PDA

View Full Version : Extremely low charisma

Zimzam
2010-11-03, 10:20 AM
We've just started a 3.5 campaign, when rolling for stats, we had to go with what we got first time. ended up with a charisma of 5, which was reduced to 3 as i am a shifter.
any roleplay ideas for a charisma 3 shifter barbarian? :P

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-03, 10:21 AM
Completely withdrawn. Utterly uncomfortable with social situations and new people. Soft spoken when he does decide to speak, and tends to keep it short. Easily swayed by others and likely to go with the flow. Probably doesn't have much of a sense of 'self'.

Duke of URL
2010-11-03, 10:24 AM
A Charisma of 3 implies someone who is barely capable of interacting with the world in a meaningful way. As the parent of two autistic children, I'd suggest looking into some of the symptoms of autism as possible inspiration, specifically the limitations on empathy, ability to socially function, and tendency to completely withdraw into themselves.

Lancaster_Road
2010-11-03, 10:24 AM
If you want to be liked at the table: Don't talk much, act extremely shy, offer information rarely if ever, but otherwise do the job your character can do.

If you want them to hate you: Look up Christian Weston Chandler, model character on him. I don't recommend this one.

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-03, 10:26 AM
A Charisma of 3 implies someone who is barely capable of interacting with the world in a meaningful way. As the parent of two autistic children, I'd suggest looking into some of the symptoms of autism as possible inspiration, specifically the limitations on empathy, ability to socially function, and tendency to completely withdraw into themselves.

Empathy is Wisdom - Wisdom guides your ability to perceive your surroundings. Charisma is your ability to differentiate yourself from your surroundings.

This is why all creatures have a Wisdom and a Charisma score. Even animated objects.

Someone with high Wisdom and low Charisma is probably very empathic - to the point where other people's emotions tend to colour or even override his own.

Duke of URL
2010-11-03, 10:28 AM
Empathy is Wisdom - Wisdom guides your ability to perceive your surroundings

Empathy also plays into your interaction with others. Part of it is perceiving them as real, distinct entities other than yourself, but part of it is also acting on that perception.

Psyren
2010-11-03, 10:29 AM
My advice is reroll, but if you want to stick it out then you're playing someone with almost no sense of self. You should be eager for direction, to the point that you will follow others' suggestions even if you think you have a better idea.

Zimzam
2010-11-03, 10:39 AM
how about a feral-child type situation. seeing as this guy is very animalistic, he could behave like a beast, perhaps crap on the street and carry stuff in his mouth, he also has an int of 8 so i think a bestial nature might suit him, thoughts? (btw he's not completely useless, str 18 con 14 dex 20, hes all brawn no brain)

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-03, 10:40 AM
Int 8 isn't animal intelligence - is "stupid human" intelligence.

WinWin
2010-11-03, 10:47 AM
Maybe play your character as savage and primal. Not neccesarily stupid or violent. Speak softly and avoid eye contact unless you're looking for confrontation. Don't bathe. Ignore civilised social mores. Growl, mumble and grunt instead of speaking properly.

When your character does have something important to say, speak slowly, pausing between big words. Walk or turn away from people mid conversation...While still listening to what they have to say.

Nervous, twitchy and paranoid.

Just a few ideas.

mucat
2010-11-03, 10:51 AM
And 3 isn't really a typical animal charisma...at least not for a top-level predator. A wolf or a big cat tends to have a fairly strong sense of self as differentiated from their environment or even their pack. (A wolf may know his place in the pack, but he'll know that it is his place, and guard it fiercely against lower-ranked members, while looking for chances to move up the pecking order.)

They don't have as great a sense of individuality as humans, so their charisma scores are lower -- I think most hunting animals are placed in the 6 - 8 range -- but a feral, animalistic character, at least if he's modeled on predators and not herd animals, should have a higher charisma than 3. I would go more with the "almost no sense of self, strongly influenced by his surroundings and the opinions of others" model.

Psyren
2010-11-03, 10:51 AM
I would definitely lean more towards feral also. But not "primal" - that implies a self-pride and disdain for civilization that this guy doesn't have the Charisma to support. Have him be in awe of cities and intimidated by all the bustle rather than dismissive of them - and at the same time, completely unaware of how imposing his massive physique makes him to everyone else.

