PDA

View Full Version : Who Needs a Sheath? (3.5)

Kyouhen
2010-11-01, 03:21 PM
So I have a Warforged Artificer/Fighter. I've only taken one level in Fighter for the proficiencies, and used the bonus feat for Quickdraw. I'm aiming for a weapons master theme, with my character running around with a weapon for every occassion strapped onto him.

So far my character's been looting any and all weapons/shields we find on enemies and has built up a rather nice little collection. We were joking around and the DM declared that I need to enchant my body so that it's magnetic and I can just stick the weapons on me as well as instantly disarm anyone stupid enough to try hitting me.

Now then Playgrounders, are there currently any ways that exist that would allow me to do this? It doesn't have to be magnetic, but it needs to not interfere with my Quickdraw ability. (Note that the DM is likely to be flexible in exact methods, I'm just looking for ideas)

subject42
2010-11-01, 03:31 PM
Kill yourself and then raise yourself as an intelligent skeleton. Shove weapons inside of your ribcage.

ericgrau
2010-11-01, 03:34 PM
If you make a disarm attempt while unarmed you get to keep the weapon. It gives you a -4 but you can cancel that with the improved disarm feat and a high attack bonus in general (greater magic fang, etc.). Multiple attacks helps too. Some form of reach such as large size could make enemies provoke attacks of opportunity when they approach you which could let you disarm them before they even attack. Large size also gives a +4 to disarm. Alternatively if the foe looks hard to disarm you could use your weapon to disarm him and he'll be forced to spend his turn picking it up and provoking another attack instead of finishing his charge.

As for carrying them I'd use clips or rambo-style bands with lots of sheaths on them.

Da Beast
2010-11-01, 03:35 PM
I think that there is an actual magnetic armor property somewhere that takes away weapons from people who hit you. Can't remember where it comes from though :smallsigh:

Tokuhara
2010-11-01, 03:36 PM
Since you'e an artificer, build sheathes into your armor-skin and then hide your weapon arsenal in it...

Or a bag of holding could do the trick.

Heck, have your party main caster create a demiplane you can enter with like a ring, and have a Matrix-like rack-'o-million weapons

Noedig
2010-11-01, 03:42 PM
If you could figure out how to duplicate the effects of a Metal Master, you'd have what you're looking for.

subject42
2010-11-01, 04:08 PM
More seriously, there is the cantrip stick in the MiC. It might not have quite enough strength to keep the weapons on your body, but it might be worth taking a look at.

Marnath
2010-11-01, 04:24 PM
Kill yourself and then raise yourself as an intelligent skeleton. Shove weapons inside of your ribcage.

Warforged don't rise as undead. Their insides are made of wood.

subject42
2010-11-01, 04:27 PM

Then maybe stab yourself really hard and just leave the weapons sticking out of your torso?

I would just go with stick, though.

Kyouhen
2010-11-01, 04:46 PM
Since you'e an artificer, build sheathes into your armor-skin and then hide your weapon arsenal in it...

Or a bag of holding could do the trick.

Heck, have your party main caster create a demiplane you can enter with like a ring, and have a Matrix-like rack-'o-million weapons

Adamantine body. It would probably be cheaper to get a demiplane than to try carving sheathes in myself. :smalltongue:

But mostly the point is my character runs around with a jacket draped over his shoulders that he mostly uses when he doesn't want to draw attention to his shiny body. I just think it'll be hilarious to have him throw the jacket open and reveal that he's a walking armoury. That and the demiplane doesn't let me use my Quickdraw. :smalltongue:

If you could figure out how to duplicate the effects of a Metal Master, you'd have what you're looking for.

What book is Metal Master from? All I've been able to find is that it's an alternate Druid, but I can't find any rules for it. :smallfrown:

More seriously, there is the cantrip stick in the MiC. It might not have quite enough strength to keep the weapons on your body, but it might be worth taking a look at.

