PDA

View Full Version : D&D for Dummies

Tinkee
2010-11-01, 10:24 PM
Hey guys... Im fairly new to the whole D&D scence, Ive read through posts but Its all pretty greek to me... stats, what things like 2d10 mean, etc etc. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a site that could explain D&D from the ground up. Id really like to get involved in some of the forum games and maybe start/join a little D&D circle here. Any help/advice is welcome! Thanks!

Starscream
2010-11-01, 10:28 PM
2d10 = Roll 2 ten sided dice and add the results.

Wikihow has some okay stuff. Here (http://www.wikihow.com/Play-Dungeons-and-Dragons) for example. But the best way to learn is simply to watch others. Find someone who plays (or just a video of them playing online), and observe.

Cealocanth
2010-11-01, 10:32 PM
Has anyone suggested reading one of many Player's Handbooks from cover to cover? Head down to your local gaming store and look one over, if nothing else, it'll help.

I suggest 4e for easiness to learn for beginners, but there is a massive amount that wouldn't.

Savannah
2010-11-02, 03:50 AM
Reading the Player's Handbook is probably the best way. You can read most of it on the SRD here (http://www.d20srd.org/), but the arrangement isn't as intuitive. You're also free to PM me with questions :smalltongue:

Lord Herman
2010-11-02, 03:53 AM
Or you could read Dungeons and Dragons for Dummies (http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Dummies-Bill-Slavicsek/dp/0470292903/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b) :smallbiggrin:

averagejoe
2010-11-02, 04:00 AM
The Mod They Call Me: This belongs in roleplaying games.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-11-02, 04:06 AM
You're also free to PM me with questions :smalltongue:

Indeed, people are the best source for this. If you really prefer to learn from books, at the very least an experienced player can point you towards the right sections and save you search time.

Maethirion
2010-11-02, 04:12 AM
I'll second the Dungeons and Dragons for Dummies book. It's a very well written, well set out book that covers all the basics.

Alternatively, I've seen a few Play by Posts on the forum which cater to people completely new to the game - it might be worth having a look there to see if there are any at the moment.

Tinkee
2010-11-02, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the link Savannah, that has a lot of good info! Ill be reading up on this for a while and I think ill look into ordering the DnD for dummies book on amazon when I finish =) And I'll prolly take you up on the PM's if I can find a newbie DnD play n post

Savannah
2010-11-02, 04:44 AM
If you're buying books, I strongly recommend the Player's Handbook. I've never read the D&D for Dummies book, but the PH is the main rulebook and for Dummies is not a core book. And don't worry about bugging me, I've literally walked people through each step of building a character.

Tinkee
2010-11-02, 04:49 AM
Will the PH walk me through character creation? Im kinda confused as to how to determine how many points are allowed when making a character.. is that determined by the DM or is there like a rule? ( I guess i really do need the PH :smalltongue: ) sorry for such silly questions!

SensFan
2010-11-02, 05:34 AM
If you're buying books, I strongly recommend the Player's Handbook. I've never read the D&D for Dummies book, but the PH is the main rulebook and for Dummies is not a core book. And don't worry about bugging me, I've literally walked people through each step of building a character.
D&D For Dummies is a much easier way of learning the rules than reading the PHB, though I would still buy the PHB.

Diarmuid
2010-11-02, 09:53 AM
Will the PH walk me through character creation? Im kinda confused as to how to determine how many points are allowed when making a character.. is that determined by the DM or is there like a rule? ( I guess i really do need the PH :smalltongue: ) sorry for such silly questions!

The PHB explains many different options for character creation and should prepare you for whichever one the DM is using for his/her game (unless they have some homebrewed rules which can happen)

PHB covers rolling dice for stats, point buy, and I think even static allotment. It goes on to explain what each stat represents and gives some pointers on which classes benefit from them the most.

In short, yes...the PHB will walk you through creating a character.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-11-02, 03:55 PM
This is already a book. (One that I bought 4 years ago.) Seriously, Google it.

Lhurgyof
2010-11-03, 07:58 AM
Umm, are you planning on playing 3.5th edition D&D or 4th edition D&D?

Psyren
2010-11-03, 08:03 AM
If it's 3.x, Neverwinter Nights is a great way to learn the basics at your own pace in a risk-free environment.

If it's 4e, Neverwinter is coming out soon and that will use the updated rules.

Strife Warzeal
2010-11-03, 08:04 AM
If you want to learn by playing (3.5 specifically) on Myth-Weavers.com there is a DnD play by post going on that is always accepting new members. I can hand a link to the thread if you want. Though, as a warning, it is sorta disorganized.

Ravens_cry
2010-11-03, 08:17 AM
Go check out your local gaming store and ask around. That's how I got into the game and I haven't looked back.

dsmiles
2010-11-03, 08:21 AM
In short, yes...the PHB will walk you through creating a character.

Albeit in a rather convoluted manner. Talk to other players and DMs. There are simpler methods than following the PHB step-by-step.

Starbuck_II
2010-11-03, 09:11 AM
If it's 3.x, Neverwinter Nights is a great way to learn the basics at your own pace in a risk-free environment.

If it's 4e, Neverwinter is coming out soon and that will use the updated rules.

Although, the game changes many things. Also NWN was 3.0.
NWN 2 was 3.5, but still not every thing was correct.

I loved the change to tumble adding a dodge bonus though.

D&D for dummies book even has some adventures that aren't too bad.

Psyren
2010-11-03, 09:15 AM
Although, the game changes many things. Also NWN was 3.0.
NWN 2 was 3.5, but still not every thing was correct.

I know that - I said 3.x for a reason :smalltongue:

And sure it's not 100% accurate, but it's still useful for playing D&D without a group.

Salanmander
2010-11-03, 03:25 PM
I know that - I said 3.x for a reason :smalltongue:

And sure it's not 100% accurate, but it's still useful for playing D&D without a group.

Agreed. Things don't need to be 100% the same in order to get a basic familiarity. Before I started playing 3.5 my most up-to-date D&D exposure was Baldur's Gate 2, and I stepped into a spellcaster character without too much trouble.