PDA

View Full Version : Walker in the Waste problem[3.5]

Lucid
2010-11-01, 10:08 PM
Please correct me if I am wrong(and I hope I am), but it seems to me that a Cleric 5/Walker in the Waste 10, the same as the example dry lich, cannot exist.
The problem comes with the canopic jars you must craft for the rite to become a dry lich. The jars have CL14 as a requirement, and without Practiced Spellcaster or other tricks to enhance CL you'll only have CL13. And the sample dry lich also lacks Craft Wondrous Item so he couldn't have crafted the jars.
Is this just Wizards screwing up again or am I overlooking something?

druid91
2010-11-01, 10:11 PM
Please correct me if I am wrong(and I hope I am), but it seems to me that a Cleric 5/Walker in the Waste 10, the same as the example dry lich, cannot exist.
The problem comes with the canopic jars you must craft for the rite to become a dry lich. The jars have CL14 as a requirement, and without Practiced Spellcaster or other tricks to enhance CL you'll only have CL13. And the sample dry lich also lacks Craft Wondrous Item so he couldn't have crafted the jars.
Is this just Wizards screwing up again or am I overlooking something?

You have a high level NPC to help you as a requirement of that part of the class.

Lucid
2010-11-01, 10:33 PM
You have a high level NPC to help you as a requirement of that part of the class.Are there any rules about assisting others with creating magic items?
The text about the rite states you must craft the jars yourself, the participation of another dry lich is because they're the only ones that have full knowledge of the rite.

druid91
2010-11-01, 10:39 PM
No clue. But you craft the jars, skill checks aren't that hard. The lich then enchants the jars, and stuffs your organs in it I guess.

Lucid
2010-11-01, 11:05 PM
I guess that would be possible, I just assumed you also had to enchant them yourself.
I think the best solution would be to take CWI and another level of cleric first, since you'd have to pay full price for the jars otherwise. Thanks for the replies.

Akal Saris
2010-11-01, 11:06 PM
You could also simply house-rule that somebody who has taken levels in the PrC can ignore that requirement.

Dry Lich is poorly written anyhow. It's not clear if WitW has to accept a +4 LA after taking the template, or if he gets it for "free" in return for 10 levels of a PrC. Same problem the Dragon Disciple faces, actually.

Likewise Sand Golem requires CL 14 to create, yet even if you entered WiTW at 5th level rather than 3rd, you'd still be CL 11 when you gained the ability to create them.

And Salt Mummy - you gain the ability to create them, but do you require Animate Dead or a similar spell to do so (replacing normal mummies with an upgraded version), or is it simply a standard action with a Su ability?

Psyren
2010-11-01, 11:18 PM
I would err on the side of WotC screwing up another sample PC myself.

A bit tangential to the thread, Lucid, but I can't tell if your Supes avatar is high or just gay and flirting.

Claudius Maximus
2010-11-01, 11:28 PM
Just going to note that Practiced Spellcaster can't actually boost your CL over your level.

Dark_Nohn
2010-11-01, 11:44 PM
Dry Lich is poorly written anyhow. It's not clear if WitW has to accept a +4 LA after taking the template, or if he gets it for "free" in return for 10 levels of a PrC. Same problem the Dragon Disciple faces, actually.

I'm pretty sure it's "free" as all of the transformational classes consider the level adjustment into what you get over the levels you take it at. I can't remember if it said it in the Dragon Disciple or if it's something from the Sages, or the DMG errata booklet I had.

Lucid
2010-11-01, 11:47 PM
You could also simply house-rule that somebody who has taken levels in the PrC can ignore that requirement.

Likewise Sand Golem requires CL 14 to create, yet even if you entered WiTW at 5th level rather than 3rd, you'd still be CL 11 when you gained the ability to create them.

And Salt Mummy - you gain the ability to create them, but do you require Animate Dead or a similar spell to do so (replacing normal mummies with an upgraded version), or is it simply a standard action with a Su ability?
Damn, I hadn't even considered these problems. Apart from the LA, which is +5 actually, we house-ruled that it doesn't apply since you already have to pay for the rite. Still begs the question why there even is a LA listed.

The Sand Golem seems really screwed up after looking at it closer. The class mentions you don't need the Craft Construct Golem feat.:smallconfused: Then the text for the Golem itself mentions only walkers in the waste know how to create them, negating the need for Craft Construct completely, and lists a spell (Fuse Sand) which isn't on the clerics spell list.:smallfurious:

Just going to note that Practiced Spellcaster can't actually boost your CL over your level. I am aware of that, but you lose two CL from the Prc.

A bit tangential to the thread, Lucid, but I can't tell if your Supes avatar is high or just gay and flirting. I guess you could say that he's high (http://blog.newsarama.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/allstarsuperman.jpg):smallcool: (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IncrediblyLamePun)