PDA

View Full Version : Sumo in 3.5?

mamothpriest
2010-11-03, 02:42 PM
The title explains it all. I'm looking for build advice and perhaps homebrew that would allow me to create a sumo-style character (probly based on monk is what common sense would suggest)

Thanks in advance, I look forward to reading any replies, ideas, and suggestions.

Yora
2010-11-03, 02:42 PM
That would probably be a grapple build.

PersonMan
2010-11-03, 02:56 PM
I'm thinking powerful build for the +4 to Grapple checks.

Grynning
2010-11-03, 03:00 PM
Monk is actually pretty bad at Grappling, due to the low BAB and need for attributes besides Strength. Fighter or Barbarian do it better.

In standard 3.5, size is the biggest factor in grappling success. You're going to need some way to increase your size early, and get as big as possible as you go up in level. You NEED to read THIS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7081777).

Also, Reaping Mauler is a trap. Just don't do it. If you don't know what it is, good, if you do, just avoid it like the plague.

Kylarra
2010-11-03, 03:03 PM
Monk 2/PsyWar 18 with Tash probably would do fine using expansion and such.

Susano-wo
2010-11-03, 03:11 PM
if PF is allowed, you could use their monk, since they would get full BAB for grapple. I would actually suggest (cue theme music) Tome of Battle! though the BAB is not as much, Sword Sage can toss people about with the throw abilities from Setting Sun, and using some of the stone dragon maneuvers/stances, you could simulate your toughness/unmovableness

Or, if you want Full BAB, Warblade with martial study for some setting sun abilities like the X throw line, focusing on stone dragon

SurlySeraph
2010-11-03, 03:19 PM
If you have Tome of Battle, the various Setting Sun throws would work well.

HunterOfJello
2010-11-03, 03:20 PM
Dungeon Crasher Fighter for extra bullrushing damage. You can dip into other classes like Psychic Warrior, to improve your size and things, but try to keep your BAB as high as possible.

Your other feats should be spent on Improved Bullrush and Overrun. Shock Trooper will be useful later on once you hit level 6.

~

Going around almost naked like a Sumo wrestler isn't a very good idea. Unless you keep Mage Armor and Shield on all the time, you're better off with a Sumo-type build while wearing Chainmail at the least.

A large character would be great for a build like this. Half-Ogre is a personal favorite and a great +1 LA race. Convince your DM to allow LA reduction and you'll be fine.

~

A dip into Warblade after level 6 of Fighter is pretty much a must. You can grab Leading the Charge as a stance, Charging Minotaur, Battle Leader’s Charge, and Mountain Hammer in a 1 level dip.

Person_Man
2010-11-03, 03:23 PM
I have a weird Super Mario type build somewhere that might work for you. The goal of the build is to weigh as much as possible. Play a Warforged, take Adamantine Body and Deformity Obese, and use the link Grynning provided to increase your size as much as possible. Then use Jump or Dimension Door to stomp on people, dealing damage based on your weight (assuming the DM is willing to treat you as an "object" for the purpose of your fall, which by RAW does not apply). It'd be easy to work in Grapple and Bull Rush (or both, if you're willing to take a few levels of Kensai for rocket fists) since they're both modified by size.

Susano-wo
2010-11-03, 03:29 PM
obese warforged. I will now go off into the corner to cry....:smallyuk:

Greenish
2010-11-03, 03:37 PM
A large character would be great for a build like this. Half-Ogre is a personal favorite and a great +1 LA race. Convince your DM to allow LA reduction and you'll be fine.Half-Ogre the 3.5 race is +2 LA.

I'd try with barbarian/fighter going Fist of the Forest. You'll end up at level 7 with full BAB, Con to AC and, hmm, 1d10 unarmed damage (so 2d8 with Imp Natural Attack).

Tashatalora and totemist would be better grapplers, but FotF is a bit more mundane, so to say.

[Edit]:
It'd be easy to work in Grapple and Bull Rush (or both, if you're willing to take a few levels of Kensai for rocket fists) since they're both modified by size.Battle Jump woot.

Tetsubo 57
2010-11-03, 07:11 PM
I think I remember a Sumo idea in the Quintessential Monk splatbook. But I'm not sure.

AslanCross
2010-11-03, 07:13 PM
Unarmed Swordsage specializing in Setting Sun and Stone Dragon for Charging Minotaur and Crushing Weight of the Mountain? (The Mountain Hammer maneuvers can simply be the sumo open hand strikes).

Eldariel
2010-11-03, 07:51 PM
Huh? Sumo = Dungeoncrasher Fighter [Dungeonscape]. Push people around (with Bull Rush). Knock 'em down or to walls (out of ring) for massive damage. That's really all you need. Pick up Improved and Superior Unarmed Strike, something that allows converting an attack into a Bull Rush (like Driving Attack [PHBII] or Knockback [Races of Stone]; Rampaging Bull Rush [Races of Stone] allows you to bull rush people prone too for some Ochio Throw funkiness á la Edmond Honda), state that you are doing your Unarmed Attacks with your body (you are allowed to use any part of your body for unarmed attacks) and start pushing people around. For massive damage.

Some of the feats require large size or powerful build but a Human with Jotunbrud [Player's Guide to Faerun] should qualify quite fine (it effectively makes you count as large for bull rushing, tripping and so on; in effect, sorta Powerful Build). And it works with your goal anyways.

You could also use some Tome of Battle maneuvers; especially the level 1 Stone Dragon maneuver "Charging Minotaur" and the various Setting Sun throws are of interest. As such, I suggest 6 levels in Fighter (for Dungeoncrasher), then some Unarmed Swordsage and maybe two levels of Monk for various bonus feats. Warblade works too, though it lacks Setting Sun Access, but it has full BAB which is always convenient. But yeah, Fighter 6 with Dungeoncrasher variant is absolutely awesome.

And if you don't want too much Wisdom and more Constitution (seems pretty reasonable for a Sumo), you could take Fist of the Forests [Complete Champion] and refluff it a bit. And maybe Stoneblessed + Deepwarden; this way your AC would be entirely Constitution-based (two times your Con into AC). Though it would eat 6 more levels leaving you with only 8 to play with for the full stretch of the 20 levels, something you won't probably see.

Coidzor
2010-11-03, 09:39 PM
If you want to go around with a bare belleh or something like that while still benefiting from a suit of armor, there's a make of armor, I think Ysgardian Heart Armor that's right up your alley.

Amiel
2010-11-04, 01:17 AM
Probably also try Drunken Fist, and have your character be empowered by sake.

Godless_Paladin
2010-11-04, 01:48 AM
Monk is actually pretty bad at Grappling, due to the low BAB and need for attributes besides Strength. Fighter or Barbarian do it better. Heck, Wizards do it better. http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=13119