PDA

View Full Version : Announcing: Competitor Forums

Fax Celestis
2010-11-03, 09:47 PM
A few of my friends and I have decided to create our own forum entitled Competitor Games (http://forum.faxcelestis.net/), one specifically based around homebrew design. Why a new forum instead of one of many other existing ones? Well, we felt that we needed a place where we had closer command over our creations, and where the primary focus of the forum was centered around design, rather than around discussion of existing mechanics.

We also have plans in the future to set up a program wherein you can publish your material through Competitor, using it as your publishing label. Of course we'll have a screening process so we can keep a high quality standard, but we'll also attempt to help you get your creations up to that standard. That is actually one of the things that the founders pride themselves on: I, and my associates, strongly feel that the greatest strength of pen and paper games is their infinite expandability, and the best way to do that is to assist others in making their creations the best that they can be.

However, sometimes homebrewed material takes a course that doesn't fit underneath a forum's rules: some material (such as the d20r Sexy extension that NekoIncardine is working on) simply can't be published in a place like Giant in the Playground, as wonderful as this place is for getting advice on your homebrew. As such, development on that has been taken to the Competitor forums in conjunction with my wiki (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/). We have some very unique code built into the forum as well that lets you link your homebrew's thread to a specific page on the wiki and to a related thread on this forum as well.

Our biggest hope, fundamentally, is to make Competitor a place where people can go to for high quality reviews and polish on the homebrewed material and systems they have worked so hard on perfecting. As such, we hope that you visit us (http://forum.faxcelestis.net/) and stick around for a while: things are going to get interesting very quickly!

--James Raine

afroakuma
2010-11-03, 10:26 PM
I for one welcome your our old new Celestian inferior to fro overlords.

IcarusWings
2010-11-03, 11:57 PM
I'll have an account set up in 2 secs. I'll probably post some brew on there some time soon, but there won't much use until a few more people join.

(I do hope that you'll continue to post d20r here though too, and not just move entirely to Competitor Games)

The Tygre
2010-11-04, 01:03 AM
Meet your newest member.

I am coming for your women and your land.

Fax Celestis
2010-11-04, 09:14 AM
(I do hope that you'll continue to post d20r here though too, and not just move entirely to Competitor Games)

Yeah, I plan to crosspost for a while yet, but I intend on making the Competitor version the definitive one.

Hyooz
2010-11-04, 09:25 AM
Cool. Hopefully I'll be able to start posting some of my stuff up soon. The more activity the merrier.

Zaydos
2010-11-04, 10:07 AM
Yay homebrew forums!

That said my homebrewing has ground to a halt for the next 6 weeks.

mrcarter11
2010-11-04, 10:30 AM
I look forward to a new center of homebrew content. Perhaps a new mecca of homebrew shall arise.

the humanity
2010-11-04, 12:08 PM
how cool.

when I finish working out the fluff for my campaign setting it's going up on two websites :smallcool:

Mulletmanalive
2010-11-04, 01:16 PM
Well...

Maybe when you get the printing concern up and running...

{Scrubbed}

Fax Celestis
2010-11-04, 01:21 PM
{Scrub the original, scrub the quote}

He's still strictly under my purview, and you and I seem to get along, so I don't see the problem. Still, changing your opinion is not something I'll be likely to be able to do. I'll just indicate that people in forum administration are rarely liked, if only because they have to do their jobs.

WhiteShark
2010-11-04, 01:25 PM
Awesome. I put my Gunslinger class up on the Competitor. Hopefully it turns into the center of homebrew we all want it to be.

Mulletmanalive
2010-11-04, 02:04 PM
He's still strictly under my purview, and you and I seem to get along, so I don't see the problem. Still, changing your opinion is not something I'll be likely to be able to do. I'll just indicate that people in forum administration are rarely liked, if only because they have to do their jobs.

You do make a good point; I shall lurk with a pointedly open mind, then.

DracoDei
2010-11-04, 03:22 PM
Signing up, but I may have accidentally clicked the button that defines me as a minor... dunno.

Fax Celestis
2010-11-04, 03:49 PM
Signing up, but I may have accidentally clicked the button that defines me as a minor... dunno.

Foooooooox'd. You're all good now.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-04, 04:00 PM
I'll sign in as soon as I get to my normal computer, recently started homebrewing and more diffusion (and therefore critiques) are better.

