PDA

View Full Version : Best defensive spells, 1-9

WarKitty
2010-11-03, 12:29 PM
I was reading the rocket-tag thread and thinking how many people use offensive spells more than defensive. So, what are your opinions on the best defensive spells available:

Sorc/Wiz
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
Cleric
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
Bard
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
Druid
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:

Edit: I'm thinking strict combat defense spells - while I know there are other great spells out there, the list might get a bit long!

Toptomcat
2010-11-03, 12:34 PM
Huh. I was thinking about starting something similar. Let's see, just off the top of my head:
Spell Turning
Mind Blank
Wings of Cover
Contingency
Otiluke's Resilient Sphere (excellent defensively, limits offense)
Greater Resistance
(Greater) Mage Armor (fairly basic benefit, and one you really shouldn't need with proper teamwork at low levels and just plain good play at higher levels, but excellent duration and fairly low spell slot)
(Greater) Mirror Image

Tyndmyr
2010-11-03, 12:35 PM
Sorc Only: Wings of Cover. Level 2.

Wiz/Sorc.

Ironguard and it's lesser cousin. 7 and 5, IIRC.

The four heart spells. Levels 2,3,4,5 iirc.

Permanencied Detect Magic.

Permanencied See Invisibility.

Contingency. Possible applications abound.

Fly. 3.

Mage Armor. 1. Great for the level, and general utility. Eclipsed later.

Protection from Arrows. 2. Ditto the above.

Spell Turning. 9. Is awesome.

Prot against Good/Evil/Chaos/Law. 1. Very powerful.

Mind Blank.

+4 dex...core but I forget the name. 2. More init, reflex saves etc are always awesome.

Edit: Forgot the Lesser Sphere of invulnerability. Amazing at the level you get it, though also ecplised later.

Toptomcat
2010-11-03, 12:36 PM
Surge of Fortune- ablative SoD armor, no matter what the save DC is, and +2 luck bonus to saves and AC until then (Clr 5, Complete Champion)
(Greater) Blink- miss chances are tasty
Freedom of Movement- shuts down many save-or-loses and grapplers
Astral Projection- extra lives by RAW
Foresight- v. high level, but never surprised or flat-footed
Prismatic Sphere- 5-foot out, cast spell, move action back in
Clone- extra lives by RAI
Moment of Prescience- pseudo-Surge of Fortune with no passive effect and far better duration
(Greater) Heroism: Rarely-seen morale bonus to saves: lesser version has decent duration
(Greater) Invisibility, lots of other defensive illusion spells: Fantastic against opponents that lack counters to it, trivial when/if True Seeing starts getting universally available
Fire Shield: Can stack it twice, grants evasion vs. either fire or cold spells, not all that great
Stoneskin: Is verra verra nice at medium to low optimization levels/character levels: is not terribly relevent against charger builds, supertrippers, massive grapplers and other high-op threats

subject42
2010-11-03, 12:37 PM
Dragon Armor (or maybe it's called Dragon Scales) from the MiC is a 4th level spell slot that gives you a natural armor bonus and energy resistance for the cost of one slot. I think it's 1hr/level, too.

WarKitty
2010-11-03, 12:47 PM
Dragon Armor (or maybe it's called Dragon Scales) from the MiC is a 4th level spell slot that gives you a natural armor bonus and energy resistance for the cost of one slot. I think it's 1hr/level, too.

MiC?

extratext

Toptomcat
2010-11-03, 12:49 PM
The typical abbreviation for the Magic Item Compendium, but that has no spells. Check Spell Compendium?

Duke of URL
2010-11-03, 12:52 PM
Displacement is a cheap miss-chance spell, as is blur. Short durations, but can be handy to stick in low-level slots. (Greater) mirror image also helps avoid attacks by simply not being there.

At 0th level, resistance is not too bad, either, though at higher character levels, you almost certainly have a better resistance bonus from items.

Tyndmyr
2010-11-03, 12:53 PM
Magic Item Compendium. Worth familiarizing yourself with. It's got the resistance line, which are far, far superior to the terrible core resistance cantrip. Actually useful durations, plus larger effects.

Ironguard is great. Immunity to metal weapons? Well, that neutralizes the majority of melee builds with a single spell. Ranged builds can be destroyed via wind wall. Spell turning is great vs casters. True seeing entirely removes the illusion school as a threat.

After that, most of the rest is added redundancy with overlapping effects. Fly makes you effectively immune to anything stuck on the ground without range = to your flying height. Death Ward should also be considered at some point, unless you've become undead or some such.

