Scar. Not required by any stretch of the imagination, but to break a theme is very poor form indeed. [/monacle]

Plus, it seems a bit easier for our merry band to happen upon each other as they all travel to the Chaos Scar. Makes sense why we would stay and work together.

Sploosh
2010-11-01, 08:34 PM
Yay. I'm glad you like Buttons and I assure you at some point or another you will want to be invoking that gag right. :smallwink:

TheBoyce
2010-11-01, 09:39 PM
I'm not sure what this is all about...but okay!

If there is one of this troupe least likely to need rescuing, outside of the paladin on course, it is Ezeria. While not the strongest or most imposing figure she has something most others don't, the ability to set those that annoy her on fire.

This ability has come in handy as she is quite attractive. Well she is if you like the whole horned tiefling look, and can look past the fact that her wardrobe and her hair...and even her skin are all quite red. Still some people ignore the warning signs and try something untoward and then they tend to be on fire.

To this end, rather then being rescued by the party, she would be near the entrance to the Scar looking down into it. Noticing the approaching party, and with their intent being rather clear, she would approach them saying that she needed her. She would then set something on fire to prove her point.

Arq Kujos
2010-11-02, 12:49 AM
I'm not sure what this is all about...but okay!

If there is one of this troupe least likely to need rescuing, outside of the paladin on course, it is Ezeria. While not the strongest or most imposing figure she has something most others don't, the ability to set those that annoy her on fire.

This ability has come in handy as she is quite attractive. Well she is if you like the whole horned tiefling look, and can look past the fact that her wardrobe and her hair...and even her skin are all quite red. Still some people ignore the warning signs and try something untoward and then they tend to be on fire.

To this end, rather then being rescued by the party, she would be near the entrance to the Scar looking down into it. Noticing the approaching party, and with their intent being rather clear, she would approach them saying that she needed her. She would then set something on fire to prove her point.

Perhaps you could be a bit more specific. My dragonborn paladin can breath acid on his foes and call down divine might. A little fire isn't going to scare him off.And he certainly wouldn't want to work with someone who just walked up and said that he had to work with her and then set something on fire to intimidate him into doing it.

tacocat
2010-11-02, 01:33 AM
I'm cool with picking up Buttons that way. Izzy'll probably shy away from her for the most part and regard her chatter and occasional childishness with a quiet, puzzled look, maybe a nod or bemused smirk.

Independent woman is independent. :smallwink: But I can understand if she makes a good argument. Being a tiefling, she's probably rather silver-tongued, she could probably convince them without too much objection. So yeah, works for me. Izzy, for some reason or another, can't look at Ezeria dead on or for very long before pulling his goggles over his eyes; doesn't say much to her and is probably intimidated by her.

Now all we need is KtD (Ekemon) and we should be good to go! :smallsmile:

KtD
2010-11-02, 03:14 AM
Ekemon is not the type to get himself into trouble. He is very careful not to add unnecessary temptation to a sometimes overwhelming urge to... harm others.

Perhaps the group meets him after finding several corpses as they near the Scar. A few monsters (or monstrous type humanoids/creatures) are found here and there with throats slit or a single precise stab wound. Eventually, they find Ekemon over a fresh kill, wiping the blood off his dagger on the grass. With his duster off and his sleeves rolled up, his forearms are covered in blood. As the group approaches he starts to wipe his arms and hands with some cloth from his sack.

He is quick to tell the group he acted in self-defense, but otherwise seems very pleased with himself; a giant grin painted on his face. He politely inquires as to the destination of a group so close to the Scar and upon hearing their intentions he offers to join them. It intrigues him that others may have similar goals to his own.

@everyone: Does that seem ok?

tacocat
2010-11-02, 07:48 AM
Ekemon is not the type to get himself into trouble. He is very careful not to add unnecessary temptation to a sometimes overwhelming urge to... harm others.

Perhaps the group meets him after finding several corpses as they near the Scar. A few monsters (or monstrous type humanoids/creatures) are found here and there with throats slit or a single precise stab wound. Eventually, they find Ekemon over a fresh kill, wiping the blood off his dagger on the grass. With his duster off and his sleeves rolled up, his forearms are covered in blood. As the group approaches he starts to wipe his arms and hands with some cloth from his sack.

He is quick to tell the group he acted in self-defense, but otherwise seems very pleased with himself; a giant grin painted on his face. He politely inquires as to the destination of a group so close to the Scar and upon hearing their intentions he offers to join them. It intrigues him that others may have similar goals to his own.

@everyone: Does that seem ok?

Sounds good to me! :smallsmile: Ready to go whenever josha is.

Arq Kujos
2010-11-02, 08:48 AM
Truthfully, it seems that we should start a bit before the Chaos Scar so we can rp all these fun interactions with each other. So, if Ezeria is waiting right by the Chaos Scar, perhaps we should start a ways off with Ekemon and his new...."friends".