Stick's a possibility, though I'd have to recast it every time I want to attach a weapon. (Not that that's going to be hard, I plan on getting Wand Sheathes at some point and I could just cram a Stick wand in there)

Unless someone has a really awesome idea, what I'm probably going to end up doing is copying the Mimic's adhesive but make it magnetic instead. My DM would likely allow this. I just want to see if there's any more hilarious ideas already out there.

Lev
2010-11-01, 04:54 PM
Stick comes off with very little effort. You'd probably lose all your weapons just by walking.

I'd suggest a Handy Haversack or Bag of Holding.

AsteriskAmp
2010-11-01, 04:55 PM
If your DM allows it you could get your armor made into a NdFeB magnet on the inside, since you still would have a metal on the outside it would be magnetised but the magnetism wouldn't be that strong so weapons don't fall but are easy to take away from the armor. (This was written with a basic knowledge of electromagnetism, feel free to correct me).

Dr.Epic
2010-11-01, 04:56 PM
I'm trying to think of any cartoons or animes with robots that have similar abilities. All I can come up with is Gurren Lagann and drills.

Marnath
2010-11-01, 05:19 PM
I'm trying to think of any cartoons or animes with robots that have similar abilities. All I can come up with is Gurren Lagann and drills.

Cloud from FF7 uses magnets to carry his buster sword, if that helps.

nedz
2010-11-01, 06:37 PM
Quiver of Ehlonna (however its spelt) might help with the long pointy ones.

dgnslyr
2010-11-01, 06:56 PM

He does? When did they say that?

Dimers
2010-11-01, 06:57 PM
I'd say Handy Haversack, refluffed and built as a no-body-slot item for double the usual cost. Maybe with the addition that it can ONLY be used for holding weapons, and doesn't suffer any chance of being pierced from the inside.

dgnslyr
2010-11-01, 06:59 PM
Well, if your swords are in sheaths, you shouldn't have to worry as much about your Handy Haversack being punctured.

DementedFellow
2010-11-01, 07:17 PM
Was I the only one who thought of the character Fat Chance from the Venture Bros.?

herrhauptmann
2010-11-01, 10:15 PM
I'd say Handy Haversack, refluffed and built as a no-body-slot item for double the usual cost. Maybe with the addition that it can ONLY be used for holding weapons, and doesn't suffer any chance of being pierced from the inside.

Just reflavor it. The haversack is ordinarily a nonslot item anyway.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-01, 10:23 PM

Now explain how the many other other anime/video game characters are able to wield such massive swords?

herrhauptmann
2010-11-01, 11:11 PM
Guts from Berserk has a fake hand (with a cannon in it).
When he needs to fight, he's got magnets in the hand that help him hold onto his sword.
They can hold that giant sword, at the same time, they're not so powerful that random kitchen wear goes flying at him from across the room.

Innis Cabal
2010-11-01, 11:16 PM
Guts from Berserk has a fake hand (with a cannon in it).
When he needs to fight, he's got magnets in the hand that help him hold onto his sword.
They can hold that giant sword, at the same time, they're not so powerful that random kitchen wear goes flying at him from across the room.

That isn't canon in the slightest.

Coidzor
2010-11-01, 11:39 PM

They do, just not very usually or as skeletons because, well, yeah...

But mostly the point is my character runs around with a jacket draped over his shoulders that he mostly uses when he doesn't want to draw attention to his shiny body. I just think it'll be hilarious to have him throw the jacket open and reveal that he's a walking armoury. That and the demiplane doesn't let me use my Quickdraw. :smalltongue:

Adamantine's not that shiny. Also, there's lacquer for that.

If you want to use quickdraw though, look up Iajutsu Focus and ways to get it.

claypigeons
2010-11-01, 11:43 PM

I vote this.

Also, just to be more convoluted, tell your DM that you need to die, get reincarnated as something with flesh... THEN die ~again~ to raised as an intelligent skeleton.

