PDA

View Full Version : What happened to nickelodeon?

druid91
2010-11-01, 10:20 AM
Ok, my sister was watching a movie on nickelodeon the other day, "The boy who cried werewolf" Now at the beginning of the movie the girl gets a big bloody hunk of meat dropped on her when she bumps into a butcher.. She somehow avoids getting any blood on her at all. I think ok this must be dried meat, that's why.. then the butcher attempts to shake hands and then stops and takes it back Because his hands are all bloody from holding the meat!!! Which way is it? is the meat bloody or not? And why didn't they just get the girl bloody to begin with, isn't Nickelodeon the icky goo channel?

So my suspension of disbelief has finally found something it can't handle...

jmbrown
2010-11-01, 10:31 AM
Never heard of the movie before but after a quick search it stars Victoria Justice, Nick's latest star. All I can say is "She has to look cute throughout the entire film or Nick loses investments."

Dr.Epic
2010-11-01, 12:23 PM
Wait, I'm confused.:smallconfused: Are you complaining about lack of blood (a bodily fluid) on a children's network?

Xefas
2010-11-01, 12:40 PM
Wait, I'm confused.:smallconfused: Are you complaining about lack of blood (a bodily fluid) on a children's network?

I think he's referring to, back in the day, a large percentage of Nick's live action programming just involved flimsy excuses to hit people in the face with buckets of goo. Sometimes the goo looked fake iridescent green. Sometimes they'd modify it to look scarily similar to mucus or...other choices.

The best solution to avoid this sort of disappointment is just to get rid of your TVs. I've been TV-free for going on 4-5 years now. I just wait to hear about an awesome new show from a reliable source and then watch it on the internet. This way, I have no reason to despair as I watch the nostalgic programming of my youth fade away into obscurity, replaced by nonsense.

]Victoria Justice
I have absolutely no idea who this is, and I don't want to. I just want to say that is a badass name. It makes me think of a steampunk mechanic rampaging through a town with their clockwork mecha yelling "Victorian Justice!"

druid91
2010-11-01, 01:08 PM

Not particularly, but having the girl(Who is supposed to be a vegetarian in the movie) at least act like she had a bloody hunk of meat dumped on her would be preferable to the "Oh I just got knocked over, I've been helped back up let me continue shopping.." They could have replaced the hunk of meat with a cardboard box and it would have more sense.

I think he's referring to, back in the day, a large percentage of Nick's live action programming just involved flimsy excuses to hit people in the face with buckets of goo. Sometimes the goo looked fake iridescent green. Sometimes they'd modify it to look scarily similar to mucus or...other choices.

The best solution to avoid this sort of disappointment is just to get rid of your TVs. I've been TV-free for going on 4-5 years now. I just wait to hear about an awesome new show from a reliable source and then watch it on the internet. This way, I have no reason to despair as I watch the nostalgic programming of my youth fade away into obscurity, replaced by nonsense.

Precisely.

Considering I am ineligible for Verizon, and Comcast would cost buckets of money to get cables put in. I am stuck with Dial-up... So TV via computer isn't an option.

jmbrown
2010-11-02, 08:43 AM
Considering I am ineligible for Verizon, and Comcast would cost buckets of money to get cables put in. I am stuck with Dial-up... So TV via computer isn't an option.

Do you ride to school everyday on a dinosaur?

Starbuck_II
2010-11-02, 09:03 AM
I have absolutely no idea who this is, and I don't want to. I just want to say that is a badass name. It makes me think of a steampunk mechanic rampaging through a town with their clockwork mecha yelling "Victorian Justice!"
She has a show on Disney called Victorious.
She joins this special school (attends a performing arts high school called Hollywood Arts) after she covers for her sister who was sick on stage (they really liked her).

It is pretty good. Good voice.

She used to be on another show Zeoy 101, but the main star (Zoey) got preggers (in real life) so show ended.

Rogue 7
2010-11-02, 10:27 AM
What happened to Nickelodeon?

You grew up.

Xefas
2010-11-02, 12:08 PM
She used to be on another show Zeoy 101, but the main star (Zoey) got preggers (in real life) so show ended.

I find a scary amount of hilarity in this. :smallredface:

TheSummoner
2010-11-02, 02:53 PM
What happened to Nickelodeon?

You grew up.