Edit: Blink is also fantastic. 50% chance of ignoring nearly anything. I like broad defenses such as these...that also double as utility. Flying through walls has all sorts of applications.

WarKitty
2010-11-03, 12:57 PM
Magic Item Compendium doesn't have spells. I think people mean Spell Compendium. I think subject42 is talking about dragonskin from that book, but I'm not sure.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-03, 12:59 PM
No love for mystic shield? (Anauroch The empire of shade)

Level 7 or 8 spell, makes you immune to all spells up to 6th level and any magic weapon used against you is stripped of it's enchancement, therefore your ´+ 9 sword of awesomenes? becomes a masterwork sword (combine it with ghostform for luls as you effectively become immune to weapons)

... bad part is rounds per level but on the upside is persistable (Incantix FTW!!!)

Tyndmyr
2010-11-03, 01:00 PM
My bad. Yeah, MiC is magic item compendium, but I was mentally assuming spell compendium.

If your DM is ever so silly as to allow third party stuff uncautiously, Ultimate Arcane has a line of elemental themed buffs with long durations that give untyped stat bonuses. In addition, they can be discharged for damage.

Toptomcat
2010-11-03, 01:02 PM
Leomund's Tiny Hut! Standard-action casting to turtle for two hours/level with total cover and concealment at only 3rd level! It's a force effect, so it can't be destroyed physically- with the exception given in the spell of hurricane-force winds, and who can make those on command? Wow, I never realized its potential as a combat spell before.

Spell Immunity is niceish if you can reliably predict your opponent's tactics.

Tyndmyr
2010-11-03, 01:04 PM
Well, technically, Control Wind can summon hurricane force winds as a standard action.

Toptomcat
2010-11-03, 01:07 PM
Even in high-op arena D&D, comparatively few classes have access to 11th level Druid or Air-domain cleric casting, and in a PvE environment the number of opponents you'll fight with that capability will be completely negligible. (Until the DM catches on, but that applies to EVERYTHING.)

Edit: 9th level psion power Timeless Body is comfortingly broad about being 'invulnerable to all attacks and powers' during its (one-round) duration: though you can't quicken it, you can quicken other powers while you manifest it, which amounts to almost the same thing.

Tyndmyr
2010-11-03, 01:13 PM
I <3 the storm domain for domain wizards.

But yeah, it's a 5th level counter to a 3rd level spell, which gives you a gap before anyone can effectively counter it, and even then, not everyone can.

Control winds is spell I feel is fairly underrated though. A great many problems can be solved by an instant hurricane.

Toptomcat
2010-11-03, 01:16 PM
Storm domain means you're a generalist, which means you aren't specializing, which means you aren't a Conjurer, which means you've given up Abrupt Jaunt, which is not technically a spell but is still schmexy enough to absolutely require mention in a guide like this.

Tyndmyr
2010-11-03, 01:17 PM
We really should add a list for non-spell defensive options.

Abrupt Jaunt is one such option. Necropolitan is another. Having a wide range of immunities is invariably a popular path to take.

jiriku
2010-11-03, 01:19 PM
I classify greater arcane sight as a defensive spell as well, because it gives you so much information about in-place spells and effects. There are so many possible threats in high-level play, ignorance of the enemy is one of your most terrible dangers.

subject42
2010-11-03, 01:23 PM
MiC?

extratext

Sorry, spell compendium (SpC). I'm a few beats off today.

Another great defensive spell is Ruin Delver's Fortune, which is also 4th level. It gives you a menu of defensive buffs as an immediate action.

Greenish
2010-11-03, 01:24 PM
Ruin Delver's Fortune (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041022a) is a nifty 2nd level spell that provides defensive bonuses with an immediate action. It was printed in SC too, though I can't recall whether they changed anything other than putting it on sorc/wiz spell list.

Rankletaste (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20030420a) is a funny spell: you become so bad tasting that anything that bites or tries to swallow you becomes nauseated, and has to spit you out.

[Edit]: Argh, swordsage'd whilst looking for the right link.

arguskos
2010-11-03, 01:36 PM
Effulgent Epuration, SpC, Sor/Wiz 9. I like me some CL number of spheres that absorb any targeted effect at you. That sounds pretty tech to me. :smallcool:

true_shinken
2010-11-03, 01:37 PM
Ruin Delver's Fortune (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041022a) is a nifty 2nd level spell that provides defensive bonuses with an immediate action. It was printed in SC too, though I can't recall whether they changed anything other than putting it on sorc/wiz spell list.
It's a 4th level spell... not even in your link is it 2nd level.
But I know better. I see what you did there. I know what you meant!
You actually realized that fortune is dictated by 2 - a number more auspicious than 4, since it carries the conotation of death.
Clearly, it should be a 2nd level spell. I'll correct my Spell Compendium right away. Thank you, Greenish.

