PDA

View Full Version : Improving monk damage

monkman
2010-11-01, 07:48 PM
I have a large troll monk and i am wondering how to increase his damage by ether feats or by items, Some ways to increase his size permanently would help as well.

AustontheGreat1
2010-11-01, 07:51 PM
What feats do you have already? Superior Unarmed Strike from ToB increases your unarmed strike damage as if you were 4 levels higher.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-11-01, 07:57 PM
There's the Monk's Belt that will boost your unarmed damage another 5 levels. Also, the Amulet of Mighty Fists (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items#TOC-Amulet-of-Mighty-Fists) lets you enhance your unarmed strikes and natural attacks (claws and bite) like a magic weapon. Sure, it's more expensive than a magic weapon, but one amulet covers all unarmed strikes and natural weapons.

Also, unlike with magic weapons, an Amulet can have special abilities without any regular enhancement bonus. So instead of a +1 Fists of Flaming, you could have Fists of Flaming Burst for the same price.

Going this route, you should look into the Collision special ability for the amulet. For the price of a +2 enhancement bonus, you get a +5 untyped bonus to damage (but not attack rolls).

monkman
2010-11-01, 08:03 PM
There's the Monk's Belt that will boost your unarmed damage another 5 levels. Also, the Amulet of Mighty Fists (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items#TOC-Amulet-of-Mighty-Fists) lets you enhance your unarmed strikes and natural attacks (claws and bite) like a magic weapon. Sure, it's more expensive than a magic weapon, but one amulet covers all unarmed strikes and natural weapons.

Also, unlike with magic weapons, an Amulet can have special abilities without any regular enhancement bonus. So instead of a +1 Fists of Flaming, you could have Fists of Flaming Burst for the same price.

Going this route, you should look into the Collision special ability for the amulet. For the price of a +2 enhancement bonus, you get a +5 untyped bonus to damage (but not attack rolls).
I already got a +5bonus to my fist so th amulet dosent work.Also i asked

Would i be able to enchant some random gloves to give them properitys?(keen,flaming,forst,etc)
and he said no to that.

What feats do you have already? Superior Unarmed Strike from ToB increases your unarmed strike damage as if you were 4 levels higher.

I got improved natural attack X2 and im lv 20 so i cant increase my unarmed attack

Eldonauran
2010-11-01, 08:05 PM
Monk Weapons unarmed attacks can count as Natural Weapons.. so:

Improved Natural Attack (MM I): increases damage by a size category

Necklace of Natural Attack (Savage Species): Like Amulet of Mighty fist, except waaaaay cheaper and only applies to one attack (natural or monk's unarmed) at a time.

Keld Denar
2010-11-01, 08:07 PM
Improved Natural Attack(Unarmed Strike) will also bump you up a size catagory.

If you multiclass into Psychic Warrior, you can manifest Expansion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/expansion.htm). If you look in the book Secrets of Sarlona (its an Eberron book), there is a feat there that allows you to stack your monk levels with your levels in any one psionic class of your choice. If you pick PsyWar, you will gain PsyWar power (like Expansion) while continuing to increase your UAS damage, AC bonus, and Flurry progression as if you'd never left the class. Requires the feat Monastic Training (Eberron Campaign Setting) as a prereq.

Expanding will increase your size for a short period of time. Note that as a "giant" type creature, you don't qualify for Enlarge Person. Yea, you heard me, you aren't a "person"...deal with it! :P

EDIT: Hmmmm, are you already invested in ALL of those monk levels? Like, did you level up into them? Or are you building the character? If you ARE building the character, trim the monk levels back to 2 and take the rest as Psy War levels with Tashalatora. You won't regret it, trust me!

monkman
2010-11-01, 08:15 PM
This is my monk troll (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=250529), he is using this monk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126346&highlight=monk) fix and i got full monk lvs.I think that it will help.

Diarmuid
2010-11-01, 08:17 PM
Gloves is completely different than the Amulet. The amulet is RaW.

But if you're finding your lvl 20 Monk isnt doing enough damage...well thats cuz it's just not that great a class.

monkman
2010-11-01, 08:23 PM
Gloves is completely different than the Amulet. The amulet is RaW.

But if you're finding your lvl 20 Monk isnt doing enough damage...well thats cuz it's just not that great a class.

He does 4d10+2d12(profane)+1d8(Vs living)+1d6(cold)+33 but i got slightly nerfed when a fellow player told me than a item that i was using,was only for a certain race So i had to give it up.