I feel that unless we role play this out a but, we will miss out on the starting role playing experience that makes D&D so much fun.

Arq Kujos
2010-11-02, 08:33 PM
Wow, we are all actually online. Crazy.

Ok Josha, let's get this ball rolling. For the sake of arguement, let's say we all met already, following each person's suggestion and now we are walking into the Chaos Scar. I'm ready to play.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-03, 06:01 PM
All right, is it OK with you guys if I skim over the part where you are hired and just skip to the adventure?

TheBoyce
2010-11-03, 08:07 PM
Unless something important happens go right ahead

tacocat
2010-11-03, 09:13 PM
I'm good, as long as the intro gives us a good idea of what we're doing and why. Like I said, ready when you are!

Arq Kujos
2010-11-03, 09:13 PM
For the love of god yes! I am so excited to get this started!

Sploosh
2010-11-03, 09:15 PM
Sounds good

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-03, 09:38 PM
All right, here is some very brief background:
You have been staying at an inn in a small town situated near the Chaos Scar. Recently you have been hired by guard captain Uther Ironhelm to track down a tribe of what he describes as "Vile Frog Men" which have recently been menacing merchants and travelers. A survivor of a frog man attack has pointed you in the direction of where they usually come from, and after a few days of tracking them though the scar you have found their lair.

Any questions?

tacocat
2010-11-03, 09:42 PM
Nope, good to go.

Sploosh
2010-11-03, 09:54 PM
I suppose someone less impulsive and daredevilish would ask questions like "What do we know about them?" "What have the stories said?" "What should we do?"

Buttons is ready to roll.

TheBoyce
2010-11-03, 10:32 PM
Can anyone cook? Frogs' legs seems like a good option

KtD
2010-11-04, 02:33 AM
The violence in the stories of the frogmen piques Ekemon's interest, and he inquires to know more about the weapons these monsters use and the manner in which they fight.

How do they often execute the attack from what you have heard from others and have experienced yourself? And how many were there? I know this may be difficult for you. You are very brave for helping us out in this way. But with your aid we can make sure that these attacks never happen again.

Are there any scars or wounds on this survivor from his encounter with the frogmen?

@everyone: I'm just looking for a little more information before we jump to the slaughter :smallsmile:.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-04, 09:13 AM
The violence in the stories of the frogmen piques Ekemon's interest, and he inquires to know more about the weapons these monsters use and the manner in which they fight.

How do they often execute the attack from what you have heard from others and have experienced yourself? And how many were there? I know this may be difficult for you. You are very brave for helping us out in this way. But with your aid we can make sure that these attacks never happen again.

Are there any scars or wounds on this survivor from his encounter with the frogmen?

@everyone: I'm just looking for a little more information before we jump to the slaughter :smallsmile:.

According to the one surviving merchant "They came out of nowhere and attacked without warning! Some stood up and attacked with spears, clubs, and knives. And they stank!"

Arq Kujos
2010-11-04, 09:35 AM
"What makes you so sure these creatures came from the Chaos Scar? I wish to hunt these beasts down and make the world a bit safer for us all, but going on a wild goose chase isn't going to do either."

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-04, 09:48 AM
"What makes you so sure these creatures came from the Chaos Scar? I wish to hunt these beasts down and make the world a bit safer for us all, but going on a wild goose chase isn't going to do either."

He pointed you into the scar, remember.

Arq Kujos
2010-11-04, 09:52 AM
"Go back and rest. We'll find their lair and destroy them."

Seeing as how you said we had found their lair, let's skip ahead to there once everyone has had a chance to say anything they want to say.

Can you describe the environment inside the Chaos Scar?

tacocat
2010-11-05, 01:29 PM
Isidore stood, listening quietly as Ekemon and the others asked their questions of the surviving merchants about the ‘vile frog men’. He had heard of monsters within the Scar, but he had expected hearing of something more, well, monstrous. Truthfully, he was more afraid of his current company than these alleged inhuman horrors, but given the circumstances, it all seemed very reasonable to him. All of the worst enemies he’d known were all very human.

Though not exactly pleased with the idea of risking life and limb over primitive humanoids (after all, from the description of their weaponry, what possible use could the young artificer have for it?) a question came to the young man’s mind. “Pay? Compensation?”

Even though he felt he would be going whether there was or not, every little bit he could get would help to pay off Rhogar, square his debts with the Deadmen, or (more likely) be spent on tools, reagents and, if he was lucky, residuum.

((Just a little confused about where we're starting, so I figured I'd ask a question first.))

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-05, 02:49 PM
“Pay? Compensation?”

5 gp per frog-man head.

Sploosh
2010-11-05, 02:59 PM
Buttons begins to bounce on her feet. The others were asking too many questions when they could already be in there and have found out the answers. She has waited long enough. "Are we done now? Huh? Are we? Are we?"