Wings of Peace
2010-11-03, 01:48 PM
Alter Self, becoming an Outsider isn't hard and +18 Natural Armor at level 3 is amazing.

Ernir
2010-11-03, 01:50 PM
Ignoring all those spells that can help you live in a roundabout way, such as Divinations and BC spells, focusing on buffs:

Sorc/Wiz

Mage Armor, Protection from Evil (IF the DM uses possession effects or aligned summons), Reduce Person (can be permanencied), Swift Expeditious Retreat [SpC].
Alter Self, Mirror Image, Resist Energy, Invisibility, Scintillating Scales (If you have a huge natural armor bonus, which is common at higher levels) [SpC], Swift Fly [SpC], Heroics [SpC], Wings of Air (higher level thing) [SpC], Wings of Cover (Sorcerer only, but stupid good) [Races of the Dragon], Luminous Armor (Beware the cost, and is good only) , Lesser Celerity [PHB2], Heart of Air (Mostly if combined with the other "Heart" spells) [CMage].
Protection from Energy, Magic Circle against Evil (See PfE above), Displacement, Blink, Fly, Haste, Anticipate Teleportation [SpC], Spiderskin [SpC], Bite of the Wererat [SpC], Alter Fortune [PHB2], Heart of Water [CMage]
Lesser Globe of Invulnerability, Greater Invisibility, [B]Polymorph, Ray Deflection [SpC], Ruin Delver's Fortune (Great for Sorcerers, crap for Wizards.) [SpC], Greater Luminous Armor , [B]Celerity (Warning: Broken) [PHB2], Greater Mirror Image [PHB2], Heart of Earth [CMage].
Overland Flight, Contingent Energy Resistance [SpC], Greater Blink (I love this one) [SpC], Draconic Might [SpC], Draconic Polymorph (Draconomicon), Swift Etherealness [PHB2], Heart of Fire [CMage].
Globe of Invulnerability, Greater Heroism (Better if you leave it to the Bard, though), Contingency, Superior Resistance (Would have bolded this, but Contingency raises the bar for 6th level spells.) [SpC], Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability [SpC], Starmantle .
Spell Turning, Ethereal Jaunt, Energy Immunity [SpC], [B]Ironguard [SpC], Body of War (This isn't for you. It's for your familiar.) [SpC], Elemental Body [SpC].
Mind Blank, Moment of Prescience, Iron Body, Polymorph Any Object (If you can find a way to not break it, anyway), Superior Invisibility [SpC], Ghostform [SpC], Greater Celerity [PHB2].
Foresight, Prismatic Sphere, Shapechange, Effulgent Epuration [SpC].

Might do the other lists when I have time...

Toptomcat
2010-11-03, 01:59 PM
Bravo, bravo!

Emmerask
2010-11-03, 02:11 PM
Starmantle + evasion should be on that list somewhere :smallwink:

without evasion (which most if not all dms will not allow coupled with this) it is still pretty decent :smallwink:

Greenish
2010-11-03, 04:04 PM
It's a 4th level spell... not even in your link is it 2nd level.Heh, that's what you get from typing from memory and then adding the link as an afterthought.

You actually realized that fortune is dictated by 2 - a number more auspicious than 4, since it carries the conotation of death.4 has connotations of death? I'll have to brush up my numerology.

Toptomcat
2010-11-03, 04:57 PM
I think that's an Asian thing, really, which may not match up with the same sort of numerology you're used to.

Ernir
2010-11-03, 05:33 PM
Bravo, bravo!
*Bows*

Starmantle + evasion should be on that list somewhere

without evasion (which most if not all dms will not allow coupled with this) it is still pretty decent
Yup, it should. Will amend.