Arcane_Snowman
2010-11-01, 08:29 PM
There's a spell in Races of the Dragon which will increase the unarmed damage by one size category per 4 or so levels (cannot remember the name anymore, and I don't have the book on me).

Hirax
2010-11-01, 08:30 PM
The Fist of the Forest prestige class might be worth your consideration. However its unarmed damage entry is poorly/ambiguously worded (see below). My belief is it is intended to be able to increase your unarmed damage beyond 1d10 in applicable scenarios.

Unarmed Damage (Ex): Your unarmed attacks deal more damage than usual. At 1st level, you deal ld8 points of damage with each unarmed strike. When you attain 3rd level, this damage increases to 1d10 points. See the monk class feature (PH 41). If your unarmed attack already deals this amount of damage, increase the base damage to the next step indicated on the monk class table.

Keld Denar
2010-11-01, 08:31 PM
Looks like you've pretty much exhausted available size increases outside of a Wand of Greater Mighty Wallop. That just leaves the standard stuff that works for most characters. Do you Power Attack? If so, get Armbands of Might for +2 damage every time you PA for 2 or more. That means you PA for 2, you get +4 damage, or PA for 8 to get +10 damage. Its not a lot, but its a cheap item. If you venerate a diety with the War domain, Gauntlets of War will give you another +3 damage for 4000g. Boost your Str or Wis or both...thats about all I can think of atm.

monkman
2010-11-01, 08:35 PM
1troll/monk
2troll/monk
3troll/monk
4troll/monk
5troll/monk
6war troll/monk
7war troll/monk
8war troll/monk
9war troll/monk
10war troll/monk
11war troll/monk
12war troll/monk
13 unholy scion/monk
14 unholy scion/monk
15 unholy scion/monk
16 death knight/monk
17 death knight/monk
18 death knight/monk
19monk
20monk
That my build,I am missing 2 class lvs, any suggestions on what i should get?

Keld Denar
2010-11-01, 08:40 PM
Ardent! Complete Psionic.

There is a mantle that grants Expansion. Take it and become HUGE for a couple minutes per day. Ardent will give you more PP than PsyWar will that late in the build.

In reality, I'd swap Death Knight for more Ardent. Buffing powers are AWESOME!

VirOath
2010-11-01, 08:44 PM
You are, a monk. You have unarmed strike. Picking up Snap Kick from ToB will give you an unarmed strike at your highest value as a bonus attack. It works like Rapid Shot but for unarmed attacks, and it is always able to be used. Standard Attack, Full Attack, Decisive Strike, and even on AoOs. (Edit: Oh Noes! I forgot the downside. -2 to all attacks that round.)

If you are flanking often, picking up Martial Study (Any Shadow Assassin Maneuver) and then Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance) will give you 2d6 sneak attack with Shadow Hand weapons (Which include Unarmed Strikes).

If you really want to load up the damage dice per attack, get leadership. This might seem like the most unassuming feat in the game, but the cohort is basically a free npc buff bot of your design. Dragon Fire Inspiration Bard (A Dragon blooded bard that has the Dragon Fire Inspiration feat, then tricks out the HD bonus of the corresponding song). What is awesome about this, it is not only free haste on command, but Bardic Songs last for as long as the Bard sings, the limit is times per day. And it buffs out the entire party.

If you can combine all of the above, get a cube of dice, you'll need it.

Diarmuid
2010-11-01, 08:51 PM
Looks like you've pretty much exhausted available size increases outside of a Wand of Greater Mighty Wallop. That just leaves the standard stuff that works for most characters. Do you Power Attack? If so, get Armbands of Might for +2 damage every time you PA for 2 or more. That means you PA for 2, you get +4 damage, or PA for 8 to get +10 damage. Its not a lot, but its a cheap item. If you venerate a diety with the War domain, Gauntlets of War will give you another +3 damage for 4000g. Boost your Str or Wis or both...thats about all I can think of atm.

Natural weapons are always considered Light and thusly cannot be Power Attacked.

Keld Denar
2010-11-01, 08:52 PM
Natural weapons are always considered Light and thusly cannot be Power Attacked.

