PDA

View Full Version : Just bought ToB!!

faceroll
2010-11-02, 01:18 AM
So I just purchased ToB on ebay, should show up in the next couple weeks.

What's a really solid build for a level 5-10 character that is the consummate warrior, but also a strategist and general? I'm thinking Warblade, but don't really know what maneuver trees are good. Diamond Mind seems key to survival, and White Raven Tactics looks baller for a big party of meleers.

What feats are good? Knockdown seems like it'd be a good carrier effect on maneuvers, since you can trip while you initiate one, right?

WhiteShark
2010-11-02, 01:48 AM
You should have a look at the Tome of Battle for Dummies (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=rp8353qufffkn0cc9bdqas9pq5&topic=357.0), it's a great guide. Warblade 5-10 is very solid; even Warblade 20 is viable.

I think the most important feat in ToB for a Warblade is Stormguard Warrior. It's second function is absolutely amazing.

Cainen
2010-11-02, 01:53 AM
White Raven for the tactical aspect with primarily Iron Heart and other school maneuvers as you see fit for the fighting aspect.

It's really, really hard to mess up a Warblade thanks to all of their schools being good.

AslanCross
2010-11-02, 01:55 AM
What's a really solid build for a level 5-10 character that is the consummate warrior, but also a strategist and general? I'm thinking Warblade, but don't really know what maneuver trees are good. Diamond Mind seems key to survival, and White Raven Tactics looks baller for a big party of meleers.

Either the warblade or crusader can make good strategists with White Raven (Crusader moreso because Devoted Spirit also helps a lot in that regard), but Warblade can reliably use maneuvers more often and is a better striker, while Crusader gets more maneuvers and can tank better.

Iron Heart is the unique Warblade school and works best toward what you want to get. Diamond Mind is IMO the best school all around. White Raven is going to be your commander suite. You can easily have all three on a Warblade build.

What feats are good? Knockdown seems like it'd be a good carrier effect on maneuvers, since you can trip while you initiate one, right?

Depends on your weapon, but Power Attack works great with the Diamond Mind maneuvers due to their damage multiplication. Power Attack + Emerald Razor is another simple but elegant combo.

Unfortunately, the ToB specifically states that you cannot combine special attacks (grapple, charge, disarm, trip) with maneuvers unless the maneuver specifically calls for it. Knock-down, however, may be a special case.

A regular trip attempt will not work with maneuvers, because it replaces the attack. Knock-down, however, gives a free trip attempt if you hit, so I think that can work.

Keld Denar
2010-11-02, 02:32 AM
Yea, Knockdown would work, since its a trigger on a successful hit. Knockback is also VERY fun if you are a Goliath or Half Giant (Goliath is better if you are non-psionic). You can get some REAL distance with a full PA Emerald Razor punt since you gain 2x your PA penalty as a bonus on your bullrush with Knockback. PA for 5 means +10 on your check which is +10' of airtime when you land the blow.

If you do go for Knockback, consider Warblade1/Fighter2/Warblade+2. This puts you a half a level behind on getting new manevuers, but it allows you to pick up Dungeoncrasher I which synergizes hillariously with Knockback. It also pushes back your 2nd stance 2 levels, but you'll have an IL of 5 exactly when you take it which opens up 3rd level stances. Straight Warblades typically have 2 first level stances, so this is actually kinda an improvement.