PDA

View Full Version : Weaponlike spells question [3.5]

WinceRind
2010-11-02, 03:44 PM
Hi there.

I'm planning to make an arcane trickster in my next campaign, and I'm very much a newb in regards to less obvious spell mechanics.

So I was wondering... I know that you can do sneak attacks with weapon-like spells and that the sneak attack generally has the same damage type as the spell...

But what if the spell was maximized? Would I get highest variable for both the spell damage and the sneak attack damage? Or would it only affect the spell itself and ignore the sneak attack damage? I didn't find any rules on this in the books that I own.

Thanks.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-11-02, 03:48 PM
Hi there.

I'm planning to make an arcane trickster in my next campaign, and I'm very much a newb in regards to less obvious spell mechanics.

So I was wondering... I know that you can do sneak attacks with weapon-like spells and that the sneak attack generally has the same damage type as the spell...

But what if the spell was maximized? Would I get highest variable for both the spell damage and the sneak attack damage? Or would it only affect the spell itself and ignore the sneak attack damage? I didn't find any rules on this in the books that I own.

Thanks.
It would only apply to the spell.

Metamagic feats don't apply to extra damage.

FuryOfMetal
2010-11-02, 03:50 PM
You can sneak attack with weapon like spells and pretty much any spell you make an attack with (such as ray of X). All of these spells requiring an attack roll let you add sneak attack whenever you could normally get sneak attack, such as if they're flat footed.

Maximising the spell would not maximise the sneak attack dice, also you still get to add your sneak attack if that's what you were asking.

WinceRind
2010-11-02, 03:50 PM
It would only apply to the spell.

Metamagic feats don't apply to extra damage.

Okay, thanks.

Keld Denar
2010-11-02, 04:44 PM
You can sneak attack with weapon like spells and pretty much any spell you make an attack with (such as ray of X). All of these spells requiring an attack roll

This, while right, is not complete. A weaponlike spell has to both have an attack roll AND deal some kind of damage. HP damage or ability damage, doesn't matter; negative levels explicitly count as damage even though they technically aren't. The damage is of the same type as the attack that made it (so Scorching Ray SA dice would be fire damage, not physical damage). If the spell does ability damage or assigns negative levels, the bonus damage is considered negative energy damage. You DON'T get to add your SA damage as ability damage or additional negative levels.

You can sneak attack with Enervation. You can't sneak attack with Ray of Enfeeblement or Ray of Exhaustion. Even though they both have attack rolls, they inflict penalties or conditions, rather than damage.