PDA

View Full Version : Some Poisonous Questions

Chess435
2010-11-03, 02:33 PM
I'm currently working on a Halfling Rouge 5/ Fighter 1 for a campaign where I am hunted by higher level players. I have a few questions to help create my character:

Do injury poisons work with bludgeoning weapons?
What feats should I pick up to increase my poison's effectiveness? I'm currently using drow poison due to the fact that I'm on a tight budget.

jcsw
2010-11-03, 02:53 PM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0

Injury Poisons work with bludgeoning weapons just fine, AFAIK, strange as it seems.

Shadowleaf
2010-11-03, 03:05 PM

Injury Poisons work with bludgeoning weapons just fine, AFAIK, strange as it seems.
Poisons are mainly contact based - which is why there is such a high chance of poisining yourself, unless you are trained in using them.
Does not make sense if the person is wearing a fullplate, though.

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-03, 03:11 PM
Blugeoning weapons can totally break the skin. I don't see what the problem is.

Greenish
2010-11-03, 04:09 PM
You're poison using halfling? Go Black Dog!

Chess435
2010-11-03, 05:09 PM
Where can I find it? I don't have much in the way of source books...

Akal Saris
2010-11-03, 05:38 PM
Black Dog is in the Dragonmarked Supplement for Eberron.

Basics of the class:
Fluff: Halfling rogues' organization who specialize in poisons. They see themselves as freedom fighters, others consider them anarchists or terrorists.
Reqs: 4R in Bluff, Sleight of Hand; 8 in Hide. Feat: Least Dragonmark (gives a 1/day prestigitation or create food & water). Special: trained by a member.
Chassis: 5 levels long. 6 skills/level, d6 HD, 3/4 BAB, good fort/ref.
Abilities: All center around using poisons - you gain poison use at 1st, death attack at 2nd, and the ability to use your SLAs from Least Dragonmark to create poisons.

Good luck with the character!

Coidzor
2010-11-03, 05:45 PM

Well, you can create abrasions and tear the skin with blunt trauma.

Lev
2010-11-03, 05:47 PM
So basically anything that can injure can apply an injury poison? Oh the ridiculous improvised weapons that can be exploited.

Shadowleaf
2010-11-03, 05:48 PM
So basically anything that can injure can apply an injury poison? Oh the ridiculous improvised weapons that can be exploited.Pretty sure Sneak Attack Loincloth can poison people. :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2010-11-03, 06:03 PM
I'm currently working on a Halfling Rouge 5/ Fighter 1 for a campaign where I am hunted by higher level players. I have a few questions to help create my character:

Do injury poisons work with bludgeoning weapons?
What feats should I pick up to increase my poison's effectiveness? I'm currently using drow poison due to the fact that I'm on a tight budget.

Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a)and taking one of the poisonous druid companions available at druid level 4 when you hit level 7 or one of the poisonous level 1 companions available. (Are there any at that low of a level? I know at level 10 you can get a basic fleshraker which will have dex poison to harvest) Swindlespitter from MM3 seems to be your best bet, though sea snakes might be air-breathers if you can't have dinosaurs. Stingray would be nice to have to keep at home and handle animal to get the poison from it, as even a dc 12 vs. nausea measured in hours can be spammed on ammunition.

If you're on a tight budget, I'm guessing buying a poisonous animal to harvest poison from is out. Warbeast from MM2, by the way, gives animals prices and Con +3, so that's between +1 or +2 on the DC right there, and it increases their HD so that could raise the DC by 1 again. Then again, if you've been buying poison (which you shouldn't do), you can refrain from the expenditure and get a 1 HD base poisonous animal with the warbeast template (so it'd have 2 HD) for ~100 gp...

You should probably look at Salvo (complete scoundrel) instead of Drow Sleep Poison if you're on a tight budget, since you can make salvo easily and more quickly and the materials for it are more likely to be readily at hand for the 1/6th price for creating it. Can even make enough of it in a go to produce enough to sell on top of the amount you use. 1/2-1/6 = 1/3 of the price of the poison in profit, after all.

Lev
2010-11-03, 07:44 PM
Pretty sure Sneak Attack Loincloth can poison people. :smallbiggrin:

Can you SA with improv weapons?

dsmiles
2010-11-03, 07:52 PM
Black Dog is in the Dragonmarked Supplement for Eberron.