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-05, 03:33 PM
Buttons begins to bounce on her feet. The others were asking too many questions when they could already be in there and have found out the answers. She has waited long enough. "Are we done now? Huh? Are we? Are we?"

Yes we are.
My next post will be the start of the actual adventure.

KtD
2010-11-06, 12:19 AM
Ekemon looks equal parts confused and mildly delighted at the mention of coin. Oh, there is compensation beyond the killing?

For ease of reading, continuity, and whatever else, is it alright if we put all OOC comments and questions in Spoiler tags? :smallsmile:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-06, 09:50 AM
For ease of reading, continuity, and whatever else, is it alright if we put all OOC comments and questions in Spoiler tags? :smallsmile:

Yes. :smallsmile:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-07, 03:43 PM
Sorry about the delay, I've been a little busy.
I'm going to assume you found the frog man base (which is a long-ruined keep), and are entering now.

A soggy gloom fills the crumbling ruins of this keep. The few intact walls cast thick pools of shadows that obscure the jumbled mess of debris that covers the spongy wooden floor. A wet, boggy stench saturates the interior of the ruins, likely from the thick pits of mud that bubble up from some hidden reservoir below, creating wallows of slimy muck.

TheBoyce
2010-11-07, 11:49 PM
"Oh goody, a dank, decrepit, lair filled with semi-intelligent reptiles....and it smells."

Ezeria sighs as she stares at the ruin in front of them. Her arms are crossed and the fingers of her left hand tap impatiently. Still ruins did occasionally have ancient magic hidden within, and just standing here was not fruitful.

"Well, after you oh hunter of beasts" Ezeria directs this comment at the dragonborn, who seemed ever so eager earlier.

KtD
2010-11-08, 01:32 AM
Ekemon stares at the entrance to the ruins, his body tense with anticipation. His right eye twitches. He starts to rub the area around it, right over his tattoo, as if massaging his temple.

They're... inside. His guess at the obvious doesn't seem directed at anyone.

Arq Kujos
2010-11-08, 10:53 AM
"You are alwayss welcome to go home if you don't think you can handle it. What happened to all your bravado and arrogance?" Rhogar rolled his eyes at the angry tiefling and sighed. He drew his battle axe and stepped forward. "Those who wish to come can follow me. Those who wish to stay are encouraged to do so." With that he cast a glance at the tiefling and then stepped forward.

tacocat
2010-11-08, 11:03 AM
Isidore looked to his companions, to him they all seemed so eager (perhaps TOO eager, in Ekemon’s case) to put the frogmen to the sword. Still, if there was the faintest hum of magic somewhere within, the artificer would find it, frogmen be damned. With the tension between Ezeria and Rhogar almost palpable, Izzy gave each a wide berth. Yanking his goggles down over his eyes, the artificer gave a fleeting glance to the others before tilting his head in the direction of the keep before following a safe distance behind the dragonborn.

Picture! (http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq82/ArtSlave07/IzzySketch.jpg)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-08, 11:13 AM
Suddenly, you notice with your passive perception:
Squatting in muddy wallows amid the ruined keep are half a dozen froglike humanoids. Some of them grip crude spears and javelins, while the others are naked save for a coating of filthy mud. A chorus of deep, reverberating croaks echoes off the walls of the ruins when the creatures see you.

Roll initiative.

Arq Kujos
2010-11-08, 11:16 AM
Rhogar let out a roar to intimidate his foes as he banged his axe on his shield."Come at me and die, servants of evil!"

[roll0]

tacocat
2010-11-08, 11:23 AM
Izzy flinched as the first garbled, muddy croak surfaced. He hadn’t expected them to be lying in wait. One hand hastily went to the hilt of his bastard sword, pulling the weapon from its scabbard, as the other grabbed a metallic rod that seemed to spark at the artificers touch.

(These actions are strictly IC, I'll post them mechanically on my turn, if needed.)
[roll0]

KtD
2010-11-08, 12:06 PM
Rhogar's biting retort pulls Ekemon from his thoughts, and he finds that he is already following the large dragonborn into the ruins. He glances at the others before spotting the frogmen lying in wait.

He pulls his rapier free from its scabbard.

Are... are you going to kill them? The tentative question is directed at Rhogar.

Initiative - [roll0]

Arq Kujos
2010-11-08, 02:41 PM
"I'm not going to share a drink with them!" Rhogar was almost taken back by the question. What could Ekemon mean by that?

TheBoyce
2010-11-08, 05:38 PM
"I said nothing about wanting to go home, merely stated my displeasure at this location and its inhabitants, little did I know that some of those outside were so similar to those within."

The tiefling said this before following the lout inside. And then the lizardmen came into sight.

"Oh good, a battle. Something even you can understand." Even as she directed this insult at the paladin she spread her hands apart and fire began to fill them

Arq Kujos
2010-11-08, 06:37 PM
"Better similar to these frog-men than to whatever devil spawned you." Rhogar exhaled through his nose as he prepared to summon his inner draconic fury. Acid seemed to burn through his veins as he growled at the Frog-men.