Aotrs Commander
2010-11-03, 10:53 AM
Charisma is also force of personality. So you could argue a low charisma means you have less force, less personality.

Or none. I have a homebrew race of lizard folk (Intulo) who are basically like reptilian evil Vulcans. They take a huge (-4) Cha hit because they simply don't have emotions (or any strong ones), like at all. (It's a bugger for the Intulo Ranger character who's part of the Dark Lord's spy network, though! At Cha 4, his Gather Information is frankly a bit pants, to say the least...!)

I also translate the Cha penalty of Dwarves (and of many of my homebrew evil races) as being a lack of sense of self (clan over self for the Dwarves, subserviance for the evil races, bred to serve the Dark Lord.)

So you could potentially have a character who is very emotionless or one who is sheep-like and easily suggestable.

Nidogg
2010-11-03, 01:09 PM
Be bi- polar go from a "I dont want to hurt you" to Complete dismemberment rage. Charisma affects personal skills which is all about moderation, logically somone with little charisma would not have any concept of a middle ground. So barbis good for this. Example of this lack of charismahttp://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20070908

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-11-03, 01:39 PM
I don't think Bi-Polar Disorder is really accurate for a low charisma character. Something more like a Blunted Affect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blunted_affect) or Anhedonia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhedonia) would likely be more accurate. Also, you may be prone to Dissociation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociation) and to Dissociative Episodes, though I don't know how you'd play this as they can make it very difficult to function in day to day life.

Psyren
2010-11-03, 01:40 PM
Charisma is also force of personality. So you could argue a low charisma means you have less force, less personality.

Or none. I have a homebrew race of lizard folk (Intulo) who are basically like reptilian evil Vulcans. They take a huge (-4) Cha hit because they simply don't have emotions (or any strong ones), like at all. (It's a bugger for the Intulo Ranger character who's part of the Dark Lord's spy network, though! At Cha 4, his Gather Information is frankly a bit pants, to say the least...!)

I also translate the Cha penalty of Dwarves (and of many of my homebrew evil races) as being a lack of sense of self (clan over self for the Dwarves, subserviance for the evil races, bred to serve the Dark Lord.)

So you could potentially have a character who is very emotionless or one who is sheep-like and easily suggestable.

Yes, all of this is what I was getting at. (Not so much the dark lord stuff though, I don't think that would apply to Shifters.)

grarrrg
2010-11-03, 02:17 PM
Int 8 isn't animal intelligence - is "stupid human" intelligence.

Not to derail this thread or anything, but 8 Int is NOT "stupid" level.
Thread linky (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173973).
8 is merely SLIGHTLY below the absolute average.

And as an alternative to the "shy" thing, since you are a Barbarian, may I suggest getting angry/frustrated very VERY easily?

jiriku
2010-11-03, 02:26 PM
Also, don't moderate your behavior based on the social setting. As children grow and mature socially, they learn that it's inappopriate to talk loudly in the movie theatre, tell bawdy jokes at a funeral, or dance dirty at a highbrow social gathering. A Cha 3 character doesn't pick up on the need to behave differently in different contexts, and is completely oblivious to subtle social cues like disapproving stares or a frosty tone of voice.

Fhaolan
2010-11-03, 03:29 PM
With the way I view charisma, a feral character is in fact the exact opposite of a low charisma character. Very low charisma, to me, means someone easily subjugated, sidelined, and ignored. Someone who can't stand up for themselves deliberately because they have no self-worth. They can't bluff, they can't intimidate, they can't get a date for the prom, etc.

This is not feral. Heck, this isn't even domesticated.

HunterOfJello
2010-11-03, 03:37 PM
"A character with high Charisma may be attractive, striking, personable,
and confident. A character with high Charisma but a low Intelligence can
usually pass herself off as knowledgeable, until she meets a true expert.
A charismatic character lacking in both Intelligence and Wisdom is likely
to be shallow and unaware of others’ feelings.
A character with low Charisma may be reserved, gruff, rude, fawning,
or simply nondescript."

~
I would play your character to be completely ignorant of all social norms and to be completely impulsive in how he treats others. His lies should all be too unbelievable or implausible to ever be believed. He should spend a great deal of time drunk and growling at others.