Basics of the class:
Fluff: Halfling rogues' organization who specialize in poisons. They see themselves as freedom fighters, others consider them anarchists or terrorists.
Reqs: 4R in Bluff, Sleight of Hand; 8 in Hide. Feat: Least Dragonmark (gives a 1/day prestigitation or create food & water). Special: trained by a member.
Chassis: 5 levels long. 6 skills/level, d6 HD, 3/4 BAB, good fort/ref.
Abilities: All center around using poisons - you gain poison use at 1st, death attack at 2nd, and the ability to use your SLAs from Least Dragonmark to create poisons.
Huh. And here I thought he was referencing the holy symbol of Urgoalan, the Halfling god of the dead and the afterlife...

Shadowleaf
2010-11-03, 08:27 PM
Can you SA with improv weapons?
You can sneak attack with just about everything.

Greenish
2010-11-03, 08:33 PM
Can you SA with improv weapons?Why not?

Huh. And here I thought he was referencing the holy symbol of Urgoalan, the Halfling god of the dead and the afterlife...Ghallanda is a halfling word that translates to something like "helpful hound who appears when needed most", and Black Dogs are the dark side of House Ghallanda (who denies their existence and punishes all caught practitioners).

Lev
2010-11-03, 08:38 PM
You can sneak attack with just about everything.

My bad, I was mixing up SA with weapon finesse.

BenTheJester
2010-11-03, 09:02 PM
So basically anything that can injure can apply an injury poison? Oh the ridiculous improvised weapons that can be exploited.

Ever watch a boxing match?

Cuts are frequent, and they are created by nothing other than a punch, dulled with gloves.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-03, 09:07 PM
Didn't one Iron Chef challenge had a black dog entry? I think it was the Mindspy one.... might be a good idea to check it for ideas.

Coidzor
2010-11-03, 09:11 PM
Didn't one Iron Chef challenge had a black dog entry? I think it was the Mindspy one.... might be a good idea to check it for ideas.

Nicolo Egidi, Green Star Adept challenge (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8888537&postcount=155)

Another one, Psibond Agent (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8209686&postcount=187)

dgnslyr
2010-11-04, 02:26 AM
Chaos Flasks or Minor Creation for all the poisons you could want. Lotus Extract's made of plant components, right?

Creation, Minor Psionic is a first-level power. A dip into Psion for all the poison you could want is worth considering. Of course, the poison wouldn't last very long, but long enough for the effect to kick in.

Coidzor
2010-11-04, 04:13 AM
Also, shape sand item wise. Or the feat Hidden Talent in order to grab the psionic minor creation without devoting a level to it.

dsmiles
2010-11-04, 04:31 AM
Ghallanda is a halfling word that translates to something like "helpful hound who appears when needed most", and Black Dogs are the dark side of House Ghallanda (who denies their existence and punishes all caught practitioners).

Interesting, though, admittedly, I'm not really into Eberron. That is Eberron, right? (By not really, I mean: I really dislike it.)

Kurald Galain
2010-11-04, 04:49 AM
Look out, Graham, a POIsonous question!

:smalltongue:

Amphetryon
2010-11-04, 06:35 AM
Someone linked Nicolo! :smallcool:

One reason Nicolo used Hexblade is it allowed him to debuff the target before going for the kill with poison.

Binder, Paladin of Tyranny, and Blackguard are also good for this purpose, as are certain Sor/Wiz, Cleric, and Druid spells, particularly in the Necromancy school.

JaronK
2010-11-04, 04:46 PM
Terrifying Strike and Sickening Strike are both useful... each sacrifices 1d6 sneak attack for a -2 to enemy saves (as well as the rest of the Shaken/Sickened condition). The "Assassination" property for weapons adds an effective 1d6 sneak attack as well as adding the bonus of your weapon to poison DCs for just a +1 bonus, so combined with a Tooth of Leraje (CL 20 Greater Magic Weapon on one of your weapons) that's a +5 to the DC.

Get a way to cast Minor Creation (the Psionic version may be easier) and you can create huge amounts of either Black Lotus Poison (3d6 con/3d6 con, DC 20) or Sinmaker's Surprise (2d6 con/2d6 con, DC 24, adds 1d6 acid damage for three rounds in addition) effectively free, since they're both made of vegetable compounds. Just make sure you have enough Craft Poison. You probably want to use archery if you do this so you can poison all your arrows in advance. A Splitting bow of Assassination is amazing for this.

JaronK