PDA

View Full Version : Chip "cures" blindness.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-03, 07:04 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11670044

This is now the second attempt at curing blindness with technology. The other involved an external camera but this one involves putting a chip that improves the eye's ability to detect light.

I just think that this is really cool. We are finally getting to the point where technology looks like it might be able to do the sorts of things that sci-fi has promised for so long. While this is not true vision restoration this is a real step forwards.

Lhurgyof
2010-11-03, 07:12 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11670044

This is now the second attempt at curing blindness with technology. The other involved an external camera but this one involves putting a chip that improves the eye's ability to detect light.

I just think that this is really cool. We are finally getting to the point where technology looks like it might be able to do the sorts of things that sci-fi has promised for so long. While this is not true vision restoration this is a real step forwards.

One can't truly see unless they're blind, as Oedipus Rex would say.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-11-03, 07:39 AM
I wanted it to be a story about how a blind chap eating fish and chips tripped over and a chip got in his eyes, somehow curing his blindness, and so he took these wondrous chips to all of the blind people he knew and it cured them likewise, and now he wants to give the formula to the NHS as an act of goodwill...

:smallsmile:

Lhurgyof
2010-11-03, 07:49 AM
I wanted it to be a story about how a blind chap eating fish and chips tripped over and a chip got in his eyes, somehow curing his blindness, and so he took these wondrous chips to all of the blind people he knew and it cured them likewise, and now he wants to give the formula to the NHS as an act of goodwill...

That is such a great idea. xD

ghost_warlock
2010-11-03, 08:49 AM

When I first started reading that, I was guessing you were going towards some sort of Babel Fish for eyes. Imagine my disappointment.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-03, 08:51 AM
Am I the only one exited about cybernetic eyes?

blackfox
2010-11-03, 08:59 AM
Am I the only one exited about cybernetic eyes?Nope. I've been fascinated by this kind of stuff for years. A while ago they were doing experiments with retinal implants for people whose retinas were non-functional for whatever reason, translating light input into digital data and uploading that to the retinal nerve. This was like 7-8 years ago so it was a really crappy 20x20 pixel black and white picture. I dunno if they're still working on this but the whole thing is really cool.

Starbuck_II
2010-11-03, 09:03 AM

What about if you get a virus? That might suck.

Jarawara
2010-11-03, 09:03 AM

I think I can safely say that you are truly the only one who is "exited" about cybernetic eyes. :smalltongue:

However, I for one am excited by the progress, as I have been looking forward to this for a good decade or more now. I have a friend who's daughter went blind at the age of 10, genetic abnormality. I'd like to think that by her mid 20's and beyond, she'll be able to see again.

*~*

In other news, though I don't have a link, I just heard mention on the news yesterday that researchers think they have found a cure for diabetes. I am excited about that! Enough so, that I am going to gorge myself on donuts and soda pop in anticipation of the cure!

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-03, 09:06 AM
In other news, though I don't have a link, I just heard mention on the news yesterday that researchers think they have found a cure for diabetes. I am excited about that! Enough so, that I am going to gorge myself on donuts and soda pop in anticipation of the cure!Most awesome!

Kastanok
2010-11-03, 09:14 AM
Very excited, but I'm just waiting for them to improve upon existing eyes. Super high definition, x12 digital zoom, infra-red, ultra-violet, interactive heads-up-display... that's where it's at.

Sammich
2010-11-03, 09:20 AM
That would bring up a whole slew of issues.

PersonMan
2010-11-03, 09:59 AM
Very excited, but I'm just waiting for them to improve upon existing eyes. Super high definition, x12 digital zoom, infra-red, ultra-violet, interactive heads-up-display... that's where it's at.

That would bring up a whole slew of issues.

Imagine tech support.

"Gah! Help me! My eye keeps showing me an error message! It says fatal error! Help me!"

"Ah, yes. Well, my eye is only showing things in shades of purple..."

"I switched my eye to Dvorak. Now I can't read anything! Help!"

littlebottom
2010-11-03, 10:43 AM
i think it has to be said, that theres different ways of being blind, this will only help solve one kind. BUT that being said, its definatly a great step in the right direction!

Flickerdart
2010-11-03, 10:53 AM
Imagine tech support.

"Gah! Help me! My eye keeps showing me an error message! It says fatal error! Help me!"

"Ah, yes. Well, my eye is only showing things in shades of purple..."

"I switched my eye to Dvorak. Now I can't read anything! Help!"
Have you tried going to sleep and then waking up again?

Asta Kask
2010-11-03, 10:55 AM

Infra-red and ultra-violet sound cool, but remember - the brain has to be able to interpret it.

Eldan
2010-11-03, 11:03 AM

Who would be stupid enough to connect their eyes to the net?

