PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 'Lore Class Feature'

Chaosblade
2010-11-03, 10:05 PM
What are all the classes that give the Lore Class Feature? I know of Loremaster and Tainted Scholar, but... quite frankly they both suck other than the Lore feature. Know of any others?

Grynning
2010-11-03, 10:07 PM
Well, Bards and Cloistered Clerics (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) get it at level 1.

Also, Loremaster does not "suck;" it's unquestionably better than just 10 more levels of Wizard, and Tainted Scholar does quite the opposite, in fact it's so good that it's often banned from most games.

herrhauptmann
2010-11-03, 10:13 PM
I always felt that Tainted scholar was strictly meh, until you started abusing the rules for "Taint". At which point it becomes this huge abomination that's impossible to beat.

Pretty sure that there's a few others. Gotta get home and back to my books before Personman shows up gives us EVERYTHING off of his list.

edit: Remembered one already, sorta. One of the harper prestige classes gets Lore. Pretty sure it's the Harper scout

kryan
2010-11-03, 10:20 PM
Tainted Scholar is one of the most broken things ever written for 3.5. And that's saying an awful lot. It's basically a Tier -Yes PrC.

Anyway, in terms of Lore, CChamp's Paragnostic Apostle gets Double Lore (a +10 bonus over 5 levels), which is kind of cool.

Crow
2010-11-03, 10:22 PM
What are all the classes that give the Lore Class Feature? I know of Loremaster and Tainted Scholar, but... quite frankly they both suck other than the Lore feature. Know of any others?

Loremaster doesn't *suck*!

Chaosblade
2010-11-03, 10:27 PM
Alright, let me clarify. I'm making a deity character, and I need the Lore class skill for True Knowledge. (Taking anything Bard related is out of the question; the character is being built using Dread Necromancer.) +3 hit points and +2 Fortitude isn't worth 10 levels of lost epic level Dread Necromancer, even more so on the latter parts (especially considering Tainted Scholar) since Liches don't have Constitution scores. I just want something that'll give a different sort of kick that will be more useful to me. Not to mention that we won't be using Taint.

Double Lore isn't the 'Lore Class Ability,' and thus doesn't count. I'm looking into the Harper Scout.

kryan
2010-11-03, 10:37 PM
Double Lore isn't the 'Lore Class Ability,' and thus doesn't count. I'm looking into the Harper Scout.
It's called Lore, it just gives twice the Paragnostic Apostle's level to the check.

Kylarra
2010-11-03, 10:43 PM
Prestige bard gets it too, but only 6/10 casting and given that you didn't like loremaster, I dunno.

Grynning
2010-11-03, 10:58 PM
Alright, let me clarify. I'm making a deity character, and I need the Lore class skill for True Knowledge. (Taking anything Bard related is out of the question; the character is being built using Dread Necromancer.) +3 hit points and +2 Fortitude isn't worth 10 levels of lost epic level Dread Necromancer, even more so on the latter parts (especially considering Tainted Scholar) since Liches don't have Constitution scores. I just want something that'll give a different sort of kick that will be more useful to me. Not to mention that we won't be using Taint.

Wait...you're making a "deity," or at least a character with epic level spellcasting, the silliest and most broken component of the game outside of Pun-Pun, and you're worried about a RAW way to get a class feature? :smallconfused:

Well, dipping cloistered cleric would be my suggestion, at low levels. You get domains, which you can use for all kinds of neat things. At high levels, a two-level dip of Loremaster really won't set you back at all, and will get you the feature you want. It's not like you have to take all 10 levels of it, and you won't lose any spellcasting.

Chaosblade
2010-11-03, 10:59 PM
It's called Lore, it just gives twice the Paragnostic Apostle's level to the check.

In that case, I'll have to look at it.

Wait...you're making a "deity," or at least a character with epic level spellcasting, the silliest and most broken component of the game outside of Pun-Pun, and you're worried about a RAW way to get a class feature? :smallconfused:

It's a deity-based game; everyone has divine rank 20. With as many features that are already broken or hard to understand (Divine Blast and Portfolios, respectively), we're trying to keep everything else simple.

Thurbane
2010-11-03, 11:04 PM
From Lists of Stuff:

functionally the same as "bardic knowledge", but called something else
Loremaster 2, ecl 9
Ollam 1, ecl 8, Complete Adventurer
Cloistered Cleric, variant class, Unearthed Arcana
Ardent Dilettante 1, ecl 6, Planar Handbook
Tainted Scholar 3, ecl 8, Heroes of Horror
Dragon Descendant 2, ecl 7, Dragon Magic, "Ancentral Lore", see text
Primal Scholar 1, ecl 8, Eberron: Secrets of Xen'drik, "Xed'Drik Lore"
Psion 1 (Seer), Mind's Eye expanded class (link), "psionic knowledge"
Merchant Prince 1, ecl 6, Power of Faerun, "mercantile knowledge"
Court Herald 1, ecl 8, Power of Faerun, "Lore"
Paragnostic Apostle, ecl 3?, Complete Champion, "Lore"
Celestial Mystic 5, ecl?, Book of Exalted Deeds, see text
Prophet of Erathaol 1, ecl 8, Book of Exalted Deeds, see text
Beast Heart Adept 2, ecl 7, Dungeonscape, "Monster Lore", see text

arguskos
2010-11-03, 11:14 PM
The Lists of Stuff failed to mention my favorite method to get this: Savant 1 (Dragon Compendium). Seriously, you want Lore and you are Int-based? Savant 1. :smallcool:

Grynning
2010-11-03, 11:18 PM
The Lists of Stuff failed to mention my favorite method to get this: Savant 1 (Spell Compendium). Seriously, you want Lore and you are Int-based? Savant 1. :smallcool:

I think you mean Dragon Compendium. Spell Compendium, while an awesome book, is notably short of classes as I recall.

In regards to playing a game with everyone at Divine Rank 20...:smallsigh:...well, it's your game, and I hope you have fun with it, but frankly, worrying about losing Dread Necromancer class features in a situation like that is kinda like being concerned about the safety of the kitchen stovetops in the Titanic.

arguskos
2010-11-03, 11:24 PM
I think you mean Dragon Compendium. Spell Compendium, while an awesome book, is notably short of classes as I recall.
Spell Compendium? I don't see anything involving that. :smalltongue: Thanks Broseidon, Lord of the Brocean ;)