You should give him the elements of a hero, but one that completley lacks the charisma to ever be recognized as more than a drunk and angry beast.

~

Also, you absolutely need to take a 1 level dip into cleric to grab the Pleasure domain or find another way to obtain its equivalent. It gives you immunity to charisma damage and drain.

If you don't grab this, then you can easily be hit by a level 1 spell and sent into a coma for having 0 charisma. This will probably be your character's biggest weakness, so be careful.

Ragitsu
2010-11-03, 03:43 PM
Easily swayed by others and likely to go with the flow.

I'd call that symptomatic of low Wisdom (which affects willpower) and/or low Intelligence (ability to reason and analyze things). Low Charisma just means that convincing others will be more difficult.

Very low charisma, to me, means someone easily subjugated

As I said above, that sounds like low Wisdom and/or low Intelligence.

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-03, 03:45 PM
I'd call that symptomatic of low Wisdom (which affects willpower) or low Intelligence (ability to reason and analyze things). Low Charisma just means that convincing others will be more difficult.

Charisma is directly linked with your sense of self. If you have little sense of self, you're easily coloured by other people's ideas.

Ragitsu
2010-11-03, 03:46 PM
Charisma is directly linked with your sense of self. If you have little sense of self, you're easily coloured by other people's ideas.

Then tell me: why is Charisma an OPTIONAL stat to base your ability to resist mind-altering spells upon, and Wisdom is the default?

HunterOfJello
2010-11-03, 03:50 PM
I'd call that symptomatic of low Wisdom (which affects willpower) or low Intelligence (ability to reason and analyze things). Low Charisma just means that convincing others will be more difficult.

I agree completely.

Low charisma displays a lack of ability in social situations. They may still be smart and wise, but they will have a lack of ability to convincingly express themselves and be understood.

Charisma based skills include:

Diplomacy
Disguise
Gather Information
Handle Animal
Intimidate (which I still think should be allowed to be based on Str instead or Cha like in 3.0)
Perform
and
Use Magic Device

The character could be completely competent at all sorts of other things, but at this list of skills they would be utterly incompetent.

~

Imagine an unhandsome man raised in the woods by his father who had never met anyone else in his life until his 18th birthday when he ventured into a city. He may be wise in the lessons he's learned and be intelligent and capable, but he lacks the social intuition that all of the people raised in the city would learn easily and develop over time. The man still might have the instincts to tell when someone is lying to him because would be wise enough to sense the wrongness in the situation, but he would lack the skill at being able to successfully lie or manipulate others himself.

Another example would be the highly intelligent and unattractive mage who spent his life learning magic inside of a Wizard's College. He stumbles over words whenever there's a woman in the room, has no idea what the phrase "small talk" even means and really should take a bath more often. He'd be incompetent at social situations demanding a force of personality that he lacks, but he would still be an intelligent wizard capable of casting Charm Person to get what he wants. His low charisma is and impediment, but doesn't change the fact that he may still be quite wise and very intelligent.

Ragitsu
2010-11-03, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I find it funny a Wisdom 20, Charisma 8 character is going to be so easily "swayed" and "subjugated" with their good Sense Motive and Will bonus.

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-03, 03:57 PM
Then tell me: why is Charisma an OPTIONAL stat to base your ability to resist mind-altering spells upon, and Wisdom is the default?

Because Wizards of the Coast aren't good at combining fluff and crunch?

Ragitsu
2010-11-03, 04:00 PM
Imagine an unhandsome man raised in the woods by his father who had never met anyone else in his life until his 18th birthday when he ventured into a city. He may be wise in the lessons he's learned and be intelligent and capable, but he lacks the social intuition that all of the people raised in the city would learn easily and develop over time. The man still might have the instincts to tell when someone is lying to him because would be wise enough to sense the wrongness in the situation, but he would lack the skill at being able to successfully lie or manipulate others himself.

Another example would be the highly intelligent and unattractive mage who spent his life learning magic inside of a Wizard's College. He stumbles over words whenever there's a woman in the room, has no idea what the phrase "small talk" even means and really should take a bath more often. He'd be incompetent at social situations demanding a force of personality that he lacks, but he would still be an intelligent wizard capable of casting Charm Person to get what he wants. His low charisma is and impediment, but doesn't change the fact that he may still be quite wise and very intelligent.

