PDA

View Full Version : Rules question.

Master Thrower
2010-11-01, 08:47 PM
What happens if I make a trip attempt using a spiked chain that is a clouting weapon? (+ 3 bonus, upon a hit the target must make a DC 19 fortitude save or be pushed back 10 feet, and then make another or be stunned for 1 round.)

Diarmuid
2010-11-01, 08:50 PM
You are not making an "attack" with the weapon when starting a trip attempt.

Keld Denar
2010-11-01, 08:50 PM
Assuming the weapon has to deal damage to take its effect, nothing. If it only relies on a hit, then the target would be prone, stunned, and 10' away from you, assuming it failed all checks and saves.

Master Thrower
2010-11-01, 08:55 PM
ok thanks.

Jornophelanthas
2010-11-02, 12:44 PM
You are not making an "attack" with the weapon when starting a trip attempt.

Yes, you do. You need to make an attack against touch AC first, followed by an opposed ability check.

Diarmuid
2010-11-02, 12:53 PM
Yes, you do. You need to make an attack against touch AC first, followed by an opposed ability check.

Tripping with a Weapon: Some weapons can be used to make trip attacks. In this case, you make a melee touch attack with the weapon instead of an unarmed melee touch attack, and you don’t provoke an attack of opportunity. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the weapon to avoid being tripped.

Trip then goes on say what happens if your attack "succeeds" or does not "succeed"

Clouting reads "...On a successful hit blah blah blah."

The point in question is whether a successful melee touch attack constitutes a Hit with the weapon in question.

I dont see anything RAW that clearly defines either so it's open to interpretation. For me, a hit involves rolling damage and after the successful melee touch attack you are not rolling damage so I would say the Clouting ability is not triggered as part of the trip mechanic.

I will fully admit that is my opinion/interpretation.