Cleric

Shield of Faith, Sanctuary (While you play buffbot), Protection from Evil (IF the DM uses possession effects or aligned summons), Conviction [SpC], Vision of Glory [SpC].
Resist Energy, Protection from Positive Energy (If you are Undead. Bloody useless otherwise) [SpC], Lesser Spell Immunity [SpC], Benediction [CChamp], Body Ward [CChamp], Soul Ward [CChamp], Luminous Armor (Beware the cost, and is good only) , Masochism/Sadism (Cheese potential.) [BoVD].
Magic Circle against Evil (See PfE above), Magic Vestment, Prayer (Offensive use as well), Protection from Energy, Mass Resist Energy [SpC], [B]Lesser Visage of the Deity [SpC], Footsteps of the Divine (depends somewhat on deity) [CChamp], Alter Fortune [PHB2], Channeled Divine Shield (if you end up having 2 rounds to cast it, at least) [PHB2], Energy Aegis [PHB2].
Air Walk, Death Ward (Energy drain? No.), Freedom of Movement (Grapples? No.), Imbue with Spell Ability, Neutralize Poison, Spell Immunity (make sure you have done your homework on your enemies!), Contingent Energy Resistance [SpC], Lesser Holy Transformation [SpC], Life Ward (if you're undead) [SpC], Recitation [SpC], Sheltered Vitality [SpC], Mass Shield of Faith [SpC], Delay Death (combo with other spells for massive cheese) [SpC], Greater Luminous Armor .
Spell Resistance (Use wisely!), Divine Agility (Have the Rogue kiss your feet afterwards) [SpC], Life's Grace (Death Ward+) [SpC], [B]Surge of Fortune [CChamp], Swift Etherealness [PHB2].
Antilife Shell, Heroes' Feast, Energy Immunity [SpC], Superior Resistance [SpC], Visage of the Deity [SpC], Stone Body [SpC], Eyes of the Oracle [DMagic]. (This level is packed with goodies. Stone Body is probably the least of the ones I listed here, and it's still damn useful for Clerics.)
Ethereal Jaunt, Mass Spell Resistance (Use wisely!) [SpC], Holy Star [SpC], Shield of the Archons [BoED].
Holy Aura, Veil of Undeath [SpC]
Miracle (some uses. Use it to copy awesome buffs from other lists.), Greater Visage of the Diety [SpC]

Am I going crazy? Why don't I see more good buffs of levels 7-9? :smallconfused:

Tyndmyr
2010-11-03, 05:47 PM
Honestly, 9th level spells don't generally tend to be buffs. They're dramatic reality altering spells, or epic attack spells or the like.

There is Foresight, though. Foresight is freaking awesome.

Etherialness probably also counts as a defensive buff of sorts. At that level, plenty of ways exist to counter it, but it certainly has it's uses.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-03, 06:06 PM
*Bows*

Yup, it should. Will amend.

Cleric

Shield of Faith, Sanctuary (While you play buffbot), Protection from Evil (IF the DM uses possession effects or aligned summons), Conviction [SpC], Vision of Glory [SpC].
Resist Energy, Protection from Positive Energy (If you are Undead. Bloody useless otherwise) [SpC], Lesser Spell Immunity [SpC], Benediction [CChamp], Body Ward [CChamp], Soul Ward [CChamp], Luminous Armor (Beware the cost, and is good only) , Masochism/Sadism (Cheese potential.) [BoVD].
Magic Circle against Evil (See PfE above), Magic Vestment, Prayer (Offensive use as well), Protection from Energy, Mass Resist Energy [SpC], [B]Lesser Visage of the Deity [SpC], Footsteps of the Divine (depends somewhat on deity) [CChamp], Alter Fortune [PHB2], Channeled Divine Shield (if you end up having 2 rounds to cast it, at least) [PHB2], Energy Aegis [PHB2].
Air Walk, Death Ward (Energy drain? No.), Freedom of Movement (Grapples? No.), Imbue with Spell Ability, Neutralize Poison, Spell Immunity (make sure you have done your homework on your enemies!), Contingent Energy Resistance [SpC], Lesser Holy Transformation [SpC], Life Ward (if you're undead) [SpC], Recitation [SpC], Sheltered Vitality [SpC], Mass Shield of Faith [SpC], Delay Death (combo with other spells for massive cheese) [SpC], Greater Luminous Armor .
Spell Resistance (Use wisely!), Divine Agility (Have the Rogue kiss your feet afterwards) [SpC], Life's Grace (Death Ward+) [SpC], [B]Surge of Fortune [CChamp], Swift Etherealness [PHB2].
Antilife Shell, Heroes' Feast, Energy Immunity [SpC], Superior Resistance [SpC], Visage of the Deity [SpC], Stone Body [SpC], Eyes of the Oracle [DMagic]. (This level is packed with goodies. Stone Body is probably the least of the ones I listed here, and it's still damn useful for Clerics.)
Ethereal Jaunt, Mass Spell Resistance (Use wisely!) [SpC], Holy Star [SpC], Shield of the Archons [BoED].
Holy Aura, Veil of Undeath [SpC]
Miracle (some uses. Use it to copy awesome buffs from other lists.), Greater Visage of the Diety [SpC]

Am I going crazy? Why don't I see more good buffs of levels 7-9? :smallconfused:
Checked my sources, and the level 8th spell Mystic Shield is THE deffensive buff.