These reasons, and more, are why even leaders have advisers.

Tengu_temp
2010-11-03, 04:15 PM

Since when? It's linked with strength of personality, which is not the same thing. You can have a weak, unassuming presence and still be stubborn.

Ragitsu
2010-11-03, 04:19 PM
I blame flavor text.

Callista
2010-11-03, 04:22 PM
Skills associated with charisma:
# Bluff
# Diplomacy
# Disguise
# Gather Information
# Handle Animal
# Initimidate
# Perform
# Use Magic Device

All except for Handle Animal and Use Magic Device, these are social skills. So you're looking for possibilities that create low social skills.

Psychology nerd alert! :) Possible conditions that involve low social skills include:

Autism spectrum disorders and non-verbal learning disorder
Communication/language disorders (selective mutism; stuttering and other speech impediments; expressive/receptive language disorders)
Avoidant personality disorder
Schizoid personality disorder
Reactive attachment disorder
Schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, and schizotypal personality disorder
Social phobia/social anxiety

You don't have to actually give your character one of these; but like most psychological disorders, they are extreme expressions of typical traits which don't cause impairment. A less extreme version of any of them might fit the bill pretty well.

I'll just go through them briefly and you can see how they play out in real life.

Autism spectrum disorders involve difficulty learning about how people think and communicate, from very early on. Most autistic people learn to speak, but a majority are quite late in learning--as late as the teenage years, though four or five is more typical. You will also get unusual sensory integration: Being oversensitive to things is very common; you might, for example, be unable to go outside without sunglasses or be unable to tolerate the sound of a hair dryer. It's also very common to notice tiny details and lose the bigger picture in the complexity of one's surroundings. (This meshes with your high WIS.) People with autism are often fascinated with one or more very narrow subjects; this would work well with a wizard and his Knowledge skills. They tend to be either extroverted and very eccentric and socially clumsy, or rather withdrawn (about 70% are introverts). Their problems with empathy (reading others' faces and body language) do not extend to problems with sympathy (caring about others); in general, they are as compassionate as anyone you might meet, but very clumsy about showing that they care.

Speech and language disorders affect one's ability to use words, whether that has to do with understanding the concept of words as symbols, physically forming the words, or fluency in speech. That is, you have to inhibit yourself just enough, but not too much, so that you say what you meant to say and no more. Too much inhibition of the impulses that go from the brain to the mouth results in stuttering; and while it gets worse with nervousness, nervousness does not cause it. For most people, it's easier to continue speaking once they've started speaking; those who stutter have to start each new word separately. This causes problems with fluency. Lack of control of the muscles of the mouth and throat can create speech impediments; again, it's a neurological issue.

Avoidant personality disorder describes someone whose mindset tells them to be constantly afraid of being judged by others, and who reacts to this fear by avoiding contact with other people. Fear of embarrassment and social inadequacy are big problems for this group. Unlike the autistic group, they do not have problems with learning social skills.

Schizoid personality disorder is the "extreme loner" personality type. People with SPD tend to find social contact boring and will not seek it out. They don't care about what other people think of them, and don't tend to express emotion very strongly. They are also often asexual, and usually also part of the subgroup of asexuals who also do not desire platonic romance. Most people with schizoid personality disorder don't seek help because their lifestyle doesn't bother them; they are reasonably content with solitude. However, they have no difficulty learning social skills; they just don't have a reason to want to learn.

Reactive attachment disorder is the classic "wild child" syndrome. Seen in children who are neglected as youngsters, it was first studied properly when psychologists treated adoptees from overcrowded Romanian orphanages. In reactive attachment disorder, a child has no firm connection to a single caregiver (or small group of caregivers), and grows up essentially alone. It is very difficult for RAD children to form relationships with others; either they will avoid everyone, or else they will treat everyone as though a long-standing friendship had already been established (for example, go to a perfect stranger for a hug). Unlike autistic children, who form strong bonds with their caregivers just as typical children do, RAD children do not tend to understand the concept of "family" for quite some time after rescue from their deprived circumstances. The fallout of RAD has been shown to continue well into the teen years; and it is likely that adults who were victims of early neglect have unsuual difficulty forming relationships. In cases of extreme neglect where children were not even given enough contact to learn to speak, disability is usually persistent into adulthood. Research the "wild child" phenomenon for examples of these cases.

