PDA

View Full Version : A life of quiet contempation...[3.5 Race PEACH]]

AustontheGreat1
2010-11-03, 03:45 AM
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs47/f/2009/201/6/7/Oroonoko__the_Gate_Keeper_by_bloodhound_omega.jpg

O’naroo
The O’naroo are a old and peaceful race who inhabit lush forests rich in bug life. Though they lack neither the intelligence nor the means, the O’naroo lack the progressive mindset which drives them to build larger more industrious communities. They prefer to live in untouched, secluded forests in simple wooden huts of sticks and wood.

Physical Description
The O’naroo resemble large humanoid anteaters. They have long narrow heads with long, thin prehensile tongues for feeding on hidden insects. Most O’naroo are relatively short, standing no more than four and a half to five feet tall. They are covered with thick shaggy fur of various colors of gray, white, black, and brown. Their arms are long, usually twice the length of their legs or slightly longer, and tipped with three to four inch claws. The O’naroo have weak vision and rely primarily on their keen senses of smell to navigate and interact.

Personality
Though reclusive, O’naroo are generally kind and generous. Most O’aroo tent to be quiet and soft spoken, preferring quiet contemplation to pointless chatter. Though several warriors are present in their communities, the O’naroo abhor conflict and it is difficult to drive one into an argument and near impossible to make them angry. They tend to be slow to action and can spend several days considering seemingly simple questions. Most people, the few who have ever met an O’naroo, tend to find them boring.

Relations
O’naroo sometimes relate with forest-dwelling elves and other civilized and peaceful races. Trading when necessary, or sometimes negotiating with nearby humans on matters involving shared forests. They can be quite open to the occasional visitor and will be very hospitable thought they prefer to be left in peace.

Alignment
It is a spiritual ritual in the O’naroo culture that upon the year the O’naroo reaches maturity, they must undergo a ceremony involving seven days of uninterrupted contemplation. The purpose of this ritual is to give the young O’naroo opportunity to discover themselves and find what type of person he will be. Most O’naroo are neutral good. Few are truly evil and even fewer are chaotic.

Religion
The O’naroo are a very spiritual people who seek guidance from various good aligned nature gods or most often do not pray to any god and simply revere nature itself.

Racial Traits
• +2 Wis, -2 Dex; O’naroo are contemplative and insightful. Not necessarily clumbsy, their movements are slow and cautious.
• Medium Size
• 20ft. land; 10ft. Climb
• O’naroo possess two natural claw attacks which deal 1d4 damage each.
• Scent
• Due to their acute sense of smell, O’naroo have blindsense out to 30ft.
• Racial Skills: O’naroo feed by meticulously searching for hidden insects. They have +4 racial bonus to search checks. The O’naroo have weak eyes and receive a -4 penalty to spot checks. Lastly, They have +8 racial bonus to climb checks can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Sylvan; Bonus Languages: Elven, Giant, Gnoll.
• Favored Class- Druid
• LA +0

Simple homebrew race. Nothing special, just some practice I guess. Actually seems pretty strong for LA 0. You be the judge.

DracoDei
2010-11-03, 05:10 PM
I have a friend who would love this... unfortunately he is irrationally terrified of me right now, so I can't share it with him.

I might give them +2 racial to Open Lock and Disable Device and maybe a few other things, on the theory that there slow and careful movements actually make them BETTER than most races at those things. That works out to +1 to Open Lock with their -2 Dex, and +2 to to Disable Device...

Also, I don't see what describing the adulthood ritual has to do very directly with alignment... it is perfectly good fluff, just belongs in a "General" section of something as near as I can tell.

Blindsense, combined with a plus to Wisdom and a minus to a PHYSICAL ability score might make some people argue these guys are LA +1.