PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Rapidshot/Manyshot questions

Snarfmite
2010-11-02, 03:57 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but Rapid Shot and Many shot are confusing me:

Rapid shot:
You can get one extra attack per round with a ranged weapon. The attack is at your highest base attack bonus, but each attack you make in that round (the extra one and the normal ones) takes a –2 penalty. You must use the full attack action to use this feat.

Manyshot:
As a standard action, you may fire two arrows at a single opponent within 30 feet. Both arrows use the same attack roll (with a –4 penalty) to determine success and deal damage normally.

So basically, Manyshot allows you to shoot two arrows at someone at -4, rapid shot allows you two arrows at -2. Only difference is that you can't move with Rapid shot? There's no way that these stack or interact, right? Either you move and make 2 attacks at -4, or don't move and shoot 2 at -2?

A 6th level ranger who has chosen archery could also just shoot 1 arrow at highest BAB and one arrow at lower BAB, correct (as a full-round action). So, no matter what he does in a round, a 6th-level ranger shouldn't be shooting off more than 2 arrows in a round, correct?

BRC
2010-11-02, 03:59 PM
Rapidshot gets you an extra attack. That Sixth level ranger with an attack bonus of, lets say, 10 (6 BAB, 3 Dex, +1 weapon) could make a full attack at +10/+5, or a Rapid Shot at +8/+8/+3.

Tael
2010-11-02, 03:59 PM
With rapid shot you could shoot 3 arrows, 2 at BAB -2 from rapid shot, and one at BAB -7 from normal iterative attacks.

AtwasAwamps
2010-11-02, 04:02 PM
Rapidshot gives you an extra attack, much like TWF, which can only be used during a full attack. Thus, your level six ranger using rapidshot gets 3 attacks at 4/4/-1 instead of two attacks at 6/1.

Manyshot gives you an additional attack to your standard attack at a -4 to both attacks. So that same ranger can move, and then fire two arrows at 2/2 instead of firing one arrow at 6. Manyshot also gets the ability to make additional shots as part of that standard action once you get high enough BAB. For example, at 11 BAB, a ranger may use Manyshot to shoot three arrows as a standard action at 5/5/5. That same ranger, though, could use a full-round action to full attack with rapid-shot for 9/9/4/-1.

My math may be off, but I believe that's the gist of it.

ericgrau
2010-11-02, 04:05 PM
So basically, Manyshot allows you to shoot two arrows at someone at -4, rapid shot allows you two arrows at -2. Only difference is that you can't move with Rapid shot? There's no way that these stack or interact, right? Either you move and make 2 attacks at -4, or don't move and shoot 2 at -2?

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.

A 6th level ranger who has chosen archery could also just shoot 1 arrow at highest BAB and one arrow at lower BAB, correct (as a full-round action). So, no matter what he does in a round, a 6th-level ranger shouldn't be shooting off more than 2 arrows in a round, correct?
Rapid shot gives him an additional attack during full attacks, putting him at 3 arrows, effectively at 4/4/-1 BAB (including the -2). With manyshot he could instead fire 2 arrows as a standard action, effectively at 2 BAB (including the -4).

Susano-wo
2010-11-02, 04:14 PM
aside from the total attacks thing, you are correct. Basically, rapidshot is for full attacking, manyshot gives you more damage on the run.
Manyshot is also one attack, meaning you only have to/get to roll once. good for X bonus on the next attack, bad for getting in at least 1 hit, on that odd chance that you roll crappy on it (though note that DR and resistances apply to each arrow)

Oh and you can't target multiple enemies with manyshot, and they have to be within 30ft :smallbiggrin:

DarkEternal
2010-11-02, 04:55 PM
What if you crit with many shot(roll a natural 20 on to hit and confirm it)?. Do all many shot arrows deal automatic criticals(if I remember, Many shot gets more and more arrows per turn as you grow in level or something).

Susano-wo
2010-11-02, 04:56 PM
That woud be my interpretation. one attack roll means one crit confirm.