Schizophrenia and Schizoaffective Disorder: I'm only mentioning these because they're so common. Social withdrawal is often the first obvious sign of an episode of schizophrenia; but the positive symptoms are much more obvious--hallucinations, delusions, and problems with thinking logically. Between episodes, people with schizophrenia often still have "negative" symptoms--things like lack of pleasure, difficulty expressing emotion, and problems with planning and decision-making. Schizophrenia tends to be something which mechanically I'd consider to be a very low Wisdom score and a somewhat low charisma score; but I wouldn't recommend this for a PC because of how difficult it would be to role-play without hogging attention. Schizoaffective disorder is a combination of schizophrenia with the mood disorder effects of bipolar disorder. If you want a PC with this sort of effect, try more of a schizotypal personality disorder: This is a person who does not have full-blown delusions or hallucinations, but is very eccentric, with odd beliefs that are not outright delusional. People with schizotypal personality disorder do not tend to seek out social contact with more than a few close friends because they are very different from most other people and have problems finding a connection.

Social phobia, unlike avoidant personality disorder, is not a life-long pattern, but an acquired fear of embarrassment in public. The milder sorts are things we've probably all experienced: The fear of speaking in public; the fear of asking an attractive person on a date. Think of that fear, and now multiply it by a hundred and apply it to situations like answering the phone, ordering in a restaurant, or saying "hello" to an acquaintance you meet on the road. Social phobia is a fear of interacting with others that is compounded, like most phobias, when the object of one's fear is avoided. It is usually quite treatable by progressive desensitization: Facing situations which one finds only slightly frightening until one is used to them, and progressing to slightly more frightening situations until the phobia has been extinguished.

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-03, 04:50 PM
Since when? It's linked with strength of personality, which is not the same thing. You can have a weak, unassuming presence and still be stubborn.

Under "nonabilities":

Wisdom
Any creature that can perceive its environment in any fashion has at least 1 point of Wisdom. Anything with no Wisdom score is an object, not a creature. Anything without a Wisdom score also has no Charisma score.

Charisma
Any creature capable of telling the difference between itself and things that are not itself has at least 1 point of Charisma. Anything with no Charisma score is an object, not a creature. Anything without a Charisma score also has no Wisdom score.

One assumes "ability to tell the difference between yourself and everything else" relates to your sense of self.

Tengu_temp
2010-11-03, 04:53 PM
This only says that everything that has a sense of self has a charisma score, not that the higher your charisma, the stronger your sense of self.

Ragitsu
2010-11-03, 05:03 PM
Psychology nerd alert! :) Possible conditions that involve low social skills include:

Autism spectrum disorders and non-verbal learning disorder
Communication/language disorders (selective mutism; stuttering and other speech impediments; expressive/receptive language disorders)
Avoidant personality disorder
Schizoid personality disorder
Reactive attachment disorder
Schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, and schizotypal personality disorder
Social phobia/social anxiety

You don't have to actually give your character one of these; but like most psychological disorders, they are extreme expressions of typical traits which don't cause impairment. A less extreme version of any of them might fit the bill pretty well.

I'll just go through them briefly and you can see how they play out in real life.

In GURPS, you'd call some of these Clueless, Oblivious and/or Shyness. Makes me glad I branched out to other systems that mechanically represent the distinctions.

nedz
2010-11-03, 06:58 PM
I'm playing a Dwarf Ranger with 4 cha at the moment.
I just play him as lacking social/communication skills, a bit of a loner.
Which is fine for an obsessive survivalist.

At first the other players started to get anoyed with me as I did thoughtless things that would wind them up, now they just laugh.

I try not to over do it though - as it would get old very quickly.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-11-03, 07:31 PM
For all it matters, Charisma 3 is the same charisma as an octopus (giant or normal-sized) or a Tendriculos. The Tendriculos is capable of attacking "savagely, showing no fear", and the giant octopus is an "aggressive and territorial hunter". The normal octopus usually runs away from disturbances.