As I said, complete immunity to spells and spell like abilites of sixth level and lowes (and by my reading it also affects SR: no spells like the orbs), makes weapons loose their enchancement bonus a special abilities when they attack you; the best of all mystic shield doesn't interferes with your own magic items or spellcasting.

Cost 400 GP per casting and it is rounds/level... but I think it is persistable (can anyone remind me if you can persist spells with Duration: rounds/level (D) please)

Tyndmyr
2010-11-03, 06:10 PM
Oh yes. In fact, they're often the BEST spells to persist.

ericgrau
2010-11-03, 06:24 PM
level 2: false life. Later get it empowered. It's a lot of HP, especially early on, and it lasts all day. I don't like defensive spells that make me lose a round of defeating monsters, unless they're really really good.

BeholderSlayer
2010-11-03, 06:31 PM
Level 8 - Ghostform - incorporeality, charisma as deflection bonus, immunity to non-magicals, etc etc (basically, you're a ghost but not undead) You even get to resolve all melee as incorporeal touch...use a ghost touch weapon

Level 8 (I think) - Mystic Shield - PURE AWESOME....immunity to level 6 and below spells, all weapons that strike you are treated as non-magical. Combine with the above and below spells to win at life.

Level 6 - Starmantle, all non-magical weapons that strike you are obliterated. Read the above spell, and laugh loudly.

I cannot stress enough how ridiculously awesome Mystic Shield happens to be. It can be found in Anauroch: Empire of Shade.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-03, 06:32 PM
Oh yes. In fact, they're often the BEST spells to persist.

Yay... now I need a way to persist it... Incantrix is one... or DMM persist a miracle.... hmmm

BeholderSlayer
2010-11-03, 06:36 PM
Yay... now I need a way to persist it... Incantrix is one... or DMM persist a miracle.... hmmm

There are plenty of ways to do it, Incantrix just happens to be the most popular.

One of my favorites is Spelldancer, specifically on sorcerers. Spelldancer 1 gives free metamagic for Perform (Dance) checks, and increasing saves to avoid exhaustion and con damage. But hey, you're a caster. Assume a form immune to exhaustion and con damage before dancing.

Metaphysical Spell Shaper - free metamagics for ability damage. Take Binder 1 and bind Niberius, or use the above tactic.

There are others, I guess I could just link a thread. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9876.0)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-03, 06:43 PM
well I didn't posted is, but I needed to find a way to persist it on a gish... spelldancer might be a worthwhilw dip in a swiftblade build.... I have most of the same feats anyway..

Thanks for the link, but let's stop derailing the thread pleaseĦ

BeholderSlayer
2010-11-03, 06:51 PM
One thing I would like to understand about the OP's intentions, is whether this is meant to be purely "personal defense" spells or general defense.

Spells like Wall of Stone can be irreplaceable defensive spells. It could be argued many of the best BC spells are "defensive" in nature. Blindness grants defensive bonuses. Denying actions is possibly the strongest defense available.

However, these things could also be called offensive.

Toptomcat
2010-11-03, 10:22 PM
Let's restrict this to exclusively personal defenses and not battlefield control and debuffs, otherwise we'll be here all day. Exceptions may be made for debuffs that only degrade your target's attempts to attack *you*.

Okay, I decided to do more psionics just since it's a much smaller system than Cleric/Wizard/Sorc/Druid spells. There follows a somewhat haphazard evaluation of every defensive power in the ExPSI or Complete Psionics book.