After he says "(flat) No", tell him your actual idea. :smallbiggrin:

Fizban
2010-11-02, 01:37 AM
There's Naijar's Cloak of Weaponry in Player's Guide to Faerun. It basically is a refluffed Handy Haversack. The only problem is that apparently changing the retrieval action from "move" to "once per round" (whatever that means), has cut the storage capacity down to 25lbs. There's an updated version in the MiC, but it only holds a single weapon and specifies a swift action. I'd use the older version and claim that it uses your normal "draw a weapon" action which is reduced by Quickdraw, possibly refluffing as trench coat if needed.

For using the Stick spell, it's a cantrip that can only support objects up to 5lbs and is defeated by 10mph wind, so it's rather unsuitable for combat applications (running would probably make them all fall off). There's a Magnetism spell in Complete Arcane you could use. The actual spell effect would be horrible for this use (pulling distant objects with strength 30), but as a prerequisite for a wondrous item it would be just fine. Make it a swift action to attach or detach an item, allowing you to keep your weapons "on body" instead of dropping them in combat to switch. Then after combat you put them back in their normal sheathes so you can quickdraw them next fight. For swift action gear storage, limited to metal objects and without weight reduction, I think 1,000-2,000 would be fair.

Edit: ooh, you could also homebrew an Augment Crystal of Magnetism. It could do the same swift action deal for draw/store, and charge 300gp like the quickdraw crystal. Then maybe go to +2 on and against disarm, then up to +5 for disarms and apply -2 dex for 1 round on hit to creatures carrying lots of metal. Cost 300gp/1,000gp/4,000gp.

Agrippa
2010-11-02, 01:41 AM
Now explain how the many other other anime/video game characters are able to wield such massive swords?

Maybe they all have superstrength. Sort of like Superman or the Hulk. Now just imagine for a few seconds the Hulk running around with the Buster Sword. Try holding that mental image in your head for a while.

Coidzor
2010-11-02, 01:43 AM
Maybe they all have superstrength. Sort of like Superman or the Hulk. Now just imagine for a few seconds the Hulk running around with the Buster Sword. Try holding that mental image in your head for a while.

Ok, Hulk dwarfs the buster sword... Not sure why this is supposed to rock my world, tbh.

AslanCross
2010-11-02, 01:47 AM

There are, in fact, "undead" warforged called woeforged. They're mentioned in The Forge of War. However, they aren't statted, and by their description are not skeletal.

Agrippa
2010-11-02, 02:13 AM
Ok, Hulk dwarfs the buster sword... Not sure why this is supposed to rock my world, tbh.

I know that, it just sounds fun to watch.

Ashram
2010-11-02, 02:20 AM
Well, as a warforged, you could always cut out a portion of your back (No more than like 5 inches tall and like 3 inches wide) and stick a magnet back there. I'm sure that some 3.5 splatbook includes magnets, it's just finding one strong enough to hold the weapons on your back and then at the same time weak enough to pull off of your back without a massive Strength check is the problem.

(Yes, I got this idea from the magnetic plating that Master Chief from the Halo series has. >.>)

Elfstone
2010-11-02, 09:31 AM
Magnetic armor quality
Only metal, makes a powerful magnetic field when struck. Each time you are struck with a steel or iron weapon you get a free disarm attempt. No negative effects (sticking to a door frame or other metal). If you succeed the weapon is stuck to you and for a free action you can retrieve it.
Cost +2 bonus, magnetic pulse

From WoTC 3.5 Items archives.

Sounds like exactly what you need. I can give the link if you want.:smallcool:

Lev
2010-11-02, 09:42 AM
Magnetic armor quality
Only metal, makes a powerful magnetic field when struck. Each time you are struck with a steel or iron weapon you get a free disarm attempt. No negative effects (sticking to a door frame or other metal). If you succeed the weapon is stuck to you and for a free action you can retrieve it.

I'd like a link =]

Kyouhen
2010-11-02, 11:16 AM
Magnetic armor quality

Link would indeed be nice. :smalltongue:

Takes away what had started the idea (something about the DM saying I should make my body megnetic so I can Spider Climb metal walls), but still accomplishes exactly what I'm looking for.