BlueWizard
2010-11-03, 08:13 PM
Repulsive. :roach:

Aasimar
2010-11-03, 09:26 PM
Try thinking 'newly released borg drone' perhaps. (like Hugh before he was befriended by the Enterprise crew, or 7of9 in her first appearances)

Charisma is sense of self, confidence and even strength of spirit.

The definition of having at least charisma 1 is "being able to tell the difference between what is itself, and what is not" Someone with charisma 3 is not all that far above that.

Susano-wo
2010-11-03, 10:17 PM
the problem with trying to prescribe CHA is X, or WIS is Y, is that they are vague, and contain overlapping bundles of things.
(INT contrasted with WIS is much easier)

Consequently, both Yuki's positon can be argued, as well as the opposing opinions, since there are (at least) three different aspects to look at: CHA and WIS description, what game effects CHA and Wis affect, and (apparently :P) the bit about nonabilities.

The good news means this gives you more freedom to RP the char you want with the stats you have :smallamused:

Ragitsu
2010-11-03, 10:56 PM
Except that Wisdom directly influences Sense Motive and Will, so, at least mechanically, it's harder to sway the character focused on Wisdom.

nedz
2010-11-05, 09:03 PM
the problem with trying to prescribe CHA is X, or WIS is Y, is that they are vague, and contain overlapping bundles of things.
(INT contrasted with WIS is much easier)

Consequently, both Yuki's positon can be argued, as well as the opposing opinions, since there are (at least) three different aspects to look at: CHA and WIS description, what game effects CHA and Wis affect, and (apparently :P) the bit about nonabilities.

The good news means this gives you more freedom to RP the char you want with the stats you have :smallamused:

I agree with this - there is one right answer:
Which interpretation do you prefer ?

Rodimal
2010-11-06, 01:16 AM
And this right here is the reason we re-roll 1s in character creation. I suggest a reroll.

Out

nedz
2010-11-06, 09:23 AM
And this right here is the reason we re-roll 1s in character creation. I suggest a reroll.
Out

And its also the reason we don't !
It adds to the RP challange to have a character with a low stat.

Each to their own I guess.

Psyx
2010-11-08, 10:34 AM
And its also the reason we don't !
It adds to the RP challange to have a character with a low stat.

/thumbs-up.

If every character has great stats, nobody has great stats.

Psyren
2010-11-08, 10:37 AM
However, one could argue that roleplaying a character who is average in every way is harder than roleplaying one with a mix of very high and very low stats.

Or better yet, one could argue that one can roleplay well (or poorly) regardless of stats.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-08, 10:40 AM
Completely withdrawn. Utterly uncomfortable with social situations and new people. Soft spoken when he does decide to speak, and tends to keep it short. Easily swayed by others and likely to go with the flow. Probably doesn't have much of a sense of 'self'.

Well that's not fun to roleplay. You'll barely speak to anyone. Just be really loud, lack all subtlety, and be completely inappropiate.

Psyx
2010-11-08, 10:43 AM
Well that's not fun to roleplay. You'll barely speak to anyone

I'd beg to differ. There's nothing to say that you'd have to be withdrawn around 'friends' (aka the party) in the same way as a friend of mine with Asperger's is.

In fact, I think it'd be a real blast to constantly whisper to other party members 'ask them if they [whatever]' because you're too shy to talk to the 'stranger' yourself.

Psyren
2010-11-08, 10:44 AM
Well that's not fun to roleplay. You'll barely speak to anyone. Just be really loud, lack all subtlety, and be completely inappropiate.

Isn't it? Being the massive yet childlike shifter barbarian gazing in wonder at the marketplace around him (before losing his purse to a grifter) sounds like a fun concept to me :smallsmile:

In fact, I think it'd be a real blast to constantly whisper to other party members 'ask them if they [whatever]' because you're too shy to talk to the 'stranger' yourself.

Whisper loudly too. And shuffle your feet/break eye contact when spoken to. Be overly trusting. Heck yeah this would be fun!

Susano-wo
2010-11-08, 06:02 PM
actions can speak louder than words. YOu'd just have to be active in describing what you are doing, and in waht way.
(and rerolling 1s doesn't mean never having a low score. you can still have as low as 6)