TheBoyce
2010-11-08, 06:45 PM
"Better a devil for a parent than a fool for a child!"

Ezeria's eyes flash red, though whether in anger or simply due to the power coursing through her veins is debatable.

Initiative: [roll0]

Edit: Wow, awesome

Arq Kujos
2010-11-08, 06:47 PM
"That still remains to be seen, half-breed."

This is fun! Tacocat and I approve greatly. Bonus points to TheBoyce for being a good sport. :smallbiggrin:

TheBoyce
2010-11-08, 06:55 PM
"Those in glass houses should not throw stones, wyrm. Or had you forgotten your own...dark heritage?"

Oh yes, I do enjoy bickering, I'm wondering how this all will turn out later on though, hehehe.

Arq Kujos
2010-11-08, 06:58 PM
"Again, better a noble dragon than an infernal fiend. Your argument barely holds weight, though you seem to be doing just fine at that."

Either we kill each other, or they somehow have an awkward relationship that they hide from the rest of the world.

I wait with.......fear. Fear is the word I will use. :smalltongue:

TheBoyce
2010-11-08, 07:07 PM
"Noble? Last time I checked black dragons were as evil as any devil. Or are you color blind? Obviously your vision is lacking in at least some regard, if you think I am anything other than a vision perfection. Perhaps your a actually blind and can only get around because NOTHING smells as bad as you!"

I don't think they'll kill each other, that'd be a waste of resources on Ezeria's part. Though whether their inevitable closeness is romantic will be...let's go with interesting.

Also, it's a good thing talking is a free action

Arq Kujos
2010-11-08, 07:26 PM
"Even an evil dragon does not compare to the evil of whatever horror birthed you. Even the gods have recognized my true noble nature. Your nature, on the other hand, doesn't require me to smell you to know you are evil. We should just leave you here with the Frog-men. By the end of a day they will have all killed themselves just to get away from you."

I do not know. I believe we may be pushing it. Still, someone needs to move this thread along.

TheBoyce
2010-11-08, 07:37 PM
"Whatever you tell yourself to live with your terrible terrible ancestors, wyrm. And at least I have never misinterpreted pity as recognition."

I think we are waiting on one last initiative roll

Arq Kujos
2010-11-08, 07:45 PM
"At least pity means someone cares about me."

Yeah, I think it is Sploosh we are waiting on.

TheBoyce
2010-11-08, 08:05 PM
Ezeria's reddened eyes seem to darken, the fires in her hands blaze higher, and she stiffens ever so slightly at the dragonborn's last barb.

"Oh but I seem you really are a lizard after all! Probably a gecko or perhaps a newt, for everyone knows dragon's have pride. They don't go begging on their knees to whatever master will give them a few meager scraps, tell me how many priests laughed the black newt out of their temples before one took pity on such a pathetic creature!?"

Oh man, nice one! And yeah that sounds about right, still can't believe I'm going dead last. Bahaha better leave some alive for Ezeria to burn to death :-P

Arq Kujos
2010-11-08, 08:21 PM
"None. I was accepted in the first temple I was brought to as a young child, but I'm sure you wouldn't know anything about that. Being accepted that is. Bahamut and Pelor are far more accepting than whoever it is you secretly bend knee to."

Rhogar stood a little taller, asserting his height over the Frog-men, and his allies.

Nice comeback. By the time Josha comes back, we'll have talked these Frog-men to death. :smallbiggrin:

TheBoyce
2010-11-08, 08:39 PM
"I, unlike you, have no master but myself. See I like those who you WISH were your ancestors have both my pride AND my freedom. Likewise I have plenty of acceptance, indeed I bet I am far more accepted than you. See people actually want to bed me, whereas I doubt even a whore would proposition you, you'd just turn her or him into the "proper" authorities no doubt! Maybe that's why you are so outspoken! Ha!"

Arq Kujos
2010-11-08, 08:48 PM
"Its interesting how everything with you seems to go back to the bed chamber. I wonder why that is?" he said with a smirk. "Perhaps that is your only measure of self worth?"

tacocat
2010-11-08, 08:54 PM
Even as the frog-men closed in around them, Isidore could not help but direct his attention to the bickering couple. As it wore on, his sword lowered from its battle-ready stance, nearly dipping into the muddy murk. He wore a look of despair, as if watching a sinking ship from the shore. One that soon exploded as the powder kegs ignited.

It was this sense of impending doom that at last broke his silence.

"Uhhh... guys...? Rhogar? Ez?"

Arq Kujos
2010-11-08, 08:57 PM
Isidore's words, quiet and meek as they were, startled Rhogar. Isidore had bearly spoken a word to him on their journey together aside from warnings of danger and negotiating their contract. "Stay ready, Isidore. These beasts are dangerous, unlike some of us here."