Mr. Moon
2010-11-03, 11:28 AM
This actually gives me a lot of help. I have a family history of degenerative eye diseases, so I suppouse you could say that blindness is something I need to watch out for. (Terrible pun not intended but amuses me nonetheless.) It's good to know that in the future, both myself and mankind, will have another option.

Man, science is awesome.

TSGames
2010-11-03, 11:49 AM

I can picture it now: the worst virus in human history.

Future Newscaster:"Our top story tonight: the suicide rate continues to rise as the 4Chan virus spreads. This virus infects cybernetic eyes and randomly displays images from /b/...we take you live to eye witness testimony:"
Random Citizen 567893:"There I was, driving and talking on my cellphone, when all of a sudden, out of nowhere, this picture of tubgirl pops up and I lost control of the vehicle, it was horrible!"

In all seriousness, I doubt these implants have the capability to connect a network and, hopefully, they never will. (Although even pacemakers connect to networks now, so I suppose it's only a matter of time...)

Gullara
2010-11-03, 01:59 PM
Infra-red and ultra-violet sound cool, but remember - the brain has to be able to interpret it.

It would have to be converted into something the brain can recognize. Probably the deepest reds and brightest purples.

Admiral Squish
2010-11-03, 02:15 PM
I think the infrared/ultraviolet thing would be mostly impossible to ADD to our current spectrum. However, it would be possible, in theory, at least, to swich out the normal spectrum of vision and move it up a notch, making low-end ultraviolet show up at the 'low' end of the visible spectrum, and, conversely, high-end ultraviolet showing up as the high end of visible light. Same thing with infrared. Hell, why stop there? Let's go full-out! Tiny microprocessors in our skulls to process data in and out of 'brain-language', while helping with calculations. Who needs math when you have a calculator built-in that knows all the formulas? Connect it into the wireless phone system and you can get online, make calls, and send texts without ever needing a bulky keypad or screen, just wire it into your eyes. How about ears? Ultra-sensitive microphones. Hear higher and lower than your ear would normally. Hear radio stations. 'Focus' your ear to make it work like a spy microphone!

Coidzor
2010-11-03, 02:18 PM

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/voting_machines.png

-Randall Munroe.

InaVegt
2010-11-03, 02:27 PM

Plenty of people.

The Rose Dragon
2010-11-03, 02:31 PM
-Randall Munroe.

I kept looking for alt-text. Clearly I am an idiot.

Or possibly blind.

Coidzor
2010-11-03, 02:52 PM
I kept looking for alt-text. Clearly I am an idiot.

Or possibly blind.

I'm thinking the answer is more Pavlovian than that.

Starbuck_II
2010-11-03, 04:17 PM
Plenty of people.

Agreed. Remember Star Gate: SG1 had a episode where everyone was on a planet. The Computer was usinga virus to change everyone's memories to keep the peace.

shadow_archmagi
2010-11-03, 08:09 PM
Nope. I've been fascinated by this kind of stuff for years. A while ago they were doing experiments with retinal implants for people whose retinas were non-functional for whatever reason, translating light input into digital data and uploading that to the retinal nerve. This was like 7-8 years ago so it was a really crappy 20x20 pixel black and white picture. I dunno if they're still working on this but the whole thing is really cool.

I know, right? I can't wait until I can look at things the way a robot could. Imagine having alt-text on household objects!

Admiral Squish
2010-11-03, 08:17 PM
I know, right? I can't wait until I can look at things the way a robot could. Imagine having alt-text on household objects!

Unlikely. Your brain would still be doing all the processing, it'd just be a little TV screen inside your eye.

Fiery Diamond
2010-11-03, 08:28 PM
And then, of course, there's the idea of - what exactly is the brain capable of perceiving/processing that the physical input (eyes, ears, etc.) isn't capable of sending to the brain? Just as you can't give a person blind from birth any real form of sight when they are adults, no matter what you use, because the brain hasn't learned to process it, we couldn't just add stuff on teens/adults that our brains don't normally have to process. BUT! What if an infant had advanced perception equipment integrated with his/her body? Would the brain be able to learn to perceive things it normally can't? (I don't think that this kind of experimentation would be a good thing; I think it runs into ethical issues. However, it is certainly interesting to think about.)

shadow_archmagi
2010-11-03, 08:34 PM
Unlikely. Your brain would still be doing all the processing, it'd just be a little TV screen inside your eye.

The little TV screen in my eye could still provide an overlay.

Orzel
2010-11-03, 09:17 PM
As a person who is blind in one eye, I was just wait ing for the tech to see out my left eye.

Admiral Squish
2010-11-03, 09:30 PM
The little TV screen in my eye could still provide an overlay.

Well, no. Imagine a camera. The camera can't add overlays. There would have to be some kind of processor between the image being recorded and the image being projected into your nerves. Adding that processor between them could cause some serious delays.