Edge
2010-11-04, 04:04 PM
Count me in. I'll sign up pronto.

DracoDei
2010-11-05, 01:21 AM
Well, I still get a message that my account isn't validated when I try to log in, and the only e-mail I got only has a COPPA agreement to mail in. I don't see any way to get it to re-send the confirmation e-mail (hopefully NOT with the COPPA part), either.

Morph Bark
2010-11-05, 08:45 AM
How different from the GiantITP post coding will the coding for posts be on these forums? For instance, if I copy-paste one of my base classes from here and post it there, will it looked screwed up and require me to re-code everything, or will it look perfectly the same (aside from colour and font aesthetics)?

Fax Celestis
2010-11-05, 10:01 AM
How different from the GiantITP post coding will the coding for posts be on these forums? For instance, if I copy-paste one of my base classes from here and post it there, will it looked screwed up and require me to re-code everything, or will it look perfectly the same (aside from colour and font aesthetics)?

The only tags you should need to change are [thread=] [post=] and [size=]. GitP's Size tags are on a 1-7 scale, while ours are a percentage of normal size. Over here, Size=3 is big. Over there, Size=3 is reeeeeeeeeeally little. We've gone out of our way, actually, to make such a transition as easy as possible (in part due to my own massive stack of work for d20r that I didn't really relish reformatting in its entirety).

EDIT: ohright, [quote] will need to be altered somewhat (since the post-targeting won't work), and nested spoilers don't function. Full breakdown here (http://forum.faxcelestis.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23).

Fax Celestis
2010-11-05, 05:14 PM
Well, I still get a message that my account isn't validated when I try to log in, and the only e-mail I got only has a COPPA agreement to mail in. I don't see any way to get it to re-send the confirmation e-mail (hopefully NOT with the COPPA part), either.

Try now? Think we fixed it.

DracoDei
2010-11-05, 05:19 PM
Try now? Think we fixed it.

Success! Thank you!

Jokasti
2010-11-05, 05:43 PM
When I first saw this, I thought the title specifically meant that you were competing with GitP or something.
I don't do a lot of homebrew, but good luck.

The Antigamer
2010-11-06, 06:07 AM
Registered, if for nothing else than to lurk.

Debihuman
2010-11-06, 12:17 PM
I registered as well. I don't know when or if I'll have time to port any of my stuff over. I'll probably lurk for a bit as well.

Debby

PersonMan
2010-11-06, 01:07 PM
When I first saw this, I thought the title specifically meant that you were competing with GitP or something.
I don't do a lot of homebrew, but good luck.

This, plus the fact that I'm listening to songs about invasions...Odd mental imagery.

I'll be there. I've got some ideas stewing around that I could put on paper(or OpenOffice document/forum, whatever).

Fax Celestis
2010-11-06, 01:23 PM
Great, glad to hear it. If you need a sounding board for ideas, I recommend the IRC or just starting a thread.

*goes to make a thread about how to get on the IRC*

LOTRfan
2010-11-06, 03:58 PM
I joined. Am I allowed to start bringing the stuff I made here over there, or would that count as spamming?

DracoDei
2010-11-06, 04:03 PM
I already asked that question over there, and the answer was "Anything goes, as long as you aren't a jerk, and besides someone else was already doing it.".

LOTRfan
2010-11-06, 04:03 PM
Oh, thats what I get for not looking over there. :smallredface:

Thanks.

Fax Celestis
2010-11-06, 04:18 PM
I joined. Am I allowed to start bringing the stuff I made here over there, or would that count as spamming?

Absolutely. The rule is 'don't be a jerk', so as long as you're not being a jerk, it's okay. Did you want a subforum for your LOTR campaign or Sauric Isles campaign material? It qualifies as a "large project" IMO.

LOTRfan
2010-11-06, 04:24 PM
Actually, one for the Sauric Isles campaign would be pretty cool. I haven't worked on it in a couple weeks, but I do intend on getting back to it, and one place to keep it/PEACH it would be nice.

Fax Celestis
2010-11-06, 04:38 PM
Okay, I'll do that now.

EDIT: Done. You're a moderator there too, so you can delete/edit/lock topics.

LOTRfan
2010-11-06, 04:40 PM
Thanks. just stating that this is obligatory white text