TheBoyce
2010-11-08, 09:00 PM
"Everything? Funny, I mention it but once. Then again for one who has doubtless not known the true pleasures of a bed, even a single mention would seem infinite. And you depend on your gods for self worth, if they abandoned you your fragile lizard ego would be crushed. I need no crutches!"

Arq Kujos
2010-11-08, 09:03 PM
"And does whoring yourself out to anyone who will take a second look at you for attention make you superior to me? I think not. My ego is not so fragile."

TheBoyce
2010-11-08, 09:10 PM
"Hahahaha, anyone? Please, you see I have something called taste, I only bed those who I think deserve it, something you, never mind how much you want it, never will. I choose where I go and what, or who, I do unlike you little laplizard."

Arq Kujos
2010-11-08, 09:12 PM
"And for what purpose? I too go where I please. I came here of my own vocation, against the advice of my elders. I serve as I see fit. And I serve because I want to. Your freedom is not so rare. Your actions are not so bold. Your pride seems to have swollen itself inside that delusional head of yours."

TheBoyce
2010-11-08, 09:21 PM
"Oh you are free are you? And if your god told you to leave this place now, to run like a beaten dog, would you do as he said? I'm betting you would act like a good little pet and go back to your safe little temple with your tail between your legs. You serve as you are ordered, or perhaps the church actually wants to be rid of you, their failed little experiment."

Arq Kujos
2010-11-08, 09:25 PM
Rhogar exhaled and narrowed his eyes. "I pity you, only able to live for yourself, knowing nothing you achieve will mean anything to anyone. As I said, I serve where I want to serve. It is my job to hunt out evil and stop it. That is my mandate. When you die, what will people say about your works?"

TheBoyce
2010-11-08, 09:32 PM
"Ahahahahahaha, oh silly gecko I don't plan on dieing. And my actions will have meaning because they will matter, they will change this world in a meaningful way, whereas yours will only matter to yourself and you masters."

Arq Kujos
2010-11-08, 09:39 PM
"Ha! How many fools have reached for immortality only to die alone and without hope? You will not be the first to claim to outlive the gods, and you will not be the last."

TheBoyce
2010-11-08, 09:49 PM
"Lucky for me, I am no fool. Though apparently you are, I said I didn't plan on dieing, and last time I looked the gods don't plan on dieing either. Then again yours might if all their followers are as dumb as you."

tacocat
2010-11-08, 10:01 PM
The dragonborn's advice was sound, sure, but Isidore became increasingly skeptical as the argument continued to wear on. After cocking an eyebrow skyward over the frame of his goggles, he raised his sword once again and turned toward their quasi-amphibian foes.

He nodded his head, muttering something only faintly audible, his lips shrouded by his high collar.

Arq Kujos
2010-11-08, 10:07 PM
"Isn't it a bit petulent and childish to start calling people names?" Rhogar rolled his eyes and turned his back to the Tiefling. "I am finished wasting breath on an infidel unable to see any point but her own selfish greed. Continue this conversation with yourself. I have to actually protect you from these Frog-men. If you so desperately want the last word, I invite you to have it."

As fun as this was, it is starting to get a bit unrealistic. We can continue this later in an inn or something. PM me if you want to discuss it more. :smallamused:

TheBoyce
2010-11-08, 10:16 PM
"What was that, Half-breed?" a grin flashed across Ezeria's face at her reminder of the paladin's own name-calling.

We can just carry on with it during the actual battle :-P

KtD
2010-11-08, 10:32 PM
Still gazing at their enemies, Ekemon adds to the conversation, Those large sac bulges where their chins should be will make slitting their necks more difficult. But I suspect an upward stab through the armpit will sever their major vessels all the same.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-08, 10:34 PM
Sorry, I'm a bit busy.
We will start the battle tomorrow.

Sploosh
2010-11-09, 01:55 PM
Buttons wished the monsters would show themselves, else she would have to make the first move. She certainly couldn't remain here, these two reminded her of her parents.

Initiative:[roll0]
Sorry about the delayed response. I'm not very good on weekends and sometimes Monday.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-09, 08:02 PM
The Init Order:
Ekemon
Bullywug Twitcher 2
Bullywug Twitcher 1
Bullywug Croaker 1 (Dead)
Bullywug Croaker 2 (Dead)
Izzy
Buttons
Bullywug Mucker 2
Rhogar
Bullywug Mucker 1
Ezeria

The Map:
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/6972/map1sitm.png

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-09, 09:41 PM
The 6 frog men stand a bit shorter than humans; 2 wield spears, 2 wield javelins, and 2 have no weapons but brandish talon-like claws.

KtD, your turn.
I also added the map.

KtD
2010-11-09, 11:25 PM
As his two companions bicker incessantly, Ekemon stands enraptured. His hand makes subtle gestures as if wielding a blade but he makes no other movement, as if he were waiting for something. Just as suddenly, his hand stops and he mutters "Of course not," before pulling his rapier free of its scabbard and striding to the closest frogman he can see.

