PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Cliche

BRC
2010-11-03, 11:32 AM
So, I'm running a Western campaign with two characters, a gunslinger and a beguiler. They're about to run into the Gunslinger's Mentor, a somewhat quixotic fellow obsessed with Heroism (Think Othar Trygvassen, Gentleman Adventurer from Girl Genius). My current plan is to set the adventure inside his overactive imagination.
Basically, they'll meet, catch up, and I'll have the Players play through the over-the-top way he imagines their adventures both past and present. Technically, the adventure is just them sitting on a ferry crossing a lake, what the players will be playing through is the way he imagines things happening.
So far, they have fought some bandits, investigated attacks by burrowing monsters, discovered an ancient shrine, been hired by some shady railroad types to take stuff from the shrine to an archeologist (They are currently on their way to said archeologist), stopped a train heist being perpetrated by the aformentioned bandits, and helped defend a town from an army of ghouls led by a crow-themed warlock. He could also imagine adventures they will later have.

So yeah, my goal here is ridiculous over-the-top fun with more cheese (story-wise not build-wise) than a nacho pizza, and I'm looking for ways to create that.

BRC
2010-11-04, 10:18 AM
(Bump/extra thoughts)
One thing I'm wondering is how much I should alter the mechanics for an adventure like this, to better simulate the fact that this is over-the-top and dramatic. I'm considering importing the "Drama Die" system from Seventh Sea, giving my players re-rolls or extra dice for being excessively dramatic.
Any ideas on specific plots I could use? Maybe throw in a constantly imperiled damsel, or describe every enemy as having a big curly mustache.