I disagree. I can go back and watch the shows they showed when I was young and still find them funny. Maybe its nostalgia filter, but I really do think that cartoons in the mid-90's were much funnier than most modern ones. There are a few good ones out there, but they're few and far between.

I find a scary amount of hilarity in this. :smallredface:

As do I. If only more of those annoying shows about teenage girls who have lives that would never happen in real life reacting to stupid, impossible situations in idiotic ways would find such hilarious ways to die.

ThePhantasm
2010-11-02, 05:32 PM
Wow. What people will complain about these days.

Orzel
2010-11-02, 06:00 PM
Nick is for little kids, man. What do ya expect?

*slime'd*

druid91
2010-11-02, 06:35 PM
Wow. What people will complain about these days.

What? that a network who used to use any excuse possible to hit someone with a bucket of goo won't make a girl hit with a slab of meat even appear uncomfortable?

The Glyphstone
2010-11-02, 06:37 PM
What? that a network who used to use any excuse possible to hit someone with a bucket of goo won't make a girl hit with a slab of meat even appear uncomfortable?

:smallconfused:Er....What.:smallconfused:

Lhurgyof
2010-11-02, 06:44 PM
What happened to nick? Sit coms about teenagers. End of story.

Quincunx
2010-11-02, 06:46 PM
I don't kn--hang on a minute, I'm not falling for that! :smalltongue: (You Can't Do That on Television was vicious.)

Clearly the appropriate solution would have been to douse her in non-blood-like green* goo from the collision and then have the butcher refuse to shake hands with her because his hands are bloody. PG rating, you are preserved, and the layer of surrealism wouldn't've gone amiss either.

*blue-green, so colorblind kids aren't upset either :smallyuk:

I disagree. I can go back and watch the shows they showed when I was young and still find them funny. Maybe its nostalgia filter, but I really do think that cartoons in the mid-90's were much funnier than most modern ones. There are a few good ones out there, but they're few and far between.

Test yourself on the cartoons of the '80s. If your nostalgia filter isn't operational, you'll squirm.

druid91
2010-11-02, 06:47 PM
:smallconfused:Er....What.:smallconfused:

She didn't act like a slab of meat was on her, she just looked at the guy (The love interest) who dropped it on her, and when he pulled it off and their short introduction scene was over she just went back to shopping. Even an "Ick I must change my shirt" type comment would have sufficed.

pffh
2010-11-02, 06:49 PM

Taken out of context, this is the best quote ever.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-11-02, 06:51 PM
Do you ride to school everyday on a dinosaur?
Yes, yes I did.

*goes off to nostalgically watch the Flintstones*:smallcool:

The Glyphstone
2010-11-02, 06:58 PM
Taken out of context, this is the best quote ever.

That was exactly my reaction, actually, and I wondered if it was intentional.

Starbuck_II
2010-11-02, 07:01 PM
I don't kn--hang on a minute, I'm not falling for that! :smalltongue: (You Can't Do That on Television was vicious.)

That show was awesome.

druid91
2010-11-02, 07:22 PM
That was exactly my reaction, actually, and I wondered if it was intentional.

Am I missing something?

...about my own words?

junglesteve
2010-11-02, 09:04 PM
The nickelodeon of my day was 100x cooler! Kablam, the secret world of alex mack, are you afraid of the dark, angry beavers, ah real monsters, ren & stimpy, and pete & pete!! I never liked hey dude or GUTS.

Lhurgyof
2010-11-02, 09:19 PM
Test yourself on the cartoons of the '80s. If your nostalgia filter isn't operational, you'll squirm.

I watch thundarr the barbarian when I can, and I'm not nostalgic about it (not old enough/never watched it when I was a kid).

+1 to Kablam!

junglesteve
2010-11-02, 10:19 PM
I watch thundarr the barbarian when I can, and I'm not nostalgic about it (not old enough/never watched it when I was a kid).

+1 to Kablam!

I watched thundar the barbarian in the mid 90s when cartoon network was just getting started.

Also "The flesh! He's super strong and super naked!'

TheSummoner
2010-11-02, 10:30 PM
"And Meltman, with the power to... Melt!"

Yeah... That was a great show...

RabbitHoleLost
2010-11-02, 10:37 PM
The nickelodeon of my day was 100x cooler! Kablam, the secret world of alex mack, are you afraid of the dark, angry beavers, ah real monsters, ren & stimpy, and pete & pete!! I never liked hey dude or GUTS.