Free Action - Draw Rapier (Quick Swap feature)

Standard Action - Charge vs. C2
Attack Roll - +8 vs. AC [roll0]
Damage Roll - 1d8+4+1d6 [roll1], [roll2]

Move Action - Shift one square down diagonally, adjacent to the rubble.

The charge would take Ekemon to the square above the rubble and adjacent to C2 (two squares to the left of Rhogar). The shift leaves Ekemon to the square adjacent to the rubble on the left, two squares below C2.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-09, 11:59 PM
As his two companions bicker incessantly, Ekemon stands enraptured. His hand makes subtle gestures as if wielding a blade but he makes no other movement, as if he were waiting for something. Just as suddenly, his hand stops and he mutters "Of course not," before pulling his rapier free of its scabbard and striding to the closest frogman he can see.

Free Action - Draw Rapier (Quick Swap feature)

Standard Action - Charge vs. C2
Attack Roll - +8 vs. AC [roll0]
Damage Roll - 1d8+4+1d6 [roll1], [roll2]

Move Action - Shift one square down diagonally, adjacent to the rubble.

The charge would take Ekemon to the square above the rubble and adjacent to C2 (two squares to the left of Rhogar). The shift leaves Ekemon to the square adjacent to the rubble on the left, two squares below C2.

You drive your rapier into the chest of the vile frog man, and when you rip it back out you are sprayed with a spurt of stinking black blood. The creature falls over backwards, coughs up a glob of green ichor, twitches, and goes limp.

KtD
2010-11-10, 12:07 AM
The spray of black frogman ichor doesn't seem to dampen the wicked grin slashed on Ekemon's face as the frogman falls dead. If anything, the look on his face intensifies while he stares down at the fresh corpse, as if pulling the creature's spirit out of its shell with his gaze. His head snaps up in anticipation of the other monsters, the eager smile still present as he falls back to wait for his next kill.

I didn't see it on the map so I just wanted to remind you that Ekemon should be 1 square down and to the right, adjacent to the rubble.

EDIT: Scratch that move action, characters can't take actions after charging. Sorry about that!

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-10, 01:44 PM
The spray of black frogman ichor doesn't seem to dampen the wicked grin slashed on Ekemon's face as the frogman falls dead. If anything, the look on his face intensifies while he stares down at the fresh corpse, as if pulling the creature's spirit out of its shell with his gaze. His head snaps up in anticipation of the other monsters, the eager smile still present as he falls back to wait for his next kill.

I didn't see it on the map so I just wanted to remind you that Ekemon should be 1 square down and to the right, adjacent to the rubble.

EDIT: Scratch that move action, characters can't take actions after charging. Sorry about that!

So where on the map would that leave you?

KtD
2010-11-10, 01:55 PM
Exactly where you have him on the map now.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-10, 02:04 PM
Exactly where you have him on the map now.

Good.

One of the javelin wielding bullywugs (a bullywug twitcher) jumps out from it's cover and hurls a javelin at Izzy.

Does 27 hit your AC? :belkar:
If so you take 7 damage.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-10, 11:01 PM
The other javelin-wielding bullywug steps out from behind the wall and hurls a javelin at Ekemon.

Does 23 hit Ekemon's AC? If so he takes 5 damage.

KtD
2010-11-11, 02:22 AM
That's a yes to both. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a first level character with an AC higher much than 20 :).

BTW, I edited my build into my first post right after the OP for ease of reference.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-12, 12:16 PM
A feral-looking bullywug charges at Ekemon on all fours.

Does 21 (damn I'm rolling high) hit his AC?
If so he takes 9 damage.

It is now Izzy's turn.

tacocat
2010-11-12, 02:26 PM
Isidore blanches as the javelin lands squarely in his leg with a loud -thwump!- followed by the flow of blood. Tears fill his eyes as he wrenches the weapon from his leg, nearly falling one bended knee afterwards. He can see through the pain long enough to see Ekemon assaulted. Shaking off the injury for now, he moves into a safer position, brandishing the cackling rod at Ekemon's current attacker.

"Status report! Do you require aid?"

Move: Move two squares, end between Buttons and Rhogar.
Minor: None.
Standard: Static Shock on C1 vs. Reflex.
-Attack: [roll0]
-Damage: [roll1]
(If it hits, C1 takes a -2 penalty to damage roll on next attack before the end of my next turn.)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-12, 03:34 PM
The electric charge hits the bullywug right in the chest. It screams in a horribe gurgling voice, collapses onto the ground , twitches and writhes like a wounded snake, and goes limp. Oily black blood and stinking mucus pouring from it's mouth.

Buttons goes next.