Vigor (Psion/PsiWar 1) is a staple, particularly with the psicrystal/Share Pain trick.
Empty Mind (Psion/PsiWar 1) is okay, as an unnamed, augmentable bonus to Will saves as an immediate action.
Force Screen (Psion/PsiWar 1) is kind of eh, at 1 min/lvl and poorly augmentable.
Inertial Armor (Psion/PsiWar 1) is by contrast better than Mage Armor by a considerable margin, being easily augmentable and sharing its generous duration.
Defensive Precognition (Psion/PsiWar 1) is non-terrible, granting a rare bonus type (insight) to AC and all saves for min/level and having some somewhat attractive options for augmentation.
Synesthete (Psion/PsiWar 1) is unique and useful in that it grants some rather rare immunities, to blindness, deafness and gaze attacks. Duration isn't bad either at 10 minutes/level.
Concealing Amorpha (Psion/PsiWar 2) is Psionic Blink minus you having a miss chance, which is nice. Miss chances always are.
Specified Energy Adaptation (Psion/PsiWar 2) is Psionic Energy Resistance that you can augment to use as an immediate action, which is also nice.
Energy Adaptation itself (Psion/PsiWar 4) scales quite nicely with level, provides resistance to all energy damage, and can be augmented for use as an immediate action, which while not crazy good is very solidly useful.
Share Pain (Psion/PsiWar 2) is, as mentioned earlier, boss in conjunction with Vigor.
Biofeedback (Psion/PsyWar 2) is kind of nice if you're playing at a level of optimization for which single-digit/low-teens DR is relevent.
Danger Sense's (Psion/PsiWar 3) base ability is kind of mediocre, but the augmentation abilities to gain Uncanny Dodge and Improved Uncanny Dodge for hours/level are golden. You need four sorcerer-only spells to do that with arcane magic.
Energy Retort (Psion/PsiWar 3) is a dramatically more versatile and powerful as a damage shield than Fire Shield, even if it does lack its passive defensive benefits and require a ranged touch touch attack.
Mental Barrier (Psion/PsiWar 3) is another entry in psionics' useful arsenal of immediate action defenses, but deflection bonuses to AC are pretty common...
Time Hop (Psion/PsiWar 3) can be used defensively, particularly when you know that there's a Big Something that will soon be there, then gone.
Empathic Feedback (Psion 3/PsiWar 2) is great in combination with Vigor and multiple Energy Retorts, not so hot on its own.
Psionic Freedom of Movement (Psion/PsiWar 4) is just as good as its arcane counterpart.
Intellect Fortress (Psion/PsiWar 4) is totally awesome- an immediate-action defense that halves the hit point or ability damage from any incoming spell or SLA not only for you, but for every ally within a 20 ft. radius spread of you, and can be augmented to last multiple rounds.
Adapt Body (Psion/PsiWar 5) is...well, better than Endure Elements and of some use if underwater or submerged in lava, and 1 hr/level, but still not really a fifth-level effect.
Incarnate (Psion 5) is less versatile than its arcane counterpart and still vulnerable to getting lots of your XP stripped away with a simple Dispel Magic, but Danger Sense might be worth it for Improved Uncanny Dodge forever. Still probably a waste of a power known.
Power Resistance (Psion 5) is also spell resistance, but this is less useful than its arcane counterpart due to its effect scaling uncapped with Manifester Level but there being fewer ways to boost ML than CL.
Tower of Iron Will (Psion 5) is eh.
Personal Mind Blank (Psion 7/PsiWar 6) is kind of remarkable: you're getting early access to a really crucial toy that other classes have to wait a painfully long time for.
Psionic Contingency (Psion 6) is actually slightly very slightly less useful, comparatively speaking, to psions than the arcane version is to arcane types, but that's only because of their array of great immediate-action defensive options. Still a must.
Suspend Life (Psion/PsiWar 6) might conceivably be used as a defense in a play-possum sense in direst emergency.
Evade Burst (Psion 7/PsiWar 3) is Evasion in a can, and can be augmented to be Improved Evasion in a can. The PsyWar version might be worth it, the Psion version is contemptibly weak for its level.
Psionic Moment of Prescience (Psion 7) kind of sucks compared to its arcane counterpoint: sure, it's down a level, but the duration is down to ROUNDS/level rather than hours/level. Even for a one-time dischargable spell, that's harsh.
Oak Body (Psion 7/PsiWar 5) grants a big 'ol laundry list of immunities as well as a number of other, less important effects. The nice thing about this is that arcane spell failure is completely irrelevant to you.
Psionic Iron Body (Psion 8) is nice for more or less exactly the same reasons, in more or less exactly the same ways. So take Oak Body instead unless DR in the teens, enhancement bonuses to Strength, or the explicit ability to survive the crushing pressure at the bottom of the ocean are relevent to you.
Psionic Mind Blank (Psion 8) is good in exactly the same ways as its arcane counterpart, but depending on how important party buffing is to you Personal Mind Blank a spell level or two earlier may have obviated for this you. Quirky note: its duration, rather than the arcane version's '24 hours', is 'one day', which I guess might help in campaign settings where the day doesn't follow a 24-hour cycle?