Hey Arnold?
My god, I loved 90's cartoons.

I don't know why, but they were more adult-ish in nature and nerdy in humorstyle.
I wonder what happened...

Kris Strife
2010-11-02, 10:39 PM
Hey Arnold?

I don't know why, but they were more adult-ish in nature and nerdy in humorstyle.

Someone got offended.

TheSummoner
2010-11-02, 10:42 PM
Someone needs to grow a thicker skin.

Trog
2010-11-02, 10:58 PM
Clearly what the channel needs is a History Eraser Button (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jjN-H62U64) to go back to better times.

thegurullamen
2010-11-02, 11:13 PM
Hey Arnold?

Kids' shows don't go past a certain point unless someone forces them to. For example, Disney's got a 65 episode limit for every cartoon they air and the only reason some shows like, say, Kim Possible got another season was because of a fan-led petition/mail campaign. I'm betting the same story applies to the original Nicktoons (save for Rugrats, which was Nickelodeon's animated flagship in the 90's.) I think Hey Arnold was lucky to even get the movie it did, though considering the end result, YMMV.

But yeah, it was some seriously good TV. To date, it spawned the most civil thread I've ever seen in 4chan, so apparently, it was also made out of magic.

And as for what happened to Nick: demographic shift. They're focusing on the BS 'tween' demographic with sitcoms, like Lhurgyof said. Occasionally, they'll stumble blindly into something awesome like Avatar, but even a broken clock yadda yadda.

Man, I miss GUTS. And Legends of the Hidden Temple. Sigh.

Mystic Muse
2010-11-02, 11:21 PM
Personally, I don't usually care what Nickolodeon runs because I don't get it on my TV anyway.

The only complaint I have against the network right now is that I saw part of an episode of Icarly at a restaurant, some kids attempted to murder Spencer because he didn't have any halloween candy, and it was supposed to be a joke. Now, I don't have anything against that type of humor, but it seems out of place on Icarly.

I also agree that no blood or even goo on the girl doesn't make a lot of sense for any network after being hit with a slab of meat.

Helanna
2010-11-02, 11:28 PM
Hey Arnold?

Man, I was pretty young in the prime of cartoons. Every once in a while I find my mom watching stuff like Hey Arnold or Invader Zim, and I'm like . . . "Ah I remember this show! Wait . . . this is a lot better than I remember. In fact, it's a lot better than 99% of what Nick shows now!"

Now Nick mostly just shows those stupid teen sitcoms that all have EXACTLY the same plot. You know, "zany" teenager + friends who get into all those hi-larious scrapes and hi-jinks, but at the end they all learn a touching and heartwarming lesson that they will promptly forget so that the writers can just use the same plot 20 times before the series dies an agonized and over-due death.

No, wait a second . . . I think I got confused. That's the Disney channel up there. Nick is the one that just shows reruns of Avatar now because that's their best show of the last 5 years, right? :smalltongue: Seriously, at any given time Nick is either showing Avatar, just finished showing Avatar, or is just about to show Avatar.

TheSummoner
2010-11-02, 11:33 PM
Now Nick mostly just shows those stupid teen sitcoms that all have EXACTLY the same plot. You know, "zany" teenager + friends who get into all those hi-larious scrapes and hi-jinks, but at the end they all learn a touching and heartwarming lesson that they will promptly forget so that the writers can just use the same plot 20 times before the series dies an agonized and over-due death.

No, wait a second . . . I think I got confused. That's the Disney channel up there. Nick is the one that just shows reruns of Avatar now because that's their best show of the last 5 years, right? :smalltongue: Seriously, at any given time Nick is either showing Avatar, just finished showing Avatar, or is just about to show Avatar.

So close. You got Disney spot on, but Nick shows the same tween dramas over and over in addition to reruns of Avatar.

I personally never got into Avatar, but it isn't the cheesegrater against the chalkboard that the tween dramas are. Granted, I rarely even have the channel on nowadays, but whenever one of those comes on (whether it is because it is one of those rare times I am watching the channel or because my idiot sister who has such terrible taste that she likes that garbage is watching it), it actually causes me physical pain as I feel parts of my brain comitting suicide.

