PDA

View Full Version : Anitmagic field questions

Parra
2010-11-02, 08:10 AM
I have a couple of questions regarding Antimagic Field namely:

1. What happens if you teleport into an Antimagic field?
Do you: Appear safetly inside it, appear safetly at its edge, or remain somewhere 'outside existance' until the Antimagic Field no longer effects the area you tried to teleport to.

2. What effect does it have on an Emination effect that orginates inside the Antimagic field but whose effects extend beyond its range?
For example: the spell 'Repulsion' centered in the same area as Antimagic Field.
Does it: cease to take effect as the point it eminates from is within the Antimage Field or does the Antimagic Field create a 'bubble' in the center with the Repulsion working fine outside that area.

3. Can you cast spells from within an Antimagic Field? i.e. lob a fireball out
3b. Can you cast spells from wthin an Antimagic Field into the same Antimagic Field and leave their effects suppressed until the Antimagic Field ends? (essentially making mines)

4. Are spell durations temporarily halted while fully suppressed by an Antimagic Field?

Any help with these by either RAW, RAI or other potential interpretations is much appriciated

Emmerask
2010-11-02, 08:36 AM
I have a couple of questions regarding Antimagic Field namely:

1. What happens if you teleport into an Antimagic field?
Do you: Appear safetly inside it, appear safetly at its edge, or remain somewhere 'outside existance' until the Antimagic Field no longer effects the area you tried to teleport to.

This one the dm must decide, there is no definitive answer.

2. What effect does it have on an Emination effect that orginates inside the Antimagic field but whose effects extend beyond its range?
For example: the spell 'Repulsion' centered in the same area as Antimagic Field.
Does it: cease to take effect as the point it eminates from is within the Antimage Field or does the Antimagic Field create a 'bubble' in the center with the Repulsion working fine outside that area.

the emanation, if its magic is completely suppressed if its origins are inside the amf, so no bubble.

3. Can you cast spells from within an Antimagic Field? i.e. lob a fireball out
3b. Can you cast spells from wthin an Antimagic Field into the same Antimagic Field and leave their effects suppressed until the Antimagic Field ends? (essentially making mines)

3: No you canīt, magic is completely suppressed (there are 2 prcs that allow ignoring amfs however)
b: you canīt cast any magic whatsoever.

4. Are spell durations temporarily halted while fully suppressed by an Antimagic Field?

the time they are suppressed by the amf counts for the purpose of the duration.

Parra
2010-11-02, 09:29 AM
Re: teleporting into Antimagic Field. I am the DM in this case, but Im kinda stumped as to how to handle it. Im inclined to think the persone is held mid-teleport until the AMF ends, but im not sure if thats being fair.

As for casting while inside an AMF the line in the spell discription that got my attention was

An antimagic field suppresses any spell of magical effect used with, brought into, or cast into the area, but does not dispel it
This inclines me to believe that you can cast, say a Stoneskin while within an AMF but it will do nothing for you until you leave the AMF.

also just noticed the 'spell durations continue' part in AMF's description, dunno how I missed it

ericgrau
2010-11-02, 09:36 AM
1. Teleporting involves entering the astral plane and then coming back to the material plane in another location. At first you might assume that you're stuck in the astral plane. But I'd say you're not able to open up a rift in the antimagic field at all and instead are forced to open it nearby. I'd make it shunt to the nearest non-AMF square and do damage like trying to teleport into a wall. I mean I don't think a teleport is strong enough to mimic an astral projection or plane shift (higher level spells) and hold you in the astral plane; you have to come out somewhere. Or at the very least the path would be unstable and you couldn't enter the astral plane to begin with. The fluff for dimension door in particular would create an entrance with no exit, so you'd be unable to go in. So in short while there is no clear rule, IMO you should either shunt and take damage or you don't teleport at all.

2-4. Agreed with above.

Parra
2010-11-02, 10:28 AM
Problem with the "telport moves you via the astral idea" is that no where in teleport, greater teleport, teleport circle or Dimension door does it mention the travel is via the astral (though im pretty sure it was in 2nd ed, or maybe just planescape). Teleport Object on the other hand shifts stuff to the etheral, which goes againts the idea that teleports work via the astral.

I suppose shunting, per dimension door, is the simpler option but then teleports off-target result is a little larger and I would be inclined to follow each spells error result

Feliks878
2010-11-02, 10:44 AM
It would be interesting if the teleport freaked out and auto defaulted to "Mishap" or "False Destination" in this case. If you read false destination it may be within the realm of thought that it would work similarly.

ericgrau
2010-11-02, 10:47 AM
Problem with the "telport moves you via the astral idea" is that no where in teleport, greater teleport, teleport circle or Dimension door does it mention the travel is via the astral (though im pretty sure it was in 2nd ed, or maybe just planescape). Teleport Object on the other hand shifts stuff to the etheral, which goes againts the idea that teleports work via the astral.

It's in the general rules for all teleportation spells, under Magic Overview:

Teleportation is instantaneous travel through the Astral Plane. Anything that blocks astral travel also blocks teleportation.

Also the reason why dimensional anchor blocks teleportation.

Lev
2010-11-02, 10:57 AM
Note that the feat Extraordinary Spell Aim will allow you to include whatever you want in the field and disclude things you don't want, like you could disclude yourself as being included in the antimagic field, magic weapons, clear a path for a fireball, ect.

Emmerask
2010-11-02, 11:04 AM
Note that the feat Extraordinary Spell Aim will allow you to include whatever you want in the field and disclude things you don't want, like you could disclude yourself as being included in the antimagic field, magic weapons, clear a path for a fireball, ect.

Note however that this is very much subject to reasonable dmīs approval excluding the emanation origin does not fly well with many dms :smallwink:

And you lose most of the amfs protecting effects

Silus
2010-11-02, 11:06 AM
Sorry to sorta-hyjack your thread, but quick question regarding the Antimagic field:

Does it hedge out psionics as well, or is that a house rule?

ericgrau
2010-11-02, 11:06 AM
Ya since it only suppresses spells, spells can pass through the AMF and reappear right where you are.

If using magic-psionics transparency (the default) then AMF blocks psionics too. Otherwise no.

Emmerask
2010-11-02, 11:11 AM
Sorry to sorta-hyjack your thread, but quick question regarding the Antimagic field:

Does it hedge out psionics as well, or is that a house rule?

/edit ninjaīd

If you play with psionic - magic transparency then yes it does suppress powers as well, if you donīt play with it then not.

The srd only suggests that you can play with transparency so neither way is a house rule or both are ^^

ericgrau
2010-11-02, 11:18 AM
Right on the top of the section:

The default rule for the interaction of psionics and magic is simple: Powers interact with spells and spells interact with powers in the same way a spell or normal spell-like ability interacts with another spell or spell-like ability. This is known as psionics-magic transparency.

And thank god. Without transparency spells that interact with magic become half as effective. Or if either magic or psionics is rare, it gets worse. People are less likely to prepare spells/powers that interact with spells/powers which makes them nigh unstoppable or at least much harder to stop. Magic/powers should not have that boost. It's annoying enough already that you can't cast the all time classic-since-2e magic stopper, silence, on psions.