Shadow Body (Psion 8) grants immunities- not as many as Oak Body, but it also makes you sneaky.
True Metabolism (Psion 8) is sort of interesting but not really fast enough to be relevant at the level at which it's gained.
Affinity Field (Psion 9) requires a save, and is not enough on its own, but is nice in combination with Empathic Feedback, Vigor, Share Pain, and multiple Energy Retorts.
Pain Affinity Field (Pain and Suffering 9, Psion 9) (CpsI) is better for this purpose, though.
Psionic Etherealness (Psion 9) is just like its arcane counterpart- a nice defense but not without counters at the level you get it at.
Timeless Body (Psion 9) eats up your standard action, can't be quickened, and only lasts one round, but as noted earlier the whole 'you are invulnerable to all attacks and powers' schtick is a worldbeater.
Thicken Skin (Egoist/Psywar 1) is eh.
Animal Affinity (Egoist/Psywar 2) is okay defensively when used with Con or Dex, though you really should have items doing its job before long.
Ectoplasmic Form's (Egoist/Psywar 3) advantages don't really outweigh its disadvantages if you're focusing on defense.
Metamorphosis (Egoist 4) is Polymorph, which is boss, plus inanimate objects, which can be extremely surprising since your manifesting is totally unrestricted by such niceties as verbal and material components.
Psychofeedback (Egoist/Psywar 5) directed at Con or Dex can be okay defensively, as long as you're comfortable with a round/level benefit with a drawback that's measured in days. It's not a typed bonus of any kind or even a bonus at all, which means that it stacks with everything.
Greater Metamorphosis (Egoist 9) is Shapechange (rah rah rah) plus inanimate objects (tricky) plus an XP cost.
:smallfurious:
Inertial Barrier (Kineticist/PsyWar 4) suffers the Psychofeedback problem: it's certainly nice if single-digit DR/-- is relevant.
Fiery Discorporation (Kineticist 5) is 'don't die as an immediate action' as a 5th level power, so long as you can make a DC 5 + damage dealt Will save. Stupid crazy.
Reddopsi (Kineticist 7) is, with transparency, Spell Turning with an unlimited number of spell levels turned. Which is ridiculous.
Psionic Telekinetic Sphere (Kineticist 8) is exactly as good as the magical version, which is to say eh for its level.
Psionic Fly (Nomad 4) is inferior to the arcane version at a higher level. Have the party wizard cast this on you instead.
Teleport Trigger (Nomad 5) is Contingency-lite, and is particularly good in campaigns that don't permit the Craft Contingent Spell feat.
Ethereal Jaunt (Nomad 7) is exactly as good as the arcane version.
The important part about Mass Time Hop (Nomad 8) isn't that it's Mass: it's that it can happen as an immediate action, lasts Hours/level and isn't blocked by a Dimensional Anchor or traceable by Trace Teleport or similar. The definitive bug-out spell, so long as your opponents don't somehow catch on to what's happening and take to setting ambushes at the exact place you were fifteen hours earlier.
Time Regression (Nomad 9) is utterly unique as a 'edit --> undo' button for flash TPKs, so long as you can survive long enough to take that standard action (and if you're paying attention to a guide like this, you really oughtta!). One instance where a steep XP cost is worth it.
Precognition (Seer 1) is....sort of nice as an insulating buffer against early save-or-loses like Sleep or Color Spray.
Second Chance (Seer 5) would be better if it weren't rounds/level, and there are ways to do what it does better, but it's still kind of nice.
Greater Precognition (Seer 6) is borderline not worth it. The duration boost saves it from being completely useless.
Fate of One (Seer 7) is very nice indeed- immediate-action save rerolls are pretty sweet.
Greater Concealing Amorpha (Seer/PsyWar 3) is a 50% miss chance for a 3rd level power. That is good. Rounds/level, though.
Astral Seed (Shaper 8) is an inferior Clone, but Clone is pretty sweet- extra lives always are.
True Mind Switch (Telepath 9) into a body that has lots of natural immunities and defenses is a very interesting if high-level option.
Compression (PsyWar 1) makes you smaller, which is defensively a net gain, and has flexible augmentation options.
Psionic Levitate (Psion, Nomad, PsyWar 2) is, like its arcane counterpart, the earliest possible Immunity to Melee spell.
Thought Shield (Psion/PsyWar 2) is kind of pants at base, and obsoleted at high levels by the Mind Blank family, but it does augment well.
Immovability (PsyWar 4) is kind of problematic and schizophrenic. It might be useful as a Psion power, or if it granted higher DR, or, or...its immediate-action augmentation option is kind of nice to prevent Baleful Teleports and similar effects, but that's too much of a corner case for me to care about unduly.
Dispelling Buffer (Kineticist/PsyWar 6) provides an extremely useful and otherwise unseen effect, though a Ring of Enduring Arcana is similar.
Form of Doom (PsyWar 6) is a fun all-around spell but considered in terms of pure defense, it's not great.