Castel
2010-11-02, 11:42 PM
I remember things got weird in Nick after Invader Zim... I really liked nicktoons until that point, I don't even remember what they started showing after Zim. Nowadays, though, it really is all iCarly and other teen programs... and I can't stand iCarly, with all the Tarantino Fetish momments it has, it just weirds me out.

I remember watching El Tigre a long while back, and I thought it wasn't bad.

Magnor Criol
2010-11-02, 11:42 PM
My solution to Nick's influx of tween dramas is simple - Don't watch Nick; watch Nicktoons. I'm lucky enough to get the nice mega-package of channels, and Nicktoon is one of them. It's all toons (well, occasionally The Troop) and a lot of older ones, including Teenage Robot and Invader ZIM, and El Tigre, which I think is one of my favorite cartoons, at least on Nick.

I don't bother with the normal Nick channels. =p

Zevox
2010-11-03, 12:09 AM
Hey, at least they actually know which show they have that is genuinely good :smallcool: .

Personally, I never watched Nick much. Their 90s cartoons simply did not appeal to me as a kid, and I can't imagine going back and watching them now. I was more a Cartoon Network watcher back then, plus whatever networks were showing things like Animaniacs, Freakazoid, the X-Men, and reruns of the 80s Transformers and TMNT cartoons. About all Nick has made that I really liked was Avatar and the Fairly Odd Parents. Wait, actually, I think Danny Phantom was another of theirs I watched for a decent while - almost forgot that one. I haven't actually watched anything on TV besides the Daily Show, Colbert Report, and scattered episodes of Mythbusters since 2006 or so, so it's easy to forget the shows I used to watch which weren't my top favorites.

Zevox

druid91
2010-11-03, 02:52 PM
My solution to Nick's influx of tween dramas is simple - Don't watch Nick; watch Nicktoons. I'm lucky enough to get the nice mega-package of channels, and Nicktoon is one of them. It's all toons (well, occasionally The Troop) and a lot of older ones, including Teenage Robot and Invader ZIM, and El Tigre, which I think is one of my favorite cartoons, at least on Nick.

I don't bother with the normal Nick channels. =p

You don't have tween little sisters do you?:smallwink:

And I do watch Nicktoons. My sisters turn it off the moment I turn my back.

Whatever happened to the show with the solar powered jedi?

Lhurgyof
2010-11-04, 07:17 AM
You don't have tween little sisters do you?:smallwink:

And I do watch Nicktoons. My sisters turn it off the moment I turn my back.

Whatever happened to the show with the solar powered jedi?

Solar powered jedi?

druid91
2010-11-04, 02:59 PM
Yes, they were like jedi, but needed sunlight for power. The gist is that earth blew up, people sail the asteroids in search of water and habitable land. Main bad-guys are called the sphere.

WhiteHarness
2010-11-05, 09:27 AM
I have fond memories of Nickelodeon as it was in the mid-1980s--Pinwheel, David the Gnome, Belle and Sebastian, The Mysterious Cities of Gold, etc. Something...happened...to our culture in the 1990s in the wake of things like Beavis and Butthead, and Ren and Stimpy, and the quality of Nickelodeon's programming rapidly went downhill, IMO...

BridgeCity
2010-11-05, 10:20 AM
Yes, they were like jedi, but needed sunlight for power. The gist is that earth blew up, people sail the asteroids in search of water and habitable land. Main bad-guys are called the sphere.

Think it was called Skyland.

Pendragonx
2010-11-05, 11:01 AM
ha yea.. yea Nick used to be full of awesome and win back in the day...

anyone remember SNICK? ... I used to love that.. Roundhouse, Are You Afraid Of The Dark? The Tomorrow People ... great stuff!

Syka
2010-11-05, 12:05 PM
I never liked Ren and Stimpy, but I LOVE Hey Arnold, Doug (the ORIGINAL), Angry Beavers, Ah! Real Monsters (even my mom loved that one), Rocko's Modern Life, etc.

I was actually almost late for work last year because Nick was playing an episode of Rocko. I was so sad I had to go to work and couldn't stick around to watch awesome cartoons. :(

(Also, Thundercats, Beast Wars, and some old CN stuff. <3)

Lhurgyof
2010-11-05, 09:31 PM
I never liked Ren and Stimpy, but I LOVE Hey Arnold, Doug (the ORIGINAL), Angry Beavers, Ah! Real Monsters (even my mom loved that one), Rocko's Modern Life, etc.