You might be able to pull it off if the processor is installed later along the optic nerve. that way, it wouldn't have to travel through the processor, the processor could just add the labeling after looking at it for a few seconds. Though, I'm not sure that's plausible at the current tech level.

2010-11-03, 09:41 PM
the brain cant process that? obviously a problem that will remain insurmountable for all time.

i want a better brain to go with my futurey super-eyes, one that can process UV and IR light. and has redundant systems, wifi(or futurey equivilent with a physical "off" switch), direct interface for UIs (with multiple perception centers and memory built to process all of it), can actually do math, and and and :smallredface: ill shut up now.

but yes, "plain" cybernetic eyes for the blind/mostly blind are cool enough for today.:smallsigh::smallbiggrin:

and yes; ethical issues, potential for abuse, but we run into that with technology thats been around for 100 years or longer.

shadow_archmagi
2010-11-04, 05:40 AM
may be relevant to your interests (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/02/science/02angier.html?_r=2)

RanWilde
2010-11-04, 09:12 AM
the brain cant process that? obviously a problem that will remain insurmountable for all time.

i want a better brain to go with my futurey super-eyes, one that can process UV and IR light. and has redundant systems, wifi(or futurey equivilent with a physical "off" switch), direct interface for UIs (with multiple perception centers and memory built to process all of it), can actually do math, and and and :smallredface: ill shut up now.

but yes, "plain" cybernetic eyes for the blind/mostly blind are cool enough for today.:smallsigh::smallbiggrin:

and yes; ethical issues, potential for abuse, but we run into that with technology thats been around for 100 years or longer.

We run into that problem with technology that has been around for thousands of years. That shouldn't stop us from researching new technology.

Terumitsu
2010-11-04, 10:03 AM
The first steps to true cybernetics? This is full of awesome. I've had eye surgury to implant plastic lenses in my eyes to correct what used to be terrible nearsightedness but this looks really cool.

Just think, in a few decades, everyone will have hover cars and their own jetpacks! And I say that only half jokingly!

LCR
2010-11-04, 11:54 AM
This is going to take a long, long, long time, before it is even remotely possible to restore eyesight to a near-physiological level.

Qwaz
2010-11-04, 02:46 PM

You certainly have an eye for a story :smallwink:

*cue groans*

Kastanok
2010-11-04, 06:25 PM
The first steps to true cybernetics? This is full of awesome. I've had eye surgury to implant plastic lenses in my eyes to correct what used to be terrible nearsightedness but this looks really cool.

Not the first step; one of many along a path - or branch, however you care to envision it.

There's a particular famous pioneer of cybernetics (who's name escapes me I've never bothered to memorise who started with implanting a tiny chip into his arm, to serve as a pass-card and computer-login-in key. Last I heard he'd upgraded so he could remotely control a mechanical hand, having it mirror his own actions.

As for eyes, they've been experimenting with face-mounted digital receptors for a few years now, though they started with only a few pixels.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-04, 06:33 PM
As for eyes, they've been experimenting with face-mounted digital receptors for a few years now, though they started with only a few pixels.

True. The big step here is that there is no external receptor, it works by sending signals down the optic nerve. OK so there is a battery pack that resembles a rather large hearing aid but no mounted camera.

Terumitsu
2010-11-04, 08:08 PM
Not the first step; one of many along a path - or branch, however you care to envision it.

There's a particular famous pioneer of cybernetics (who's name escapes me I've never bothered to memorise who started with implanting a tiny chip into his arm, to serve as a pass-card and computer-login-in key. Last I heard he'd upgraded so he could remotely control a mechanical hand, having it mirror his own actions.

I went to search for that guy's name as I know what you are talking about and found This. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppILwXwsMng)

Early mechanical prosthesis! But it does give one an idea of how it might be to have to work with a new robotic limb...

Also, I'm pretty sure I said 'steps' as plural... It's not you, it's my pet peeve when that happens is all. Pardon me for bringing it up but it's just a bother to me when that happens anywhere.

Brother Oni
2010-11-05, 07:53 AM
This is going to take a long, long, long time, before it is even remotely possible to restore eyesight to a near-physiological level.

Depends on what the issue is. If it's just pure processing power, then Moore's Law should hopefully sort that out quicker than we think.

If a massive commerical use is found for it, then development might be accelerated even more as the private sector gets involved.

I agree that there's still decades worth of development to go, but I'm not as pessimistic as you seem to be.

I'm reminded of the Surrogate film with Bruce Willis. Initially started out as replacement limbs for the disabled, went into lifting aids for construction and manual labor, developed further into a hazardous situation replacements, then soon into a lifestyle choice and finally the defacto way of life.

RanWilde
2010-11-05, 03:20 PM
I just hope they get that cure for colorblindness pill finished soon. I don't want to live the rest of my life not knowing what I am missing!