PDA

View Full Version : I prefer board smilies

Roc Ness
2010-11-03, 03:35 AM
I like the smilies on this board far more than the ones you'd get in Instant Messaging stuff. So, that having been said, my question(s) is(are): Am I allowed to use the smilies from this board on the Instant Messaging program I use (MSN)? And if I can, how would I go about doing that?

NerfTW
2010-11-03, 11:51 AM
Given that those are only seen on your own computer, there's no issue at all. It would be like saving the comic to your hard drive, or making a wallpaper for personal use.

But I don't know how to add them. Google it. V bulletin isn't exclusive to this site or anything, and these smiles are the generic classic smiles, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a simple smiley set already included in whatever IM program you're talking about.

Also, you'd have to tell people what IM program you're using before anyone could offer help on it.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-11-03, 05:26 PM
To add smilies to MSN, save the picture you want to use as a smilie. Click the emoticon menu and then there should be an option "Show all..." Click that, and then there should be "Create". Then choose the picture you want to use and set a shortcut, and you're good to go.

SensFan
2010-11-03, 11:22 PM
Given that those are only seen on your own computer, there's no issue at all. It would be like saving the comic to your hard drive, or making a wallpaper for personal use.
Not quite. MSN at least sends the sender's emoticon to the receiver. So if I set ":)" to show :smallsmile: and you set it to show :smallbiggrin:, then if we have a conversation, whenever you 'smile' we both see :smallbiggrin:, while if I'm the one smiling we both see :smallsmile:.

The more you know!

Roc Ness
2010-11-04, 12:15 AM
Not quite. MSN at least sends the sender's emoticon to the receiver. So if I set ":)" to show :smallsmile: and you set it to show :smallbiggrin:, then if we have a conversation, whenever you 'smile' we both see :smallbiggrin:, while if I'm the one smiling we both see :smallsmile:.

The more you know!

Exactly that, too, which is where I'm not sure if there is a problem or not.

Zherog
2010-11-04, 09:06 AM
But I don't know how to add them. Google it. V bulletin isn't exclusive to this site or anything, and these smiles are the generic classic smiles, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a simple smiley set already included in whatever IM program you're talking about.

I'm fairly certain Rich created the smilies in use here, actually.

Zeofar
2010-11-05, 01:10 PM
I'm fairly certain Rich created the smilies in use here, actually.

Given that all of the smileys use OotS stock expressions, I thought that was fairly obvious, myself. Shows what I know.

That said, I wouldn't hold my breath for an official response, especially not a positive one. This gets into the area of copyright issues, which Rich is rather wary about (and rightly so). He isn't about to give permission to anyone to use his work offsite offhand-like (give 'em an inch and all that), but I don't think he'll be suing anyone for using his smileys on an instant messaging program.

To be honest, though, I think that this would really be considered to have the same rules as the OotS-style avatars that he makes available for all users (Don't alter them or use them anywhere else without permission). You also have to keep in mind that it is trivial to get a hold of a smiley that someone sends you (MSN even allows you to do this and reappropriate it for your own use with just a few clicks), and anyone who does so may not be aware of the rules regarding their use or the identity of their creator. Hypothetically, they could be spread across half the internet in this manner.

I'd recommend that you don't do it simply as a matter of common courtesy since you can't control what happens to them, but I'm pretty sure it's right there in the board rules anyhow.

Roc Ness
2010-11-05, 09:17 PM
I'd recommend that you don't do it simply as a matter of common courtesy since you can't control what happens to them, but I'm pretty sure it's right there in the board rules anyhow.

I guess that's right. Shame, I like these smilies. More expressive than them weird yellow ones. :smallfrown:

Elfin
2010-11-13, 02:44 PM
Yea. They're great smilies, but it's probably safer to steer away from that particular cliff.

Zanaril
2010-11-13, 06:18 PM
Yea. They're great smilies, but it's probably safer to steer away from that particular cliff.

This isn't a cliff. This is a tiny incline that you're fretting over unnecessarily.
I'd say if you want to use them for personal use, just use them. My opinion only.

Alternatively, if you can't live with yourself knowing that you might have possibly done something Bad, then don't.

Boo
2010-11-13, 06:27 PM
Hm. Funny. I see people use them semi-often when conversing via an IM.

Given the individual look of each smiley as compared to regular IM smileys and such, wouldn't they act as subtle ads for Mr. Burlew? Potentially, people could ask "what is that?" and they may be directed to the website, which may be followed by their joining the fandom.

There is no sensible danger in using these smileys on an IM.

Zanaril
2010-11-13, 06:30 PM
Given the individual look of each smiley as compared to regular IM smileys and such, wouldn't they act as subtle ads for Mr. Burlew? Potentially, people could ask "what is that?" and they may be directed to the website, which may be followed by their joining the fandom.

Rich has shot down that argument by saying that he makes no money from people just reading the comic, only from people buying stuff from him.

In fact, you are COSTING HIM MONEY by posting on his forums.

AstralFire
2010-11-13, 07:39 PM
Rich has shot down that argument by saying that he makes no money from people just reading the comic, only from people buying stuff from him.

Yeah.

Advertising also costs money.

Boo
2010-11-13, 09:05 PM

I was not specific on the details (what they may do as a fan), but I suppose I should have included this: "If they join the fandom, then they may buy Mr. Burlew's products." I never once said that they would read the comic. You don't have to like the work* to like the merch. Hm, I quite like that sentence.

We are costing him money. It is not just me; but you already knew that. I felt like being a jerk after reading that. Please excuse me.

I do have the notion that he makes more money because of the message board community--the people who gather to and around it. Again: it is just a notion, so there is no need to discuss it.

Yeah.

Advertising also costs money.

Word of mouth advertising costs nothing (usually).

EDIT:

*: comic

Roland St. Jude
2010-11-13, 10:57 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Rich's position on use of his art in other locations (which includes the custom smilies) is abundantly clear: please don't. His work falls under several types of intellectual property protection laws, many of which are recognized internationally.

"It's free advertising" is pretty much never an acceptable defense to infringement or unauthorized use of someone's intellectual property. "It's not causing any harm" and "I see others using it similarly" are similarly unavailing except in a very narrow set of circumstances.

The number of forum accounts (even inactive ones) is dwarfed by the number of comic visitors. As for whether the forum provides any net benefit, that's Rich's business and best not speculated on here.