I was actually almost late for work last year because Nick was playing an episode of Rocko. I was so sad I had to go to work and couldn't stick around to watch awesome cartoons. :(

(Also, Thundercats, Beast Wars, and some old CN stuff. <3)

I have a VHS of beast wars, it's so bad it's good.

Also, why don't you like Ren and Stimpy? :smallconfused:

I loved it, but then again I watched Beavis and Butthead as a kid. xD

Mystic Muse
2010-11-05, 09:35 PM
Also, why don't you like Ren and Stimpy? :smallconfused:

From the few clips I've seen of it, it looks like a show about two hyperactive extremely dumb things/kids/whatever they are. Now, that kind of humor might appeal to some but it doesn't appeal to everybody.

Lhurgyof
2010-11-05, 11:30 PM
From the few clips I've seen of it, it looks like a show about two hyperactive extremely dumb things/kids/whatever they are. Now, that kind of humor might appeal to some but it doesn't appeal to everybody.

Ren is at least smart.
It's more like a relatively smart chihuahua hanging around with a dumb cat (I think stimpy's a manx), and Ren ends up abusing Stimpy somehow.

There's so much variation in the different episodes, it's hard to boil it down into anything more specific than that.

Edit: Also, Powdered Toast Man and Log.

Teln
2010-11-10, 04:29 PM
Give me the Magic School Bus any day.

The fact that my parents only let me watch PBS because we didn't have cable back then may play some part in my preferences.

SaintRidley
2010-11-10, 08:29 PM
Ren is at least smart.
It's more like a relatively smart chihuahua hanging around with a dumb cat (I think stimpy's a manx), and Ren ends up abusing Stimpy somehow.

There's so much variation in the different episodes, it's hard to boil it down into anything more specific than that.

Edit: Also, Powdered Toast Man and Log.

Ren and Stimpy began, for me, my interest in surrealist insanicomedy. The Adventure's of Pete and Pete gave me my taste for live-action surrealism, but Ren and Stimpy honed my senses on the surrealist front and paved the way for shows like Rocko.

Lhurgyof
2010-11-10, 08:33 PM
Ren and Stimpy began, for me, my interest in surrealist insanicomedy. The Adventure's of Pete and Pete gave me my taste for live-action surrealism, but Ren and Stimpy honed my senses on the surrealist front and paved the way for shows like Rocko.

Wow, same here. Ren an Stimpy and Rocko were my favorites. :smallbiggrin:

KerfuffleMach2
2010-11-16, 10:08 AM
Give me the Magic School Bus any day.

Yes.

Nick has a couple good shows still. Fairly Oddparents and Avatar being top of that list.

ReluctantReaper
2010-11-16, 01:14 PM
Im not sure what channel it was on..but it was a cgi show in like the future..and im not sure what it was about exactly but the characters were green and had some type of super power stuff...anyone have any idea? I think there was a robot dog or something like that.

wadledo
2010-11-16, 01:28 PM
Im not sure what channel it was on..but it was a cgi show in like the future..and im not sure what it was about exactly but the characters were green and had some type of super power stuff...anyone have any idea? I think there was a robot dog or something like that.

Was the dog a Dinosaur? And did they race sometimes, with there being a stable as the main setting/base thing?

Because otherwise that's a very very very common premise.

Also, Ren & Stimpy made me interested in surrealism. And probably ended up propelling me into my long love of transcendentalism.

ReluctantReaper
2010-11-16, 01:29 PM
um.. maybe by chance? it was like a game world type thing i think..i dont know @.@

Edit: found it, it was called reboot

wadledo
2010-11-16, 01:35 PM
um.. maybe by chance? it was like a game world type thing i think..i dont know @.@

Like I said, that's a very very common premise. Future world, Probably all a game, Robot Dog, 'Green characters,' CGI, "Some type of super power stuff."

KerfuffleMach2
2010-11-16, 04:57 PM

Edit: found it, it was called reboot

I was going to say that. Man, that show was awesome! I miss it.

Quorothorn
2010-11-16, 06:37 PM

...Huh. I check Nickelodean every couple of days/weeks and I've never run across an Avatar rerun. I am disappoint.

Edit: AH-HA! Silly me. NickToons appears to have plenty of Avatar. I didn't know i got that channel. Mwahahaha.