Marnath
2010-11-02, 12:48 PM
There are, in fact, "undead" warforged called woeforged. They're mentioned in The Forge of War. However, they aren't statted, and by their description are not skeletal.

:smalleek: For realz?
I do not have that book. Hmmm.
Still, they aren't eligible for skeleton or zombie template, as you need a skeletal structure to qualify.

Lev
2010-11-02, 01:08 PM
Still, they aren't eligible for skeleton or zombie template, as you need a skeletal structure to qualify.
What about ghost?

Coidzor
2010-11-02, 02:23 PM
What about ghost?

They living. They can die. By RAW they're not of the appropriate types, but really, screw the RAW, as living constructs weren't around when the template was created.

Kyouhen
2010-11-02, 03:14 PM

Though they don't have any immunity to necromancy effects. Maybe their plating falls off if you raise them as a skeleton?

Notreallyhere77
2010-11-02, 05:10 PM
I think that there is an actual magnetic armor property somewhere that takes away weapons from people who hit you. Can't remember where it comes from though :smallsigh:

It's in Quintessential Fighter 2, via Mongoose.
I don't remember the price, but it lets you attempt to disarm opponents who hit you with a metal weapon. It grants a small bonus to this disarm attempt, but not other disarm attempts.

true_shinken
2010-11-02, 07:52 PM

Planet Hulk is basically about this.

Agrippa
2010-11-02, 08:46 PM
Planet Hulk is basically about this.

And I's just love to find it.

Kami2awa
2010-11-03, 03:59 AM
Even a strong magnet would be fairly easy to slide or lever a sword from, given that the sword is long compared to the magnet's area you could simply prise it off by the handle. Unless, of course, you are getting into the realm of large laboratory magnets which would be a pain in backside due to attracting every piece of ferrous metal nearby.

Why not just say "my body is magnetic, this has very little use apart from storing metal items stuck to it"? I don't think that's being particularly broken, it's just like having a lot of pockets. There aren't that many other uses for a weakly magnetic body in D&D (maybe finding an iron item lost in sand? detecting metal trap components beyond thin walls? However, both of these could be achieved with a regular horseshoe magnet.)

I now have the image in my head of a warforged with many tiny yellow notes stuck on him with magnets, saying "Buy milk" or "Do the washing up!"

AslanCross
2010-11-03, 07:31 AM

They were discovered in the Mournland, which kind of uses plot-fu to bypass rules to bring about general weirdness. The woeforged are rusted and pitted as decaying metal would appear, so they're technically not skeletons. They're also likely intelligent. The Necropolitan template would probably translate the concept into crunch best.

Kansaschaser
2010-11-03, 10:17 AM
I've found that the easiest way to store a full set of armor and weapons is a ring of Arming. It costs 5,000 gp and as a standard action, it switches what you are currently wearing with another armor set. Anything held in hand also switches. So if you are wearing Full Plate, a Heavy Steel Shield, and a Bastard sword, when you say the command, your Full Plate, Shield, and sword vanish and then you can put on any other set of armor and/or weapons. You can then switch between the two as much as you want.

If you want to carry around lots of weapons, you can have any weapon shrunk with the Shrink Item spell permanently. You can then shrink and un-shrink it any number of times.

On my Wizard, I carry around a Colossal +++++ Warmace that has been shrunk permanently. When I shrink it down, it turns into a Colossal sized Warmace. I then turn it into a big piece of cloth and roll it up like a giant scroll that I carry on my back (like many Naruto characters).

When the fight starts, I throw the scroll to the ground and it appears a a Colossal +++++ Warmace. I then cast Animate Weapon (Complete Mage) to have it fight for me. I started using this technique at level 5 as a Transmuter.

Elfstone
2010-11-04, 08:42 PM
Link *dun dun dun....*
Is here
Magical link (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040612a)

About 3 items down.

Kyouhen
2010-11-05, 12:39 AM
Great, thanks for the help! :smallbiggrin:

Elfstone
2010-11-05, 08:46 PM
No problem, it was my pleasure. I love surfing around on the WotC site. You should try it.