Complete Psionic:
Anticipatory Strike (Psion 5, Time 5) is Psionic White Raven Tactics, and is just as good at giving you defensive actions as it is at everything else.
Breathless (Elements 3) grants an immunity that comes up very rarely. Ignore it.
Call Armor (Justice 2, PsyWar 1) is nice, but if you use it why aren't you wearing armor all the time?
Damp Power (Guardian 2, Psion 2, PsyWar 2) is yet another great immediate-action defense, this time against all spells with rolled damage or ability damage. The augmentation option makes this not merely lifesaving but party-saving, and at the level this is available at it's truly great.
Deflection Field (Force 1, Psion/PsyWar 1) is eh. Okay at low levels if you have a way to concentrate as a swift action...but on further reflection, aren't all the available ways made available at high level?
Dimension Hop (Freedom 1) is, like Anklets of Translocation, swift-action teleportation, which means a grapple/Forcecage escape. But Anklets of Translocation do the same thing. Buy them instead.
Earth Walk (Elements/PsyWar/Psion 2) can serve as a more useful but more situational 'suck it, melee' than Levitation, and at the same level.
Energy Emanation (Psion/PsyWar 2) is not strictly speaking a defensive spell, but it can discourage creatures from getting close to you, and has synergy with 'damage shield' setups with Pain Affinity Field, Empathic Feedback, Vigor, Share Pain, and multiple Energy Retorts.
Energy Manipulation's (Energy 5) defensive applications are mediocre for its level.
Energy Nullification Field (Kineticist 5, Psion 6) is interesting as a substitute for Mind over Energy if you're a Kineticist.
Evade Attack (Lurk 2, Nomad 2) is kind of pants in its ordinary application, but its augment is a cool little Wings of Cover-lite. Negate any one attack as an immediate action with a ML check indeed. It would be amazing if the CL check didn't cap at +10.
Can From the Brink (Life 2) be used on yourself? If so, it's pretty nice, if not great. If not, it's pretty poor.
Greater Glory's (Good 8) best benefits are reproduced by Protection from Evil. Not remotely worth it at that level.
Incite Bravery (Justice 2, PsyWar 2) gives perhaps the easiest-to-get immunity in the game. Yawn.
Mind over Energy (Guardian, PsyWar, Psion 6) gives straight-up immunity to an energy type, which never gets old.
Perfect Riposte (Justice 6, PsyWar 5) is another power that can be defensive in that it incentivises your enemies to hit other guys, but the kind of defensively-focused full caster that this guide is for won't get much mileage out of it. Great for a Robilar's/Karmic masochist build, though.
Planar Apotheosis (Evil 4, Good 4, Psion/Psywar 4) gives a grab bag of comparatively minor defensive benefits. There are better defensive spells for the level.
Psionic Protection from [Alignment] (Evil or Good 1) is just as spiffy as its arcane counterpart.
Protection from Psionics (Guardian 5) is actually much better than its arcane and clerical counterpart (Protection from Spells), being lower-level but augmentable, lacking its expensive material component or focus, and most importantly granting a relatively rare *insight* bonus to saves rather than a ridiculously common *Resistance* bonus. +++++ would manifest again.
For that reason, Psionic Protection from Spells (Magic 8) is an incredibly stupid thing to manifest.
Rage of the Rhemoraz (PsyWar 6) is mediocre, especially considering the level at which you can manifest it and its rounds/level duration.
Realized Potential (Psion 3) provides a rare +1 competence bonus to all saves. Not great anyway due to its rounds/level duration...maybe as a 2nd-level power?
Spirit of War (Conflict 8) is rounds/level but kind of nice anyway due to granting a Moment of Prescience-style one-time substantial save bonus to each member of the entire party as well as having offensive benefits.
Stygian Erasure (PsyWar 2) is not strictly defensive but is effectively Never Worry about the Long-Term Effects of Negative Levels Again, and is worth having a power stone of it around in the levels before the party cleric can cast Restoration, or even a dorje if in an undead-heavy campaign.
Stygian Veil (Death 8, psion 8) is another 'laundry list of immunities' power, even more so than Oak or Iron Body: the loss of HP should be largely irrelevant if you're going defense-focused since you should never be getting hit.
Stygian Ward (Death 4) is effectively Death Ward, which is very useful.
Telekinetic Buffer (Psion 5) is a lot like a lower-level, shorter-duration Antilife Shell without the pesky vulnerability to undead and constructs but plus an annoying vulnerability to Very Large Things. Not truly stellar, but very solid.
Temporal Reiteration (Nomad 5) in combination with extremely short-duration effects like Intellect Fortress is very good: in combination with Timeless Body it's stupid broken.
Zone of Alertness (Lurk 2, Psion 2) is a nice little party buff, and has an augmentation option that works like Foresight-lite.