KtD
2010-11-13, 02:14 AM
Ekemon turns to regard Izzy, and it seems as if a shadow has passed over the nobleman's eyes. His features are hardly discernible behind the wide grin on his face. Though a javelin almost skewered him seconds before and the now dead bullywug beside him had mauled him, Ekemon seems unaware of his injuries. After meeting Izzy's gaze, he looks back to the dead frogman at his feet.

Poor creature. He chose me as the instrument of his death but died by another's hand.

Currently at 17/31 hp. Not quite bloodied yet. (Though for a second I thought I was. I mistakenly believed that the first attack was also against Ekemon, not Izzy :)).

Sploosh
2010-11-13, 09:45 AM
Buttons looked out of place in the midst of combat. Her eyes were wide, but not from fear. Her teeth were displayed but it was a smile instead of a grimmace. Her companions trouble worried her, yes, but it didnt spoil the fun of the whole thing.

Humming a soft tune buttons flicks out a rather fiendish looking chain which she begins to expertly spin about her person. She hums a tune she picked up from servants about a rather inappropriate serving wrench and skipped her way to the meanest of the funny green men. Without missing a beat, she lashes out at him.

Minor: draw spiked chain
Move: Tactical trick one square
Standard: Charge the feral looking Bullywog by Eckmon and using backstab

Attack: [roll0]
Damage:[roll1] [roll2] Total is those two added up

Arq Kujos
2010-11-13, 07:53 PM
OOC:

Not to be grrr or snarl, but how in the name of Gygax does Button have a +14 to hit and 3d6 sneak attack? I know she is an essentials character, but come on.:smallconfused:

KtD
2010-11-14, 03:36 AM
Attack Roll

Ability Modifier +4
Spiked Chain Proficiency +3
Tactical Trick Combat Advantage +2
Backstab Encounter Power +3
Charging +1
(That's +13. Not sure where the additional +1 comes from.)

Damage Modifiers

Basic Attack - 1[W]
Surprising Charge - +1[W]
Ability Modifier - +4
Weapon Finesse Feature - +2
Sneak Attack - +2d6
Backstab Encounter Power - +1d6
(That's 4d4+6+3d6. Not sure where the additional +1 is coming from.)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-15, 12:36 AM
Sorry about the delay, I will post what happens next in the morning.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-15, 10:21 AM
The Init Order:
Ekemon
Bullywug Twitcher 2
Bullywug Twitcher 1
Bullywug Croaker 1 (Dead)
Bullywug Croaker 2 (Dead)
Izzy
Buttons
Bullywug Mucker 2 (Damaged 7)
Rhogar
Bullywug Mucker 1 (Damaged 28, Bloodied)
Ezeria

The Map:
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/6972/map1sitm.png
I like to have a map and an init order on every page, I will no longer be updating the one on the previous page.

Buttons looked out of place in the midst of combat. Her eyes were wide, but not from fear. Her teeth were displayed but it was a smile instead of a grimmace. Her companions trouble worried her, yes, but it didnt spoil the fun of the whole thing.

Humming a soft tune buttons flicks out a rather fiendish looking chain which she begins to expertly spin about her person. She hums a tune she picked up from servants about a rather inappropriate serving wrench and skipped her way to the meanest of the funny green men. Without missing a beat, she lashes out at him.

Minor: draw spiked chain
Move: Tactical trick one square
Standard: Charge the feral looking Bullywog by Eckmon and using backstab

Damage:[roll1] [roll2] Total is those two added up
Wait, isn't the bullywug you propose to attack dead?

Sploosh
2010-11-15, 06:28 PM
If it is dead, then I appologize and I'll just do that charge to the next closest if that works. TI or whatnot

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-15, 07:00 PM
If it is dead, then I appologize and I'll just do that charge to the next closest if that works. TI or whatnot

OK, You charge the next closest, once I update the map and determine if the attack hits I will post a reply.

EDIT: Button's attack strikes the bullywug strikes in the side of the head, tearing out one of it's eyes and splattering the wall with blood.
It shrieks and claws at it's missing eye and curses in the foulest of common.
The bullywug is now BLOODIED.

KtD
2010-11-16, 12:00 AM
I think the rolls and damage will have to be recalculated in that case. Tactical Trick will not grant Buttons Combat Advantage for this attack, since no ally is adjacent to T1 and it has already acted.

Sploosh
2010-11-16, 01:46 PM
You're correct doing rerolls and not making any typos or miscalculations this time to boot

Damage:[roll1]

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-17, 10:05 PM
You're correct doing rerolls and not making any typos or miscalculations this time to boot

Damage:[roll1]

Once again, sorry about the delay.
By the way, the attack misses now.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-19, 11:37 AM
A huge, powerful-looking bullywug with a spiky club throws itself at Ekemon.

However, it rolls a 6 and misses.

The dragonborn goes now.

Arq Kujos
2010-11-19, 12:04 PM
"Stand aside!" Rhogar, shifted his gaze to the left, seeing that only one foe remained. Instead, he decided to take the fight to the enemy and be a bit more proactive in protecting his allies.

