PDA

View Full Version : Homemade artifacts? (D&D 4e)

Forever Curious
2010-11-03, 08:09 AM
Shortly in my ongoing campaign I'm planning on introducing a powerful magic item/artifact (which may or may not turn into the MacGuffin). I was half tempted to make it have abilities a the plot demands until the players actually acquire it, but then I figured I might as well stat it out. Does anyone have good advice on stating out a homemade artifact/powerful magic item?

Kurald Galain
2010-11-03, 08:23 AM
Does anyone have good advice on stating out a homemade artifact/powerful magic item?

That depends on what it is - a magical sword? A hat that speaks to you? A glowing orb that follows you around?

Don't be afraid to give it strong powers and big bonuses; it is, after all, an artifact and the PCs won't have it forever, so give it an impact. I find that the rules encourage many DMs to give small powers and big drawbacks to "balance it out", and that doesn't help.

For example,
Excalibur, artifact longsword
Property: while wielded, the sword sheds light as a sunrod.
Property: when you hit an undead or demon with this sword, it deals 10 additional damage.
Power (encounter, no action) Trigger: you are unconscious at the beginning of your turn, or fall unconscious at the beginning of your turn. Effect: take a standard action.
Power (daily, standard action): the sword gives you advice, similar to the Hand of Fate ritual

dsmiles
2010-11-03, 08:30 AM
A glowing orb that follows you around?

Only if its name is Bit, and can only say 'yes' and 'no.' :smallbiggrin:

panaikhan
2010-11-03, 08:37 AM
First of all, I've not really played 4e.
Whenever I've tried to stat out a powerful item, I've used ideas from Weapons of Legacy, and/or the "insane power vs nasty drawback" ideas from the DMG.

If you make all of the 'nasty drawbacks' based around owning the item for some time, it gives the party a reason to have it at first (it's powerful), and also a reason to pass it on once they're finished (it's slowly turning us all into bunnies - look, i've got the ears already)

Forever Curious
2010-11-03, 08:52 AM
That depends on what it is - a magical sword? A hat that speaks to you? A glowing orb that follows you around?

As I envision it at the moment, it's an amulet that aids the owner in the domination of others.

Example powers:
Property: Grants the wearer +5 to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Insight
Property: Enemies take -2 to attack rolls against the wearer
Power (encounter, standard): Close Burst 5, Mental Stat +5 vs. Will. The target becomes slowed (save ends). First Failed Save: the target becomes dominated (save ends).
Power (daily, standard): Blast 6, Mental Stat +6 vs. Will. The target is dominated and can only save against this affect once an hour. The amulet only grants this power when Pleased.

dsmiles
2010-11-03, 08:55 AM
As I envision it at the moment, it's an amulet that aids the owner in the domination of others.

Example powers:
Property: Grants the wearer +5 to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Insight
Property: Enemies take -2 to attack rolls against the wearer
Power (encounter, standard): Close Burst 5, Mental Stat +5 vs. Will. The target becomes slowed (save ends). First Failed Save: the target becomes dominated (save ends).
Power (daily, standard): Blast 6, Mental Stat +6 vs. Will. The target is dominated and can only save against this affect once an hour. The amulet only grants this power when Pleased.

That's pretty potent.

Kurald Galain
2010-11-03, 09:16 AM

Amulet of Dominance
(assuming this is a neckslot item, add standard fort/ref/will bonus as appropriate)
Property: Gain a +2 item bonus to all charisma checks and charisma skill checks, but not charisma attacks.
Power (at will, standard): range 10, +10 vs Will. Hit: slide the target half its speed, and it makes a basic attack against the creature of your choice (adjust attack bonus according to whatever the campaign level is).
Power (encounter, interrupt) Trigger: an enemy targets you with a melee or ranged attack. Effect: the attack instead targets a creature of your choice within range.
Power (daily, standard): melee touch. The target is dominated until it takes damage.

Forever Curious
2010-11-03, 10:27 AM
Amulet of Dominance
(assuming this is a neckslot item, add standard fort/ref/will bonus as appropriate)
Property: Gain a +2 item bonus to all charisma checks and charisma skill checks, but not charisma attacks.
Power (at will, standard): range 10, +10 vs Will. Hit: slide the target half its speed, and it makes a basic attack against the creature of your choice (adjust attack bonus according to whatever the campaign level is).
Power (encounter, interrupt) Trigger: an enemy targets you with a melee or ranged attack. Effect: the attack instead targets a creature of your choice within range.
Power (daily, standard): melee touch. The target is dominated until it takes damage.

Ooh, I like. Is that artifact worthy or just magic item?

Sipex
2010-11-03, 01:08 PM
In my opinion Artifacts should always allow you to do something no other magic item should be able to.

The Amulet of Dominance kind of fits that as I'm unsure if the daily power exists anywhere else.

Be creative though, it doesn't need to be something that easily fits into power mechanics or gives a better number than something else. It's also more entertaining if it can do something which would be incredible even out of battle (like the dominate for example).