Nope nope nope! Power Attack. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#powerAttack)

Special
If you attack with a two-handed weapon, or with a one-handed weapon wielded in two hands, instead add twice the number subtracted from your attack rolls. You can’t add the bonus from Power Attack to the damage dealt with a light weapon (except with unarmed strikes or natural weapon attacks), even though the penalty on attack rolls still applies. (Normally, you treat a double weapon as a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. If you choose to use a double weapon like a two-handed weapon, attacking with only one end of it in a round, you treat it as a two-handed weapon.)

Bolded FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

monkman
2010-11-01, 08:59 PM
Ardent! Complete Psionic.

There is a mantle that grants Expansion. Take it and become HUGE for a couple minutes per day. Ardent will give you more PP than PsyWar will that late in the build.

In reality, I'd swap Death Knight for more Ardent. Buffing powers are AWESOME!

Which mantle give me that?Secodly I cant swap death knight lvs for ardent, I get a minoin at the lv and the minoin is a dread necro that augments my power+ the dread necromancer can heal me.

Diarmuid
2010-11-01, 09:05 PM
Nope nope nope! Power Attack. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#powerAttack)

Bolded FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

Well slap my ass and call me Shirley....I sit corrected. /acquiesce

Keld Denar
2010-11-01, 09:11 PM
Huh, apparently I'm dumb. I could have sworn it was in the Physical Power Mantle, but I just looked any it appears I'm wrong (imagine that...it NEVER happens!). Still, using the power swap web enhancement, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to trade Adrenaline Boost for Expansion. It certainly fits the flavor of the mantle. Plus, you could pick up the Freedom mantle as well to get +10 move speed while focused and the AMAZING Dim Hop power for 10' swift action teleports!

Darrin
2010-11-01, 09:27 PM
Improved Natural Attack(Unarmed Strike) will also bump you up a size catagory.

So will Shape Soulmeld: Totem Avatar and Open Lesser Chakra feat (bound to shoulder chakra). Soulmelds such as Mauling Gauntlets and Incarnate Avatar can be pumped up with essentia to increase melee damage. Not to mention binding Sphynx Claws for pounce. Magic of Incarnum.

Adding the Mighty Arms warforged graft (Faiths of Eberron) and a Battlefist (ECS) also will increase your attack damage up a size category, but it's really not clear how a Battlefist actually works with a monk's unarmed strike.

Claws of the Beast (Fiendish Codex I) allows you to add your claw damage to your unarmed strikes. Claw damage can be obtained via Shape Soulmeld: Claws of the Wyrm (you'll need the dragonblood subtype) or some other means.

Planar Touchstone linked to Densahl’s Challenge gets you +1 damage on your melee damage rolls as the base ability.

tyckspoon
2010-11-01, 09:31 PM
Scout is tempting, considering the free movement offered in that particular Monk remix, but you'd have to invest too many levels for it to really pay off (5 levels for Skirmish +2d6 damage/+1 AC, so you could qualify for Improved Skirmish.) Maybe.. Master Thrower, if you can wedge in the feats needed to qualify? Just 1 level would get you Palm Throw, which would let you throw either 3 or 4 Shuriken/attack depending on how Art of the Deadly Gale is supposed to work (specifically, is it 2 weapons with one attack roll already, or 2 attack rolls made at the same time.) The ability to punch people in the face with a fistful of shuriken at a 50-foot range increment seems like a worthwhile investment of a level to me.

Keld Denar
2010-11-01, 09:37 PM
Claw damage can be obtained via Shape Soulmeld: Claws of the Wyrm (you'll need the dragonblood subtype) or some other means.

See also...TROLL! Last time I checked, trolls have claws...

Speaking of troll claws and incarnum, Shape Soulmeld (Girallon Arms) + Open Lesser Chakra (Arms) nets you ANOTHER rend attack. Because rending once is never enough...

EDIT: Heck, Totemist2 would be a GREAT way to spend those last 2 levels.

Coidzor
2010-11-02, 01:12 AM
See also...TROLL! Last time I checked, trolls have claws...

This is why using gloves instead of a necklace of natural attacks was your DM robbing you.

Although, there is a feat that'll allow you to add your claw damage to your unarmed strike called Beast Strike.

monkman
2010-11-02, 04:00 PM
This is why using gloves instead of a necklace of natural attacks was your DM robbing you.

Although, there is a feat that'll allow you to add your claw damage to your unarmed strike called Beast Strike.

Where?? I NEED TO KNOW!:smalltongue:

The Shadowmind
2010-11-02, 04:05 PM
Where?? I NEED TO KNOW!:smalltongue:

Dragon #355.