Rhogar moves adjacent to Ekemon and north of him. He then marks M2 using Divine Challenge and attacks him using Enfeebling Strike.

Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-21, 05:15 PM
"Stand aside!" Rhogar, shifted his gaze to the left, seeing that only one foe remained. Instead, he decided to take the fight to the enemy and be a bit more proactive in protecting his allies.

Rhogar moves adjacent to Ekemon and north of him. He then marks M2 using Divine Challenge and attacks him using Enfeebling Strike.

Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]

Wait, so where exactly does that leave you?

Arq Kujos
2010-11-21, 05:27 PM
I'm in the north adjacent square to Ekemon.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-22, 06:30 PM
I'm in the north adjacent square to Ekemon.

Wait. North?
I didn't actually say which direction is north, can you clarify

Arq Kujos
2010-11-22, 09:10 PM
Sigh. X 6, Y 4. Coordinates would be a huge aid.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-24, 05:35 PM
Yet again, I'm sorry about the lateness. It's just that pbp D&D games get put last on the priority list. Anyway:

The paladin's attack strikes the abomination in the shoulder, delivering a small wound. The frog-man hisses like an injured snake.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-27, 03:53 PM
A powerful looking bullywug holding an ugly club comes barreling towards Rhogar.
However, it rolls a 10 and misses.

The tiefling goes next.

TheBoyce
2010-11-27, 04:39 PM
Ezeria snorts at the Paladin's pitiful efforts, even as she moves forward to prove her power.

"Foolish creatures, BURN!"

The flames in the tiefling's hands flare and dance, almost like they are trying to entice...something. The response is immediate, from the sky an orb crashes into the ground sending out a wave of fire, washing over the bullywugs.

Move 4 squares to the right, cast Blazing Starfall on the square to the right of M2.

Attack rolls against Reflex:

M1 [roll0]
M2 [roll1]

Damage:
[roll2]

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-27, 06:45 PM
The mage's attack comes raining down on the two freaks of nature. The injured one dodges but the other is not so lucky.

The assassin goes next.

KtD
2010-11-28, 01:50 AM
As Rhogar channels divine energy beside him, the manic expression on Ekemon's face gives way to lucidity and then confusion. He hesitates for a second as he becomes aware of his injuries, then looks up to regard the bullywug before him, thrusting his rapier into one with alarm before backing away.

Standard Action - Basic Attack vs. M1
Attack - +8 vs. AC [roll0]
Damage - 1d8+4+1d6 [roll1] and [roll2]

If the attack hits, use Assassin's Strike, adding [roll3]

Move Action - Shift one square to the square behind Rhogar.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-30, 09:20 PM
As Rhogar channels divine energy beside him, the manic expression on Ekemon's face gives way to lucidity and then confusion. He hesitates for a second as he becomes aware of his injuries, then looks up to regard the bullywug before him, thrusting his rapier into one with alarm before backing away.

Standard Action - Basic Attack vs. M1
Attack - +8 vs. AC [roll0]
Damage - 1d8+4+1d6 [roll1] and [roll2]

If the attack hits, use Assassin's Strike, adding [roll3]

Move Action - Shift one square to the square behind Rhogar.

Your attack strikes the bullywug with brutal force, it clutches it's gushing wound and flails at you wildly as you shift away.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-12-05, 11:07 PM
Buttons dodges the claws of a nearby bullywug.
(T1 attacks and rolls a 9).

A javelin sales past Ekmon's head.
(T2 attacks and rolls a 13).

Izzy goes next.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-12-10, 11:15 AM
Hello?
Is anyone here?

I'm really sorry about being late but I don't want the game to die yet.

Arq Kujos
2010-12-10, 01:05 PM
OOC: Tacocat is no longer part of this game. NPC Izzy for now, and take into account our lack of an artificer. Who is next?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-12-10, 01:18 PM
Do you think we should start a thread to recruit someone else to play a leader?

Arq Kujos
2010-12-10, 01:19 PM
OOC: Let's see if this thread lives long enough to get us through this first battle. If it does, sure. If not, well......:smallfrown:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-12-10, 01:20 PM
OOC: Let's see if this thread lives long enough to get us through this first battle. If it does, sure. If not, well......:smallfrown:

Awww... I like this game.

Arq Kujos
2010-12-10, 01:22 PM
Awww... I like this game.

So do I. Still, if it dies, then you have your first candidate for your next game right here. Still, this thread isn't dead yet. Like I said, let's see what happens and keep hope.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-12-10, 01:29 PM
I'll post Izzy's turn later today.

TheBoyce
2010-12-10, 02:21 PM
Yes there's far too much belligerent sexual tension to let this thing die

Arq Kujos
2010-12-10, 02:22 PM
Yes there's far too much belligerent sexual tension to let this thing die

Far, far, FAR too much. :smallsmile:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-12-10, 10:55 PM